Author Topic: Typing on Linear Too Hard? Switch to Tactile  (Read 6173 times)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Typing on Linear Too Hard? Switch to Tactile
« on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 22:02:37 »

I'm selling all my linears since I am now part of the tactile gang.
I want to keep one linear switch since I want to remind myself how bad linears are so  I never buy them again. This will be the Gateron switch that has been lubed. It sounds very good and smooth.

I can't stand typing on linear. It just feels like bottom out. Nothing special.

I can still type fast on linear but I don't enjoy it as much as the tactile switch.
I even enjoy typing on the brown switch more than black.

Does anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Typing on Linear Too Hard? Switch to Tactile
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 02:42:28 »
Does anyone else hate cheese and onion crisps (chips if you're American)?  Of course they do, but they still sell really well :p

Personally when I tried linears (MX red) and hated the bottom out I went hevier, first blacks then 120g on most keys and 100g on those I hit with my pinkies.  Now I rarely go back to my lubed MX clear board, though no doubt it helps that the 1800ish layout the heavy linears in is awesome.  Most people would probably hate using my board but that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Personal preferences are what make the world interesting, don't let sheeple mentality prevent you from trying things 'everyone' dislikes - they may all be wrong.

p.s. have fun exploring the world of tactile switches :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui_

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 08:50:16 »
i agree with you that tactiles are more comfortable than linears.
my fav tactiles are vintage mx browns, with lubed 45g topre coming in a close second (i have yet to try 30g but am eager to).
i feel like more and more of the current tactile market has turned into a "more tactile = more better!!!!" environment, something which i'm not a fan of.

in some ways i'm glad for this wild popularity of more tactile switches because it makes the browns i like more considerably easier to get.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 09:43:16 »
Personally I went the opposite direction with my switch preferences. When I first tried linears I hated them, so when I got into this hobby I built my personal boards exclusively with tactile & clicky switches. Then the Holy Panda craze happened & transitioned into this whole more tactile = better thing we have going on now like jorj_mk mentioned. I don't hate the hyper tactile switches, but being honest do not like typing on them for extended periods. So I finally decided to take a look at linears & well now they are my favorite switch type. I get what you're saying about them feeling like just bottoming out, but you can mess with their feel a bit using progressive, slow curved, & complex springs.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 09:51:49 »

I can't type for long periods of time on anything over 65g. Even something like 70g on Gateron ink black and Pingmaster has tired my hands out.

I enjoy tactile switches because they let me know when I've actuated so  I can let go and move to another key.
With linear it's like my fingers are potatoes and I'm smashing them into the bottom out. It's not bad, but it's not my preferred feel.

45g Topre is great. Love the high actuation point, but it doesn't tell me when I actuated it. I prefer mx tactile to it for speed typing.

Offline Error213

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:20:43 »

I can't type for long periods of time on anything over 65g. Even something like 70g on Gateron ink black and Pingmaster has tired my hands out.

I enjoy tactile switches because they let me know when I've actuated so  I can let go and move to another key.
With linear it's like my fingers are potatoes and I'm smashing them into the bottom out. It's not bad, but it's not my preferred feel.

45g Topre is great. Love the high actuation point, but it doesn't tell me when I actuated it. I prefer mx tactile to it for speed typing.
not trying to start anything but, u like browns? I kinda like them, is there a slightly heavier switch you know of that feels similar to browns?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:23:23 »
Linear gang rise up  :mad:
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Error213

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 19:26:24 »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 08:49:28 »

not trying to start anything but, u like browns? I kinda like them, is there a slightly heavier switch you know of that feels similar to browns?

Greetech brown and you can change the spring weight

Offline diazel

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 09:41:22 »

I'm selling all my linears since I am now part of the tactile gang.
I want to keep one linear switch since I want to remind myself how bad linears are so  I never buy them again. This will be the Gateron switch that has been lubed. It sounds very good and smooth.
Does anyone else feel the same way or is it just me?

Wondering what you're looking to get rid of. After posting this, I might mosey on over to classifieds to see if you've thrown anything up there yet.

That said, it's not just you. I have been on the search for a linear that i like anywhere near as much as my other tactile switches. No dice so far but you never know. I would like to find a set that's light enough that my fingers don't get tired but with progessive springs so I don't constantly smash the bottom as when I type on tactiles, I hit the bump and either miss the bottom out or just barely touch it and it's far more satisfying then the hard stop. I'm not sure why I'm trying to force it and I'm still open to trying out more linears when I suspect I'll find the same thing but if you don't try you'll never know, right? (And that statement is why I've spent entirely too much money in this hobby, haha)

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 10:10:27 »
My first board was a BS board that was with my IBM 486, after that was a MX-Blue board that I used for years until I decided I wanted to try something a bit quieter.  I ended up moving to MX-Brown and Otemu Brown in my boards, and then in march finally made the migration to Gat Black Ink V1's and I don't plan on moving back - just feels like typing on a cloud.  I still use my Otemu brown board at work but have plans to swap it to Gat x Mito Laser switches once I finalize the route of that mod/build.  In the end I say if you haven't really tried a tactile switch, try them out and of course you can always make any switch fit your needs.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline bronnn

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 00:10:57 »
Personally I went the opposite direction with my switch preferences. When I first tried linears I hated them, so when I got into this hobby I built my personal boards exclusively with tactile & clicky switches. Then the Holy Panda craze happened & transitioned into this whole more tactile = better thing we have going on now like jorj_mk mentioned. I don't hate the hyper tactile switches, but being honest do not like typing on them for extended periods. So I finally decided to take a look at linears & well now they are my favorite switch type. I get what you're saying about them feeling like just bottoming out, but you can mess with their feel a bit using progressive, slow curved, & complex springs.

What are some of these mystical springs that we can use? :D

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 02:25:11 »
i agree with you that tactiles are more comfortable than linears.
my fav tactiles are vintage mx browns, with lubed 45g topre coming in a close second (i have yet to try 30g but am eager to).
i feel like more and more of the current tactile market has turned into a "more tactile = more better!!!!" environment, something which i'm not a fan of.

in some ways i'm glad for this wild popularity of more tactile switches because it makes the browns i like more considerably easier to get.
Which is why im so excited for oxbloods
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline Crabby

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 21:13:29 »
I really like the optical electric switches like in the wooting one and others. I never really liked linears before then but when they're this smooth it's just amazing.

Tactile boards on the other hand I really only enjoy... rubber domes. I want a rounded tactility since most "mechanicals" that aren't clicky tactiles almost feel dirty in my mind and I'm not gonna pay an arm and a leg for the designer switches or good condition alps. For me my dome with slider boards are more than good enough for my needs when I want a tactile board without a click.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 13:26:35 »
Holy ****!
Guys, I'm a topre lover and fan of linear, right? Today for a first time in my life I tried Holy Pandas. And I have to say WOW!!!! This is amazing! Glorious Holy Pandas arrived today and I just swapped my Tealios with these.
Sensation when typing on them is hard to describe - it feels pretty close to 55g topre, but it clicks, jumps down, when bottoming out in a way that I cant describe.

I tried Browns, Clears, Zealios before and didn't like it. I think that huge impact has the tactile moment with those switches - it starts right at the top surface, making it a nice jump down when pressed. Zealios had like 1mm slide down before the bump started, then actual bump felt uneven, kinda flimsy, too wobbly, horrible.
I don't know if OG Holy Pandas are the same as these, but I love my Glorious Pandas. :thumb:
AWESOME!
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2020, 13:48:06 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Riverman

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 12:08:59 »
You've got to keep your mind open. :)  I never thought I'd like a linear switch, after not enjoying a couple of MX red keyboards at all, but PCB mount silent blacks are very nice, and I could switch between those and 45g Topre switches all day long.  I bought a Cherry G80-3494 with silent blacks just so I could convert it something else, but after trying it out, it really surprised me how much I liked typing on it.

Offline arydi

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 October 2020, 22:03:58 »
I'm resigned to the fact that I just can't get into linears.
I got a 55g Realforce that is nice but doesn't blow me away.
I love the smoothness of tealios and healios but I'm really sloppy when I type with them.

For me it's not getting any better than 78g zealios.   

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 08:15:16 »
Does anyone else hate cheese and onion crisps (chips if you're American)?  Of course they do, but they still sell really well :p

Personally when I tried linears (MX red) and hated the bottom out I went hevier, first blacks then 120g on most keys and 100g on those I hit with my pinkies.  Now I rarely go back to my lubed MX clear board, though no doubt it helps that the 1800ish layout the heavy linears in is awesome.  Most people would probably hate using my board but that doesn't stop me enjoying it.

Personal preferences are what make the world interesting, don't let sheeple mentality prevent you from trying things 'everyone' dislikes - they may all be wrong.

p.s. have fun exploring the world of tactile switches :)

I like cheese and onion crisps... :p
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline jamster

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 09:25:28 »
Holy ****!
Guys, I'm a topre lover and fan of linear, right? Today for a first time in my life I tried Holy Pandas. And I have to say WOW!!!! This is amazing! Glorious Holy Pandas arrived today and I just swapped my Tealios with these.
Sensation when typing on them is hard to describe - it feels pretty close to 55g topre, but it clicks, jumps down, when bottoming out in a way that I cant describe.

I tried Browns, Clears, Zealios before and didn't like it. I think that huge impact has the tactile moment with those switches - it starts right at the top surface, making it a nice jump down when pressed. Zealios had like 1mm slide down before the bump started, then actual bump felt uneven, kinda flimsy, too wobbly, horrible.
I don't know if OG Holy Pandas are the same as these, but I love my Glorious Pandas. :thumb:
AWESOME!

This is interesting, I'll have to try Glorious Pandas sometime when I can find a source that's inexpensive. I've never found an MX style switch to be as satsifying as 55g Topre, the closest is Ergo Clear for the same reasons you mention, but it still falls short. I'm not at all familiar with newer switch offerings though as I've found MX in general to be kind of unsatisfying, so haven't been keeping up.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 10:22:21 »
55g  topre very nice yes. But I like how you get more tactile feeling with the MX offering.

I am a value oriented person over "feeling". .  so I'd rather have a prebuilt with brown for 50 dollars vs 200 or more USD Topre keyboard.

over 200 is good enough to get you some p cool options in custom world too!