Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1423339 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #5750 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:14:46 »
I had Ethiopian food for lunch.  I'm not sure it's agreeing with me.

Show Image

This was me today...  :|

Oh nooo! They better not make you pay for the dress ;)

Hehehe thankfully no!  :))

Came to geekhack to calm down and be among civilized and intelligent people.  :thumb:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might be a little disappointed. :P

lol  :rolleyes:

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #5751 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:03:18 »

Came to geekhack to calm down and be among civilized and intelligent people.  :thumb:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you might be a little disappointed. :P

haha!  Always intelligent banter and conversations here.  :cool:  Among everything else, lol.  ;D

Got started on repairing my jeans (Nudie - TLJ), grabbed a doubleshot long black from my coffee place and scanned the interwebz.

Days off are nice.

I had to read this twice to figure out why you were buying keycaps from a coffee shop.  :))
I was wondering the same thing too!  :D

Didn't get as much work done today due to the stress.  Had to let another employee go, but they deserved it.  Want to play on your phone and not do your work?  Want to lie to me and say you're almost done when I can see you on camera?  Not flying with me anymore.  Go do that for someone else.

:eek:  Remind me to not work for you.  :))
lol!  I think most of the new generation can't work anymore.  :(  It's sad really.  My uncle was just talking to my dad about the same thing tonight and the two businesses are in two different industries.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5752 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:05:57 »
Got started on repairing my jeans (Nudie - TLJ), grabbed a doubleshot long black from my coffee place and scanned the interwebz.

Days off are nice.

I had to read this twice to figure out why you were buying keycaps from a coffee shop.  :))

Didn't get as much work done today due to the stress.  Had to let another employee go, but they deserved it.  Want to play on your phone and not do your work?  Want to lie to me and say you're almost done when I can see you on camera?  Not flying with me anymore.  Go do that for someone else.

lol!  I think most of the new generation can't work anymore.  :(  It's sad really.  My uncle was just talking to my dad about the same thing tonight and the two businesses are in two different industries.

It's an interesting phenomenon, that's for sure.  I think most of us could use a kick in the pants every now and again.  ;)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5753 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:11:22 »
@SamirD what gets me is I'm usually at work at least 2 hours before I can call any vendors, suppliers or contractors because they don't open early.

And don't get me started on the general lack of urgency with the above mentioned parties.

On topic, I'm packing a keyboard hobby starter box for an international keyboard hobbyist.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5754 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:26:46 »
@SamirD what gets me is I'm usually at work at least 2 hours before I can call any vendors, suppliers or contractors because they don't open early.

And don't get me started on the general lack of urgency with the above mentioned parties.

On topic, I'm packing a keyboard hobby starter box for an international keyboard hobbyist.
Some industries are like that, but the slothiness, well, isn't that even a sin in the Bible?  lol!

That starter kit sounds interesting, what's in it?

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5755 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 23:28:56 »

Days off are nice.

It's an interesting phenomenon, that's for sure.  I think most of us could use a kick in the pants every now and again.  ;)
And it's such a pain to be a business owner had depends on people instead of machines.  If I could throw out everyone and replace them with robots at $10k each, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

But it's really hurting the country overall too.  People will slave over lesser jobs in the third world, so that's where the jobs are all going.  And for the jobs that can't be exported, the people get imported.  :eek:  My wife's company does that all the time.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5756 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:44:27 »
Had a meeting with my boss today.  Found out I am getting a raise.  A substantial one!!!  Thats exciting... :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5757 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 17:45:54 »
Had a meeting with my boss today.  Found out I am getting a raise.  A substantial one!!!  Thats exciting... :)

Congratulations swill! :)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5758 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:15:19 »
Got some backlogged work taken care of.  About to start writing a batch file that should cut a 20m task down to about 2m.  It should be worth the hours invested.  (I'm not a programmer.)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #5759 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:19:44 »

Thanks!  :)  I was the first employee at this company.  I have never been one who cares about title, so I have been our Lead Developer since the beginning. My boss basically said "just because you don't care about a title doesn't mean I can't pay you like you have one". Which is pretty awesome...  :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #5760 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:41:36 »

Got some backlogged work taken care of.  About to start writing a batch file that should cut a 20m task down to about 2m.  It should be worth the hours invested.  (I'm not a programmer.)

Ahh, batch files. I've also had my head buried in them for a couple of months. We have very large filesets on deployed computers and thumb drives. Don't want to delete all of it then recopy 100+ gigs 50 times. So I write these batch files to automate deleting/renaming/moving some of the files. Every time we make a new version of the fileset.  Lol.

I always say they are the product of motivated lazy geeks...spend an hour now to save a day later.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5761 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:42:40 »

Thanks!  :)  I was the first employee at this company.  I have never been one who cares about title, so I have been our Lead Developer since the beginning. My boss basically said "just because you don't care about a title doesn't mean I can't pay you like you have one". Which is pretty awesome...  :)

Ah man that's encouraging to hear I'm sure. Always nice to know you're valued (and even nicer when it comes with dollaz!).
I'm back.

Offline iri

« Reply #5762 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 18:43:52 »
These windows users and their weird names for shell scripts...
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5763 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:09:42 »

Ahh, batch files. I've also had my head buried in them for a couple of months. We have very large filesets on deployed computers and thumb drives. Don't want to delete all of it then recopy 100+ gigs 50 times. So I write these batch files to automate deleting/renaming/moving some of the files. Every time we make a new version of the fileset.  Lol.

I always say they are the product of motivated lazy geeks...spend an hour now to save a day later.
I love batch files.  They're great to automate so much.  I have router reboot batch files (they use wget too), file backup batch files, file copy batch files, time activated batch files, data massaging batch files, and more.

They're great because with a little bit of an understanding of algorithms and computer science, even the layman can make a small program that has huge productivity gains and runs on almost anything windows.

There's even a forum for it:  www.dostips.com

Congrats!  You definitely earned it!  Great to see people who are awesome at their job and humble too.  May your career continue to be as successful as today!  :thumb:
These windows users and their weird names for shell scripts...
No, no, no.  Dos Shell was horrible:))  Yeah, puh-tay-toe, puh-tah-toe, it's all the same deal.  Shell scripts are more programming like so they're tougher for me to make and/or follow.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5764 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 19:39:17 »
Bought a new router.  Hopefully this one reaches out to the garage a little better.

(Attachment Link)
Awesome. I almost bought one when they came out but I went with the Netgear Nighthawk instead because it looked like the router Batman would have.

Have you had a chance to set it up yet? I'd love to hear what you think.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline iri

« Reply #5765 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:06:27 »
Every work day I cycle along the Rose Tyler's house.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5766 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:08:24 »
Nothing.
My last day at work today and I spent the last week handing off my roles/jobs to other people in the office so today I've got nothing to do... bored as ****

Also found out that I seemingly got a lifetime ban from the geekhack irc channel
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 October 2015, 10:12:53 by baldgye »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5767 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 13:25:18 »
Bought a new router.  Hopefully this one reaches out to the garage a little better.

(Attachment Link)
Awesome. I almost bought one when they came out but I went with the Netgear Nighthawk instead because it looked like the router Batman would have.

Have it setup, have not tested range yet.  So far so good though.  Has some nice features.

Data prioritizing by device and by application or game
Per device parental controls
Beam forming
4 external aimable antennas
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5768 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:42:22 »
Nothing.
My last day at work today and I spent the last week handing off my roles/jobs to other people in the office so today I've got nothing to do... bored as ****

Also found out that I seemingly got a lifetime ban from the geekhack irc channel

I keep meaning to go on IRC, but never get round to it =/

I picked my car up from the shop, just had some running gear work done to it, played some games of Dota, went for a few drinks in the pub before work, but then the drive from the centre of town to work (which is pretty much the route I'm going to take from my new house to work) was ****ing horrendous. I'm going to have to pore over maps and try and find a better route, because i'm going to end up crashing if I get as angry as I did this evening.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5769 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 15:43:00 »
Oh and I've had Hotline Bling in my head for the last 36 hours. Just playing over and over again.

Goddamn it clacktalk.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5770 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:54:14 »

Success! Got the things done at work and made it to trunk or treat.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5771 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 18:57:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

Minions?
I'm back.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5772 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 19:02:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Minions?
Yup.

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5773 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:27:35 »
Went and got a lot of things sorted for Dad's funeral, bought a new suit, and picked up these nice shoes for about $280 USD

These past few days have left me feeling really tired, I guess it's all emotional. At least there are good things to look forward too in the near future.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5774 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:30:59 »
Went and got a lot of things sorted for Dad's funeral, bought a new suit, and picked up these nice shoes for about $280 USD

Show Image

These past few days have left me feeling really tired, I guess it's all emotional. At least there are good things to look forward too in the near future.

I've got a pair of those in black. Very nice shoes.

Don't know how I am going to feel when it comes to my own dad's funeral, but I hope you have a good day? Kinda? I don't really know what to say :(

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5775 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:54:31 »

Show Image

Don't know how I am going to feel when it comes to my own dad's funeral, but I hope you have a good day? Kinda? I don't really know what to say :(

Same brand or just this style?

Yeah, well he was a great man, just died too early, he was only 59. He'd been a federal member of Parliament here in Australia, did a lot for Aboriginal land rights. More than I ever saw, I'm 22 now so most of what he did was before my time.

You will just deal with it how you deal with it, don't wish it upon yourself, make sure you make your feelings known though, because your thoughts are your own but your actions can be felt and shared.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5776 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 02:20:53 »

(Attachment Link)

Have it setup, have not tested range yet.  So far so good though.  Has some nice features.

Beam forming

Got a chance to test the wireless.  The router sits probably 4 feet below ground level, and get 2 bars on my phone in the garage.  The garage is detached with aluminum doors as well, so I would say the wireless signal strength is pretty damn good.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #5777 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 07:03:21 »

(Attachment Link)

Beam forming

Got a chance to test the wireless.  The router sits probably 4 feet below ground level, and get 2 bars on my phone in the garage.  The garage is detached with aluminum doors as well, so I would say the wireless signal strength is pretty damn good.
Good to hear. But you should try to get that thing above ground.

I built a shelf in the coat closet, way up high, and installed an electrical outlet in the ceiling so my router is about 8 feet above ground and right smack in the middle of the house. I get 4 bars in the garage now.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #5778 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 12:16:50 »
Pumpkin Carving last night!

(When you have young kids your pumpkins are much less scary!)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5779 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 12:21:45 »
Pumpkin Carving last night!

Show Image

(When you have young kids your pumpkins are much less scary!)

cookie monster is awesome

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #5780 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 12:45:07 »
cookie monster is awesome

Yeah he turned out great, but then my wife did it so of course it came out well :)).

I did the owl but it was not a traditional carving pumpkin, more a decorative gourd, and man doing the shaving was hard. I had to get out my wood carving tools to get the skin off.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5781 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 15:17:32 »

Yeah, well he was a great man, just died too early, he was only 59. He'd been a federal member of Parliament here in Australia, did a lot for Aboriginal land rights. More than I ever saw, I'm 22 now so most of what he did was before my time.

You will just deal with it how you deal with it, don't wish it upon yourself, make sure you make your feelings known though, because your thoughts are your own but your actions can be felt and shared.

Same brand and same style :) They are comfy, and they look great. I've posted mine in the shoe thread actually.

Wow, sounds like a cool dude. Sounds like he did a lot of good with his life, I would love to be in a position where I could do something like that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5782 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 15:24:02 »

Packing some freebies

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5783 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:15:47 »

Same brand and same style :) They are comfy, and they look great. I've posted mine in the shoe thread actually.

Wow, sounds like a cool dude. Sounds like he did a lot of good with his life, I would love to be in a position where I could do something like that.

Curious about the shoes, how long have you had them and how have they held up?

On average how often would you wear them and where have they worn away? I'm just wondering about the lasting quality

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5784 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:41:35 »

That's awful. My father died at 71 and he should have had at least another decade. A medical device hit the US market 6 months later that would have totally prevented what happened to him.

Since his death, I have always unconsciously fixated on 71.5 years as a "benchmark" for age. I make no conscious effort to do it, but, to this day, when I hear something like "dead at 74" the thought that instantly pops into my mind is: "he got 3 years more than Dad" or 92:21, or whatever.

When my best friend died a week after his 57th birthday, it really shook me up and I have still not gotten over it. But in his case, even though his death probably bothered me more than any other, I just think "he is missing *this* since he isn't here any more" but it did not change the 71.5 benchmark.

I wore a brown suit and black shoes to Dad's funeral, it was in the heat of summer. I still have those Johnson & Murphy's and, these days, I wear them a couple of times a year. I bought them about 1986 and have had them re-soled and re-heeled at least twice.

Just a couple of days later, the Olympics started up here in Atlanta, but it was hard to get much enjoyment out of them.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2015, 17:45:05 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5785 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 18:52:36 »

That's awful. My father died at 71 and he should have had at least another decade. A medical device hit the US market 6 months later that would have totally prevented what happened to him.

Since his death, I have always unconsciously fixated on 71.5 years as a "benchmark" for age. I make no conscious effort to do it, but, to this day, when I hear something like "dead at 74" the thought that instantly pops into my mind is: "he got 3 years more than Dad" or 92:21, or whatever.

When my best friend died a week after his 57th birthday, it really shook me up and I have still not gotten over it. But in his case, even though his death probably bothered me more than any other, I just think "he is missing *this* since he isn't here any more" but it did not change the 71.5 benchmark.

I wore a brown suit and black shoes to Dad's funeral, it was in the heat of summer. I still have those Johnson & Murphy's and, these days, I wear them a couple of times a year. I bought them about 1986 and have had them re-soled and re-heeled at least twice.

Just a couple of days later, the Olympics started up here in Atlanta, but it was hard to get much enjoyment out of them.

Loss of a friend is also huge, loss in general I guess. That idea of having a benchmark age makes sense in it's own way to me, his Father died when he was 92 and he had been looking after his Mother who just turned 92 on Monday, three days later she sees her own Son die in front of her. Life is weird.

Having those shoes only re-soled/heeled twice is actually awesome, that's some great wear, a few of my friends would need to get theirs re-soled every year!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5786 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 00:24:46 »
I managed to find a new pair of slacks that actually fits me and has the features I require.

It has taken about 2 years on and off, and my last pair is literally falling apart.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5787 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 07:50:19 »
Having those shoes only re-soled/heeled twice is actually awesome, that's some great wear, a few of my friends would need to get theirs re-soled every year!

When I got the shoes I wore them to work (office job) fairly regularly (but not every day) for a couple of years, and the first repair was probably then.
Since, they are my shiny black "dress shoes" and I only wear them on formal occasions, for a few hours at a time.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5788 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:43:20 »

On average how often would you wear them and where have they worn away? I'm just wondering about the lasting quality

Sorry, I just wanted to wait until I got home and was able to check the shoes and the wear on them.

Here are the pics I posted in the shoe thread -> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39622.msg1835520#msg1835520

I honestly don't wear them that much, I've maybe only worn them half a dozen/ten times, so they haven't worn much. The heel is pretty unmarked, and the soles are a bit pock marked as you can see in the picture, but nothing extreme. I have flat feet so my shoes tend to wear on the inside-rear of the heels, but as I haven't worn them that much you can't really see that yet.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5789 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:41:07 »
Got back from Italy

SO MANY PARCELS

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #5790 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:14:00 »

Sorry, I just wanted to wait until I got home and was able to check the shoes and the wear on them.

Here are the pics I posted in the shoe thread -> https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39622.msg1835520#msg1835520

I honestly don't wear them that much, I've maybe only worn them half a dozen/ten times, so they haven't worn much. The heel is pretty unmarked, and the soles are a bit pock marked as you can see in the picture, but nothing extreme. I have flat feet so my shoes tend to wear on the inside-rear of the heels, but as I haven't worn them that much you can't really see that yet.

Ahh yeah, I can see the sole wear a bit. These seem to be a thinner brogue style, you may have the buckingham 1880's, mine are Fearnley not of the 1880 range. These might be my first foray into a better quality shoe,  I'll probably get a lot of wear out of them as a work shoe.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #5791 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 20:32:52 »
Watched football while playing poker with 6 other friends, I lost  :( I should of been focusing more on my hands rather than the games.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #5792 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:19:34 »
Threw some comic con stuff up on eBay to pay for some artisans. It's getting to that point.

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5793 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:28:30 »
Threw some comic con stuff up on eBay to pay for some artisans. It's getting to that point.

That's not too bad. Maybe when you start selling organs to keep growing your artisan collection.

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #5794 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 21:50:41 »
Hung out with old friends and family. Found a new church for my family too.
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #5795 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:19:02 »
Tried to do some work but feeling super lazy and would much rather look at Geekhack all day :)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5796 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 22:32:51 »
Picked up at Dell 2748 with 12 ports not working for only $50 that included a 2848 that may just have a password issue.  Still haven't played with the 2848, but put the 2748 into service.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5797 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:17:14 »
Replaced a switch on my NEC keyboard ...

115773-0

115775-1

115777-2

115779-3

115781-4

115783-5

115785-6

115787-7

I still have no idea where I've put the remains of the original switch and the missing keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline osi

« Reply #5798 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:41:34 »
Lubed up the hhkb today-wow what a difference. It's been almost a year since I've done it last

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5799 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:53:24 »
Replaced a switch on my NEC keyboard ...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I still have no idea where I've put the remains of the original switch and the missing keycap.
How do you like that layout with the longer space bar and the alt and ctrl next to each other?  I wonder if it's better than the normal 101 layout as I do feel myself stretching for space sometimes, but not for alt.