Author Topic: Strange/alt layouts.  (Read 4339 times)

Offline Infinite north

Strange/alt layouts.
« on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 19:40:49 »
I have been looking for some different key layouts. I'll post some of what I have up here. any additions would be welcome.

I am holding back a few for now, just to let others post.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 20:08:02 »
When I was prototyping (pun, ha ha) custom keyboard arrangements, the flat Maltron arrangement was quite uncomfortable compared to the Kinesis curved bowls. Maltron uses Cherry blacks in their one-handed keyboards. I don't know if that executive keyboard uses blacks, too.

I never saw a t box keyboard before.

That Wolf King disk keyboard arrangement intrigues me, but I vomit each time I type on one, because of the rubber dome squishy feel. The Wolf King version with a full keyboard attached SEEMED to have an acceptable key feel, but I've never found a display where I could type on a WK disk and full at the same time for A/B comparison.

Kinesis with Cherry browns is my perfect keyboard. In part because there's plenty of room for modding.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline erricrice

Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 May 2010, 22:03:37 »
Quote from: webwit;185065

Wow this thread just caught your attention, huh?

How fast can you actually type on the datahand webwit?  And how often to you use it?
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline erricrice

Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 08:45:56 »
Quote from: webwit;185300
I haven't measured my speed for a while but it should be over 80wpm (my speed last time I checked). In any case, fast enough and faster than I can think. It is my daily driver. Some things are sooo fast. For example, I push my left thumb slightly to the right (Ctrl), right index finger up (L), left middle finger right (g), right thumb down (Tenkey shift), left index finger down (arrow down), left thumb left (Return) and address bar completion took me faster to geekhack than any other method including the mouse to click a bookmark icon. And my hands did not move.

Damn, just nuts!

I like the wireless mod(some previous thread) btw, funny how your desk has nothing on it now, it looks so strange...
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Mañana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline D-EJ915

Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 18:34:24 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 May 2010, 18:39:12 »
If the Vaio can get in, so can this.

Waterproof keyboard is waterproof.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline DreymaR

• Colemak forum guy
    • DreymaR's Big Bag of Kbd Tricks
Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 04:21:35 »
Quote from: webwit;185300
Some things are sooo fast. For example, I push my left thumb slightly to the right (Ctrl), right index finger up (L), left middle finger right (g), right thumb down (Tenkey shift), left index finger down (arrow down), left thumb left (Return) and address bar completion took me faster to geekhack than any other method including the mouse to click a bookmark icon. And my hands did not move.

I agree - this kind of functionality may actually surpass typing speed when it comes to actual productivity (at least when your measure of 'productivity' is how fast you can surf the web, hehe...).

My own variant on a run-of-the-mill keyboard would be a real Ctrl-L (I can press Ctrl with the hand instead of fingers so it's not so bad) followed by 'geekhack' (which I can type very fast of course) and then CapsLock plus home position keys for arrows and finally Space while holding down CapsLock for Enter. Not as good as WebWit's of course, but it certainly beats not having anything!!!
Better burden you cannot carry than man-wisdom much ~ Hávamál

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 06:25:31 »

Offline Infinite north

Strange/alt layouts.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 11:14:18 »
that thing has alot of lock buttons.