Author Topic: Calling out people on their random-acts-of-kindness!  (Read 4867 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
Calling out people on their random-acts-of-kindness!
« on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:01:09 »
I was thinking about all of the random-acts-of-kindness people do for each other here, and though having a thread needed to happen. The contents of this thread may easily bleed into other threads, but feel free to double post something here!

Unlike some other amazing threads, this is a place for when people just do something for you with no expectations of anything in return. It can be sending off free stuff, giving you a good deal, helping you out with something in real life, anything that people do that is above and beyond!

« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:41:38 by livingspeedbump »
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
Re: Calling out people on their random-acts-of-kindness!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:02:18 »
I suppose I shall start of by saying Binge is one heck of a sweet guy. Gave me an auditory care package out of the blue, along with an adorable Slow-Fi sticker.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:08:19 »
Hey LSB I'm a huge fan of the site and your reviews and just about everything you do here reddit and keychatter ! Love the idea and will be checking this and posting in it as soon as I take some pics  :p
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 21:15:42 »
This seems fitting...  ^-^

Holy ****, livingspeedbump is the maaaan!  After I expressed interest in his friends' music, he hooked me up with their prior release as a gift.  And he threw in some kickass art (the B&W one) and a sampler CD.  Unbelievable.  Thanks so much!  :-*

Show Image

Naked Gods by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 00:37:08 »
I suppose I shall start of by saying Binge is one heck of a sweet guy. Gave me an auditory care package out of the blue, along with an adorable Slow-Fi sticker.
Show Image

Dat album is tight. Girl you know I'm just trying t'Netflix and chill.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:42:17 »
Sed8 is being a total broette and sending me some caps out of left field.  When she heard it was my birthday, she added even more goodies to the package.  @______@  She also knows I don't like receiving random gifts but she's a relentless little thing. :))  I really appreciate it, ma'am. /salute

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:55:49 »
I just yesterday got a cool little 'pay it forward' package from swill. I very much like what he sent my way!

He sent a few R/B/Y PBT mods, MX & Alps GeekHack keys, a cherry sticker, some keyboard feet (I've actually been looking for replacement rubber feet, its like hes psychic) and a Green w/ red eyes Raven.

B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 01:57:41 »
The other week I had a party, and I was left with about $100 of booze and $50 of food. <3

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 02:15:52 »
The other week I had a party, and I was left with about $100 of booze and $50 of food. <3

Sounds like a good situation.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 02:17:07 »

This other time, no one would hook me up with a keythulu. Then this guy did :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 02:24:56 »

That was a good situation too! Did it improve your game?  :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 02:40:54 »

I played twice since I got it, won once! And before that I was about 0/5 games! Hoping to play again next week :)

Another shoutout to dice that roll 5 or 6 :D

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 03:05:35 »

I played twice since I got it, won once! And before that I was about 0/5 games! Hoping to play again next week :)

Another shoutout to dice that roll 5 or 6 :D

Woot woot! Thanks once again Binge! Your caps bring luck.  ;)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 03:06:42 »
Since I can't sleep I'm gonna tell this story once for the newer folks at gh.

Once upon a time when I was a noob here, there was a bro by the name of mmb, now known as Bro Caps. He had helped out a brother dangwang with a dank Filco mod and I'm like **** maybe I should branch out from these stock blues I have. So I hit him up and he offered to do the mod for me and cover all parts and labour for an octopink clack. Back then clacks sold after market at like $60 so I'm like sure! Getting desoldering job, spring and stem swap, and lube and even an indicator led swap sounded hella worth since I couldn't solder for ****.

Fast forward a bit when it was all done. We were both real excited and he had shipped it out (he covered shipping to me btw) . Unfortunately weeks passed by and nothing came. My Filco got lost in the mail, along with what was supposed to be a prototype bro bot v1.

I can't remember the hassle and details here but I ended up purchasing a used filco on eBay and sent it to him. He redid all the modding and covered the parts AGAIN (and ****ing stickered too, I charge like $20 for that **** alone). This time he made sure that it got to me, and included the legendary sifo's soul v1 + a bunch of other novelty caps for FREE. During the time which I was without my Filco I had decided to learn how to solder myself so this wouldn't have to happen ever again (I think he had given me some tips too initially).

Fast forward a bit we keep in touch and chat on Skype once in a while. He started really getting into the whole bro caps thing and eventually changed his name and what not. I managed to accumulate a bunch of them through the first come first serve sales since I'm good at those. Any time I encountered an issue with a cap it was resolved. He's always taking feedback and ideas to incorporate in his craft.

He also got a clack for me that I had been wanting for ages, for probably about retail price through trading.

Basically bro caps was one of the friendliest people to me when I was new, and a huge reason for why I stuck around gh for so long, the reason why I learned how to solder myself and got into modding boards, why I have most of the novelty caps I have, and a whole bunch of other stuff I can't remember right now. The only thing he didn't do was find my LZ-S but that's another story :P

I know he can't win his own giveaway so that's why I thought I'd share here.

Oh and trust there's no favouritism, I ask him for stuff all the time and get rejected ;p always fair to everyone!

Rest in peace Filco.

And what eventually made its way to me:

And this sexy ass one off Reaper I got for my birthday

and a ton of other stuff.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2015, 03:27:39 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 05:28:42 »
clacktalk sent me merch and a marble lion a while ago
still turns down every bj offer i have for him
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 09:34:58 »
Since I can't sleep I'm gonna tell this story once for the newer folks at gh....

I did not know this story even. Very cool! What a bro.

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 September 2015, 13:57:34 »
Sed8 is being a total broette and sending me some caps out of left field.  When she heard it was my birthday, she added even more goodies to the package.  @______@  She also knows I don't like receiving random gifts but she's a relentless little thing. :))  I really appreciate it, ma'am. /salute
Haha sent so Modest rewind a couple months ago right around when secret secret santa was jjust ending everyone received there gifts Sent unbeknownst to me at the time had taken a brief break from GH and upon getting back noticed me jibber jabbering in a few threads and contacted me. Super polite and nice we chat it up a bit. He asks me some questions I answer. Well one day I log on and see a pm from him thats just a picture of this box with a Kuala winking and the corner of a bro cap and something else that looks like a cap. With a caption like expect a surprise that's pink and purple haha. I freak out as I can clearly see a bro cap in the pic. I'm thinking to. Myself don't get your hopes up stuff like this dosnt happen to you Ashley eeek. Sure enough this guy sends me a bro and a dolly 2 of my favorite caps and some really tasty candy.
He tells me well we at ctrl alt like to help out\surprise members of the community occasionally.(side note I'm almost 100% sure this came from his personal collection which makes mean even more....again thank you Sent <3) I have also seen him do this to other members here.
Sent tries to play it off but he is aTotal sweetie a true Bro and all around great guy.
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:26:16 »
Recently?

Sifo sent me a Starcraft shirt <3

Jdcarpe surprised me with some really cool notebooks.

Syribo decided to become my pen pal :D.

Lurch bought me pizza and put up with me pulling out ridiculous vinyl at the record store (that Star Trek comic was fire).

ghostjuggernaut, Karura, sethk_, inanis, and Sent have been fun to talk to. Just bouncing ideas off each other for new buys and getting info on Alps :D.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:36:00 »
cmadrid! hookin me up with AEK caps so i wouldnt have to pay shipping for a whole board. thanks man.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 09:43:33 »
cottonsox went out of his way to hook me up with a brocap when I was new to the scene and even sent me an HKP raven with it - top guy all around

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 16:52:06 »
went around record shopping with this guy...

..and the sneaky man got me this stellar piece of auditory art.  :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 16:55:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Uhhhh you conveniently forgot the part where this guy hooked that other guy up with some other stellar tunes.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 16:57:30 »

Show Image

Show Image

Uhhhh you conveniently forgot the part where this guy hooked that other guy up with some other stellar tunes.

At least this creeper shot doesnt include my face, so it is much less creepy and much more pleasant for people to look at than the alternative shot with me face  :p

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:06:28 »

Hoff strikes yet again  ;D

A fantastic Junip double LP randomly showed up on my door. Sneaky bugger must have ordered this and had it shipped to me before he even left in. Well played bud  :thumb:

Time to take a break from the hectic day at KeyChatter to give this a listen with a nice cup of scotch.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 15:11:39 »
Show Image

Hoff strikes yet again  ;D

A fantastic Junip double LP randomly showed up on my door. Sneaky bugger must have ordered this and had it shipped to me before he even left in. Well played bud  :thumb:

Time to take a break from the hectic day at KeyChatter to give this a listen with a nice cup of scotch.

Wow that was fast!  :)) 

Hope you enjoy it.  :)  The cup of scotch should complement nicely, as would a cup of coffee on a brisk fall morning.  ^-^

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 11:38:16 »
So I recently donated my first Bro, the Cosmos V2, that took me quite a while to acquire since I don't pay much over retail for them to a friend to use in collateral in his own trade. When a buddy is going for a dream set you help out, that's what friends are for and makes me much happier than owning a cap.

I got a knock on the door from the mail carrier today, and as someone that is usually on top of tracking all of my packages, knew nothing should be showing up.

I then had to put pants and **** on before noon on a Saturday morning  :mad:

And then I get this big old mystery box from Hoff with beer, candy, coffee, stickers, handwritten note, and a Reaper  :confused: I'm not used to being on the receiving end of such random acts of kindness  :eek:

IMG_6584 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_6585 by Andy, on Flickr

IMG_6586 by Andy, on Flickr