Author Topic: OG Cherry double shot PBT ?  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Gheyn

OG Cherry double shot PBT ?
« on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 04:15:53 »
I recently got my hands on a Cherry MX G80-1800HPMDE, mainly for the 1.75u rShift and 1u bottom row.
I really like OG Cherry double shots and this is not my first set.
BUT: this set is particularly rough to the touch AND inside the spacebar it says >PBT<.
So now I am wondering: Did Cherry ever make double shot PBT?
Or did they maybe only make the 6u spacebar out of PBT but then why do the other caps have an equally rough feeling and would Cherry really mix materials among the same set?
From my understanding, their double shot (H) keycaps have all been ABS but now I'm not so sure anymore.
Btw. based on quality, color and font I can say for sure that they are OG Cherries. Like I said, I have other sets to compare them to and the only difference is the roughness.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: OG Cherry double shot PBT ?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 04:26:23 »
Cherry never made doubleshot PBT, if they did we'd know about it.  They did make dyesub PBT so maybe someone swapped the spacebar when it got too shiny?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Gheyn

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 04:32:29 »
It was also my first thought that it might have been swapped but I asked the seller and they never did.
Also, like I said, all the keys are still rough and none of them has any shine... It is not just the spacebar

Offline subcat

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 04:37:18 »
I recently got my hands on a Cherry MX G80-1800HPMDE, mainly for the 1.75u rShift and 1u bottom row.
BUT: this set is particularly rough to the touch AND inside the spacebar it says >PBT<.
Or did they maybe only make the 6u spacebar out of PBT but then why do the other caps have an equally rough feeling and would Cherry really mix materials among the same set?
From my understanding, their double shot (H) keycaps have all been ABS but now I'm not so sure anymore.
Btw. based on quality, color and font I can say for sure that they are OG Cherries. Like I said, I have other sets to compare them to and the only difference is the roughness.

100% it's just some nice fresh abs, cherry did pbt spacebars regularly on abs boards

Offline Gheyn

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 05:57:43 »
100% it's just some nice fresh abs, cherry did pbt spacebars regularly on abs boards
Thanks! Didn't know they did that.

Do you also know if the 1u win and right click keys are dye-subbed or top printed, as they are not double shot ?
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:25:25 by Gheyn »

Offline subcat

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 07:13:25 »

Do you also know if the 1u win and left click keys are dye-subbed or top printed, as they are not double shot ?

they'll be pad printed, though on rare occasions they can be doubleshot too :)

Offline Gheyn

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:26:31 »

Do you also know if the 1u win and left click keys are dye-subbed or top printed, as they are not double shot ?

they'll be pad printed, though on rare occasions they can be doubleshot too :)

Tahnk you :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:35:55 »

For the record. I have had two sets of OG Cherry key caps that came with a space bar with the PBT underneat, but the sets were ABS double shots. What I think is that the mold for the space bars is engraved with the legend and maybe some space bars were actually made of PBT, because they are single mold.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:45:40 »
They just reused their mould intended for 6u PBT space bars when casting in ABS.
I once did the Acetone Test* in such a space bar, which showed it to be ABS.

* (The Acetone Test involves dipping a cotton bud in acetone and rubbing it in an area inside the keycap where nobody will see. If it smears: it is ABS; if nothing happens: it is PBT or POM)