Author Topic: [IC] GMK Red & Blue Samurai - Launching June 2020  (Read 70307 times)

Offline Frystie

Re: [IC] GMK Red & Blue Samurai
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:18:38 »
I'd cast my vote for nishi in base.

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:40:09 »
Also voting for Latin alphas in base, also like the blue

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:46:26 »
FINALLY!

Now, let's check 'em kits. Both blue and red sets are identical except for the color, so my comments will apply to both:

1) Esc and horizontal ("ANSI") Enter are present in black and yellow; vertical ("ISO") and numpad Enter keys are present only in black. It's fine if you leave this as-is, but consider adding accent versions of the latter Enter keys.
2) Consider including the F13 key.
3) ISO is correctly supported in base. You don't have to change anything, but do consider replacing the R4 \| key with R4 <> (to follow the "terminal style" instead of the "PC style"). This change would apply to the Nishi sets as well.
4) Consider adding an 1.25U R4 Fn key.

5) Nishi sets are missing the R3 1.0 \|む keys (it IS correctly present on all other rows, though).
6) Same goes for the pure Hiragana sets: the R3 1.0 keys are missing.

7) The 2.25U and 2.75U space bars in the base kit: EXCELLENT. Now, could we ask for an additional, separate kit with just those four keys (red and blue, 2.25U and 2.75U)?

Looking forward to this!

Offline Abec13

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:12:10 »
No more 40s :(
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline ilikerustoo

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 14:02:24 »
I like both

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 14:05:19 »
may i suggest some V2 hiragana sublegends

+1, please make the bracket keys in both hiragana kits V2, along with the V2 keys which include furigana.

The bracket keys especially cause me pain.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 15:00:54 »
and any idea when it will be live on drop?

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 15:26:41 »
In for the Novelties!

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:22:26 »
I really like the blue base kit a lot! Please keep it Latin only.

The hiragana sublegends on all the kits lately are overdone. They're not even good for people that use kana input methods. ろ is misplaced, no ー key, no ひらがな or 変換 or 半角 keys, most are missing the ¥ and 「 」 keys, etc. It's all so people can feel cool with characters they can't read.

The "Theme" argument often used is also bad, especially since the sets don't respect the theme enough to have something near JIS support. Imagine a Germany themed set without even ISO support.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:50:37 »
FINALLY!

Now, let's check 'em kits. Both blue and red sets are identical except for the color, so my comments will apply to both:

1) Esc and horizontal ("ANSI") Enter are present in black and yellow; vertical ("ISO") and numpad Enter keys are present only in black. It's fine if you leave this as-is, but consider adding accent versions of the latter Enter keys.
3) ISO is correctly supported in base. You don't have to change anything, but do consider replacing the R4 \| key with R4 <> (to follow the "terminal style" instead of the "PC style"). This change would apply to the Nishi sets as well.

5) Nishi sets are missing the R3 1.0 \|む keys (it IS correctly present on all other rows, though).

7) The 2.25U and 2.75U space bars in the base kit: EXCELLENT. Now, could we ask for an additional, separate kit with just those four keys (red and blue, 2.25U and 2.75U)?

Looking forward to this!

you're not incorrect, but this wouldn't even fit a JIS board in the first place and weebs will buy it cause it's weeb ****

i don't think GMK has the right weeb mold so a few bucks can be saved by not bothering
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:56:05 »
Latin in base.

Offline kiyoboard

• https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
    • https://www.youtube.com/kiyoboard
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:59:19 »
Red Samurai was the first set I really wanted but couldn't get since I wasn't in the hobby when it was released. It is still one of my favorite set of all time. I have the drop tkl version but it has very limited compatibility of course. Glad that it is back and I am in for both colorways :)

Offline dak148

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:59:39 »
Just separate the alphas so people can choose. I'd rather have the weeb alphas and don't want to pay extra for them.  :))

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:01:17 »
Just separate the alphas so people can choose. I'd rather have the weeb alphas and don't want to pay extra for them.  :))

if you split the kits you'll end up paying about 10% per kit extra regardless for GMK kit split tax, this is the worst solution
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline megaforce

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:01:53 »
that blue looking cute tho
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:08:09 »
why have two identical spacebar kits

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:21:01 »

clout

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 18:42:13 »

if you split the kits you'll end up paying about 10% per kit extra regardless for GMK kit split tax, this is the worst solution

10% might be optimistic. Tough to get split alpha and mods below 165 USD combined and thats GMK dark money. Didn't oblotzky try this with oblivion R2?

Offline PhantomLeadr

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:21:40 »
DEF +1 here. Apologies if im not doing this right im very new to the hobby/community. I just ordered the 65% on drop but im afraid it wont fit my Tokyo60. Will these be able to fit an HHKB profile? Either way i want to cop both sets ASAP lol.

Offline Popopro

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 20:59:29 »
latin in base pls

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 21:07:46 »
Would love R4 1.5u Fn key.
I'm 100% in on all of the Red Samurai kits.

Offline zakatak

• no cash
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 21:24:49 »
Nishi in base pls ( at least for blue sam)

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Offline pcire

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 22:53:50 »
Yes!!!!

Edit: Nishi in the base, please! As someone said, pay extra to stay foreign.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 02:27:44 by pcire »

Offline Owl-

« Reply #73 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 23:06:36 »
Highly suggesting to combine red and blue novelty kit. only difference between them is the base colour for the sets, and there are more mod colour keys than the accent keys too boot.

need to see a separate alpha base splitspace bar kit too. make it as a single kit containing red and blue, though I would rather see it separate.

Am I sensing redsun making gmk green samurai hit the battlefield down the line?  :rolleyes:

Offline dorf

• divine creator
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 03:30:46 »
How about a R5 kit which also includes AltGr? That would be awesome!

Offline baysic

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 04:36:52 »
Highly suggesting to combine red and blue novelty kit. only difference between them is the base colour for the sets, and there are more mod colour keys than the accent keys too boot.

need to see a separate alpha base splitspace bar kit too. make it as a single kit containing red and blue, though I would rather see it separate.

Am I sensing redsun making gmk green samurai hit the battlefield down the line?  :rolleyes:

Show Image

+1 on green samurai so 3 sets RGB Samurai.  :))
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:04:02 by baysic »

Offline Stanley.Bishop

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:04:08 »
Always wanted a samurai set without nishi :cool:

Offline RedBeardDog

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:19:02 »
Nice!!!
How about rama keycap and deskmate ?

Offline dantambok

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 08:13:18 »
i like seeing split space bars in base kits!   :thumb:
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline wil

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 09:34:18 »
+1 for v2 hiragana sublegends

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 10:58:30 »
+1 for green samurai.

More seriously, as neat as the original redsuns run was, I’m not a super big fan of red color ways. I’m taking serious interest in blue samurai now.

I would really like to see more of the R1 novelties turned into R4 novelties. As a 40s user, I can’t use any R1 keys if I want to keep profiles correct. Having more R4 novelties also means stronger 40s support without running a 40s kit.

Not a fan of the R1 1u backspace that is “bsp”. It should be “back” or “bksp” or just the icon IMO.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:03:31 by DrHigsby »

Offline SpinningHook

• "I can't know how to hear anymore about tables!."
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:06:58 »
I would also purchase a green set, if it were to be released. I would gladly rotate through all three every so often.
"Brevity is the soul of wit."

Offline akaredskin

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:16:23 »
Can the spacebars kit for Blue Samurai be blue? For those who have R1 of Red Samurai, they would be able to buy the Nishi blue set and spacebars and not have to buy another whole base kit just for blue alphas.

Offline username_87

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:34:18 »
+1 for green
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:22:49 by username_87 »
Polaris

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:46:20 »
Spacebars other than 6.25u and 7u in the spacebar kits should be alpha-colored, imo.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:54:57 »
Not sure if Planck support is a goal, but if so, then you'll need a 1u R4 Enter key, and alternate R3/R2 Tab/Esc keys. A mod-color :; key would also be good, as well as R4C 1u keys in the spacebars kit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:58:49 by equalunique »

Offline GigaFlop

Re: [IC] GMK Red & Blue Samurai - Launching June 2020
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:30:46 »

Show Image

Going to +1 on combining the novelty kits. 19 of the keys are identical, and 15 are just color variations. Might help get MOQ for whatever colorway is less popular.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline Rexcramer

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 14:06:35 »
+1 for latin alphas in base and NorDe kit  :thumb:

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:01:02 »
FINALLY!

Looking forward to this!

you're not incorrect, but this wouldn't even fit a JIS board in the first place and weebs will buy it cause it's weeb ****

i don't think GMK has the right weeb mold so a few bucks can be saved by not bothering

How about we DO bother and get the kit right? Later "weeb ****" can benefit from the new mold GMK would make to get things right in this set.

Offline pcire

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:03:30 »
Too many great sets running in June!!!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #90 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:44:50 »
FINALLY!

Looking forward to this!

How about we DO bother and get the kit right? Later "weeb ****" can benefit from the new mold GMK would make to get things right in this set.

JIS is a 3u spacebar ISO enter layout that is not supported by any existing custom PCBs that i am aware of, so it's 100% not worth it to appeal to that layout

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:50:46 »
FINALLY!

Looking forward to this!

JIS is a 3u spacebar ISO enter layout that is not supported by any existing custom PCBs that i am aware of, so it's 100% not worth it to appeal to that layout

I'm talking about the alphas, not the bottom row.

Also, the JIS layout (still) doesn't have standardized keycap lengths on the central bottom row. Some have a 3U space bar, others don't.

Most of the rest of the physical layout differences ("ANSI" left Shift, "ISO" Enter, split Backspace) are already supported... except for the splitting of the right Shift on the inner side.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:02:24 »

My guess is this will be two separate group buys.  You don't want to have to participate in both GBs just to get a spacebar kit.

Just like how the Decorations kit was identical in both Belafonte and Hennessey GBs when they ran concurrently last month.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:09:30 »
Blue Samurai looks phenomenal, but yeah, I don't think you should leave the Hiragana sublegends in another kit. It's GMK Samurai. Make the filthy gaijins pay more to stay foreign ;D

Seriously though: Nishi in the main kit, then Latin and Pure as seperate ones.

Just gonna put this here...

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:30:28 »

My guess is this will be two separate group buys.  You don't want to have to participate in both GBs just to get a spacebar kit.

Just like how the Decorations kit was identical in both Belafonte and Hennessey GBs when they ran concurrently last month.

Hope for blue samurai...

Offline RedBeardDog

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:49:21 »
+1 for green set

Offline niakulah

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:20:42 »
FINALLY!
 consider adding accent versions of the latter Enter keys.

+1

ISO and numpad enter for Novelties too.

Offline kaiba

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:57:32 »
For the novelties kits, please consider adding or moving one of the r1 shurikens to r2. It's just, I don't know what the object is that's being depicted in the current r2 novelty, so would like something more universally recognized to put there.

Offline ChaoticEnigma

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 02:00:13 »
I'm wondering if getting the right side shift, control, alt, and menu would be possible as a stand alone set. Those are all I need for the Reds.

Offline hyppialonso

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 06:47:36 »
Blue Samurai looks phenomenal, but yeah, I don't think you should leave the Hiragana sublegends in another kit. It's GMK Samurai. Make the filthy gaijins pay more to stay foreign ;D

Seriously though: Nishi in the main kit, then Latin and Pure as seperate ones.

Just gonna put this here...

Show Image

Absolutely agree with it, after all this a Japanese theme keycap set, there is noway that the base kit includes no gaijin sublegend on it.
The low number in the nishi kit in the r1 doesn't not mean much as most of the people will buy a base kit only imo.