Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1423144 times)

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #5700 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 12:12:10 »
Opened up my case and connected the HDD light correctly so now it's working on the case. Left my phone in there as I was closing it up.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #5701 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 16:20:55 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:33:09 by billnye »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5702 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:32:18 »
Home repairs.

In the past 24 hours, my son and I un-installed our dishwasher and wall oven/microwave unit (weighing at least as much as I do), went to another house and un-installed similar appliances, brought them back to our house, and re-installed them in our kitchen. There was considerable sweat and cursing involved, and my back hurts.

They were in perfect condition, very lightly used, 5 years old, pretty stainless steel, and we got them for 13.5% of their new selling price.

Luckily, Home Depot is 1/2 mile from our house, because 4 trips were involved for various reasons.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dwk396

• asdf1234
« Reply #5703 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:40:19 »
My parent are coming to town next week.
So I am trying to get rid of all the trace of my dirty secrets of my life in my apartment. lol

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5704 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:40:24 »
Picked up a $20 desktop from our local used **** store. Putting FreeBSD on it now.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5705 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 17:46:34 »
Had a great time at Ole Miss this weekend and got to go to my first SEC football game! Hotty toddy
Show Image

3cute5me
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5706 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:56:23 »
Currently installing win 7 on a spare drive because SolidWorks Student version 2015-2016 SP 2.1/1 will not install on Win 10
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #5707 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 10:24:43 »
Currently installing win 7 on a spare drive because SolidWorks Student version 2015-2016 SP 2.1/1 will not install on Win 10

I kind of prefer 7 anyways.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #5708 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:47:18 »
Picked up my homework that I accidentally left in my professors office. Luckily it wasn't too time consuming so I was able to finish it by the time class started. Seemed peeved that I asked him to explain it minutes before class started though

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5709 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:59:38 »
Had a great time at Ole Miss this weekend and got to go to my first SEC football game! Hotty toddy
Show Image

Oooh, I didn't realize your sis went to Old Miss.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5710 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:02:48 »
Show Image

Oooh, I didn't realize your sis went to Old Miss.

rekt  :blank:

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5711 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:55:31 »
Started a batch of chili for dinner tomorrow.

115070-0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5712 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:05:01 »
Emptied my recycle bin.

Perhaps I should empty it more often.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #5713 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:31:00 »
Packed up the Uhaul! Moving from Denver to Lake Tahoe tomorrow! 16 hour drive, here I come.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5714 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:49:15 »
Got started on repairing my jeans (Nudie - TLJ), grabbed a doubleshot long black from my coffee place and scanned the interwebz.

Days off are nice.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #5715 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 03:32:37 »
Got started on repairing my jeans (Nudie - TLJ), grabbed a doubleshot long black from my coffee place and scanned the interwebz.

Days off are nice.

How do you find nudie jeans? I was thinking about getting myself a pair... Also are they wearable during summer or are they too hot?

PS your username is fantastic.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5716 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:03:45 »

Days off are nice.

How do you find nudie jeans? I was thinking about getting myself a pair... Also are they wearable during summer or are they too hot?

Haha, cheers dude. Yeah to be honest, if you're going down the raw denim route Nudie have probably some of the thinnest material in a raw denim, you can definitely wear them in the Summer but depends what you'll be doing. I know QLD gets hot af, if you aren't going raw then the material is softer and pre-washed so more comfortable in the Summer.

All said, jeans aren't go to clothes in Summer anyway. FYI, Nudie have a tendency for crotch blow outs because they have a thinner denim compared to other jean brands, but I think their cuts are some of the best.

Offline Bomble

« Reply #5717 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 04:24:33 »

Days off are nice.

Haha, cheers dude. Yeah to be honest, if you're going down the raw denim route Nudie have probably some of the thinnest material in a raw denim, you can definitely wear them in the Summer but depends what you'll be doing. I know QLD gets hot af, if you aren't going raw then the material is softer and pre-washed so more comfortable in the Summer.

All said, jeans aren't go to clothes in Summer anyway. FYI, Nudie have a tendency for crotch blow outs because they have a thinner denim compared to other jean brands, but I think their cuts are some of the best.

Okay sweet, obviously I'm not going for jeans all the time, but on some cooler days my shorts are too cold and the jeans I have at the moment are too thick to manage. I definitely love the cuts too, I went and tried some on because I have a store 5 minutes from my house, and I really really liked the fit.

With the crotch blowouts, are they that bad, like should I be concerned to the point of bringing a spare pair of shorts/pants if I'm going to uni for a whole day?

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5718 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 05:35:49 »

Days off are nice.

Okay sweet, obviously I'm not going for jeans all the time, but on some cooler days my shorts are too cold and the jeans I have at the moment are too thick to manage. I definitely love the cuts too, I went and tried some on because I have a store 5 minutes from my house, and I really really liked the fit.

With the crotch blowouts, are they that bad, like should I be concerned to the point of bringing a spare pair of shorts/pants if I'm going to uni for a whole day?

Ha nah man, I'm talking like after a good year of wear every day

Offline Bomble

« Reply #5719 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 05:57:46 »
More

Days off are nice.

Ha nah man, I'm talking like after a good year of wear every day

Ah good, that's very comforting to hear :P

Thanks for your help!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5720 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:49:01 »

Days off are nice.

I had to read this twice to figure out why you were buying keycaps from a coffee shop.  :))

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5721 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:57:51 »

Days off are nice.

I had to read this twice to figure out why you were buying keycaps from a coffee shop.  :))

I thought the exact same thing when I read it

I've never tried to repair jeans before - sounds difficult

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5722 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:22:38 »

Days off are nice.

I've had a pair for almost a year now. How do you recommend cleaning them? 
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5723 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:28:50 »

When I think it's time, usually once every 1-3 months , I fill my tub with room temp water. Put some laundry detergent in there. I like Woolite black. Then submerge my jeans inside out in the water. Wait 15 mins. Air dry. But I had to wash after a concert I went to last Friday. And I had just got this new pair of 501STF like a week or two ago.

But on my 501STF, the labels all say it's perfectly fine to just toss it in the washer and dryer.

I don't really get never washing your raw denim. Ew.

Not a valid vimeo URL
jwaz sent this to me.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5724 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:07:50 »
**** me I'm bored, this is the last week at my old job and the MD decided not to bother getting anyone to replace me (I handle all payrol, I am the sole person in charge of paying ~150 people at this company) so he has very expensive agency people in who are, not great.
The last few weeks they have been 'shadowing me' trying to learn and get a grasp of it all (I should not at this point that the one day I was off 'sick' last week, they managed to pay everyone twice after being told not too).
This week they are doing everything and I am supervising, here to help in any problems or queries that may arise. This essentially amounts to me sitting behind either one of these two or three people saying 'yes' 'no' as a glance up from my phone or away from my monitor.
They are slow and I have no other work to do.

**** ME IM BORED

also billnye I really thought you were an old bloke, not some 15yr old... mind blown

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5725 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 11:10:10 »
**** me I'm bored, this is the last week at my old job and the MD decided not to bother getting anyone to replace me (I handle all payrol, I am the sole person in charge of paying ~150 people at this company) so he has very expensive agency people in who are, not great.
The last few weeks they have been 'shadowing me' trying to learn and get a grasp of it all (I should not at this point that the one day I was off 'sick' last week, they managed to pay everyone twice after being told not too).
This week they are doing everything and I am supervising, here to help in any problems or queries that may arise. This essentially amounts to me sitting behind either one of these two or three people saying 'yes' 'no' as a glance up from my phone or away from my monitor.
They are slow and I have no other work to do.

**** ME IM BORED

also billnye I really thought you were an old bloke, not some 15yr old... mind blown

I was pretty surprised when I found out it wasn't Bill Nye either

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5726 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 15:16:18 »

Days off are nice.

Haha yeah dude, figured that might confuse some.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5727 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 15:24:42 »

Days off are nice.

I went about 9 months before first wash, after the first wash I tend to do more frequent washes say once every 3 months. If you wash them in really hot water you will get more of an initial contrast and lose more indigo dye, or if you're looking to retain a lot of the colour and get deeper fades you can do a cold soak in a shallow bath with some clothes detergent (I'm not super fussed on what to use but CPT mentioned Woolite, I've heard it's good but it's not available in my country) for about an hour, then rinse carefully trying not to squeeze and disturb the dye because this can ruin your fades, hang inside out to dry and make sure you pull the inseams so they don't shrink!

I also use a denim fresh spray that I picked up in Amsterdam, by the way if they get smelly you can do two things. You can put them in a plastic bag and in the freezer overnight or just hang then inside out to air outside, a combo of the two works best  :thumb:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5728 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 15:28:10 »
If you wash them in really hot water you will get more of an initial contrast and lose more indigo dye, or if you're looking to retain a lot of the colour and get deeper fades you can do a cold soak in a shallow bath with some clothes detergent (I'm not super fussed on what to use but CPT mentioned Woolite, I've heard it's good but it's not available in my country) for about an hour, then rinse carefully trying not to squeeze and disturb the dye because this can ruin your fades, hang inside out to dry and make sure you pull the inseams so they don't shrink!

I generally do this but I'm not too careful or anything. I like fades and everything but they're still jeans. I think as is, I'm a bit crazy to soak em instead of tossing em in the machine. But I don't want them to shrink or anything once I get the fit right.

I'd also like to say I'm far from a denim-head or anything. I just like the fit I get from the 501STF.

And yeah, it doesn't really matter what detergent. I just use Woolite because I have a lot of black clothes too.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5729 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 15:33:35 »

And yeah, it doesn't really matter what detergent. I just use Woolite because I have a lot of black clothes too.

CPT is super goth.

I don't get the whole Raw Denim thing. I have a hard enough time doing regular laundry! And there is just no way I could not wash my clothes.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5730 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:33:56 »

CPT is super goth.

I don't get the whole Raw Denim thing. I have a hard enough time doing regular laundry! And there is just no way I could not wash my clothes.

Nothing wrong with Super Goth! I need a pair of blacks

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #5731 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:50:26 »
Went to Alhambra, Spain and graduated form Industrial Engineering. Now to work on that resume and get a job. :P
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline crayzieap

« Reply #5732 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:52:19 »
Ordered my 1.8mm white LEDs to install on my Pok3r.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5733 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 18:40:27 »
Went to Alhambra, Spain and graduated form Industrial Engineering. Now to work on that resume and get a job. :P

Congrats!

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #5734 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 20:54:54 »
Studied for my astronomy midterm. Realized that if I just open the book and read it isn't hard.

Offline iri

« Reply #5735 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:13:14 »
Went to Alhambra, Spain and graduated form Industrial Engineering.
I'd rather graduate in Marbella.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5736 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:42:57 »

What are you talking about? Bill is the one on the right.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5737 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:55:19 »

Ah ok because of his username I just assumed it was a guy called William haha my mistake!

« Reply #5738 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:59:43 »
Also, billnye, I really thought you were an old bloke, not some 15 yr old... Mind blown.

Ah, okay. Because of his username, I just assumed it was a guy called William. Haha, my mistake!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5739 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:27:58 »
Bought a new router.  Hopefully this one reaches out to the garage a little better.

115290-0

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #5740 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:34:06 »
Skipped my last two classes because for one attendance is pointless since the material is common sense and I didn't do the paper for the other one and couldn't find my ID to get into the computer lab and do it

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #5741 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:51:01 »
watched this more than once

diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5742 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:32:04 »
I had Ethiopian food for lunch.  I'm not sure it's agreeing with me.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #5743 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 19:52:30 »

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5744 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:02:52 »

Show Image

A little while later:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5745 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:39:49 »

Show Image

This was me today...  :|

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #5746 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:53:34 »

Days off are nice.

I was wondering the same thing too!  :D

Didn't get as much work done today due to the stress.  Had to let another employee go, but they deserved it.  Want to play on your phone and not do your work?  Want to lie to me and say you're almost done when I can see you on camera?  Not flying with me anymore.  Go do that for someone else.

Came to geekhack to calm down and be among civilized and intelligent people.  :thumb:

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5747 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:56:35 »

Days off are nice.

I was wondering the same thing too!  :D

Didn't get as much work done today due to the stress.  Had to let another employee go, but they deserved it.  Want to play on your phone and not do your work?  Want to lie to me and say you're almost done when I can see you on camera?  Not flying with me anymore.  Go do that for someone else.

Came to geekhack to calm down and be among civilized and intelligent people.  :thumb:

:eek:  Remind me to not work for you.  :))

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #5748 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:03:24 »

Show Image

This was me today...  :|

Oh nooo! They better not make you pay for the dress ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5749 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:11:34 »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might be a little disappointed. :P