Author Topic: [IC] Cherry Blossomx Deskmats - GB LIVE Dec 1-30  (Read 40076 times)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
[IC] Cherry Blossomx Deskmats - GB LIVE Dec 1-30
« on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 08:33:35 »
Groupbuy is now live!

Vendors

USA - Vala Supply
Canada - Mech.land
Europe - My Keyboard EU
UK - Proto[Typist]
OCE - Daily Clack
Singapore/Malaysia - iLumkb
China/Global - Wuque Studio
UA/BEL/RU: Funkeys
South Asia/Middle East - StacksKB
South Korea: Monstargears
Japan: Yushakobo
PH: Zionstudios
Mexico: Rheset
Taiwan: Inpad

Greetings Geekhack!
This is an interest check for the “Cherry Blossomx” Deskmat Series

Colourways

Hanami (花見)
"Flower Viewing"

Sakura (桜)
"Cherry Blossom"

Fuji (藤)
"Wisteria"

Fuyu (冬)
"Winter"

Sumi-e (墨絵)
"Black Ink Painting"
(In the bottom right corner is a Japanese idiom which depicts the kanji for the four trees that bloom in spring: cherry, plum, apricot and peach. Each flower blooms in its own time and it represents that everyone is on their own journey through life.)

Anzu (杏)
"Apricot"

Yozakura (夜桜)
"Night Cherry Blossom"

Ume (梅)
"Plum"
(A shout to Gateron Yellows)

Tsubaki (椿)
"Camellia"

Eva (ヱヴァ)

Ao (青)
"Blue"

Kindly note that lighter colored designs (with Sumi-E as the exception) will have edge stitching that will match the background colour (the design will go over the edge), whereas the rest of the colourways will have black stitching on the edge. Sumi-E is the exception as I have compared both samples of white stitching vs black stitching, and found I preferred the clean contrast and framing the black stitched edges gave, whilst maintaining the monochromatic look.
Colourways with over the edge printing:

Renders

"Note, renders slightly out of date, showing version 1. There are a few more falling petals"

Design

Cherry Blossomx is a deskpad collection series evoking the classic beauty of Sakura trees but with a twist. Amidst the flower buds and falling petals in the wind, you might notice the branches are adorned with flowers transformed into MX-style switches! Frame your set-up with an elegant design that represents the mechanical as botanical. There’s a broad array of 11 colourways to fit just about any desk setup; and you also might notice that each design is a call-out to a different switch or keycap set!

Yozakura (Night Sakura) is to complement my love for Rose Gold keycap sets like GMK Olivia & JTK Night Sakura.
Fuji (Wisteria) is a reference to Lavender switches, which I personally think are one of the loveliest looking switches.
Fuyu (Winter), because baby blue flowers are beautiful. Penguin switches too.
Sumi-e (Black ink) is a shout-out to Gateron Ink Black switches, the previous classic standard for great sounding linear switches
Anzu (Apricot) is a nod to Holy Pandas, the most hyped custom MX switch... so much history and drama for what started as a frankenswitch.
Ume (Plum) is a tribute to Gateron Yellow switches, my first linear love on a budget.
Ao (Blue) for OA linear switches

Yes, I considered the greatest of all time switch, MX Browns, and yes, it looked like doo-doo

Specifications
900mmx400mmx4mm
Stitched Edging
Rubber non-slip bottom
Cloth-top

Stay Up to Date

via Discord Server | DMs: BobaSweatandTears#1659
via Instagram

Thanks
- Oli (SA Geoma) for the Deskmat mock-up template
- Wintheart for the indirect inspiration - sticker art of Sakurios
- Keyboard designers (such as CMM.studio, Rama.Works, TKC) for letting their keyboards being readily available to use for render purposes
- KRK

<3
BobaSweatandTears

If these aren’t your style, then I’d like to also plug other deskmats, such as:

Sol Deskmat
More
Umbra:

& Hypatia:

KAT Space Dust
i.e. Singularity, Aero-Sol, Vacuum:
More

And KAT Great Wave as well!
More

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 December 2021, 23:56:51 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline JohnYYZ

• KanataKeys.co
Re: [IC] Cherry Blossomx Deskmats
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 09:28:13 »
Woah! That is some nice deskmats!  ;D

Offline Armyofkeyboards

• www.armyofkeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 11:57:40 »
This looks pretty cool. Would love to see one with shades of green (Kiwis maybe?)

Definitely in for Hanami and Sakura.

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 12:55:35 »
DailyClack for OCE vendor please

Offline matchaboba

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 19:22:52 »
Following. These are pretty, OP :)

Offline Xherion

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 20:20:30 »
You’ve done it again, Boba!

All your deskmat designs are spectacular. I will be in on this.

Offline GLOVE

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 20:36:22 »
Beautiful design

Offline seikoholic

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 03:10:46 »
Everytime Boba posts, money from my wallet disappears.

edit: feedback form does not work.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 July 2021, 03:16:11 by seikoholic »

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 07:56:32 »
Woah! That is some nice deskmats!  ;D
Beautiful design
You’ve done it again, Boba!

All your deskmat designs are spectacular. I will be in on this.
Following. These are pretty, OP :)
Thanks so much for the appreciative comments <3

This looks pretty cool. Would love to see one with shades of green (Kiwis maybe?)

Definitely in for Hanami and Sakura.
Cheers. I did give green a go and it looked alright, but it ultimately looked more like a tree branch then a flower branch, which is not really the effect I wanted. I also don't really want to run any more deskmat variations atm.

Everytime Boba posts, money from my wallet disappears.

edit: feedback form does not work.
thanks! Sorry not sorry about your wallet  :p.
(cheers link updated)

Offline Scriba

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 11:11:32 »
interested

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 09:20:15 »
Decided to do some renders:

Yozakura (夜桜)
"Night Cherry Blossom"

Fuji (藤)
"Wisteria"

(Thanks to Rama Work and CMM Studio for permission to use their keyboards in renders)

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 15:55:15 »
ok where are the cherry switches though

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 18:00:01 »
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd much prefer there to not be pictures of switches inside the flowers and just have the flowers themselves. Otherwise I absolutely love these and would probably buy a couple different dark designs.

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 04:11:01 »
Hi, thanks for all the feedback. I'm currently exploring adding more falling petals and/or adding calligraphy to cover more of the mat.
The following image is a draft and subject to change, but is the direction I'm thinking of:

ok where are the cherry switches though
They're the original, but the black housing leads to black petals/flowers which is a bit difficult to pull off alongside the red, blue, or brown stems. It just doesn't look good imo and I have more than enough colourways currently. Consider the Sumi-e variant as the black housing version.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd much prefer there to not be pictures of switches inside the flowers and just have the flowers themselves. Otherwise I absolutely love these and would probably buy a couple different dark designs.
Hi, yeah I'm contemplating in the future re-doing a similar design with the flowers themselves without the switches, but that's a bit off in the future.
For now, I would rather stick to this more interesting/original concept first.

Offline Acedia

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 06:42:14 »
They're so pretty omg... Gorgeous

Just a #concept idk, perhaps instead of having the browns as the blossoming flowers, instead the leaves dying or falling off in autumn/winter? A poor little barren mx brown tree.
Perhaps may have already tried playing around with the undertones of those pesky browns as well, but in looking brown or black flowers seem to skew yellow & red respectively.

Either way, just my own ramblings. These I'd be very interested in picking up. <3

Offline Xherion

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 08:57:31 »
Actually I really like it with the switches, it’s subtle and adding interesting twist / element of our hobby.

Offline sapisoi

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 15 July 2021, 10:49:44 »
that fuyu deskmat tho  :-* looks so nice

Offline funnelcakeee

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 July 2021, 23:17:33 »
Hi, thanks for all the feedback. I'm currently exploring adding more falling petals and/or adding calligraphy to cover more of the mat.
The following image is a draft and subject to change, but is the direction I'm thinking of:
Show Image

Thanks for considering my suggestion of adding additional petal designs to fill more of the mat. Have you tried exploring designs such as a few 'fallen' switches on the bottom/bottom right corner? Absolutely love the designs and can't wait for the GB! Will definitely purchase a few mats regardless of whatever the final products ends up to be

Offline Tiff0

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 00:34:58 »
I like the falling leaves, adds more movement. Boba makes, I buy!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 July 2021, 12:44:40 »
A bit more work done on the falling petals. Still debating on whether or not to include Kanji calligraphy.

Just a #concept idk, perhaps instead of having the browns as the blossoming flowers, instead the leaves dying or falling off in autumn/winter? A poor little barren mx brown tree.
Perhaps may have already tried playing around with the undertones of those pesky browns as well, but in looking brown or black flowers seem to skew yellow & red respectively.

Either way, just my own ramblings. These I'd be very interested in picking up. <3
Thanks for the suggestion. Brown is just a hard colour to make look good overall, so I'm going to avoid it as I have more than enough colourways.

Actually I really like it with the switches, it’s subtle and adding interesting twist / element of our hobby.
Thanks <3

Thanks for considering my suggestion of adding additional petal designs to fill more of the mat. Have you tried exploring designs such as a few 'fallen' switches on the bottom/bottom right corner? Absolutely love the designs and can't wait for the GB! Will definitely purchase a few mats regardless of whatever the final products ends up to be
Cheers for the suggestion (there were a few ppl who also suggested adding more falling petals).
I' played a bit with fallen switches in the corner, which seemed good in theory, but I couldn't make it work out. It sort of altered the tree branch in the sky with petals falling vibe.
<3

Some fun renders of 2 of the other colours (albeit with the non-updated extra petals - sigh, going to have re-render a bunch):

« Last Edit: Sun, 18 July 2021, 12:50:57 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline norahs

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 06:42:26 »
i've had this thread on watch but i hadn't scrolled further down to the comments!
i personally like the simplicity of your inital designs! i like how it's a bit more empty space tho!
i feel like the petals are now a bit too much floating around? just me, maybe..
can't wait to see the final design you'll go with!

Offline drunken_sailor

• * Vendor
  • I'm from KeebCats!
    • KeebCats
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 09:51:03 »
I love the simplicity of the original designs too; the branch ending on where the keyboard would likely sit is charming to me.

Absolutely beautiful designs.

Offline MichelKami

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 21:59:21 »
I'll take all, thanks

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 02:39:49 »
i've had this thread on watch but i hadn't scrolled further down to the comments!
i personally like the simplicity of your inital designs! i like how it's a bit more empty space tho!
i feel like the petals are now a bit too much floating around? just me, maybe..
can't wait to see the final design you'll go with!

I love the simplicity of the original designs too; the branch ending on where the keyboard would likely sit is charming to me.

Absolutely beautiful designs.

Cheers. Yeah might have gone too far in the other direction, and I need to work out the best balance to add a touch more detail with falling petals without going overboard.
I am mindful in fact that with a keyboard on the mat, many of the petals will in fact be covered anyways...
The weeb in me wants to add calligraphy, but at the same time, less is more, so I'm now leaning against it.

I've been a bit busy doing some other projects, but will get back to this soon to finalise the design/colours, then pursue sample deskmat production.

I'll take all, thanks

Offline JohnYYZ

• KanataKeys.co
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 10:22:53 »
Darn you Boba......because now I need to get this for my Fuji65+JTK NS on top of the countless deskmats I have   ^-^

Offline Kansir

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 13:20:09 »
oh boy I have to have these for my fuji65, would be such a nice setup  :thumb:

Offline Zyrophr

• https://zyrophr.com
    • zyrophr.com
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 16:46:44 »
Those looks fantastic. Hope I can snatch more than one when the GB happens!
GL!
French keyboard streamer

Offline freather

• Keyspensory
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 00:00:41 »
Please gib! I have my Fuji65 ready to be sitted.
Nice works on the renders!

Offline Navyjai

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 07 August 2021, 00:31:07 »
Love the twist! Will be eyeing for an Ume. GL!

Offline MrBingo

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 00:09:59 »
I love them all, what a beautiful idea, give me 4 of each. :eek:

Offline streetmeat5

• Owner of Pantheon Lab: Home to the Atlas 65
    • pantheonlab
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 08 August 2021, 21:03:17 »
The sumi looks fire omg

Offline atlantiasekai

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 August 2021, 05:24:52 »
This looks amazing! Would love to see a dark blue version as well

Offline Envious

• Envious Design
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 08:09:03 »
:O this is cute, I like the more monochrome  ones but I like!

Offline Buburoo

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 08:17:29 »
noice  :thumb:

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 09:55:09 »
Love this, the Fuyu and Fuji colourways are way too pretty!
Would love to see Mechboards UK as the UK vendor  :thumb:
church of the POM keeb

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 11:02:16 »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I took a bit time away from this design so I could look at it again with fresh eyes, and upon revisiting it, have done some tweaks/updates:

- Added extra falling petals; hopefully it helps a bit with the flow. If you have a large keyboard (i.e. 1800/100%/75%) it probably doesn't make that much of a difference, but the extra petals frames smaller keyboards a bit better imo.

- Given the extra falling petals, the design feels less empty, thus I've decided to forego adding a calligraphy element for now to keep it 'clean'. I might revisit the corner calligraphy in the future if this is ever fortunate enough to get a R2 (wouldn't be for a while though).

- The only exception to this decision, is the Sumi-E colourway where it felt appropriate in the design to add a little flair in the bottom right corner. Being monochrome, there is more leeway here.

- Instead of just going with the character for 'Sakura', I've instead opted for a 'seal' design that contains a Japanese idiom which depicts the kanji for the four trees that bloom in spring: cherry, plum, apricot and peach. Each flower blooms in its own time and it represents that everyone is on their own journey through life.

- Hanami (Flower Viewing) and Sakura flower/petals were made a bit more pink/saturated. After looking at more photos of Sakura flowers, I felt the first iteration wasn't pink enough.

- Yozakura (Night Sakura) flower/petals were made a bit less pink, and more 'nude', in an attempt to differentiate it more towards rose gold, after looking closer at the rose gold accent keys of a popular GMK set.

- Fuji (Wisteria) colours were tweaked to be a bit more purple.

- Fuyu (Winter) colours were tweaked to be a lighter/icier blue

- Ume (Plum)[Gat Yellow] was made to have light yellow background instead of the original black version to add a bit more variety. It is the least popular colourway and I doubt this change will make it more popular, but I wanted it to look a bit more different from the Anzu (Apricot)[Holy Panda] variant. It's a tentative option atm.

- Tsubaki (Camellia) - added a red colourway variation due to several requests. It remains tentative atm. Red Camellia reportedly means love, and also these spring flowers were very popular with nobles during the Edo Period, symbolising a noble death for samurai.

- I decided to have all colourways will have black stitching for clear framing and simplicity (1 less element for colour production decisions). Coloured / over the edge stitching didn't feel necessary, and renders with black stitching for the lighter coloured designs looks solid.

I'll have to get round to updating the renders in original post, but here are some with the tweaks incorporated:

Disclaimer: Note the above renders/mock-ups in this post are my best attempt of representation of the colours (working in a CYMK colour profile space) but digital images will always be a touch different from real world viewing. Samples will of course be ordered before the GB production to avoid any major issues (i.e. PBT Islander).

Also although the colours here were picked to potentially complement some keycap sets in mind, I do not guarantee any exact colour match, as colour reproduction on a cloth top mat is far different from plastic. These were just done via my eye's subjectivity on what I thought looked good in itself. The keycap sets in renders are not 100% exact matches to any existing ones.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 September 2021, 11:04:36 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Acedia

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 19:32:04 »
Loving the new Ume version, If that ends up being the final I'd be picking it up :)

Offline shadowine

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 07 September 2021, 22:21:23 »
A bit more work done on the falling petals. Still debating on whether or not to include Kanji calligraphy.
Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for the suggestion. Brown is just a hard colour to make look good overall, so I'm going to avoid it as I have more than enough colourways.

Thanks <3

Cheers for the suggestion (there were a few ppl who also suggested adding more falling petals).
I' played a bit with fallen switches in the corner, which seemed good in theory, but I couldn't make it work out. It sort of altered the tree branch in the sky with petals falling vibe.
<3

Some fun renders of 2 of the other colours (albeit with the non-updated extra petals - sigh, going to have re-render a bunch):
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I really enjoy the purple with the grey branch it’s more clean to me instead of brown. Also this is insanely creative and very beautiful! I really look forward to the groupbuy keep up the good work!

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 03:46:22 »
I really enjoy the purple with the grey branch it’s more clean to me instead of brown. Also this is insanely creative and very beautiful! I really look forward to the groupbuy keep up the good work!

Ah I've been debating about what colour branch would be best and remain unsure if I should stick to brown, or shift over to gray. I flip flop on this a fair bit:

I've added another question/poll to the Feedback form to help gather more data on people's preferences.

Loving the new Ume version, If that ends up being the final I'd be picking it up :)
Thanks! Glad the new Ume version has a fan.

I remain a bit unsure if I may have added 1-2 petals too many, and now considering doing a final tweak and removing 1-2 of the most bottom petals. I don't know how I feel about having those bottom most petals being visible on <75% keyboards. I'm now leaning towards removing them. Such a minor thing that's taking me ages to decide on (sigh)

Offline norahs

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 16:10:50 »
oof the new ume is stunning!! i def would be picking up the ume and anzu one, just to have the varation hehe
however the tsubaki one is just wow!!!!!
i love the small stamp update for the monochrome one, very clean and chique!!

my 2 cents on the design hesitation:
personally i like the brown branch with the purple! :-) gives it a more soft, warm feeling rather than grey, which is a colder colour!
as i did like the simplicity of your initial designs with the minimal petals, i do think considering removing the bottom 2 petals would be just as great!

beyond excited for this, hope to see it soon!
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 September 2021, 16:14:43 by norahs »

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 00:06:47 »
oof the new ume is stunning!! i def would be picking up the ume and anzu one, just to have the varation hehe
however the tsubaki one is just wow!!!!!
i love the small stamp update for the monochrome one, very clean and chique!!

my 2 cents on the design hesitation:
personally i like the brown branch with the purple! :-) gives it a more soft, warm feeling rather than grey, which is a colder colour!
as i did like the simplicity of your initial designs with the minimal petals, i do think considering removing the bottom 2 petals would be just as great!

beyond excited for this, hope to see it soon!

Thanks for the feedback <3. I do agree brown branch is much more 'warmer' than the gray and that's where I've leant 55% of the time, but I can see why people prefer the gray branch as well.
Due to my indecision, I've added the question to the poll and will start doing more promotion on reddit to get a bit more data on preferences. Ultimately I think I'll go with what's most popular, but if it's a close poll, I'll try and hope for a R2 one day, and offer the other variant.

I'm don't want to add more colourways, but I've decided to add the following to the Google form for polling just to see if there is any demand, because there's lots of Evangelion fans. It might be a bit too niche for me to offer, but I thought it was worth exploring interest

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 November 2021, 02:06:22 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Xherion

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 04:35:07 »
Thanks for the update, and I filled up the IC form

Offline norahs

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 13 September 2021, 18:44:57 »
ooo another update, im living for your updates!!
im not exactly an evangelion fan but i can sure appreciate this colour way too!!
but my top picks do remain the same hehe

filled in the IC form accordingly! :-)

Offline CherryLuci

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 07:08:22 »
These are really nice mats. Ive filled it the IC last month. Hope to see this make to group buy soon !

Offline FXSD

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 20:50:03 »
Just wondering.. Is it possible to have a desk mat with painted sakura (or other flowers) instead of the switches? Might be more attractive.

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 00:44:53 »
Just give me already

Offline Bobatype

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 11:06:41 »
Tentatively aiming for Group buy to occur in December
Vendor list updated.
Round 1 samples have arrived and I took some amateur shots at home on my trusty LG phone, on either my bed or the dinner table at different times of the day.
Note that Sumi-E will have a black stitched edge (unlike R1 sample).

Album: https://imgur.com/a/4D3osYj (would advise not loading this if on limited phone data)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2021, 11:10:26 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 16:40:29 »
These look like some good samples so far! :D

Offline spiritusluna

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 11 November 2021, 17:41:19 »
These deskmats look great!! The keycap sets you rendered in Fuyu and Wisteria look absolutely gorgeous! I hope you think about turning them into an actual concept, I'd love to get these pastel keycaps!

Offline Vorge

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 02:12:21 »
I think Im in love