Author Topic: [IC] Extra Happy - MX HHKB + 2 Macro Columns  (Read 24743 times)

Offline yui_

Re: [IC] Extra Happy - MX HHKB + 2 Macro Columns
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 07:14:45 »
really cool design, one of only 2 customs this year which have actually caught my attention!
i'm somewhere in the middle on the badge - i like it, but i would love if blank/custom badges would be an option. i understand custom badges would add a lot more work so releasing the dimensions/drawings or a cad file of the badge alone would allow for custom ones to be produced outside of the gb.
either way, i'm going to keep a close eye on this.
glwic!

Offline Friendship

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 07:48:33 »
That side profile is art!!! Well done and glwic!
Collection: LZ GHv2, Esheu Fallacy, Moesode Bliss, Daji Ocho Cuatro, Ace Saturn60, Bolsa Midway60, MLI NUM1, MLI VISION, PW ROTR

Offline Nuap

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 24 November 2021, 17:11:13 »
I'm a massive fan of this, the design is really well done and I am a sucker for HHKB layouts. I've been jealous of nice 65s with macro columns so glad it's being done for other layouts.

I like the badge, it's simple and does compliment the theme of the board well. Hopefully there can be some other options for badges or you can release the CAD files so people can have their own made.

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 05:18:23 »
very nice design to my liking. But consider adding 6u spacebar with centered switch too. And maybe add more options for blocker badge, this one looks meh
Lead Keyboard Cringeneer.
Alps and Space Invaders enthusiast.

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 08:22:58 »
look very nice, would you be able to provide a KLE layout compatibility picture? took me a while to realize this is not 7u spacebar since I didn't read the text at all :giggle:

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 08:59:12 »
Thank you for using actual HHKB Layout. I really like the addition of the XT row (that makes me extra Happy)
Is the internal weight position so far down on purpose, or why isn't it centered so every row is covered with the internal weight?
GLWIC!

Offline Kwub

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 09:59:00 »
look very nice, would you be able to provide a KLE layout compatibility picture? took me a while to realize this is not 7u spacebar since I didn't read the text at all :giggle:

I have added a KLE compatibility picture! This is subject to change in the future, I will keep it as up to date as possible.

Also added typing angle to the details section!

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 12:39:20 »
The badge feels very under designed which makes it stick out like a sore thumb against the rest of the board. Will there be an option for a blank badge or some other design?

there's a very stark difference between something being 'under designed' and something being intentionally simplistic to match the theme, this is pretty clearly the latter imo

The massive fillets on the badge right next to the tiny fillets on the top case don't match. The logo is _very_ simple and looks out of place to some of us. The "theme" is unclear (is it supposed to be "simple"?) since the bottom isn't just a wedge and has curves to it but the top is just a rectangle with fillets.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline Gvalch_ca

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 13:22:54 »
The badge feels very under designed which makes it stick out like a sore thumb against the rest of the board. Will there be an option for a blank badge or some other design?

there's a very stark difference between something being 'under designed' and something being intentionally simplistic to match the theme, this is pretty clearly the latter imo

The massive fillets on the badge right next to the tiny fillets on the top case don't match. The logo is _very_ simple and looks out of place to some of us. The "theme" is unclear (is it supposed to be "simple"?) since the bottom isn't just a wedge and has curves to it but the top is just a rectangle with fillets.

I second this. Blocker badge looks kind of ugly and out of place right now. Hope it will be redesigned.
Lead Keyboard Cringeneer.
Alps and Space Invaders enthusiast.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 18:16:05 »
The fillets aren't that massive, I think they match the external ones pretty well, but if you're talking about the internal, its not going to be noticeable once you have caps. And in terms of simple, I think its relatively simple, just a happy face, the curve is a simple curve, no dolphin or more Kustom sides.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 20:04:29 »
The fillets aren't that massive, I think they match the external ones pretty well, but if you're talking about the internal, its not going to be noticeable once you have caps. And in terms of simple, I think its relatively simple, just a happy face, the curve is a simple curve, no dolphin or more Kustom sides.

You seem to have taken over this project from Kwub, the amount you're commenting /s

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Nuap

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 25 November 2021, 23:11:49 »
I just wanted to add that I hope you can have vendors for this. Current international shipping for keyboards is really pricey, having vendors allows those outside of the main country to get the keyboard at a reasonable cost, instead of paying 1/4th of their total order in shipping.

For Australia perhaps reach out to SwitchKeys.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 15:40:50 »
New badge is pretty, where old smile peeposad copege

Offline Kwub

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 15:47:51 »
New update!

Offline growler

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 26 November 2021, 16:32:58 »
OK, that new badge... yeah, that's good. I've been converted.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Don't just stare at it ...

Offline koolkeebs

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 10:30:25 »
I love both badges! Question - will this come with a 6u stabilizer wire?

Offline Kwub

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 10:58:14 »

Sourcing 6u wires in high quantities is something that I have been looking at. If I can find a good lead ahead of GB time, that is something I would love to offer.

Offline elongatedmusk

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 12:17:29 »

Sourcing 6u wires in high quantities is something that I have been looking at. If I can find a good lead ahead of GB time, that is something I would love to offer.

+1 for 6u wire! :thumb:

Offline growler

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 12:34:13 »

Defo do this! I would buy like 30 6u wires if you can get some nice ones.

Offline Michabc

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 13:14:01 »
+1 for a European vendor!

Offline hpkb

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 13:21:20 »
Digging this layout. Side profile is really nice! And 6u is a nice touch as well. Would def be interested

Offline AstralYT

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 13:27:22 »
This is POG. Would have liked smaller side bezels, but that's just me. Great design, 350$ in the current climate would actually be insane. Hope you hit it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Offline Zlane

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 19:47:54 »
Finally putting my 6u spacebar to work GL with the project

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 20:36:51 »
The chances of adding split space bar support... somewhere between zero and nil?

Offline fflux

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 28 November 2021, 22:47:40 »
Hey all, just an update on the badge since it seems (quite expectedly) to be a pretty controversial feature. Like others have mentioned, a huge part of the concept of this board was presenting an homage to the original HHKB. The idea is to take the logo sticker in the corner blocker and bring it to match the lighthearted theme. And personally, I think it adds to the unique character of the board! For those reasons, I intend to keep the badge. Thanks again for your interest and feedback everyone!

based and objectively correct decision

if you manage to get it done at $350, I am definitely interested in joining!

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 01 December 2021, 17:06:36 »
You should 100% KEEP the top badge. Hopefully there's a PC case option, but I'm still joining this GB regardless.

Offline clickpig

• naisu naisu naisu
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 22:25:23 »
Interest checked, wallet prepped.

This looks brill.

Offline drinkmorewater

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 02:40:29 »
Very interested in this!

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 03:21:37 »
I'm so down for this!!!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 07:13:19 »
This design is one of few actual HHKB layouts, plus the macro columns, yet, it is so out of my budget. You may want to offer a round of space bars in common colors and stab wires along with the kit. They are hard to come by.

Offline growler

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 08:04:14 »
This design is one of few actual HHKB layouts, plus the macro columns, yet, it is so out of my budget. You may want to offer a round of space bars in common colors and stab wires along with the kit. They are hard to come by.
That's a fantastic idea. If you have sourced 6u stab wires I'm in for a few, and very possibly would bulk buy as well (PM me!)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 09:01:42 »

Very true, although the spacebars aren't quite as hard to come by, most sets will offer a offset 6u in extras at least. The stab wires on the other hand would be something that could be delivered with the board. Definitely something for the designer to think about!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 12:08:17 »
That's a fantastic idea. If you have sourced 6u stab wires I'm in for a few, and very possibly would bulk buy as well (PM me!)

I have found some 6u Cherry-style stab wires at Aliexpress; but, I have not found any Costars yet. I have not checked what type of stabs this design will take. Personally, I prefer the Costar type and the lack of manufactured stab wires in 6u prevents me to use any layout that needs 6u. Edit (I know that the wires can be DIY, but the precision they need to feel good is not trivial. It seems that this design will take PCB mount Cherry style stabs, based on how the plate's cuts look).
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 January 2022, 12:22:20 by ideus »

Offline kidpid

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 14:45:53 »
Any chance of supporting 2x3u split space?

Offline C10ckwork

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 20:58:08 »
i'm lovin' it :D

Offline Draxion

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 21:27:26 »
I like it

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 27 January 2022, 18:49:12 »
Keep up the great work kwub
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline peacdesign

• Design Studio
    • Peac Design
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 04:33:48 »
Interesting design - adding extra functionality to the HHKB, nice!

Offline kidgoth

• imagine living outside of the US
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 14:17:16 »
coolest xt layout ive seen in a min

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 08:08:09 »
no badge pls, lacks feng shui

Offline growler

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 08:24:27 »
I like the new badge

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 23 March 2023, 12:36:09 »
Bump

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 28 March 2023, 19:41:00 »
Another IC bites the dust

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 23:35:39 »

I have found some 6u Cherry-style stab wires at Aliexpress; but, I have not found any Costars yet. I have not checked what type of stabs this design will take. Personally, I prefer the Costar type and the lack of manufactured stab wires in 6u prevents me to use any layout that needs 6u. Edit (I know that the wires can be DIY, but the precision they need to feel good is not trivial. It seems that this design will take PCB mount Cherry style stabs, based on how the plate's cuts look).
That is exactly right. The plate appears to support Cherry stabs. I prefer Costars as well, and there is no source to get them unless you bend them yourself.

Offline metalchipmaker

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 30 March 2023, 23:38:59 »
Interesting