Author Topic: [GB] Out of the Vault - Series III: By Fans, For Fans (Cancelled)  (Read 77246 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [GB] Out of the Vault - Series III: Lucky 38 and Vault 111 (New Prices!)
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 22:11:18 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 September 2015, 23:23:05 by 00zeRO »
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 22:17:09 »
Updated numbers in OP. I have not gone through to omit changes so the numbers may be a little off, but we can see where we are.

In response for liability contracts, I won't sign one. I would rather just walk away and not ever get sued, than to stick my neck out for something that is not really worth it anyway.

---

Contingency plan: should I decide move forward with Vaults and Lucky 38. Does anyone have a problem with Lucky 38 subbing for all Nuka Cola legends? Nuka Cola Six pack would be delorted for obvious reasons.

Offline apolotary

• Кто-нибудь купите мои клавиатуры ;__;
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 13 September 2015, 23:41:55 »
Updated numbers in OP. I have not gone through to omit changes so the numbers may be a little off, but we can see where we are.

In response for liability contracts, I won't sign one. I would rather just walk away and not ever get sued, than to stick my neck out for something that is not really worth it anyway.

---

Contingency plan: should I decide move forward with Vaults and Lucky 38. Does anyone have a problem with Lucky 38 subbing for all Nuka Cola legends? Nuka Cola Six pack would be delorted for obvious reasons.

I'm definitely in. Wish there was a cap with a BOS logo rendering, but no biggie :)

Offline ika

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:02:23 »
Personally I would rather have a bigger collection of the various vault icons (esp 101) rather than Lucky 38, but either one would be fine as a sub.

I just had a crazy idea - what if you had "Nuka" on one keycap, and "Cola" on the other? It could be a two-part combination logo, except it wouldn't have to be presented that way.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 00:13:27 by ika »

Offline harlw

« Reply #204 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:27:40 »

---

What if i designed a new legend or two? Three off the top of my head that I can create in double-shotable vector format could be the Propaganda Boy's (?) head and thumbs up on separate caps and/or a plain soda bottle silhouette. http://www.joysticksports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pipboy.jpg

edit: I could probably also iconify the pip boy itself
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:30:18 by harlw »
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline apolotary

« Reply #205 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 01:41:06 »

---

What if i designed a new legend or two? Three off the top of my head that I can create in double-shotable vector format could be the Propaganda Boy's (?) head and thumbs up on separate caps and/or a plain soda bottle silhouette. http://www.joysticksports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pipboy.jpg

Pretty sure Vault Boy is trademarked (but everybody use him in ads anyway)

No problem with similarly drawn generic characters though

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #206 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 03:19:28 »
...Devlin...

...Devlin...

Edit: it's Delrin, maker of POM keycaps...

Actually, it's "Devlin", a UK-based keycap manufacturer: http://www.devlin.co.uk/products/components/keycaps.html

"Delrin" is a DuPont branded version of POM.

About the legends, I joined this GB primarily for Nuka Cola, secondarily for Vaults and don't care about Lucky38. Without the Nuka Cola there isn't much left for me.

The only other option I can see in terms of legends that won't require a letter from Bethesda / ZeniMax is a generic soft drink bottle. But that's pretty lame compared to the Nuka Cola legend and doesn't tie in very tightly to the theme. But at this point anything that links well to the franchise will most likely require the same letter.

So, IMHO, this can probably be reduced to 3 kits:

1. All Row 3 Vault colours (10 caps)
2. All Row 3 & Row 1 Lucky 38s (7 caps)
3. All Row 1 Vaults (7 caps)

If you make any changes to the kits (ie, letter of consent from Bethesda is not forthcoming), please cancel the existing orders and create a new order form. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to change what I've ordered according to what's in the final kits.

IMHO, it's really the American attitude of nobody taking responsibility which has led to this. If the courts acted with a little common sense instead (and took a little more responsibility for their decisions instead of simply following the laws to the letter and updating them for each and every little nuance) you wouldn't need warning labels a mile long on every product and letters of consent just to protect yourself from litigation for a hobby project. In that sense, Europe is light years ahead of US.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 08:17:44 »

---

Sounds good. Just email me. Thank you

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #208 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 09:03:14 »

---

I did some super crappy thumb mock ups, I think they would be awesome if someone did them right  :thumb: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72558.msg1790413#msg1790413

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 09:15:34 »

---

I did some super crappy thumb mock ups, I think they would be awesome if someone did them right  :thumb: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72558.msg1790413#msg1790413

I don't know...SP might get sued...jk

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [GB] Out of the Vault - Series III: Lucky 38 and Vault 111 (On Hold)
« Reply #210 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 09:23:08 »
OP updated. Removed Order Form link (temporarily I hope) and pressed the giant Pause button on this particular Group Buy.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 10:25:36 »
Just had an idea. What if we Parodied the Nuka Cola brand and created a cursive swooping legend with the words 'Rad Soda'

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #212 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 10:41:12 »
...Devlin...

...Devlin...

Actually, it's "Devlin", a UK-based keycap manufacturer: http://www.devlin.co.uk/products/components/keycaps.html

About the legends, I joined this GB primarily for Nuka Cola, secondarily for Vaults and don't care about Lucky38. Without the Nuka Cola there isn't much left for me.

The only other option I can see in terms of legends that won't require a letter from Bethesda / ZeniMax is a generic soft drink bottle. But that's pretty lame compared to the Nuka Cola legend and doesn't tie in very tightly to the theme. But at this point anything that links well to the franchise will most likely require the same letter.

If you make any changes to the kits (ie, letter of consent from Bethesda is not forthcoming), please cancel the existing orders and create a new order form. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to change what I've ordered according to what's in the final kits.

IMHO, it's really the American attitude of nobody taking responsibility which has led to this. If the courts acted with a little common sense instead (and took a little more responsibility for their decisions instead of simply following the laws to the letter and updating them for each and every little nuance) you wouldn't need warning labels a mile long on every product and letters of consent just to protect yourself from litigation for a hobby project. In that sense, Europe is light years ahead of US.

Thank you for clearing the D company names up as I am obviously lacking facts.

As for everything else. I don't doubt the legal aspect of the differences between our respective countries. What would you think of a parody legend that winks at the Nuka Cola trademark but may be considered fair use?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 10:44:59 »
Personally I would rather have a bigger collection of the various vault icons (esp 101) rather than Lucky 38, but either one would be fine as a sub.

Well, I have always wanted a Vault 87 key made. Vault 21 would be a good companion or substitute for the Lucky 38.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #214 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 10:45:23 »
Just had an idea. What if we Parodied the Nuka Cola brand and created a cursive swooping legend with the words 'Rad Soda'

I like it, but I'm not sure what kind of buy in that it would get.

How about some of the ofther fallout icons that are probably not copyrighted?

The scientific icon for a fallout shelter (it's used in the official Fallout Shelter game, and it can't be copyrighted)

Nulclear symbol

Some of the words from the nuka cola series? Like just a styled "Quantum" on it's own. They can't have copyright on just the one word (maybe they have the font/logo?)

Fallout "O" with the nightlight bolt? (this one is questionable)

Brotherhood of steel? (it's pretty generic to have a copyright?)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 11:54:11 »

The scientific icon for a fallout shelter (it's used in the official Fallout Shelter game, and it can't be copyrighted)
Show Image

Nulclear symbol
Show Image

Some of the words from the nuka cola series? Like just a styled "Quantum" on it's own. They can't have copyright on just the one word (maybe they have the font/logo?)
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nuclear symbol

^ this one already exists and I would need to gain permission from the owner to do it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.0

I do like the Fallout Shelter one though. Brotherhood of Steel version you show looks like it could be done, where did that image appear in the games? Fallout Tactics?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 12:22:34 »
I like the nuclear symbol, and samewisekoi is a nice guy and very likely to give you permission to use the logo. The fallout shelter symbol is not as immediately recognisable.

I guess this makes the original Nuka Cola caps a whole lot more collectible and valuable :D Pity I missed series 2 due to lack of funds at the time :(

Maybe Rad away? Pip-boy is trademarked   :-[  and RAD-X is apparently trademarked by a completely different company  :-\
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline apolotary

« Reply #217 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 12:33:57 »
I like the nuclear symbol, and samewisekoi is a nice guy and very likely to give you permission to use the logo. The fallout shelter symbol is not as immediately recognisable.

I guess this makes the original Nuka Cola caps a whole lot more collectible and valuable :D Pity I missed series 2 due to lack of funds at the time :(

Maybe Rad away? Pip-boy is trademarked   :-[  and RAD-X is apparently trademarked by a completely different company  :-\

The phrase "War never changes" is not copyrighted yet I think

Offline harlw

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 12:54:44 »
...Devlin...

...Devlin...

I'd be very interested to see what Devlin has to say about this set :D

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 13:10:40 »

Show Image

Nulclear symbol
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nuclear symbol
Show Image

^ this one already exists and I would need to gain permission from the owner to do it: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61198.0

I do like the Fallout Shelter one though. Brotherhood of Steel version you show looks like it could be done, where did that image appear in the games? Fallout Tactics?

I got the brotherhood of steel one wrong. The full logo is too complicated for a double shot and I thought what I picked was an alternate one. It isn't. It's apparently for the Paladin rank: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Brotherhood_of_Steel_ranks

Hmm, I agree maybe the fallout shelter icon isn't that recognizable to fallout fans, but it is legit. I think that would be better than a parody.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 14 September 2015, 14:03:14 »
...Devlin...

...Devlin...

If I were to go with a company like Devlin, what profile would be the best in terms of popularity and/or functionality with current profiles.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 02:26:35 »
...Devlin...

...Devlin...

If I were to go with a company like Devlin, what profile would be the best in terms of popularity and/or functionality with current profiles.

Their "K" profile is very similar SA profile Row 3, but it's "matte" finish.

Their "J" profile looks to be like Cherry profile and DCS, but I'm not sure the exact heights and angles of caps, so they may not quite match.

Their "Q" profile is somewhat like DSA, but it has a larger top and is thicker.

All the caps I've seen from them so far have a had a matte finish which is somewhere between SP's matte and semi-matte. It's closer to SP's matte, but with smaller surface features, more sandpaperish than bumpy.

So, for a novelty cap that fits with SA profile, but has a bit more "grit" to it, "K" profile is nice. On the other hand I don't yet know all their capabilities and whether they can use polycarbonate. Their colours are also very limited, a LOT less than what SP offers. This pic is from the old QWERKeys site:

111013-0

Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #222 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 10:32:51 »

Their "J" profile looks to be like Cherry profile and DCS, but I'm not sure the exact heights and angles of caps, so they may not quite match.

All the caps I've seen from them so far have a had a matte finish which is somewhere between SP's matte and semi-matte. It's closer to SP's matte, but with smaller surface features, more sandpaperish than bumpy.

So, for a novelty cap that fits with SA profile, but has a bit more "grit" to it, "K" profile is nice. On the other hand I don't yet know all their capabilities and whether they can use polycarbonate. Their colours are also very limited, a LOT less than what SP offers. This pic is from the old QWERKeys site:

(Attachment Link)

If only I could find a company that can do PBT SA-style Dye-Sublimation keys...

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:10:42 »

(Attachment Link)

If only I could find a company that can do PBT SA-style Dye-Sublimation keys...

I didn't think PBT could be used for SA profiles due to the thickness of the material, then again I don't know that much about plastics :)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #224 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:12:18 »
I didn't think PBT could be used for SA profiles due to the thickness of the material, then again I don't know that much about plastics :)

Nor do I, just dreaming away...

Offline harlw

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:13:08 »
...Devlin...

...Devlin...

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

I was thinking we talk them into doing their own version of profiled SA - they claim to do custom cap shapes and if we could convince them of the potential market we could potentially have ourselves a genuine competitor, which is what I think this market needs right now.

Offline 9jack9

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:15:08 »

Nor do I, just dreaming away...

I'm a mechE, I've done some plastic design, and I assume that for PBT, for that thickness, you need to up the pressure that you're using to inject the plastic so much so that few machines are capable of doing so (that, or it becomes cost prohibitive).  There is a plastic injection company right next to where I work, and I've done some work w/ them in the past, however I doubt they would have much interest in doing keycaps of the volumes we're talking about.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 15 September 2015, 11:50:00 »
SP have made some SA PBT caps, but they're thinner than the ABS equivalent. You can buy some overstock ones from PMK. AFAIK they only have 1x and 1.5x and when I enquired about doing more they flat out said they would not make them again in bulk. Perhaps they'd be willing to do a few single caps for a GB like this, though. They don't have the holders for SA caps for dyesubbing, though.

But... perhaps they could be persuaded to make the caps themselves and someone like Feng could be persuaded to dyesub them... Then you could have any legends within whatever Feng is willing to do.

That'd be a nice "first". Dyesub SA profile caps :)

As I said before, I really don't know all of Devlin's capabilities and what they'd be willing to invest in / try.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline tangkims

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 17:46:17 »
Why is the order on hold? =(

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 17:56:31 »
Why is the order on hold? =(

SP, the manufacturer,  requires permission from Bethesda to make more Nuka Cola keycaps...

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com

Offline Data

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 18:54:11 »
This could be cool with the nuclear symbol as the "O" in Soda.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:36:18 »
This could be cool with the nuclear symbol as the "O" in Soda.

Could be sweet...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 07:37:15 »
Updated OP.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 13:29:41 »
Update: we are drafting a letter to Bethesda, now that we have their ear...

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 13:50:28 »
Quick tip: Tell them each buyer will give $5 to a charity of their choice, or something. Make it CLEAR that this is not a moneymaking thing, it's for our own fun.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 13:56:26 »
Quick tip: Tell them each buyer will give $5 to a charity of their choice, or something. Make it CLEAR that this is not a moneymaking thing, it's for our own fun.

We are doing our best to show that it is for fans, by fans and not for profit outside of SP's production profits, but that is on them.

Offline tofgerl

Re: [GB] Out of the Vault - Series III: By Fans, For Fans (On Hold)
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:02:12 »
Yeah, but SP won't make more money because of this set, their order book is pretty full as it is.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 14:26:36 »
Yeah, but SP won't make more money because of this set, their order book is pretty full as it is.

What I mean is that they have their cost per keycap, and then they have the amount above each keycap to make it worthwhile for them to produce them. Believe me, machines won't turn unless there is money to be made in the plastics business...

The main thing is that, we don't intend to make a profit off of this sale; and any supposed profit from one set will fill in the costs of the others in order to make all keycaps become a reality. As stated in the amended OP, I will do my best to only charge the average cost to everyone once all orders have come in...but we are still waiting for approval to move ahead with Nuka Cola.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 19:38:17 »
We are still in a holding pattern. We hope to get a resolution soon. Don't worry, should we get the go ahead, I intend to extend deadlines.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #240 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 01:57:45 »
We are still in a holding pattern. We hope to get a resolution soon. Don't worry, should we get the go ahead, I intend to extend deadlines.

That's great to hear, Zero!

I want my yummy Nuka Colas! Thank you for sticking with it and going the extra mile with this.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline zaarx

« Reply #241 on: Wed, 23 September 2015, 04:18:20 »
I will be in even without Nuka Cola legends but man I'm craving Cola. So thanks for trying Zero. I'm still here, lurking, waiting and hoping.

Offline BrainFlush

• I type using my knuckles, 30 years running.
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/BrainFlush
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 14:37:00 »
Count me still in but hurry FFS. Just teasing!
I know this is stressful and was really a downer since it should have been something so simple based on the previous GB.
Just let us all know what's the deal when you hear something back.
As some have stated, with or without the NC cap, we are still in.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 25 September 2015, 19:33:06 »
Count me still in but hurry FFS. Just teasing!
I know this is stressful and was really a downer since it should have been something so simple based on the previous GB.
Just let us all know what's the deal when you hear something back.
As some have stated, with or without the NC cap, we are still in.

Thanks for the support.  If its a no go for NC, I will just relaunch a new IC

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 20:52:49 »
Official inquiry has now been sent to Bethesda...

Offline Xenocidal

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #245 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 02:11:33 »
Finger's crossed.

My Fallout themed board just wouldn't be the same without that delicious Nuka Cola cap.

Offline Data

« Reply #246 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:24:52 »
Official inquiry has now been sent to Bethesda...

I will sacrifice many Deathclaws to the Fallout gods today, so that we may soon bear witness to the Nuka Cola Uprising.

PRAISE BE TO PIP BOY!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Re: [GB] Out of the Vault - Series III: By Fans, For Fans (Cancelled)
« Reply #247 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:54:23 »
Just received official word from ZeniMax, parent company from Bethesda. They will not license anything. So, this group buy is now official cancelled. I will allow a day or two for final thoughts before I lock the thread.

The future: I plan to begin a new IC thread and I am thinking of running a single Vault 111 keycap in an array of colors. I would like to do an 87 key as well (my own personal wish) but beyond this...who knows.

Seriously thinking of moving on to some other ideas...

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #248 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:55:41 »
And I'm skipping Fallout 4.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #249 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:58:42 »