Author Topic: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | Shipping!  (Read 71427 times)

Offline pararch

[GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | Shipping!
« on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 13:21:02 »

General Update 2023.09.14 Set is shipping to Vendors/Vendors are shipping to customers! Deskmats are in production. Monkei Artisan is complete and has shipped to vendors.

GB Date: March 21 - April 21 2022!

GB thread is where I'll be putting updates in line with Geekhack Guidelines (Monthly Updates). For faster updates, please join my Discord!

Join Discord for Updates

Marmoreal: To be made of or likened to marble.

A set inspired and themed around the marble and architecture of the Barcelona Pavilion.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

-Vendors-

CAN: Ashkeebs
USA: Vala Supply
LatAM: Fancy Customs
EU: MyKeyboard
UK: Protozoa Studio
IND: Rectangles.Store
SEA: Zion Studios
JP: Basekeys
CN: zFrontier
OCE: Daily Clack

_____________________________________________________________________________________

-Fulfillment-

Fulfilment date is TBD, however, considering GMK delays and backlog, this will likely be 2023 Q3-Q4.

-Pricing-

-Colours-

-A Bit of History-

More

Mies van der Rohe was commissioned by the German Government in 1928 to design and construct the German National Pavilion (more commonly known as the Barcelona Pavilion) for the 1929 Barcelona International Exposition. Collaborating with Lilly Reich, the pavilion was designed and built in a remarkably short amount of time- 18 months from design to unveiling. Completed in 1929, the building quickly became a Modernist classic, embodying the progressive, sleek and forward thinking ethos behind the movement. The original pavilion stood only for a short time, and was demolished in 1930 at the end of the exposition. In its short time standing, the pavilion gained an almost mystical aura, becoming one of the most influential modernist buildings to have ever been built; while hardly being seen by anyone. The pavilion was reconstructed during 1984-1986 by local Spanish architects and the Barcelona City Council on its original site, as a permanant structure. Rebuilt according to the original drawings and photographs, the Barcelona Pavilion in its current incarnation continues to be a remarkable piece of architecture that delights visitors today, and is a testament to Mies's skill as an architect and designer.

-Set Design-

More

The overall set colors and arrangment were inspired by the four types of marble used thoughout the pavilion's construction: Roman Travertine, Green Alpine, Ancient Green Greek and Golden Onyx. To simplify the number of colors (and cost), I opted to reduce the total number down to 3, with the green representing both the Green Alpine and Ancient Green Greek Marble. The novelties were based on significant features and moments in the current pavilion in addition to archived documents and drawings. As such, the novelties feature drawing sections and details, Georg Kolbe's sculpture Dawn, marble patterns and the like. In keeping with the Modernist basis, the choice was made to use icon modifiers, but I wanted to put a bit more fun in the set with some more elaborate novelty art.

-Kits-
**Renders are representative only. Kit Renders are closest to actual colors**

$135 - BASE KIT - 250 MOQ

$89 - ALT MODS - 100 MOQ

$49 - NOVELTIES - 100 MOQ

The novelties are based on significant details and moments in the Barcelona Pavilion. As numbered, the novelties are: 1. Cigar (Mies was a known chain smoker), 2. Marble Pattern, 3. Building Elevation, 4. Column detail, 5. Pavilion chair, 6. Feature wall, 7. Window joint detail, 8. Dawn by Georg Kolbe.

$29 - SPACEBARS- 100 MOQ

$49 -METAL ARTISAN- 50 MOQ

$25 -Deskmats-

Inlay. Design by Summerqm

Line. Design by Summerqm

Pavilion. Design by Ulliam

Marble.

-Renders-

Haus by Hand Engineering

More

Mountain Alice by YoBoards

More

Nascent by Reticent

More

SP111 by BlindAssassin111

More

KL90 by Kiko

More

Ellora65 by Kiko

More

Paragon by Artemis Design Studios

More

Frog by Geonworks

More

Argyle by Seoucialite

More

-Collaborations-

-Artisan Keycaps-

Sale Date: 2022.03.09

Sale Date: 2022.03.24

Sale Date: 2022.04.09

Sale Date: 2022.03.27

Sale Date: 2022.03.19

-Spacebars-

Sale Date: 2022.04.02

-Wristrest-

If you're interested in collaborating, please drop me a line on my discord! - pararch#8610

-Contact-

Instagram:

Discord Server:

Discord PM: pararch#8610

-Changelog-

More

-GB Live- 2022.03.21

-Signature-

If you wish to show your support for the set, feel free to add this signature by copying the code below and following the steps:

> Profile > Forum Profile > Signature > Paste

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116658.0][img width=240 height=90]https://i.imgur.com/2ZA2Z8d.png[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 September 2023, 21:38:23 by pararch »

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Live from March 21 - April 21!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 March 2022, 20:37:47 »
Reserved.

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | All vendors live!
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 March 2022, 19:06:56 »
A bit of delay due to technical glitches, but all vendors are live now!

Offline lazaret

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Live from March 21 - April 21!
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 13:15:19 »
What's the ETA for the deskmats?

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | New Collab Update and PSYCHOkeycaps Raffle!
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 March 2022, 22:51:22 »
What's the ETA for the deskmats?

If I were to guess probably 6-8 months based on the Dreamscape deskmats- those just came into Vala March 17th. Also considering the lockdown and everything going on in China right now its hard for me to give a good prediction unfortunately.

Also the preview for the PSYCHOkeycaps raffle and a new collab with fromscratch is up!
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2022, 22:57:14 by pararch »

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | New Collab Update and PSYCHOkeycaps Raffle!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 March 2022, 14:05:09 »
Psychokeycaps raffle is now live! Raffle link here: https://www.psychokeycaps.com/raffle-form

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | 1 Week into GB and Instagram Giveaway!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 March 2022, 23:02:36 »
1 Week update and Instagram Giveaway is live!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbstrN9MftB/

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 18:47:10 »
Just popped in to say...

...I think you've gone to heavy with green; the pavilion is primarily travertine (floor and principle external wall) and white (ceiling render) with various coloured marble, onyx and varicoloured glass to stand out against the powerful - stark yet rich - base.  Yes the green marble is the most heavily used, in order to complement the patinated bronze of Der Morgen and the other two (initially planned but eventually not included by Mies) sculptures.

Personally I'd have gone for something simpler like having all keys in WS4 with butterfly green legends excepting; F5-8 in ant red with S4 legends, F1-4 & F9-12 & the top, right and bottom of the numpad cluster in butterfly green with WS4 legends (num lock, forward slash, star, minus, plus, enter, period/del, zero/ins)...  This way you could have a novelty or custom for Der Morgen as "5" on the number pad, thereby placing her within the green marble walls...  and if people with 60% complain about not getting to use the ant red and butterfly green F row, then they can just do what I always have – omit their standard number row and use the varicoloured  F keys their instead

Also I'd have a word with MonoKei about twisting the cruciform column back onto vertical/horizontal.  There's nothing about the pavilion that is rotated 45O

Creating a set for this masterpiece is going to garner criticism no matter what you do so don't take my words too much to heart.  Too much teal for me, but I'll see how my fiancée feels - it's her favourite colour... I just won't mention the price tag :rolleyes:

Offline pararch

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 22:53:52 »
Just popped in to say...

...I think you've gone to heavy with green; the pavilion is primarily travertine (floor and principle external wall) and white (ceiling render) with various coloured marble, onyx and varicoloured glass to stand out against the powerful - stark yet rich - base.  Yes the green marble is the most heavily used, in order to complement the patinated bronze of Der Morgen and the other two (initially planned but eventually not included by Mies) sculptures.

Personally I'd have gone for something simpler like having all keys in WS4 with butterfly green legends excepting; F5-8 in ant red with S4 legends, F1-4 & F9-12 & the top, right and bottom of the numpad cluster in butterfly green with WS4 legends (num lock, forward slash, star, minus, plus, enter, period/del, zero/ins)...  This way you could have a novelty or custom for Der Morgen as "5" on the number pad, thereby placing her within the green marble walls...  and if people with 60% complain about not getting to use the ant red and butterfly green F row, then they can just do what I always have – omit their standard number row and use the varicoloured  F keys their instead

Also I'd have a word with MonoKei about twisting the cruciform column back onto vertical/horizontal.  There's nothing about the pavilion that is rotated 45O

Creating a set for this masterpiece is going to garner criticism no matter what you do so don't take my words too much to heart.  Too much teal for me, but I'll see how my fiancée feels - it's her favourite colour... I just won't mention the price tag :rolleyes:

Hey thanks for the feedback- I wish I had gotten it earlier, but here we are. I guess around the decision to do more teal- to be honest I really didn't want to make a full beige/cream set. I do get where you're coming from thematically though. I did work with Monokei during the design process and the twist was a decision we agreed on to break/differentiate from the cruciform column novelty as an intentional subversion. As the only real dissimilar element in the design once incorporated, we wanted it to be able to stand on its own not only integrated into the set but as a standalone piece.

Thanks for considering! and I'm happy your fiancée likes it! And do we ever mention the price tag of anything in this hobby to our better halves ;) 

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Week 3 Ending, Reddit Giveaway!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 09 April 2022, 16:21:20 »
Reddit Giveaway is live!

Offline MarbleKeeb

• Bring Marble to Keyboards
    • MarbleK Website
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 April 2022, 11:34:48 »
Hello,

We are glad to announce our collaboration with GMK Marmoreal.
We will make a marble wrist rest to match this beautiful keycaps set. :thumb:

For a GB themed with marble, we could not miss the opportunity for such a good match.

We went for a nice Cream color, close to the GMK WS4 color of this set.
This is our first offering for this kind of color and hope to see a lot of interest :)

As well, 4USD per sold wrist rest will be donated to a charity to help Ukrainian refugees.
They definitively need help, so even if you are not interested in this wrist rest, you can directly donate to them.

A few renders and a photo of the marble stone sample:

Thank you !

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 00:03:35 »

Edit: revised scale
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2022, 20:38:54 by dvorcol »

Offline pararch

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 00:09:22 »
Thanks Dvorcol!

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal |6 days left in Groupbuy!
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 15:15:35 »
We are in the final week, with 6 days left for groupbuy so don't miss out if you're still considering! I'm still waiting on updated numbers, so I'm hopeful a new graph can be posted soon!

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal |2 days left in Groupbuy!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 20:39:08 »
2 Days left for groupbuy! We are in last calls now, so if you're still considering, now is the time to join!

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | LAST DAY!!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 00:49:34 »
Last day of GB today, so time to join if you don't want to miss out!

Offline aerospice

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | LAST DAY!!
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 12:47:02 »
High hopes this set hits MOQ. I honestly feel it's going to be a sleeper classic once people see how the colors and novelties look in-person!

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Groupbuy Closed!
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 20:17:17 »
Not a lot of news to report, as we are still getting final numbers from vendors for extras. Most final numbers are in, but still I'm waiting on a few to submit. At this point, the Base and novelties kits will be made. Still waiting on confirmation for the Alt Mods and Spacebars; but I am cautiously optimistic that those can get made.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Groupbuy Closed!
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 20:37:45 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Groupbuy Closed, All Kits Will Be Made!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 20:53:11 »
Thanks Dvorcol!

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Order Submitted!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 27 June 2022, 13:06:04 »
Order submitted to GMK, waiting on their confirmation as they're on holiday right now.

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | Samples arrived!
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 01:07:58 »
Updates: Banderole artwork has been sent to GMK, and samples have arrived. Photos were shot with my DSLR and colorgraded to a Datacolor Color Card. For the GB renders, I had done my colour matching with a 5000k light and a calibrated monitor, so the first setup was getting as close as I can to that. Compared to the kit renders, the green is more vivid, but is the correct shade. In my opinion, it falls within acceptable parameters when compared to the board renders and more real life lighting conditions. Generally speaking, GMK is extremely close in colour matching to the swatches. I'm deciding whether to have additional testing done, but I'm only concerned about the green. GMK has nailed the brown as far as I can tell, but if I have additional testing, both colours will be sent regardless- I have reached out to Nebulant to do testing as necessary. If there is testing, there will not be any change of the RAL swatches that were originally used, only to adjust to get closer to them. However, I have a suspicion that the difference is around a 1-Delta, which frankly is as close as is reasonably possible to colour match something.

Otherwise, any thoughts or comment is appreciated!

Photos:

5000k Light

Direct Sunlight

Indirect Sunlight

Banderole:

« Last Edit: Thu, 20 October 2022, 01:31:10 by pararch »

Offline Sieglinde

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 October 2022, 09:39:56 »
Love the colors, thank you for the update.

Offline pararch

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 20:56:07 »
November Update:

So, caps were sent to Nebulant for testing, with the following data:

Alphas:

Accents:

When looking at the data, the number that is most relevant is the DeltaE(2000), as that shows the overall colour match, including lightness. Based on the results, GMK is generally very close. A deviation of <2 DeltaE(2000) is indistinguishable to the human eye, while a deviation of 2-10 is considered perceivable under close observation.
If you're looking for a more detailed explanation, it can be found here: https://zschuessler.github.io/DeltaE/learn/

Based on evaluation and the data I've approved the Alphas, but have asked for an R2 for the accents. However, considering how close GMK is on the Accents, there may be some pushback from them, but I believe that its worth the second round. Looking at them next to a colour swatch though, its slightly darker and less saturated, but still within what I'd consider a pretty good tolerance. When put next to the Alphas, the difference is almost indistinguishable, so differences are minimal at best.

I also confirmed with Vala, and deskmat samples are supposed to be coming to them, so hopefully those can be approved soon.  :cool:

Offline pararch

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 18 November 2022, 21:05:24 »
Love the colors, thank you for the update.

You're very welcome!

Offline pararch

March Update:

Deskmat samples!

Deskmat samples arrived a while ago, and generally, the printing and overall quality are very good, with the one exception being the marble texture mat, as its somewhat blurry at close range- I'm working with Vala on sorting that out with a higher resolution file. The stitching on the inlay mat will be changed to something a bit more muted, as the sample's gold is quite bright right now, and doesn't look like the artwork brass accents. The line stitching will also be changed to something darker to more closely align with the printing

With GMK, I have received production renders, which have been reviewed and sent back for edits, as GMK had doubled the tilde key on the basekit (2 mod colored ones, missing the alpha color). Production renders for the other kits have been reviewed and approved.

I am still waiting for the R2 accent brown samples to be produced and sent to me. Considering that all the other pieces for GMK are now complete (packaging etc.), I'm hopeful that I'll be able to approve the R2 brown and get the set into the production queue. I'm not going to comment on the fulfillment dates, since as we all know, those are entirely at the mercy of GMK. I'm reviewing submissions pretty much as soon as I get them, so I'm waiting along with you guys for them to move things along.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 March 2023, 20:31:45 by pararch »

Offline pararch

April Update:

Accent R2 Examples (R2 Sample has the 'B')
Photos taken with my D7000 and color graded to the card.

5000k Light

Side by Side 5000k Light

Direct Sunlight

Indirect Sunlight

Updated Boxart

R2 accent samples have arrived this week, and they look pretty good! To my eyes, they are slightly lighter and more saturated- and a closer match to the colour book that I have. Most likely I'll be approving them. Otherwise, production renders from GMK have been received and approved, and minor changes to the box art have been done to make sure everything is oriented correctly. GMK did not allow for modification of their logo, so I've opted to remove it entirely from the box. I'm still waiting on samples of deskmat revisions, so those will be posted when received, but otherwise, the set should be ready to be released into the production queue!
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 April 2023, 23:28:09 by pararch »

Offline dvllpxe

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | R2 Accents Received
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 April 2023, 18:15:24 »
thanks for the informative updates!

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | R2 Accents Received
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 29 April 2023, 14:40:12 »
thanks for the informative updates!

You're welcome!

Also small update, all samples have been approved now, and invoices from Monokei for the artisan have been issued to vendors for payment in order to begin production. I'm waiting on an update from GMK on their production queue and our position there.

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | In Production Queue
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 May 2023, 22:55:07 »
We are queued for production in June/July! Still waiting on the r2 deskmat samples for final approval.

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | In Production
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 04 July 2023, 21:15:11 »
June/July update: Set is currently in production by GMK. Projected to ship to vendors in September. Monkei artisans currently in production, with all vendor invoices paid. Anticipated completion in 2-3 months as of 2023.06.15. New deskmat samples have been received and approved. Deskmats should be in production as well.

Offline pararch

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | In Production
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 14 September 2023, 21:37:49 »
General update for September- Marmoreal is shipping out to vendors/shipping out to customers now! Its been a long road, and I'd like to thank everyone for their patience. The Monokei metal artisan is also complete, and deskmats are in production.

Offline Ranker2

Re: [GB] GMK Marmoreal | GB Closed | Shipping!
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 29 December 2023, 00:42:15 »
When will MyKB customers receive their sets

Offline bigmaxnonions

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 January 2024, 08:15:49 »
Really want to pick up 2 or 3 of the deskmats, hopefully Vala has them soon.
Skog Reboot, INK Blacks, GMK Stealth | Neito, POMs, ePBT Ramenstop | KARA, Gat Yellows, KAT Cyberspace | AVA, Black Pandas, GMK Arch | QK65, Ergo Clears, GMK Laser | W1-AT, LE Creams, ePBT WoB | Odin R2, Meteor Whites, GMK Hooty | QK60, Boba U4Ts, PBT Notion | Liberi, New Nixies, GMK Grand Prix | Cypher R4, Root Beer Floats, (Undecided, currently PBT Stone) | Cycle7, POMs, GMK Striker

Sent from my SM Smart Fridge via TapTalk

Offline pararch

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 12 January 2024, 18:39:43 »
When will MyKB customers receive their sets

Unsure. I have as much information as everyone else at this point. As far as I know sets are still being held by GMK at their factory and they are working on getting them released. Sorry for not having more info, but this should be asked on their community discord.

Really want to pick up 2 or 3 of the deskmats, hopefully Vala has them soon.

Vala is in fulfilment hell right now, but I'm hoping that they start shipping soon. I know Vala does have the sets at the warehouse, so they'll be getting out to everyone when they get to them in the queue.

Offline Sirenforcer

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 16 January 2024, 01:48:58 »
Beautiful minimalism!
The color combination is great  :thumb:

Offline Sieglinde

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 12 March 2024, 16:45:56 »
Vala Supply has started shipping these out :thumb: