Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 399292 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1450 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 19:32:12 »
Show Image

today's poison.

it's okay.

That was one of the first beers to get me hooked on Belgians.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1451 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 19:40:19 »
yeah it's cool.

need more similar stuff
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1452 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:01:10 »
You ever have one of those beers where you go "why the hell did it take me so long to try this?," well Bell's Hopslam is that beer for me. 

Show Image

Appearance:  tight, lacy head with good retention.  If you're not careful on your pour it will easily get away from you.  Good alcohol lacing.  Hazy golden color that doesn't appear clouded, but still hazy enough that you can't read a sheet of paper through the glass.

Aroma: huge hop bomb.  I was hit with the scent as I poured it.  I smelled grapefruit flesh and zest, slight tropical fruit (mango/papaya) and/or peach, and a sweet/sugary scent reminiscent of wild honey from areas without a ton of flowering fruits.  In other words, sweet, but earthy and not too floral or fruity.  This is always my weakest game area since I feel like I'm always slightly congested.

Taste:  The head is incredibly bitter, like taking a bite of grapefruit zest.  At first cold pour, it starts with a resinous pine hops flavor accompanied by malt (barley?) and honey sweetness and transitions to a bitter grapefruit zest finish.  The hops completely cover the booziness. As it warms, the alcohol becomes more apparent and the beer sweetens with honey and malt sweetness becoming more prominent and accompanied by grapefruit flesh and peach.

Rating: 9/10

I'd still take Drake's Hopocalypse most days of the week over Hopslam because I like the earthier notes with less sweetness, but Bell's Hopslam is a damn good IPA.  I think it would benefit from a little less honey or malt sweetness and drop to an 8.5-9% ABV instead of 10%, but overall a killer IPA that I would recommend in a heartbeat.

Next up are some Prairie beers from Bromono, an Eisbock from Mammoth Brewing (one of my favorite styles, but so few people do it), a Prairie I picked up on my own, and another local beer.

Aww man you got access to hop slam? It's on my list to try

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1453 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:02:36 »
Show Image

today's poison.

it's okay.

Also you don't drink straight from the bottle do you? -.-*

You get so much more flavor from a glass

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1454 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:03:35 »
Show Image

today's poison.

it's okay.

Also you don't drink straight from the bottle do you? -.-*

You get so much more flavor from a glass

nah, glass.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #1455 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:10:03 »
Dieu du Ciel <3

Pesche Mortel speak through me!

That stuff has to travel all the way to the west coast to hit you though. Meh.

Now Drinking - Bellwoods Brewery - Justu
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1456 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 22:05:56 »
Beer number 2, Valiant Brewing Alpha Overdrive Quad IPA, 14.3% ABV, 100 IBUs.

Appearance: Short tight lacy head that develop well after you pour instead of as you pour.  Good head retention with significant alcohol lacing.  Dark amber color.

Aroma: Caramel and sweet malts, hint of herbal and floral hops with pine resin.  You can smell the alcohol in this one.

Taste: Overpowering caramel malt sweetness fading into raisin.  Malt sweetness is reminiscent of molasses.  Slight bitter pine resin finish accompanied by jaggery (raw cane/palm sugar) sweetness.  You can feel the booze in the finish, but it feels less potent than it is and remains a drinkable beer.

Score: 5/10

This beer is a huge disappointment to me.  It sounds fantastic by the description and Valiant has some amazing IPAs, but this just falls flat.  It's not bad for the style, but it's also not amazing.  In the end, it has far too much malt backbone and ends up being a sugary mess, albeit a mostly balanced mess.  If you want a beer that gets you drunk quick, it's the beer to go for, but it's hard to recommend it as a beer lover's beer.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 16:06:28 by nubbinator »

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1457 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:18:59 »

Show Image

Appearance: Short tight lacy head that develop well after you pour instead of as you pour.  Good head retention with significant alcohol lacing.  Dark amber color.

Aroma: Caramel and sweet malts, hint of herbal and floral malts with pine resin.  You can smell the alcohol in this one.

Taste: Overpowering caramel malt sweetness fading into raisin.  Malt sweetness is reminiscent of molasses.  Slight bitter pine resin finish accompanied by jaggery (raw cane/palm sugar) sweetness.  You can feel the booze in the finish, but it feels less potent than it is and remains a drinkable beer.

This beer is a huge disappointment to me.  It sounds fantastic by the description and Valiant has some amazing IPAs, but this just falls flat.  It's not bad for the style, but it's also not amazing.  In the end, it has far too much malt backbone and ends up being a sugary mess, albeit a balanced mess.  If you want a beer that gets you drunk quick, it's the beer to go for, but it's hard to recommend it as a beer lover's beer.

Weird looking IPA, Maybe a rye?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1458 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:30:33 »
More

Show Image

Aroma: Caramel and sweet malts, hint of herbal and floral malts with pine resin.  You can smell the alcohol in this one.

This beer is a huge disappointment to me.  It sounds fantastic by the description and Valiant has some amazing IPAs, but this just falls flat.  It's not bad for the style, but it's also not amazing.  In the end, it has far too much malt backbone and ends up being a sugary mess, albeit a balanced mess.  If you want a beer that gets you drunk quick, it's the beer to go for, but it's hard to recommend it as a beer lover's beer.
Weird looking IPA, Maybe a rye?

Nah, just a Quadruple IPA.

Offline tstackhouse

• Bloghouse
« Reply #1459 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 15:51:26 »
Did someone say beer??

Here's part of the haul from a recent roadtrip! :D

Show Image

Did you grab any Prairie Apple Brandy Noir at all o.o

Btw there is a dude with a huge bat behind you.

Hope you are not dead
I don't think the shop had any...  That's me in the mirror holding a light like a nerd for the shot XD

Offline tstackhouse

• Bloghouse
« Reply #1460 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 16:03:41 »
Pocket post, please ignore...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1461 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:11:34 »
Another beer review.  I picked this one up while grabbing another beer for Bromono.  This is one of those beers I've heard talked about a lot, so I figured I should try it and see what I think.

21st Amendment Brewery Hell or High Watermelon

Aroma:  Briney or bitter melon scent.

Appearance: Large foamy head that develops as you pour.  Poor head retention.  Straw yellow.

Taste:  Slightly sweet and bitter watermelon and wheat at first sip.  Watermelon has an artificial flavor taste to it.  Unbalanced separate finish of sweet melon with wheat and bitter mineral or copper taste.

Score: 3/10

Honestly, if I was at a bar and my two options were this or Coors, I'd take Coors all night long over it.  I know some people think this is a great beer, but it is just awful and unbalanced to me.  Maybe I got a bad can because mine was far from nice and refreshing like I've heard so many describe it.  And it's not like I don't like wheat beers or watermelon in beers.  I love good wheat beers and Anderson Valley's Briney Melon Gose is an interesting beer I would gladly drink again.  I don't know what it is with this beer, but it has a funk to it that doesn't work and it just falls flat for me.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:26:33 by nubbinator »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1462 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:20:53 »
Another beer review.  I picked this one up while grabbing another beer for Bromono.  This is one of those beers I've heard talked about a lot, so I figured I should try it and see what I think.

Show Image

Appearance: Large foamy head that develops as you pour.  Poor head retention.  Straw yellow.

Taste:  Slightly sweet and bitter watermelon and wheat at first sip.  Unbalanced separate finish of sweet melon with wheat and bitter mineral or copper taste.

Honestly, if I was at a bar and my two options were this or Coors, I'd take Coors all night long over it.  I know some people think this is a great beer, but it is just awful and unbalanced to me.  Maybe I got a bad can because mine was far from nice and refreshing like I've heard so many describe it.  And it's not like I don't like wheat beers or watermelon in beers.  I love good wheat beers and Anderson Valley's Briney Melon Gose is an interesting beer I would gladly drink again.  I don't know what it is with this beer, but it has a funk to it that doesn't work and it just falls flat for me.

It's a daytime brew you beer-nub :D, not everything has to be a west coast triple IPA bomb! It has it's place.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1463 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:23:27 »
I was treating it as a daytime brew.  Like I said, maybe I got a bad bottle, but it's a mess with a horrible finish.  A wheat beer should not have a bitter mineral finish and it should be light and refreshing.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1464 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:24:47 »
I was treating it as a daytime brew.  Like I said, maybe I got a bad bottle, but it's a mess with a horrible finish.  A wheat beer should not have a bitter mineral finish and it should be light and refreshing.

maybe you got poop breath too :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1465 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:25:53 »
Nope.  I mean, if you love sour skittles and want a beer similar to that but with less sour and more bitter, then it's a great beer for you.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1466 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:28:06 »
Nope.  I mean, if you love sour skittles and want a beer similar to that but with less sour and more bitter, then it's a great beer for you.

I'm just giving you a bad time nubbies. In my opinion, it's a 6/10 for daytime-class brew. I think a 3/10 is pretty low.

Do you like wheat beers in general?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1467 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:31:16 »

I'm just giving you a bad time nubbies. In my opinion, it's a 6/10 for daytime-class brew. I think a 3/10 is pretty low.

Yeah, I like them quite a bit when they're done well.  Like I said, I could have gotten a bad can, but this was terrible.  Bitter and sweet with a strong mineral taste.  Maybe they didn't clean their equipment properly or something, but it really was a pretty awful brew.  A 3/10 may be a little low, but I really couldn't justify higher than a 4/10 based on taste.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1468 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:31:53 »

Yeah, I like them quite a bit when they're done well.  Like I said, I could have gotten a bad can, but this was terrible.  Bitter and sweet with a strong mineral taste.  Maybe they didn't clean their equipment properly or something, but it really was a pretty awful brew.  A 3/10 may be a little low, but I really couldn't justify higher than a 4/10 based on taste.

Yea, you must have got an old can for sure. What are your top 3 wheat beers?

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1469 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:37:38 »
If you guys like wheat beers you need to try live oak Hefeweizen.

It's rated number 2 of all hefes on beer advocate.

Very common here in Austin

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1470 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:46:24 »
Crap, it's been a while since I've gone out and searched for one (especially since they're less common in California), but there was a bar in Seattle called Die Bierstube that had some fantastic German witbiers.

I'm trying to remember ones I've liked.  Franziskaner Weissbier Hefeweizen, Ayinger Hefeweizen, Allagash White, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin.  I know there are others, but I'm blanking since I usually go for Belgians, Porters, Stouts, Sours, Goses, IPAs, and Barleywines.

My stomach isn't a fan of the beer right now either.  I wonder if there were traces of a cleaning agent left or something and that's the bitter taste.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:49:26 by nubbinator »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1471 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:48:44 »
Best wheat beer (that I've tried) is Trout Slayer from Big Sky....I put Wheat Ale in a separate category from Hef's. I'll keep an eye for that next time at the L-I-Q. :D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1472 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:49:44 »
Crap, it's been a while since I've gone out and searched for one (especially since they're less common in California), but there was a bar in Seattle called Die Bierstube that had some fantastic German witbiers.

I'm trying to remember ones I've liked.  Franziskaner Weissbier Hefeweizen, Ayinger Hefeweizen, Allagash White, Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin.  I know there are others, but I'm blanking since I usually go for Belgians, Porters, Stouts, Sours, Goses, IPAs, and Barleywines.

Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Sumpin! There you go, that's a great brew.

I'm not much for sours (they give me heart burn) haha.

BTW - Nubbies, have you tried Green Flash double IPA (purple label)? That's reaaaal good.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1473 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:56:15 »
I honestly can't remember.  I generally try to pick up all new beers each week, so I forget unless it was a standout to me.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1474 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 19:56:59 »
I honestly can't remember.  I generally try to pick up all new beers each week, so I forget unless it was a standout to me.

Brewed right down the road from ya in SD, try it...you're welcome :)

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1475 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 21:54:36 »

Show Image

Taste:  Slightly sweet and bitter watermelon and wheat at first sip.  Watermelon has an artificial flavor taste to it.  Unbalanced separate finish of sweet melon with wheat and bitter mineral or copper taste.

Had this last Summer, biggest regret..

Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1476 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 00:09:31 »

all three compliment each other

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #1477 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 15:07:33 »
Show Image

hmmm ice ream and beer... noice

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1478 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 15:24:05 »
Show Image

How are they working today?
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1479 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 15:29:45 »
Show Image

How are they working today?

Stomach hates me. Still watching scrubs!

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1480 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 02:50:38 »

Probably in my top five, but that's not saying much haha

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #1481 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 03:02:33 »
Show Image

Can't be better than not your father's root beer ?

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #1482 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 03:13:23 »
Show Image

Can't be better than not your father's root beer ?
A lot better imho, this tastes like a thick ale with a sweet toffee aftertaste

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #1483 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 14:26:15 »
 I don't have a bottle handy but one of my personal favorites is Gulden Draak (Dark Triple).  Totally adore the stuff and goes down quite easily given the rather high ABV.  It is however quite hard to find in MA and fairly expensive when you can.
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #1484 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 14:37:37 »

Snagged this the other day. Gotta say, I'm a huge fan. Silky smooth, and their Coffee Stout is actually pretty damn good.

They had an IPA version as well, not sure which it was tho.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1485 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 14:42:18 »
Show Image

Snagged this the other day. Gotta say, I'm a huge fan. Silky smooth, and their Coffee Stout is actually pretty damn good.

mmm "dark & inviting"..

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1486 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:01:09 »
Show Image

I dislike Nitro IPAs.

I enjoy carbonation to my beers. I had the Guinness Nitro IPA. I finished a can and the rest sat in my fridge forever. It tasted flat and lifeless.

But I guess that is the point, "Creamy and smooth"

Ill take "Hoppy and Bitter" IPA over a "Creamy Smooth" IPA any day.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1487 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 15:08:50 »
I'm in the same boat.  The mouth feel is interesting, but  not my preferred.  If I want smooth and creamy I'll have ice cream. Additionally, you have to make a beer with over the top flavors to survive the nitro.  Most nitros I've had ended up tasting rather bland because they weren't an assertive beer to begin with.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1488 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:42:12 »
I have a few bottles of beer sitting on my desk at work; I couldn't fit them in the box for a recent trade.

If anyone wants them, cover shipping and they are yours.

1x Yards Brawler
2x Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA
1x Troegs Perpetual IPA
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1489 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:48:05 »
I have a few bottles of beer sitting on my desk at work; I couldn't fit them in the box for a recent trade.

1x Yards Brawler
1x Troegs Perpetual IPA

I know Nubs trades a lot.

I can also send some Austin beer your way if you wanted to trade.

I am hitting up Jester king this weekend.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1490 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:55:01 »
Ah, I'd do anything for a drink. I'd give my goddamn soul for just a glass of beer.

Hi, Lloyd .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1491 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 10:56:10 »

1x Yards Brawler
1x Troegs Perpetual IPA

I know Nubs trades a lot.

I can also send some Austin beer your way if you wanted to trade.

I am hitting up Jester king this weekend.

Word up! I would be down to trade for some Austin brews. I recently traded with nubs, and I used seekabrew.com to make sure I was sending him stuff he can't find locally. The beers on my desk are leftovers from that trade. :p

Shoot me a PM if you want to organize a trade!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Volucris

• beep boop
« Reply #1492 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 12:27:47 »
Show Image

today's poison.

it's okay.

Okay? It's just about the best and most available Tripel out there. Although perhaps you were relating to your style preference. To each their own I suppose...
KUL ES-87 - MX Browns

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1493 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:14:13 »
Show Image

today's poison.

it's okay.

Okay? It's just about the best and most available Tripel out there. Although perhaps you were relating to your style preference. To each their own I suppose...

I was mostly mocking nub's book report style post on what he was drinking. I actually really like it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1494 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 13:32:15 »
Show Image

today's poison.

it's okay.

Dear Diary:

I like beer

I was mostly mocking nub's book report style post on what he was drinking. I actually really like it.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1495 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 11:40:51 »

Yeah, I don't think that stuff is all that great. Available? Sure... Unibroue just doesn't do it for me anymore, good entry level Belgian style ales though.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #1496 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:36:54 »
For anyone who has a trader joes nearby, they should get the providential/dark ale from there. Its produced by Unibrue, and its absolutely the best deal you can get for good beer.- something like 6 bucks for a 750mL bottle.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1497 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:45:27 »
Been so lazy about posting pictures or even taking them to begin with but here's a few from the last month or so. Some real gems in there.

More

This one's for nubs:

« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2016, 13:51:56 by jwaz »

Offline drewba

« Reply #1498 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 15:43:15 »
Been so lazy about posting pictures or even taking them to begin with but here's a few from the last month or so. Some real gems in there.

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This one's for nubs:
Show Image

Where are you getting your loons?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1499 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 15:45:36 »

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This one's for nubs:
Show Image

And how was that Sierra Nevada AHS??