Author Topic: [GB] Prime_Elise GB Ended, EXTRAS NOW ON SALE  (Read 48154 times)

Offline mujimanic

[GB] Prime_Elise GB Ended, EXTRAS NOW ON SALE
« on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 18:59:08 »
12/13/2020: EXTRAS ON SALE AT https://SNEAKBOX.COM

Prime_Elise Keyboard Group Buy has ended. Buy ran from February 15, 2020 to March 21, 2020

Wrist Rests for Prime_Elise are in, and preorders will run Sun 5/10/2020 for 1 week.

https://sneakbox.design

242039-0

This wrist rest is CNC-milled with a 6-degree incline, meant to fit flush with the contoured chin of the Prime Elise, but will likely work with your own custom Elise case with an 8-degree angled chin.

Each wrist rest is milled from your choice of these natural hardwoods:
- Maple
- Oak
- Zebrawood
- Cherry
- Black Walnut
- Wenge

Six degree incline to match the Prime_Elise

Wrist rest is finished with polyurethane varnish and left unstained.

Each wrist rest will come with rubberized foam feet.

*Note: The wood for the wrist rests is naturally-sourced. Wood grain patterns may vary even in the same wood species. Also, the wood may have a tendency to bend depending on moisture and temperature conditions (particularly with less dense woods like zebrawood, less so with denser woods). However, the wrist rest should sit level with the use of the included foam rubber feet.

Elise Group Buy Participants:

If you have purchased a wrist rest directly from the storefront here, if you want to combine the cost of shipping with your Prime_Elise order, please message me directly on discord (https://discord.gg/RUf75n2) with your wrist rest order number and your original Prime_Elise order number.

Alternatively, you can message me on discord with your Prime_Elise order number and I can add the wrist rest onto your original order.

Hardware included with each 1 unit order:
- 1 wood wrist rest of your choice of wood species
- 4 rubberized foam bumpers

ORIGINAL POST BELOW
===================

235027-1

(Yes, you saw right. That's a polycarbonate shell.)

Link to my Discord server for updates and support: https://discord.gg/77d4hDq

IC FORM HERE https://forms.gle/iNTBR24MDC5qbmWZA

Geekhack IC Thread here https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=ecnn40dondsno7145v0c46knnfqsoiok&topic=104197.0

UPDATES
Prototype pictures are in! They are still in the possession of the manufacturer and I will update the thread once I can take better pictures after they arrive to me.
237848-2237850-3
237852-4237854-5

The black-gray is being re-done because the factory made it too green. The rose gold looks pretty good (it's color matched to actual rose gold alloy) and I'm looking forward to actually getting my hands on these protos soon.

Because the manufacturing was delayed, once I physically receive the prototypes I will send final pictures and allow participants to change their orders if they wish prior to the final manufacturing order being sent.

The Elise enclosure for Holtenc's Prime_E PCB is my second commercial project. It's a 2-part shell with separate switchplate layer which restores Alice case curves to the Prime_E. There are some things you should know, so let's get talking.

Like many others in the community, after snagging a PCB, I felt that the chiseled Alice nose had to come to Prime_E. After a reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/e19r0m/prime_elise/), Holtenc mentioned he was open to working with designers to make third party cases for Prime_E! I came up with a revised prototype as proof of principle of some of my case designs: (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/eaqr46/elise_a_case_for_prime_e/) and things took off from there. Up to now, I've been coordinating with Holtenc to sell my aluminum case along with his PCBs as a bundled kit.

Three design goals I wanted to achieve with this project:
- Create a "fitted lid" that slides over and around part of the base, like a shoebox.
- Bring a bottom-mounted switchplate design, as there hasn't been many.
- Make this PCB and case more accessible to the community.

A few key things changed since the Interest Check...
Thanks to all your feedback, I have tried to reasonably accommodate what I could in this group buy. The key things that changed:
- This group buy is UNLIMITED. There is no cap on units sold.
- I am keeping the $250 price point for the full package with aluminum plate + case + PCB. However new options beyond the standard have been added which may make the price slightly higher for you, should you choose them.
- There is a fourth color: I AM GOING TO OFFER SANDBLASTED POLYCARBONATE! The manufacturers couldn't do electrophoretic deposition white ("e-white") and although many people requested blue, there were too many shades to factor in so I skipped it entirely. Polycarb was the third most requested additional option.
- Switchplates will be offered in BOTH 1.5mm brushed aluminum, and polished brass (for $10 extra).
- Because the PCBs bundled with the kits will be soldered (not hotswap), the switchplate will have notches to allow for MX switch top-cover removal (won't work for Kailh due to differences in the rentention clips)
- I will not be selling Prime_E PCBs alone. They will only come as a kit with purchase of a case, but multiple can be purchased.
- Prime_E Rev2 PCBs will come with WHITE indicator lights.
- You can purchase a full case without a PCB or switchplate.
- YOU CAN PURCHASE A PARTIAL CASE, either top or bottom shell, but only if you purchase at least a full top+bottom case
- You CAN gasket the switchplate using silicone o-rings, though it's a bit hacky. It does work.
- The dark gray case, is likely to be not quite as black as Pantone 419 (Black Gray). This is due to the variances in anodization and lack of exact coloring method by my manufacturers. It will be in the general ballpark, but it is not designed to be fully black.

Update 2/14/2019:
- I'm going live with the Group Buy tomorrow. The Coronavirus really messed up the proto pipeline so I won't be getting the color protos until who knows when. Even my USA protos won't be coming due to severe manufacturer shortages. Really apologize for the trouble.

235029-6

Design Features
- T6 solid block aluminum CNC-machined enclosure, one CNC milled polycarbonate option
- Universal design, accommodates both Rev1 (blocky) and Rev2 (angled) Prime_E PCBs
- 6-degree typing angle
- Case corners are variable tangent corners (squircles) rather than the conventional fixed tangent filet edges. A subtle, but softer profile.
- Switchplate is BOTTOM MOUNTED. This allows a gap accommodating up to 2mm plates or alternatively insertion of gaskets between the plate and the bottom case.
- Case follows the contours of the Prime_E key layout, which it itself fashioned after the semi-angled Alice layout.
- Three aluminum color options, bead-blasted and anodized: Dark Gray (approximate to Pantone 419 Black gray, possibly slightly lighter due to anodizing methods), Clear Coat (Natural Aluminum), and Rose Gold (approximate to Pantone 2437C)
- 1 polycarbonate option! Sand-blasted clear polycarbonate shell.
- M3 screws. You will need a 2.0mm hex screwdriver.
- Recessed depression on bottom of case for rubber bumpers, rubber bumpers will be included.

- Switchplate DXF will be provided at completion of group buy.
- "elise" logo and my studio emblem milled into the bottom of case.
- Prime_E PCB designed and manufactured by u/holtenc. Prime_E supports QMK. 

Group Buy Details
GB Starts: February 15, 2020 @ 9pm CST (GMT-6)
GB Ends: March 21, 2020 @ 9pm CST (GMT-6). An additional week was given due to anticipated delays caused by the coronavirus outbreak in Asia.
Est. shipping: Q3 2020 (Aug-Sept). Disclaimer: shipping date subject to change.

Group buy items are non-refundable. Cancellations not accepted.

At closing of Group Buy, bulk order will be sent to manufacturer.
Order will be shipped to me for inspection/QC. Depending on quality inspection, this may be a source of delay in shipment.
Shipment to purchasers will be issued once QC is completed.

Pricing and Shipping

Please note that shipping will be an extra charge.

235031-7

Options offered for sale:
- Full Case Only ($200 USD, no PCB or plate), same price for all styles/colors.
- Half Case, Top or bottom shell ($100 USD, add-on item only; requires purchase of a full case), no limit to shell halves purchased
- Prime_E Rev2 PCB ($30 USD). Requires purchase of full case. Will not be sold alone due to special group buy pricing. Additional PCBs can be purchased.
- 1.5mm Switchplates: Brushed T5 Aluminum ($20 USD), Polished UNCOATED Brass ($30 USD)

Shipping Costs:
NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: DUTY FEES MAY LIKELY APPLY

USA
  $12 for CONUS  UPS Ground ($25 for 2nd day air)
    There is tax only in Texas.
  $30 for Alaska and Hawaii UPS 'Ground' ($50 for 2nd day air)

Canada
  $30 - USPS/Canada Post Standard

Mexico
  $35 - USPS First Class International

Europe
  $45 - USPS First Class International

Asia
  $45 - USPS First Class International

Credit:
- Keycaps from Haxoroo's Thingiverse models. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2398873) I had to fashion my own 2.25u keycap as it wasn't available so yes they're janky. I hope at least it gets the idea across!

Status Updates

5/10/2020
Thanks to all who participated in the keyboard group buy. It is now closed. I am opening up pre-orders for the wooden wrist rests, see the top of this entry.

Case orders have been sent to the manufacturers and are currently in process of milling.
I have the aluminum plates in. I'm waiting for word from my brass plate cutter, but it seems they're backed up from the COVID lockdown and are slow to respond.

10/22/2020
Sorry I haven't been updating this page as much as discord.
The correct wrist rests were received. I am checking them over for issues and will be dispatching them hopefully starting this weekend. Based on whatever is remaining, I will determine what extras I will have and what B-stock will be available for both cases and wrist rests.

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2020, 17:25:24 by mujimanic »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Prime_Elise (angled case for Prime_E) Starts Feb 15, 2020
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 10:38:01 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 11:04:47 »
If anyone is looking to trade halves with me, I'm looking to go black and white or black and polycarb. I have no preference of top or bottom

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 14:19:57 »
Exciting, looking forward to this one!

Offline steelykeeb

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 17:59:50 »
hey can i use any pcb or do i have to get this one

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 19:59:17 »
hey can i use any pcb or do i have to get this one

If you already have a Prime_E PCB, you can use the one you have. The blocky PCB is Rev1, this will be an angled Rev2 PCB. The Elise case accepts both PCB designs.

Offline Muammar

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 04:26:20 »
Why are shipping fees so expensive? (ASIA)

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 07:41:46 »

I'm still waiting on a DHL quoteback regarding conventional international shipping, but for a 2.5 lb keyboard these were the cheapest options I could find when looking at available options.

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 07:56:19 »

Updated.

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 15:10:52 »
Tomorrow!

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 15:35:48 »
Super excited for this one! Think i'm gonna go full PC.

Offline Sparsic

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:50:37 »
Is it possible to get just the plate and full case for a handwire build?

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 14:02:21 »
Is it possible to get just the plate and full case for a handwire build?

Yes, it is possible. You don't have to purhase a PCB

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 21:02:46 »
And the group buy is currently live!

Offline achan7942

Re: [GB] Prime_Elise (angled case for Prime_E) GROUP BUY IS LIVE UNTIL MAR 21
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 21:18:54 »
Wont let me purchase? Says I can't buy additional PCB or half plates until I buy a full case. But I only have the full case in my cart.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 22:03:59 »
Wont let me purchase? Says I can't buy additional PCB or half plates until I buy a full case. But I only have the full case in my cart.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

yeah, system got screwed up. I fixed it. Sorry about that.

Offline shortcourt

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 10:47:41 »
are there any sound tests for this board yet?

Offline kaisn

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 12:18:58 »
from where will this ship?

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 15:49:21 »

Working on it

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 15:53:01 »

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 17:51:37 »
Are there additional colour samples? The rose gold looks more orange than rose gold :(

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 17:57:33 »
Are there additional colour samples? The rose gold looks more orange than rose gold :(

That proto is not a color sample. It was the wrong color made. There is currently no actual color sample yet due to manufacturing delays by the coronavirus.

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 17:58:31 »

Can you link me where you are seeing pictures of the orange proto? Prob best I go to the source and clarify.

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 18:24:54 »

Can you link me where you are seeing pictures of the orange proto? Prob best I go to the source and clarify.
On the sneakbox site, actually. Then again, I understand how mobile phones can display colours inaccurately :/

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 18:45:18 »
Anyone got any pictures of any keyboard with the colorway RAL 7021? I'm trying to picture the elise with it

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 18:49:07 »

On the sneakbox site, actually. Then again, I understand how mobile phones can display colours inaccurately :/

Rose gold is an interesting beast. Actual "rose gold" in jewelry is gold alloy (yellow) with higher amounts of copper, typically 18 karat gold and somewhere between 20-25% copper (as opposed to "red gold" or "pink gold"). Depending on the amount of copper added, the gold alloy can be more orange/yellow or more red. In comparison, "rose gold" coloring used with aluminum anodization is a color dye on an otherwise silver/gray aluminum alloy such as with Apple products. Their "rose gold" is more on the pink side with far less yellow. The difference is that in actual jewelry there tends to be more yellow associated owing to the presence of more gold causing a yellow hue.

In my renders I color-matched to Tiffany's rose gold alloy color, which can be on the more yellow side of the spectrum. I also have a prototype which ended up being copper color due to a color mistake during manufacturing-- this is *not* any type of rose gold color sample.

All said and done, my manufacturer has been given the color from my render pictures and they are going to approximate it, so it may be pinker than my renders (I will allow that), but will not be any more yellow (I will not allow that). See picture below.

From all this you can imagine that because there is no set formula for "rose gold", even colors can vary between production runs of dyed metal. In my case there will only be one run of rose gold. It also goes to show you how much control Apple has to exert over their product quality control to keep multiple batches the same color over many years!

235897-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2020, 18:51:21 by mujimanic »

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 16 February 2020, 19:35:13 »

Rose gold is an interesting beast. Actual "rose gold" in jewelry is gold alloy (yellow) with higher amounts of copper, typically 18 karat gold and somewhere between 20-25% copper (as opposed to "red gold" or "pink gold"). Depending on the amount of copper added, the gold alloy can be more orange/yellow or more red. In comparison, "rose gold" coloring used with aluminum anodization is a color dye on an otherwise silver/gray aluminum alloy such as with Apple products. Their "rose gold" is more on the pink side with far less yellow. The difference is that in actual jewelry there tends to be more yellow associated owing to the presence of more gold causing a yellow hue.

In my renders I color-matched to Tiffany's rose gold alloy color, which can be on the more yellow side of the spectrum. I also have a prototype which ended up being copper color due to a color mistake during manufacturing-- this is *not* any type of rose gold color sample.

All said and done, my manufacturer has been given the color from my render pictures and they are going to approximate it, so it may be pinker than my renders (I will allow that), but will not be any more yellow (I will not allow that). See picture below.

From all this you can imagine that because there is no set formula for "rose gold", even colors can vary between production runs of dyed metal. In my case there will only be one run of rose gold. It also goes to show you how much control Apple has to exert over their product quality control to keep multiple batches the same color over many years!

(Attachment Link)
Thank you for the info! It's good to know that everything is being done to your best effort

This calls for a colour sample more than ever though - and I'll be looking forward to that :)

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 21:58:23 »

Sound test is up!

Offline shortcourt

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 18:01:37 »
Would the top removal notches add any wobble? Or would they sound and feel exactly like a standard, non-notched plate?

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 18:03:22 »
Would the top removal notches add any wobble? Or would they sound and feel exactly like a standard, non-notched plate?

I would imagine it sounds very similar. Only one way to find out. I'll cut each and report back next week.

Offline HorrorStorm

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 19:13:36 »
Will the uncoated brass tarnish over time?

GLWS

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 19:55:26 »
Will the uncoated brass tarnish over time?

GLWS

Thanks!

Yes the brass will dull and tarnish eventually as it is uncoated. If you wanted to keep the shine you could apply brass lacquer spray. Otherwise repolishing the plate is another option (hard to do if it's soldered in).

Offline mujimanic

It's the final week. Prototype pictures are here:
https://imgur.com/a/6AyIy12

Offline KingOfMemes

It's the final week. Prototype pictures are here:
https://imgur.com/a/6AyIy12
That green is fire

Offline mujimanic

Re: [GB] Prime_Elise KB GB ended. Wrist Rest GB Live until 5/17/2020
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 07:52:35 »
Last stage of group buy. Wrist rests are available for sale to all. Pre-orders up for a week!

Updated bottom of original post to include project status.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 May 2020, 07:57:14 by mujimanic »

Offline mujimanic

Update:

All keyboards, PCBs are in. I am in process of dispatching whatever orders I can complete. Wrist rests are still in route to me, likely to arrive next month. We are ahead of schedule!

Offline eczactly

Re: [GB] Prime_Elise GB Ended, Shipping Keyboards, Pending Wrist Rest Arrival.
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:22:44 »
Any chance for extras?

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 20:31:38 »
Any chance for extras?

Yes, maybe 10 in each color or less. I found there were a few mismatch colored gray top and bottoms so there will also be b-stock for black-gray.

Offline eczactly

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 14:38:08 »
Any chance for extras?

Yes, maybe 10 in each color or less. I found there were a few mismatch colored gray top and bottoms so there will also be b-stock for black-gray.

gotcha! thank you!

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 15:02:56 »
Any update for the orders with wrist rests attached?

Offline helborne

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 15:08:23 »
According to Muji in discord, the wrist rests arrived today, and he would "probably start boxing orders this weekend"

Offline mujimanic

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 22:42:10 »
According to Muji in discord, the wrist rests arrived today, and he would "probably start boxing orders this weekend"

Yup.

Offline MattyRice

Re: [GB] Prime_Elise GB Ended, Wrist rests received. checking and shipping
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 19:01:25 »
Absolutely cannot wait to grab an extra if there is! So bummed i missed this

Offline mujimanic

Re: [GB] Prime_Elise GB Ended, Wrist rests received. checking and shipping
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 23:30:31 »
Absolutely cannot wait to grab an extra if there is! So bummed i missed this

Spread the word, or not! Sunday Dec 13, 4pm CST. That's in 2 days from now. :0

Offline mujimanic

Re: [GB] Prime_Elise GB Ended, EXTRAS NOW ON SALE