Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 1423347 times)

Offline jaffers

Re: What did you do today?
« Reply #6000 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 04:38:10 »
Exams like no other. Engie life is tough

Offline iri

« Reply #6001 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 04:42:32 »
Sanded and re-oiled my kitchen countertops today.

Show Image

gas oven, iri jealous.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6002 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:35:12 »

Show Image

gas oven, iri jealous.
Ya. When we bought this place last year, there was a wall where the peninsula is and everything was original 1940s. I took down the wall and gutted everything back to the studs and rebuilt it. I told my wife "if I am doing all this work, we are putting in gas". We did not have gas on our street, so I brought in a propane tank just for our stove. Love it though...

Offline SploogeFactory

• Vitamin D deficient
« Reply #6003 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 06:57:33 »
Holy ****, spent the whole day in Fallout 4 again, I literally have 90 hours in the game since it came out.
Methylated Spirits, not even once.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #6004 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 09:56:35 »
I let my keyboard try coffee for the first time today.

Although it seemed to enjoy it, I doubt I will let it have more coffee in the future.

Pic of my keyboard enjoying a latte......

(Attachment Link)
Ouch!  Almost did this a few times drinking a protein drink while working.  Never again.  A few close calls and food and drink are now banned from my desk.  Or course, it's handy that the kitchen is right in the next room where I can eat in peace anyways.
Took possession of my new house. Official move-in is set for the weekend of the 20th.
Nice!  Congrats!
A weekend away from keyboard related spending in Bali!

Show Image

Wow, that looks totally awesome.  Will have to visit someday.
i'm just a poor ****
I just read your sig and it's hilarious!  Sounds like you do have some good privacy though.  :thumb:

Show Image

My wife would love to cook in that kitchen.  Lovely layout!
Browsed the classifieds, ate green tea Kit Kats and pretended to work
How are those green tea kit kats?  I see them at the asian store where my wife gets her super-hot chilis, but am not sure if I'd like them.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6005 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 10:33:56 »
How are those green tea kit kats?  I see them at the asian store where my wife gets her super-hot chilis, but am not sure if I'd like them.

They're delicious.  Try them.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #6006 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 15:33:17 »

Yep way better

Imo they should get rid of the original style so they can make green tea kks in greater quantities

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6007 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 16:34:49 »
Spent all morning cleaning the flat. It's all absolutely filthy. Why people don't clean up after themselves, let alone when they move out from somewhere, I will never know. Then we added a final coat of white to the bedroom while the Sky engineer installed my TV :3

We got sofas last Friday too, so it's growing to more than just a shell with lots of holes in a wall :P
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6008 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 16:43:25 »
Went to work, left for a pre-op exam around lunch, went back to work.  Surgery tomorrow though, so that's fun!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6009 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 17:01:37 »
Went to work, left for a pre-op exam around lunch, went back to work.  Surgery tomorrow though, so that's fun!

Hope the surgery goes well!!  :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6010 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 17:02:57 »

Godspeed.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6011 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 18:09:38 »

Thanks, its laparoscopic so it shouldn't be a big deal, but if things work out well I will be able to get off a ton of medication which of course frees up more funds for keyboards and keysets :)
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6012 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 18:11:01 »

Thanks, its laparoscopic so it shouldn't be a big deal, but if things work out well I will be able to get off a ton of medication which of course frees up more funds for keyboards and keysets :)

That's a positive point of view. Again, God be with you.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6013 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 18:13:36 »

Excellent! laparoscopic is good.  :) can still hurt depending, but less than the alternative. (From my limited experience)

Offline iri

« Reply #6014 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:03:30 »

Move to the UK mate, meds are free there and we have a keyboard shop :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
What did you do today?
« Reply #6015 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:15:52 »
Had to tear the heart out of Silvia (my espresso machine).  Gonna take major surgery to get her running again. Of course what better time to upgrade her temperature control to a PID?

I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6016 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:18:34 »

Had to tear the heart out of Silvia (my espresso machine).  Gonna take major surgery to get her running again. Of course what better time to upgrade her temperature control to a PID?

Show Image

What did it have before? Just a PI? Or God forbid a P? I wonder why any designer wouldn't just use a PID from the get-go, especially with a high ticket item like an espresso machine.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #6017 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:39:39 »
I'm going to go to the store to get some dorritos and dank memes in 10 minutes and then study

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #6018 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 19:43:45 »
I'm going to go to the store to get some dorritos and dank memes in 10 minutes and then study

At what store can one purchase dank memes?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6019 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 20:00:18 »

Excellent! laparoscopic is good.  :) can still hurt depending, but less than the alternative. (From my limited experience)

It will be my first surgery, besides getting my wisdom teeth removed almost 15 years ago, so we will see how it goes.  They are saying probably just an overnight stay, but possibly two if they are having issues getting my medication locked in.

Thanks mate!

Move to the UK mate, meds are free there and we have a keyboard shop :p

Well, I just hit my deductible so it should be a rather cheap surgery at around $1000, if things go as planned.  I have a pre-exisiting condition that wouldn't have enabled me to get this surgery done a couple years ago so I'll go ahead and throw a "Thanks Obama!" out there!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6020 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 20:11:13 »

Bengals vs Texans. Yeah sportsball!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6021 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 20:12:59 »
Show Image

D: so jelly. The game isn't as great as I had hoped, I was hoping for more runaway Bengals plays, but there we go.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6022 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:26:51 »

Show Image

Oh man that looks like fun!
I'm back.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6023 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:42:48 »

Show Image

What did it have before? Just a PI? Or God forbid a P? I wonder why any designer wouldn't just use a PID from the get-go, especially with a high ticket item like an espresso machine.

Bro, don't diss Miss Silvia. She is a beast, but you must know how to finesse her to get the god shots. With her old mechanical thermostats (pictured above), you had to wait for HER to be good and ready. When she was heating, you waited until that precious moment when she's done heating up. That's when you hit her with the shot.

Right now she needs a break. She's all over the place.

Soon she will have a nice PID temperament, and she will always be ready at the exact temperature I ask her to be at. I will even be able to communicate with her. I can tell her what I need through a Bluetooth connection and she will talk back to me saying "yes master, I will obey you, would you like steam too?"  Yes, some of the intrigue and the pursuit of the hunt for the perfect temp will be lost. But she will still have the strength of her commercial boiler and group head, and the passion of her high output heating coil. And now she will be [gasp] logical!

I just have to get this pesky rust off her frame first...
I'm back.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6024 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 21:56:58 »
Launched simple sites on swill.io and swillkb.com.  I needed somewhere for people to be able to go to find my projects.  Here is a start anyway...

Offline iri

« Reply #6025 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 05:02:24 »
I just read your sig and it's hilarious!  Sounds like you do have some good privacy though.  :thumb:
it's not my quote.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6026 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 07:57:55 »

Yep way better

Imo they should get rid of the original style so they can make green tea kks in greater quantities
That's enough encouragement for me.  I'll buy them on the next trip to the asian market.  :thumb:

+1

Best of luck with the surgery and quick recovery!
it's not my quote.
I just noticed that today.  :-[  Hilarious anyways.  ;)

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6027 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:00:39 »
Launched simple sites on swill.io and swillkb.com.  I needed somewhere for people to be able to go to find my projects.  Here is a start anyway...
Both look great!  What platform did you use to develop them?  Or was it from scratch?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6028 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 08:04:14 »
Both look great!  What platform did you use to develop them?  Or was it from scratch?
http://gohugo.io. on swillops.com I have a guide for hosting them for free on gh-pages.

Offline iri

« Reply #6029 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:45:02 »
Wait, no swillr.io?!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6030 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 09:51:09 »
Wait, no swillr.io?!

Haha, I am sloppy enough as is.  :P

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6031 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 10:00:26 »
http://gohugo.io. on swillops.com I have a guide for hosting them for free on gh-pages.
Seems like a pretty slick platform.  Thank you for the links!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6032 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 10:02:12 »
Seems like a pretty slick platform.  Thank you for the links!

Ya, its solid.  I have been enjoying it...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6033 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 10:05:10 »
Show Image

D: so jelly. The game isn't as great as I had hoped, I was hoping for more runaway Bengals plays, but there we go.

The defense was a ton of fun to watch but the offensive was sad. We left mid fourth quarter because it was getting cold and we couldn't bear to watch another three and out from Dalton.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6034 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 16:58:50 »
I mayyyyyy have gone in on the Tai Ho Red Alert GB on Mass Drop... I love the set so much and there is no way I would be able to afford the original.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6035 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 17:31:42 »
Went to see that Steve Jobs movie. Was alright.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #6036 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:17:17 »
I mayyyyyy have gone in on the Tai Ho Red Alert GB on Mass Drop... I love the set so much and there is no way I would be able to afford the original.
****ty keysets for ****ty people.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #6037 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:20:03 »
lubed my hhkb last night. can't go back ever to stock. everyone with a hhkb needs to do this stat. go on now.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6038 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:23:46 »
lubed my hhkb last night. can't go back ever to stock. everyone with a hhkb needs to do this stat. go on now.
Does it make that whistling sound now?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #6039 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:26:07 »
Does it make that whistling sound now?

Yesssssssssssssssssss

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #6040 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:28:20 »

Wooooowwwww. Rude.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6041 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 19:56:40 »

Wooooowwwww. Rude.

FWIW I have no complaints about the various Tai Hao sets I have.  I was in on the original GB, and they have consistent legends, no major defects (actually no real defects at all), fit well, and even include the only doubleshot blanks I have ever seen!

I also have a Tai Hao PBT - it feels grainy, as it should, and it also consistent and defect-free.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6042 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:58:00 »
After working ask day, had to rush my daughter to the hospital before the lab closed for the day to get some lab work then go to the pharmacy to get some meds all while trying to avoid the bad weather coming in.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6043 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 06:57:39 »

After working ask day, had to rush my daughter to the hospital before the lab closed for the day to get some lab work then go to the pharmacy to get some meds all while trying to avoid the bad weather coming in.

Hope it all works out okay bro.
I'm back.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6044 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 07:02:24 »

Hope it all works out okay bro.

Thanks! Appreciate the couple people here who are kind and pm and/or check on me on Skype.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6045 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:16:19 »

Show Image

Show Image

Bro, don't diss Miss Silvia. She is a beast, but you must know how to finesse her to get the god shots. With her old mechanical thermostats (pictured above), you had to wait for HER to be good and ready. When she was heating, you waited until that precious moment when she's done heating up. That's when you hit her with the shot.

Right now she needs a break. She's all over the place.

Show Image

Soon she will have a nice PID temperament, and she will always be ready at the exact temperature I ask her to be at. I will even be able to communicate with her. I can tell her what I need through a Bluetooth connection and she will talk back to me saying "yes master, I will obey you, would you like steam too?"  Yes, some of the intrigue and the pursuit of the hunt for the perfect temp will be lost. But she will still have the strength of her commercial boiler and group head, and the passion of her high output heating coil. And now she will be [gasp] logical!

I just have to get this pesky rust off her frame first...
Show Image

I didn't diss her!  :-X  Tell her I'm sorry if I offended her.  :-*  Seems like a great improvement though, glad she'll finally have a clue how to actually control herself.  ;)

Seems like you've been working through a lot of medical related things lately.  Hope all is going well in that regard, and everyone in your house gets/stays healthy.  :thumb:

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6046 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:20:09 »
I had surgery yesterday about 1PM, spent the night in the hospital, and have already been discharged.  My stomach is pretty sore from the incisions but I feel pretty good, and I am going to the doctor in a week to reduce my medication.  Thanks again for the good thoughts guys!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #6047 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:21:47 »
I had surgery yesterday about 1PM, spent the night in the hospital, and have already been discharged.  My stomach is pretty sore from the incisions but I feel pretty good, and I am going to the doctor in a week to reduce my medication.  Thanks again for the good thoughts guys!

Great to hear it went well.  :)  Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Offline iri

« Reply #6048 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:36:44 »
that's lovely m8

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6049 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 12:52:42 »
Great to hear!   :thumb:

Take your time healing and don't rush it.  My mom messed up her knee for life by not waiting for it to heal completely after a car accident a few years back.