Author Topic: [GB] DCS Mountaineering  (Read 8935 times)

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
[GB] DCS Mountaineering
« on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 10:57:02 »

IG:https://www.instagram.com/prestonwalzdesignstudio

Discord:https://discord.gg/nWTAbK5sY9

Inspiration

DCS Mountaineering is inspired by the sport of Mountaineering. High altitude adventure is nothing to take lightly, the journey is tough. The goal... Stand on the highest point of the mountain, The Summit. Mountaineering requires preparation, mental toughness, strength and the correct tools.
DCS Mountaineering is take on this inspiration in a keyset

Vendors

US Thockeys
CA Deskhero
EU Mykeyboard
UK Prototypist
CN zFrontier
KR Swagkeys
OCE DailyClack

When

(April 15th - May 15th)
04.15.2022 - 05.15.2022

Estimated Fulfillment Date
Q4 2022

Proposed Kits

Kit pricing (US):

Base Camp (Core Kit) - $129.99 USD
Summit (Alt Kit) - $59.99 USD
Gear Set (Novelties) - $34.99 USD
Relegendables - $19.99 USD
Flag Set (Macro) $19.99 USD
Kingsize (10u Spacebar) - $14.99 USD

International pricing will arrive as we approach closer to GB, please be patient.

More
Rotor by Densus

U80-A by RAMA WORKS

Phoenix WKL by Cable Car Designs

M65-A by RAMA WORKS

Accessories

Deskmats

Pricing:

Deskmat #1 - $20
Deskmat #2 - $20
Deskmat #3 - $20

Cablemod x DCS Mountaineering

Pricing:

Base Camp Cable - $59.99
Summit Cable - $59.99

Samples coming soon. I've been told to expect them to arrive before GB. Once they do arrive, pictures will be posted here, please be patient.

''ICED OUT'' Collection

Keybee x DCS Mountaineering

Pricing (US):

Keybee x DCS Mountaineering PVD Brass Cap 2.25u - $45 USD
Keybee x DCS Mountaineering PVD Brass Cap 1u - $40 USD

J-01 x DCS Mountaineering LE Bundle

More details regarding this specific collaboration piece can be found on the Geekhack GB Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116803.0

RENDERS:
(Renders are Cherry profile not DCS)

TECHNICAL SPECS

• Made in Washington by Signature Plastics LLC
  • DCS profile (1-1-2-3-4-4) w Cherry legends
  • Compatible with MX Style switches
  • ABS plastic
Signature:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113806.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/9PrsLi4.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2022, 21:52:36 by Preston Walz »

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
Re: [GB] DCS Mountaineering
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 April 2022, 10:58:53 »
Reserved.

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 April 2022, 12:02:37 »
UPDATE

DCS Mountaineering is available to purchase now!
Currently live at (list will be updated as more vendors go live):

Thockeys (US): https://thockeys.com/group-buys/live-group-buys/dcs-mountaineering-group-buy/
Prototypist (UK): https://prototypist.net/products/group-buy-dcs-mountaineering

Offline mytommy

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 13:51:47 »
u got better pics of the RELEGENDABLES? the render pics are zoomed out far too much.

And are they the same color as the snowy keycaps?

Offline rookb

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 April 2022, 18:31:43 »
Why does the flag kit have row 5 and why do your renders look like the flag kit is some half assed OEM sculpt. They're literally sitting taller than the caps beside.

Offline feelingcute

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 10:14:28 »
really cool set, I got most of the kits, thanks for running this

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 09:35:04 »
u got better pics of the RELEGENDABLES? the render pics are zoomed out far too much.

And are they the same color as the snowy keycaps?

The Relegendables are the same color as the sets modifier keys and feature a clear top.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 April 2022, 20:13:21 by Preston Walz »

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 09:36:06 »
really cool set, I got most of the kits, thanks for running this

Glad to hear it!

Offline Nuap

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 May 2022, 21:15:02 »
Why does the flag kit have row 5 and why do your renders look like the flag kit is some half assed OEM sculpt. They're literally sitting taller than the caps beside.

@Preston Walz can you answer this question? I see you replied to other comments in this thread. Seems like you selectively choose which comments to consider / reply to (which is similar to your behaviour in the IC).

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 09:00:33 »

Thanks for pointing this out, I don't actually know what happened with this. Must've been a rendering mistake that I didn't catch. The Flag Set kit will feature profiles R1 - R4. For the R5 in there, that's also a mistake.

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 01:18:10 »
Rise to the Climb, DCS Mountaineering needs your help!

After much waiting, I finally have the sale numbers for DCS Mountaineering, overall, everything is selling very low. DCS Mountaineering has been in development for nearly 2 years and is comprised of hours upon hours of hard work and patience. It's a unique set that features two distinct and fresh design languages that haven't yet been seen in keyset design. And.. it's made with the amazing DCS profile manufactured by Signature Plastics. It'd be an absolute bummer to see this set get cancelled :(

I'd like to thank everyone who has supported this project so far, I greatly appreciate all of you! However! I dearly ask, If you're a fan of the Mountaineering theme and want to see the set made, please share the DCS Mountaineering GB with others! Friends, family, and/or other keyboard enthusiasts!

Let's get this set made, I know we can do it!

(Thank you dvorcal for the excellent chart work)

Offline rookb

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 10:55:56 »

Thanks for pointing this out, I don't actually know what happened with this. Must've been a rendering mistake that I didn't catch. The Flag Set kit will feature profiles R1 - R4. For the R5 in there, that's also a mistake.

"DCS Mountaineering has been in development for nearly 2 years and is comprised of hours upon hours of hard work and patience. It's a unique set that features two distinct and fresh design languages that haven't yet been seen in keyset design."

Yeah, okay lol

Offline aa212121

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 16:09:36 »
More

"DCS Mountaineering has been in development for nearly 2 years and is comprised of hours upon hours of hard work and patience. It's a unique set that features two distinct and fresh design languages that haven't yet been seen in keyset design."

Yeah, okay lol
Why u being rude dude.
personally im in for the summit kit. looks nice. flag kit is meh, idk what color board will go with that.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 20:15:01 »
More

Yeah, okay lol
Why u being rude dude.
personally im in for the summit kit. looks nice. flag kit is meh, idk what color board will go with that.

I suppose rookb finds the statement of two years of hard work incredulous when errors exist in the kitting material and renders provided for GB.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 21:32:36 »
I think it's maybe a combination of that and the "distinct and fresh design languages that haven't yet been seen in keyset design" that feels kind of pompous;Hope it makes it to MOQ somehow, if not maybe try reaching out to KBDfans who might have a larger audience reach and differnt MOQ?
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2022, 16:33:22 by SDKCAMPING »
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline washwashtree

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 08:46:46 »
I think it's maybe a combination of that and the "distinct and fresh design languages that haven't yet been seen in keyset design" that feels kind of pompous, since in the end I do not really see a new design language. Something like GMK Symbiote which used translucent GMK caps for an organic, alien-esque theme is a new design language. In the end this is just a new color palette which is honestly still commendable since a lot of sets now are basically variations of existing sets, but mentioning the time it took and framing it as something super innovative doesn't mean much in the world of keycaps unless it truly is ground breaking. Hope it makes it to MOQ somehow, if not maybe try reaching out to KBDfans who might have a larger audience reach and differnt MOQ?

It's a mix of this along with the fact that a ton of reccomendations and suggestions were given to OP and they decided to ignore every negative feedback/suggestion. They kept kicking the IC post to the top of the IC forums by posting every single little change in a new post every other day, sometimes multiple updates in a single day literally a few minutes after the last update. To me that was a major turnoff, when you go view a IC thread and the only person posting in it is the OP. It made the post look like there was little to no interest in the project.

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 May 2022, 12:52:08 »
I think it's maybe a combination of that and the "distinct and fresh design languages that haven't yet been seen in keyset design" that feels kind of pompous, since in the end I do not really see a new design language. Something like GMK Symbiote which used translucent GMK caps for an organic, alien-esque theme is a new design language. In the end this is just a new color palette which is honestly still commendable since a lot of sets now are basically variations of existing sets, but mentioning the time it took and framing it as something super innovative doesn't mean much in the world of keycaps unless it truly is ground breaking. Hope it makes it to MOQ somehow, if not maybe try reaching out to KBDfans who might have a larger audience reach and differnt MOQ?

It's a mix of this along with the fact that a ton of reccomendations and suggestions were given to OP and they decided to ignore every negative feedback/suggestion. They kept kicking the IC post to the top of the IC forums by posting every single little change in a new post every other day, sometimes multiple updates in a single day literally a few minutes after the last update. To me that was a major turnoff, when you go view a IC thread and the only person posting in it is the OP. It made the post look like there was little to no interest in the project.

100% agree with this.

OP kept bumping their IC thread while they had an active GB thread! If I didn't report it and get the post locked they would've kept on doing it for sure. Let's see if we can make an effort to stop bumping this thread, though. :D

Offline bshendy

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 22:31:44 »
gotta be honest, i have no idea what i'm looking at. All I know is that I'm literally contemplating getting ibuprofen for my eyes aching because of the color palette. The red and blue deskmats make no sense. how did this get to group buy

Offline Preston Walz

• Operating since 2020.
    • Discord Server
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 00:36:02 »
DCS Mountaineering Group Buy Canceled.

Unfortunately after reviewing sale numbers, we didn't get close enough to making MOQ. All customer purchases will be refunded from vendors, I expect refunds to start rolling out soon. Please contact the specific vendor you purchased any DCS Mountaineering product from if you have questions and/or concerns regarding your purchase.

I'm sorry about this rather disappointing news, I know many of you were excited for DCS Mountaineering, including me! All the community support and feedback given to improve this project was amazing! I won't be ''scrapping'', the Mountaineering concept...
It's still in the pipeline.

Thank you all so much for all your time and contributions, there's a lot to be excited about coming from the PrestonWalzDesignStudio this year. 👀