Author Topic: On issues with importation/availability  (Read 2466 times)

Offline sethstorm

On issues with importation/availability
« on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 07:20:57 »
Based on a previous discussion:
http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=151739&postcount=50

While it's fine and all to go to that importer, fly to Akihabara/etc., pay incredible shipping/export charges, or however else- there seems to be a great divide in availability. Anything that isn't a Model M, Cherry G80/G81, Alps or some other sort of "old" keyboard is usually importer-only item(e.g. Filco's, Fujitsu Libertouch, etc.).  What I'm concerned about is an increasing amount of new keyboards made that are following the "importer required" path (unless you don't mind tons of rubber domes).

While one can chalk it up to demand, I'm not really a fan of the various stuff done by some manufacturers to seemingly limit to a region/market on purpose (read: my understanding of Cherry Red switches as an example).  The only thing it seems to do is make for more middlemen in the transaction.

I can live with double-row enter (as I do with my Terminal Model F) and I know region/language specific boards have good reason to limit.  I'd not mind if the middleman could otherwise be cut for some of the good boards out there.

Note:When I'm talking about rubber domes, I'm not talking about Topres, or any actual "good" rubber domes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2010, 07:26:34 by sethstorm »
Current:
IBM: Model M: 1391401, 1386887 Terminal 122 Key 
IBM: Model F: 6110668 Terminal 122 key with Trackpoint and M13 blacks
IBM: Specialty: Wheelwriter 5, Boltmodded.  AT F layout, M technology. 
Lexmark/IBM: M13 Black Trackpoint
NCR:HO150-STD1-01-17 Decision Mate V - The other Gray NCR linear.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 07:29:17 »
There was a member here (stlensbar) who lived in Korea, IIRC.  He used to get us keyboards from Asia (mainly Topres) without a whole of hassle before Elitekeyboards came about.  It would be nice if we had someone that could buy for us in Asia for some of the more "exotic" stuff that isn't available in the US.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 08:47:59 »
Quote from: itlnstln;151747
There was a member here (stlensbar) who lived in Korea, IIRC.  He used to get us keyboards from Asia (mainly Topres) without a whole of hassle before Elitekeyboards came about.  It would be nice if we had someone that could buy for us in Asia for some of the more "exotic" stuff that isn't available in the US.

No problem in that, but I hope it's not a trend in the making to go overseas for all specialty electronics (esp. keyboards).
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2010, 08:59:47 by sethstorm »
Current:

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 10:09:30 »
This has been going on for a long time and it is not just keyboards/electronics. What you also have to understand is that most of these products are from small companies that do not have a international presence or the money to develop/market a nitch product to a market outside of there home market that they know. But now through the power of the Internet we have become aware of some of these products and we would like to get our hands on them. But the small company still has the same problem in that it does not have the resources to develop a product for our market nor does it understand our market or how to do business here. So what happens is some enterprising individual with some money takes a risk because they think they can sell said product in the US and starts to import them (Elitekeyboards). This is just the way the market works (Manufacture/distributor/Retail store) and it works this way for a reason, I know the reasons but I'm not sure I can explain them to you quickly.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 10:40:49 »
Owning a Filco used to mean something on this forum.  Now, all the unwashed masses can have one.  Does anyone know what "Elite" means anymore???

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2010, 13:16:42 »
Quote from: itlnstln;151786
Does anyone know what "Elite" means anymore???

Top rank:

Elite
Deadly
Dangerous
Competent
Above average
Average
Poor
Mostly harmless
Harmless
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 01:15:42 »
Quote from: rdjack21;151777
This has been going on for a long time and it is not just keyboards/electronics. What you also have to understand is that most of these products are from small companies that do not have a international presence or the money to develop/market a niche product to a market outside of there home market that they know. But now through the power of the Internet we have become aware of some of these products and we would like to get our hands on them. But the small company still has the same problem in that it does not have the resources to develop a product for our market nor does it understand our market or how to do business here. So what happens is some enterprising individual with some money takes a risk because they think they can sell said product in the US and starts to import them (Elitekeyboards). This is just the way the market works (Manufacture/distributor/Retail store) and it works this way for a reason, I know the reasons but I'm not sure I can explain them to you quickly.

My comment was aimed towards the larger ones (read: Cherry) that can, not so much towards the specialty ones.  That is, the folks who *have* the resources, and go out of their way (beyond price) to throw speed bumps in the path.  The part that talked about the manufacturing trends stands.

I already know it's a bit of practice with more than just electronics.  I'm just looking at things on a long-term basis.
Current:

Offline sethstorm

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 01:17:34 »
Quote from: ripster;151827
You have to be French to be truly élite.

French Polytechnique - France's version of MIT.  Haven't invented anything significant in 100 years.

...and a LOT harder to get into than MIT, IIRC.

Quote from: ripster;151799
Final straw was the Red Esc key thing.  Now everybody has gone Wapanese and Rainbow coalition with the colored key thing.

Far from that.  Keep the red ESC, I'll take M13 black keys.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2010, 02:31:13 by sethstorm »
Current:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2010, 07:49:30 »
Quote from: ripster;151827
You have to be French to be truly élite.

Show Image

No wonder the Nazis rolled right in.  I could kick their collective ass single handedly.