Author Topic: AcidFire's modular keyboard system - Axios [In Development]  (Read 657533 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: AcidFire's custom split keyboard - ErgoGP
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 08:12:29 »
That ain't a keyboard, that is a keystation

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 08:33:13 »
I think the numpad would be quite amazing, but the two thumb clusters don't seem quite useful...
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 08:47:03 »
That ain't a keyboard, that is a keystation

Nice one.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 10:05:02 »
After a conversation with CommunistWitchDr on IRC, I ended up getting a little carried away:
Show Image

the two top boards are just thumb clusters, so little to no development would be needed to add them to the mix :D And the pad at the bottom is a proper 10 key pad, however it's wide enough to fit a smartphone quite easily.

Loving this! As a Kinesis Countoured owner I would love this. Is the angle still adjustable? I also would love to be able to move the hands farther apart as I have really broad sholders. This was something I was looking at building or the ergodox (a method to rotate them and put them in the right spot then lock them into place. I like the additional buttons better and would love to get my hands on this. (the additional buttons would be great for function keys and other macros.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 10:08:03 »
Make it all in gloss black polycarbonate, it would look at home on Darth Vader's desk. 

Offline Larken

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 10:17:30 »
Can I get a Mech-Warrior to go with that keyboard?
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #306 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 10:43:00 »
Make it all in gloss black polycarbonate, it would look at home on Darth Vader's desk.
Really? I think the black and clear in OP look realllllllyyyy good. Super classy.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #307 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 10:50:46 »
Really? I think the black and clear in OP look realllllllyyyy good. Super classy.

My comment was about the keystation, not the original version.   ;D

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #308 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 10:59:32 »
After a conversation with CommunistWitchDr on IRC, I ended up getting a little carried away:
Show Image

the two top boards are just thumb clusters, so little to no development would be needed to add them to the mix :D And the pad at the bottom is a proper 10 key pad, however it's wide enough to fit a smartphone quite easily.

wayyyy too much going on, im sure some would like that though

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #309 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:30:13 »

My comment was about the keystation, not the original version.   ;D

I lolled at the "keystation", I just coined a new term. LOL. ErgoGP just became ErgoKS :P

Offline AcidFire

• Axios - The Open Source Modular Ergonomic Keyboard
« Reply #310 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:38:27 »
It's interesting how polarizing this has been. It's most definitely not for everyone, however it's for people like BlueByLiquid who prefer things like the Kinesis or Maltron boards, or who want the extra keys for even more shortcuts/macros/etc. Thats the great thing about how I've designed the base/stands, you can use the ErgoGP in a set up as crazy as this, or simpler like the laptop stands I showed earlier.

I'm also stealing that name mohitgarg :D

Clan or Inner Sphere? I've always been partial to the Timber Wolf or Mad Dog personally.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:40:19 by AcidFire »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #311 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:55:53 »
It's interesting how polarizing this has been. It's most definitely not for everyone, however it's for people like BlueByLiquid who prefer things like the Kinesis or Maltron boards, or who want the extra keys for even more shortcuts/macros/etc. Thats the great thing about how I've designed the base/stands, you can use the ErgoGP in a set up as crazy as this, or simpler like the laptop stands I showed earlier.

I'm also stealing that name mohitgarg :D

Clan or Inner Sphere? I've always been partial to the Timber Wolf or Mad Dog personally.

I prefer Nova Cat.

Yes, I still play Mechwarrior 4.

BTW, am I on the beta test list yet? Did I get on? If I didn't. then there's no more point in life.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:28:39 »

BTW, am I on the beta test list yet? Did I get on? If I didn't. then there's no more point in life.

MW4 FTW!

As for the beta test list, everyone who's applied so far will get a unit, regardless of whether the payment comes through the indiegogo campaign, or independently.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #313 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:38:10 »

MW4 FTW!

As for the beta test list, everyone who's applied so far will get a unit, regardless of whether the payment comes through the indiegogo campaign, or independently.

YES! MW44LIFE! It's funny, almost all of my favorite PC games are at least 10 years old. It's been great to hear that some older games, like the OG Jed Academy are going open source.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:38:58 »
If I'm on that list, then, AcidFire, I love you.  Thanks!

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #315 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:43:37 »
He was already awesome.

As for the 'keystation', I wonder how hard it would be to stuff a Mini-ITX motherboard and PSU under that thing... Me likes.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #316 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:48:16 »
AcidFire, go ahead.

Your project came into 6th gear right about when I ordered all the things for my ErgoDox.

So I am unable to buy one at the stage no matter how much I want to get this, maybe in some months.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #317 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:19:30 »
He was already awesome.

As for the 'keystation', I wonder how hard it would be to stuff a Mini-ITX motherboard and PSU under that thing... Me likes.
I've just checked, a mini-itx board would actually fit quite nicely in the area between the main halves. A power supply would be another question entirely, as that would depend on what type of set up you were going for.

May just have to build myself a revival of my old amiga 500 lol.

AcidFire, go ahead.

Your project came into 6th gear right about when I ordered all the things for my ErgoDox.

So I am unable to buy one at the stage no matter how much I want to get this, maybe in some months.
No worries at all, I know timing doesn't always work out for people on this sort of thing, I've missed a number of kickstarter projects that I would have loved to jump in on. I know that you sourced everything for your ergodox yourself, and if you like I can let you know when the design is available and just the completed PCBs are available.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #318 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:24:42 »
He was already awesome.

I've just checked, a mini-itx board would actually fit quite nicely in the area between the main halves. A power supply would be another question entirely, as that would depend on what type of set up you were going for.

AcidFire, go ahead.

No worries at all, I know timing doesn't always work out for people on this sort of thing, I've missed a number of kickstarter projects that I would have loved to jump in on. I know that you sourced everything for your ergodox yourself, and if you like I can let you know when the design is available and just the completed PCBs are available.

Thank you kind sir, that would be most excellent. Once the design is finalised, I may just get the PCB and the electronics, as I have the rest, the case if designs are available I can get cut here in India myself.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #319 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:33:57 »
He was already awesome.

Though it would have to run some linux distro with ratpoison so that you wouldn't need to take your hands off of the keystation too often. It looks very comfortable.

I really wish that I had access to a laser cutter. Then I could make a bunch of cool prototypes of stuff. I was thinking that it would be cool to get one of the Full Spectrum cutters, but I don't have the $$$ even for those.  :(

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #320 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:42:53 »
Though it would have to run some linux distro with ratpoison so that you wouldn't need to take your hands off of the keystation too often. It looks very comfortable.

I really wish that I had access to a laser cutter. Then I could make a bunch of cool prototypes of stuff. I was thinking that it would be cool to get one of the Full Spectrum cutters, but I don't have the $$$ even for those.  :(
I was thinking it would be pretty easy to bury a RasPi in it, I may have to explore that down the road.

We have a full spectrum in the shop, they're great for production cutting, however setting up test cuts and what not on it is... a pain in the ass. They also don't engrave/etch nearly as well as the Epilogs we have.

As for the prototyping, I find I need to be careful as I can get carried away at times if I find a mistake or addition to make, it's easy to throw it in the laser or just to make a new part. Thankfully we buy acrylic in bulk so my costs per sheet are pretty low, but it still adds up pretty quick if your OCD like me.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #321 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 13:55:05 »

I was thinking it would be pretty easy to bury a RasPi in it, I may have to explore that down the road.

We have a full spectrum in the shop, they're great for production cutting, however setting up test cuts and what not on it is... a pain in the ass. They also don't engrave/etch nearly as well as the Epilogs we have.

As for the prototyping, I find I need to be careful as I can get carried away at times if I find a mistake or addition to make, it's easy to throw it in the laser or just to make a new part. Thankfully we buy acrylic in bulk so my costs per sheet are pretty low, but it still adds up pretty quick if your OCD like me.

Ahh.. the raspi is a good idea!

Thanks for the info on the lasers. Random other optional question, what industry do you work in?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:02:12 »
I'm the IT/Web guy for a company called Solarbotics, we make hobbyist robotic & electronic kits. We also make these kits.

I don't have any formal training for electronics, however I've picked up a ton of stuff working here, including PCB design, coding in C, etc etc. I also designed this:
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:40:54 by AcidFire »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #323 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:39:39 »
I'm the IT/Web guy for a company called Solarbotics, we make hobbyist robotic & electronic kits. We also make these kits.

I don't have any formal training for electronics, however I've picked up a ton of stuff working here, including PCB design, coding in C, etc etc. I also designed this:

Cool!

As for the youtube link, it was a valiant effort, but it needs to be http, not https.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:42:22 »
Cool!
As for the youtube link, it was a valiant effort, but it needs to be http, not https.

I have no idea what your talking about (quietly fixes original post)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #325 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 21:09:02 »

I don't have formal training in anything, but I've learned a LOT from helpful people on the web.

Do you use Mr. Bitey in production? He looks very useful.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 23:02:38 »
Show Image

I need this design for my Ergodox! Any chance it would fit? If so can you send me the code for laser printing? I have access to a laser cutter.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #327 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 00:44:17 »
I don't have formal training in anything, but I've learned a LOT from helpful people on the web.

Do you use Mr. Bitey in production? He looks very useful.
Not currently. It uses a photogate to count parts, but if they end up bent to where it can't count properly it messes up the counts. I'm looking at either using a stepper which can reliably move the spool forward for the 5.5mm distance between components, or a photogate with a narrow enough beam that I could use the legs of the components at the edges of the reel to count accurately. I'll probably end up working on it some time in september when a ton of our web work is done.

I need this design for my Ergodox! Any chance it would fit? If so can you send me the code for laser printing? I have access to a laser cutter.
Unfortunately I don't think it will. While they share the same basic shape, the size of the units and and & position of the thumb are different.

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 09:39:01 »
Unfortunately I don't think it will. While they share the same basic shape, the size of the units and and & position of the thumb are different.
[/quote]

Ok thanks. I just really think this type of thing would make the ergodox usable for me so maybe I will do something similar when I get some free time (Probablly never :) )

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #329 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 10:26:24 »
He was already awesome.

Hmm... PicoPSU? Cooling would be another issue. You would probably need to use one of the new 55W i3 CPUs, or one of the newer AMD ones. For the GPU, it would be best to use one of the mini-graphics-card variations of the 640/650...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #330 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 11:27:54 »
The tenting angle on your keystation looks nice to me. The apparent lack of rotation about the Z axis looks like something to be fixed. Is the yaw adjustable? Why have you chosen no rotation?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #331 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 18:58:31 »
The tenting angle on your keystation looks nice to me. The apparent lack of rotation about the Z axis looks like something to be fixed. Is the yaw adjustable? Why have you chosen no rotation?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Z axis.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 20:46:31 »
hmm... how to better express myself... One of the great things about the split hands is that you can orient them such that your wrists can be in a neutral position even when your hands are close together. It appears that this flexibility might be lost in the keystation setup, and to me that would be a shame, and a loss of ergo.  Spinning on the desk surface === rotate on Z axis === yaw.  I would like to see this degree of freedom maintained...

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #333 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 20:58:54 »
hmm... how to better express myself... One of the great things about the split hands is that you can orient them such that your wrists can be in a neutral position even when your hands are close together. It appears that this flexibility might be lost in the keystation setup, and to me that would be a shame, and a loss of ergo.  Spinning on the desk surface === rotate on Z axis === yaw.  I would like to see this degree of freedom maintained...

Ah... ok.  That is what I've always thought of the Z axis as being. I can definitely see where you're coming from. I think that the keystaition was just an experimental thing. I'd be surprised if AcidFire plans to continue much more on it's development.

That said, it's a great idea.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #334 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 21:18:02 »
I hoped that there was a bit of rotation in a finalized product like that also I would love to have it be able to widen or narrow if you have really broad sholders like me. I don't think that is something that will be soon but I know I would love it. I also hope the tenting in that design is adjustable because to play games I like to have the keys flat but angled when typing.

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #335 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 00:41:48 »
It was mostly experimental, and while yes I wasn't originally intending to offer it, I think I may just put a bit more time and offer it as a higher up reward for the kickstarter.

As for the angles, I have an idea swimming in my head on how to do user adjustable Z. And the tilt will be adjustable through removable peices. If I get enough cash for injection molding I should be able to do something a little bit more flexible.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #336 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 09:51:28 »
It was mostly experimental, and while yes I wasn't originally intending to offer it, I think I may just put a bit more time and offer it as a higher up reward for the kickstarter.

As for the angles, I have an idea swimming in my head on how to do user adjustable Z. And the tilt will be adjustable through removable peices. If I get enough cash for injection molding I should be able to do something a little bit more flexible.

Yeah...

It is intriguing, if nothing else.

With all that space, it would be tempting to try to mod it into a computer case, using a PicoPSU.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #337 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 11:38:12 »
Definitely, would like to see what's managable, tho building the PC would either make it bigger to accomodate the ability to pivot the inputs, or a fixed angle to keep it all the same size.

On a different note, will I have complete faith that the boards from Seeed studio will be quality, however, will never pick the EMS option again when I want them at a reasonable time >_< here's hoping they'll atleast hit canada over the weekend. In the meantime I've gotten most of the firmware prepped, very eager to test it.

I've also been looking at LEDs, and was wondering what colors people would be interested in for their proto kits?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:01:28 »
Definitely, would like to see what's managable, tho building the PC would either make it bigger to accomodate the ability to pivot the inputs, or a fixed angle to keep it all the same size.

On a different note, will I have complete faith that the boards from Seeed studio will be quality, however, will never pick the EMS option again when I want them at a reasonable time >_< here's hoping they'll atleast hit canada over the weekend. In the meantime I've gotten most of the firmware prepped, very eager to test it.

I've also been looking at LEDs, and was wondering what colors people would be interested in for their proto kits?

Seeed has a reputation for good quality. I say good choice.

For LEDs, I don't understand how you could include them in the proto kits at that price. If that does come through, I would love green.  :D
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #339 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:23:27 »
Purple or slow fade rainbow is the best led color

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #340 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:55:44 »

For LEDs, I don't understand how you could include them in the proto kits at that price. If that does come through, I would love green.  :D

Buying in bulk makes it cheaper for sure. Only issue w/ 3mm leds is that it limits your choices a bit for brightness/color/manfacturer/price, but I have Green, Blue, Red & Yellow on my list and I'm looking for white as well.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:03:56 »

Buying in bulk makes it cheaper for sure. Only issue w/ 3mm leds is that it limits your choices a bit for brightness/color/manfacturer/price, but I have Green, Blue, Red & Yellow on my list and I'm looking for white as well.

Hmm... white will be tricky.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #342 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:12:01 »
Purple or slow fade rainbow is the best led color
I like purple too.

... However, I'm more than happy to take what's easiest.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #343 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:11:37 »
Purple is great but it is VERY hard to find superbright purple LEDs. I couldn't find them the only ones I found we either not bright or that ugly pinkish color like the Ducky shine 2. Not sure where they got the ones for the Ducky shine 3 but they look great

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #344 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:14:16 »
It would look insanely awesome if the home row had different leds than the rest of the board.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #345 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:17:09 »
It would look insanely awesome if the home row had different leds than the rest of the board.

I disagree unless you use the RGB ones and do it programmatically. people are picky about lighting and you wouldn't get something everyone would be happy with

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #346 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:26:31 »

I disagree unless you use the RGB ones and do it programmatically. people are picky about lighting and you wouldn't get something everyone would be happy with

It was just a random thought.

Your opinion, however, remains valid.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline AcidFire

« Reply #347 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 16:39:06 »
It was just a random thought.

Your opinion, however, remains valid.

I'd go even further and say that both opinions are valid for different crowds. Not everyone will be able to afford the RGB add-ons, and it's fairly simple to offer a customization option for those who don't. Nothing wrong with putting yourself in the position to cater to everyone without having to compromise :)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #348 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 19:36:21 »
Nothing wrong with putting yourself in the position to cater to everyone without having to compromise :)

You're like bunny in that way.

Except bunny would give away a bunch of units, and require everyone who enters to post a picture of themselves playing piano with a piece of paper stuck to their face that says "bunnylake this is my favorite keyboard"  :D
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #349 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 19:44:29 »
Nothing wrong with putting yourself in the position to cater to everyone without having to compromise :)

You're like bunny in that way.

Except bunny would give away a bunch of units, and require everyone who enters to post a picture of themselves playing piano with a piece of paper stuck to their face that says "bunnylake this is my favorite keyboard"  :D

No kidding I can actually play a piano
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda