Author Topic: Kinesis Model 100 and Cherry MX red switches  (Read 4042 times)

Offline bootstrap

• epiguru.com - My Personal Website
Kinesis Model 100 and Cherry MX red switches
« on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 13:24:50 »
I just received a Kinesis Model 100 - it looks and feels great. Very comfortable. But I think it needs a change of switches to something lighter, like MX reds. I wrote to Kinesis about this and other things, and here's the reply from Erika:

"Unfortunately, this is one of our oldest models so we don't have any parts here to fix or upgrade the memory. I have also found out from my technical support department that the Cherry Red Switches will not work with this keyboard."

I'm not sure whether she means that the replacement keywells with MX red switches (sold by Kinesis) won't fit or that I just cannot have MX red switches on this keyboard for whatever reason. Does anyone here know?
The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Re: Kinesis Model 100 and Cherry MX red switches
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 23:55:12 »
The interior make up of the Model 100 differs from the rest of the line. As a matter of fact, they didn't evolve into what we see in todays models until the Model 130. Models 110 and 120 may be a bit different.

Kinesis models:
100-a very different animal, AT, different case, and black legended doubleshot keys.
110-a somewhat different animal, AT
120-a somewhat different animal, AT
(beginning of "modern" Kinesis Contoured keyboards)
130-AT
Essential-0 memory, ps/2
Classic-1 memory, ps/2
Professional-2 memory, ps/2
Advantage-1 memory, usb converter
Advantage Pro-2 memory, programming lockout switch, usb converter

All memory can be removed/added at any time.

This info was in the Everything Kinesis wiki....dunno if it still is...

BOOTSTRAP:
We need you to open the 100 and take clean, documentary photos of the interior so it can be put in the Kinesis wiki.

If you ever want to sell the 100, look me up.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 01:44:49 »
Thanks for the information about the differences between the Kinesis Contoured keyboard models. I've been wondering which models have interchangeable parts - looks like they are: Essential, Classic, Professional, Advantage, Advantage Pro.

I'll be happy to take photos and contribute to the Kinesis wiki. (Where is it? It might still be in the rebuilding stage...) I'll do that in a couple of weeks because I'm real busy on a project ATM.

@input: I'm enjoying this keyboard but if I ever have to sell it, you'll be the first to know. :)

The Best WordPress Theme Ever | Kinesis Contoured Model 100 | IBM Model F 1387033 "Space Unsaver" | CH Products DT225 Trackball x 2

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 05:55:19 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 September 2012, 06:09:33 by bootstrap »

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 21:01:01 »
The model 130 will interchange with modern boards as well!

(Edited post for clarity and continuity due to Sordnas follow up post)
Right now, I don't specifically remember about the 120 I may have the info in the Kinesis wiki article, but I don't think the 120 is interchangable. Sordna has a keyboard, it's the Kinesis Try and Forward keyboard, it is different internally, it's a #110. So a #110 is not interchangeable with the 'modern' keyboards.

The only other difference between physically connecting the keyboards is that some have the pcb that plugs in the main board verses using a ribbon connector, verses a reversed connection. But this discussion is academic until you have several boards and want to get creative :)  At that point I'll come out of my coma and jump on in!

This may help...for the most part (there are a few exceptions floating around)-
PCB connection:
130, Essential, Classic, Professional
Ribbon connector up to SN#50,000:
Advantage, Advantage Pro
Reversed ribbon connector after SN#50,000: (main board connection is reversed, the key wells are the same)
Advantage, Advantage Pro

In general, if you are going to mod/use several keyboards, I would not use 100, 110, 120 ONLY BECAUSE these 3 models are in short supply and will be difficult to get when you need one quickly when purchasing on ebay or equal.

The wiki is effectively almost worthless at this point, it needs to be rebuilt. sigh
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 09:40:55 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline sordna

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 02:22:20 »
My oldest is a #110 (it's mentioned in my sig) so I have no idea what a #120 looks like internally. The #110 is on the top right in this photo, so you could not get replacement keywells from kinesis since it's so different. My guess is the #100 is in the same boat.
You could however desolder and remove the old switches, and solder new ones if you want reds on your model #100... but it would be a very tedious and tricky process.

Please take some photos of your #100, both external and internal ones, this is a rare keyboard and I've never come across internal photos of it, so it would be valuable to have them around!

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 02:33:42 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 09:47:29 »
Thanks Sordna for clarifying. I've edited my above post to simplify.

I agree, desoldering and swapping switches is a poor use of time, effort, money, and risk in this instance. I would not do it, unless there is another goal. Better to get a different board with key well-swap compatibility for many reasons.

---I want to apologize for some of my lack of info/continuity regarding the Kinesis, I've been in a different world the last 6 months. I need to address the wiki issue and want to open it to involve others to put it back in a readable state with photos----

Offline bootstrap

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 11:02:37 »
I figured as much. If I'm changing over to MX reds, I'll probably just bite on that Fentek deal that sordna pointed out. I already like the feel of the current Kinesis keyboard - it's sooo much more comfortable than previous keyboards I've used. I've got a lot of important work to do this week, so I haven't had the time to start training my fingers to type properly yet.

I'll open up the Model 100 early next week, take photos, write some descriptive text, and of course share what I find here at Geekhack.

Offline Input Nirvana

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 21:57:24 »
......I'll open up the Model 100 early next week, take photos, write some descriptive text, and of course share what I find here at Geekhack.

Of course!!!!!