Author Topic: strangest device you used internet on?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline PlayBox

strangest device you used internet on?
« on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 16:19:55 »
what is the strangest device you used to browse internet
what were your experiences with it?

writing this from kindle paperwhite gen 10 and i sometimes use older kindle basic
its pain to use internet on kindle but i need my geekhack :)
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline granola bar enthusiast

Re: strangest device you used internet on?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 16:26:15 »
I have used the internet on an 8-year-old iPad before but that's about as weird as it gets. Although, I made my account and mainly use GH on my crappy school ChromeBook. neither are that weird but i would like to see how bizarre things can get
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 June 2022, 12:06:17 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 17:36:39 »
I think that some strange devices shouldn't have had any Internet connection in the first place, and therefore I purposely avoid using them for that as a matter of principle.
I've browsed the web on some unusual computers but I wouldn't call a computer — or a modern tablet — a "strange device".

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 23:59:15 »
A blender. Even weirder browsing on a blender than a fridge. Why does a blender need internet access?

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 01:50:20 »
A blender. Even weirder browsing on a blender than a fridge. Why does a blender need internet access?

Because why not?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 02:09:36 »
Why does a blender need internet access?
To fill in one of the few blanks in google's profile of you?  If you don't blend yourself a smoothie before looking at something online every morning you're less healthy and get more life insurance ads :blank:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 02:23:43 »
To fill in one of the few blanks in google's profile of you?  If you don't blend yourself a smoothie before looking at something online every morning you're less healthy and get more life insurance ads :blank:

Clearly that's the purpose of online objects, collecting more and more data.

Btw, who here still suffers from Internet advertising? It's quite easy to block all of that **** and if it's not possible like Youtube on smartphone or TV, I do not use it :)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 03:56:29 »

Because why not?
I don't want to get my PCs hacked through a security vulnerability in a *****ing appliance, or for my IoT devices to participate in a botnet.

Anything connected to the Internet should run software that is regularly maintained, so that they get software updates.
That means: my PC first and my router. If I have any "connected" appliances in my home, they should be connected to my PC via a private local area network, not go out on a public Internet where they could get hacked within seconds. (And security vulnerabilities in unpatched routers is also a big deal out there...)

Offline sefixmm

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 04:02:55 »
I don't want to get my PCs hacked through a security vulnerability in a *****ing appliance, or for my IoT devices to participate in a botnet.
Anything connected to the Internet should run software that is regularly maintained, so that they get software updates.
That means: my PC first and my router. If I have any "connected" appliances in my home, they should be connected to my PC via a private local area network, not go out on a public Internet where they could get hacked within seconds. (And security vulnerabilities in unpatched routers is also a big deal out there...)

I was ironic, IOT is a security nightmare!

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 04:56:13 »
Dumb terminal :)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 06:40:57 »
It's a coin flip between the Nintendo 3DS and the Xbox 360.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 11:10:37 »

Not that strange but the "how" is funny... A very long time ago, in the late 90s I'd say, I was still on dial-up with a 33.6 K modem and had my PC desktop running Linux (yup, already Linux).  Then while reading Linux "how to's" I read about PLIP...  Parallel Line IP.  My broke arse couldn't afford network gear yet but I had a printer and a parallel cable and I realized I could use the parallel cable to create a network between two computers and then somehow share the Internet connection.  So I had an old, underpowered, laptop running Linux too and I'd browse the Internet from the laptop, running a browser from the desktop (but displayed on the laptop) while my brother was on the desktop PC.

So yeah that's it: an old crappy laptop weighting a metric **** ton, connected to a desktop PC using a parallel cable to create a network: that's the strangest thing I ever used to browse the net.

Another fun thing: around that same time I'd simulate a LAN over Internet to play Warcraft II (yup, II, not III) with strangers from around the world.  Warcraft II didn't have an option to play over the Internet but there was an option to play over a LAN.  So we'd simulate a LAN using something called "KALI".

Amazing times.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 10:42:02 »
what were your experiences with it?

writing this from kindle paperwhite gen 10 and i sometimes use older kindle basic
its pain to use internet on kindle but i need my geekhack :)

I browsed the internet on the DS