Author Topic: [IC] Karbon/65  (Read 19712 times)

Offline Cruxx_.

[IC] Karbon/65
« on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 16:58:19 »

Karbon/65   

Alright, here's my take on it.

There's a strong distaste for PheonixStarr's work, whatever quality it might be. I commissioned her services some time before her Keylace fiasco, but it seems even then, none of you like the idea that she's worked on it. Pushing onwards, I felt that it would have been deceptive if I didn't explicitly mention her involvement. Nevertheless, I'm very sorry for getting this IC off on a bad, bad note. Moving forward, I've decided to scrap what work we've started together and hunt for a new PCB designer. I want to get this keyboard GB off the ground, and if this is what I have to do, it'll be done.

As for the renders, they'll be shortly replaced by prototype photos (whenever it is they arrive).

Hi. I've been lurking this community for a while. After a lot of practice and study, I'm happy to present my first keyboard design :)
I understand that, as a new runner, I'm still unproven. Nevertheless, I'd like to make an attempt at a small groupbuy of no more than a dozen units. I hope my nascence won't prove an issue to anyone.

Inspired by the refined touches of forged composite carbon fiber on Lamborghini vehicles like the Sesto Elemento, Veneno, and the Huracan, the Karbon/65 brings an equally exotic-yet-subdued atmosphere to your desktop.

The forged carbon fiber composite plate is supported by a custom-cut full isolation mount.

A small sandblasted brass weight keeps everything anchored to your desk—and, of course, contributes to its unique sound signature.

Specifications

- Layout: 65% symmetrical
- Case: Aluminum housing, sandblasted brass weight
- Plate: Forged Composite (Matte finish); Aluminum available
- Mount: Isolation mount; custom-cut gaskets.
- Colors: Black & Grey
- Angle: 7.0 deg.
- PCB: TBA

Details

Price - expected to be around $475 due to low quantity, but I will do my best to reduce this figure. There's a good chance I might be able to sell it for $450 or less.

Groupbuy will consist of twelve units serialized (design in the works). Most likely, it will be laser-engraved into the brass weight, probably on the internal side.
Additional FC/alu plates will be available (anodized either black or grey, your choice), as well as PCB+daughterboard combos.

Dates TBD. Prototypes expected within 3 weeks.

Renders by PheonixStarr.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2019, 00:17:41 by Cruxx_. »

Offline Cruxx_.

Re: [IC] Karbon/65
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 16:58:49 »

Offline octix

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:02:06 »
Woah! Interesting design. GL :)

Discord: octix#0478

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:05:33 »
Is this WKL only or ne WK available?

What firmware is the PCB?

Offline Cruxx_.

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:09:00 »
Is this WKL only or ne WK available?

What firmware is the PCB?

I was planning only on WKL in order to attain that sweet symmetry. The PCB will run QMK.

Offline Loges

• none
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:12:45 »
I'm definitely in.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:24:21 »
A few people have forwarded me concerns that Cruxx is a scammer/the legendary CE/Klutz/whatever. I can assure by way of personal connection that he's most likely none of these things.

Regardless, I think most people would feel more comfortable if this keyboard was run through a vendor.

Offline kenkaneki

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:36:21 »
What will be the production time on these boards?

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:53:43 »
A few people have forwarded me concerns that Cruxx is a scammer/the legendary CE/Klutz/whatever. I can assure by way of personal connection that he's most likely none of these things.

Regardless, I think most people would feel more comfortable if this keyboard was run through a vendor.
I agree, this would put some folks at ease for sure.

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 17:57:22 »
reserved

edit:

$475 x 10 x 3 = $14250

(Board price) x (Number of units - 2 boards for Cruxx and Phoenix) x (Triangle has 3 sides)

nice way to raise 14k

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:20:56 by pngu »

Offline Atlantic

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:03:54 »

Offline phabulous

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:12:10 »

Given the latest ****show that was your Cygnus GB I'm not sure your assurances mean much.

I take it this is the same Cruxx that was part of your Keylace and is a student in high school according to the bio on your now-deleted website?

Let's all think twice before handing over money to someone under the age of 18.

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:13:09 »

While I think that running it through a vendor would be a good idea I can't think of any things that are less reassuring than having PheonixStarr vouch for someone's integrity.

Given the latest ****show that was your Cygnus GB I'm not sure your assurances mean much.

I take it this is the same Cruxx that was part of your Keylace and is a student in high school according to the bio on your now-deleted website?

Let's all think twice before handing over money to someone under the age of 18.

Note: financial regulation prevents persons under the age of 18 from accepting payment or entering into contracts.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:17:23 by JonoColwell »

Offline phabulous

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:17:43 »

While I think that running it through a vendor would be a good idea I can't think of any things that are less reassuring than having PheonixStarr voich for someone's integrity.

Yeah, it's not like someone who designs the PCB and does the renders for the board has a conflict of interest, right?

Offline Loges

• none
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:20:13 »
reserved
How do we reserve?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline belgium_waffles

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:42:23 »
reserved

edit:

$475 x 10 x 3 = $14250

(Board price) x (Number of units - 2 boards for Cruxx and Phoenix) x (Triangle has 3 sides)

nice way to raise 14k

Open a gb to fund another gb to fund another gb
Lul

Offline Cruxx_.

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:45:31 »
Note: financial regulation prevents persons under the age of 18 from accepting payment or entering into contracts.

Yeah, it's not like someone who designs the PCB and does the renders for the board has a conflict of interest, right?

Let's get a few things straight. I am fully aware of the legal restrictions surrounding age & I am over 18. As for Keylace Co, I was only supposed to handle spreadsheets and data entry for Pheonix. In light of the rabid dumpster fire she prefers to politely term a "group-buy" I wasn't at all planning on vending this board through her. Our connection here extends only as far as the money I pay her for renders and a circuitboard goes.

While I understand your concerns regarding me, I would very politely ask you to keep that Cygnus/Hailey drama away. I'm just trying to make some nice keyboards, not suddenly lose $14,000 and accept money before prototypes appear.

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:51:06 »
My dude, the concern here is that you're the same person.

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 18:53:15 »

this is where the fun begins

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 19:07:06 »
im about that action boss

Offline phabulous

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 19:13:08 »

I have no idea why would you think that from a 20-day old account that was created two days before the Cygnus GB went up.

Offline Cruxx_.

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 19:47:02 »

I have no idea why would you think that from a 20-day old account that was created two days before the Cygnus GB went up.

Oh, I see. In that case, I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what I can say other than "I'm not her." I understand that the account's age looks odd, but I just never felt the need to make one until I started considering a GB for this keyboard.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 20:28:10 »
If it is run through a respected vendor I don't see a huge issue with it.

Offline SUB01

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 21:53:47 »

Let's get a few things straight. I am fully aware of the legal restrictions surrounding age & I am over 18. As for Keylace Co, I was only supposed to handle spreadsheets and data entry for Pheonix. In light of the rabid dumpster fire she prefers to politely term a "group-buy" I wasn't at all planning on vending this board through her. Our connection here extends only as far as the money I pay her for renders and a circuitboard goes.

While I understand your concerns regarding me, I would very politely ask you to keep that Cygnus/Hailey drama away. I'm just trying to make some nice keyboards, not suddenly lose $14,000 and accept money before prototypes appear.

Please. Less drama, but lets not disrespect the many people and vendors who have worked hard to raise the credibility of group buys. This hobby is built on the grounds of trust, and every disorganized run only serves to chip away at what people has built up. It is understandable that people are angry, 450$ is no small amount of money, but we could do with more civility in our conversations.

On a brighter note, the board looks really good, gl to you.

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 23:38:10 »
My point is that this person has popped up when the Cygnus group by was running, was listed as part of a company of one by the Cygnus group by runner (As a paid intern despite the company having done exactly nothing) and has been vouched for by someone who has two active group buys.

1. Which has no prototype yet despite taking money for the boards.
2. Stolen layout, stolen PCB, failed group buy that allegedly won't be able to refund anyone until february for some completely arbitrary reason that's counter to Stripe's refund policy.

Not that much of a stretch to assume that this GB's going to go down the gurgler considering it's pedigree.

Also 12 is a very odd number of boards.

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 December 2019, 23:46:34 »
> PheonixStarr

And for that reason, I’m out.

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 00:25:25 »
1. Which has no prototype yet despite taking money for the boards.
2. Stolen layout, stolen PCB, failed group buy that allegedly won't be able to refund anyone until february for some completely arbitrary reason that's counter to Stripe's refund policy.

I don't really wanna get into all this again, so here's the long and short of it –

1. I am quite literally typing this on a Cygnus prototype, and I have Hailey prototypes expected in two weeks.
2. Cygnus was (provably) formulated in March, which was before Bisoromi ever contacted me, and Cygnus was not going to use his PCB.
3. It is a completely arbitrary reason, but it is not counter to Stripe's policy. Furthermore, it is not up to Stripe, nor is it related to their refund policy. If you even took a single second to pay attention to what's been going on, you'll know the money is being held by Square. And straight from their policy –

"If your account is under investigation, we may hold your funds for up to 180 days."

And even then, from Stripe themselves:

"We reserve the right to change the Payout Schedule or to suspend settlement to you ... In certain circumstances, we may require you to place funds in reserve or to impose conditions on the release of funds (each a “Reserve”). We may impose a Reserve on you for any reason ... "

It's not about Stripe, nor is it about a refund policy. Each of the orders made through Stripe have been refunded in full. It's the Square orders that have been held until February. I honestly don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.

Offline phabulous

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 00:31:50 »

1. I am quite literally typing this on a Cygnus prototype, and I have Hailey prototypes expected in two weeks.

Cool, so two weeks ago when you said Hailey was canceled unless a vendor or another runner wanted to pick it up, you were lying?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/e9tvia/an_apology_to_all/

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 00:34:30 »
I don't really wanna get into all this again, so here's the long and short of it –

2. Cygnus was (provably) formulated in March, which was before Bisoromi ever contacted me, and Cygnus was not going to use his PCB.

Ah yes, my bad, the original biso board GB was just delayed because the PCB designer didn't deliver the PCBs and just so happened to release a board with the same layout after the failure to deliver the PCBs.

This is, of course, 100% a coincidence and there is nothing to read into this.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 00:41:59 »
I'm interested in hearing about the business savvy of a startup with zero money hiring a paid intern.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 01:28:53 »
Ah. This beautiful dumpster fire somehow continues to find new and exciting ways to keep burning and entertain. Please keep going!

Offline Quinella

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 01:44:08 »
I understand that, as a new runner, I'm still unproven. Nevertheless, I'd like to make an attempt at a small groupbuy of no more than a dozen units. I hope my nascence won't prove an issue to anyone.

Oh yeah even IF this was somehow a different person goodluck, also dont see any mentions of Keylace nor Nightingale Studios. And if its going through a vendor, maybe this person deserves abit of a chance

- PCB: PCB designed by PheonixStarr, with custom daughterboard

Nope you just fked urself. imagine debuting as a designer and choosing PHEONIXSTARR as a person to work with after the shtshow that recently just happened.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 02:10:54 by Quinella »

Offline JonoColwell

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 02:07:23 »
And its going through a vendor. maybe this person deserves abit of a chance

Note: OP has never mentioned this being run through a vendor.

Offline Quinella

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 02:12:21 »
And its going through a vendor. maybe this person deserves abit of a chance

i forgot to add the word 'if' there thanks bby

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 03:18:21 »

Oh, I see. In that case, I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what I can say other than "I'm not her." I understand that the account's age looks odd, but I just never felt the need to make one until I started considering a GB for this keyboard.
Look man, while the idea of giving you–a first-timer GB runner with zero experience or credential–465 bucks is pretty damn crazy--
I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. We all have to start somewhere.
But you picked an incredibly ill-suited person to work for and to receive reference from.
Your reputation is now intrinsically linked to that of Pheonix.
In other words, you picked Nightmare mode. Best of luck, yikes.

« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 03:20:35 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Cruxx_.

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 03:23:14 »
- PCB: PCB designed by PheonixStarr, with custom daughterboard

Nope you just fked urself. imagine debuting as a designer and choosing PHEONIXSTARR as a person to work with after the shtshow that recently just happened.

I'd requested her services before the 'shtshow.' I'm sure you delight yourself in trashing on every other GB with whose threads she has her fingers intertwined.

I am thinking about it. It's probably a good idea. I will update the thread if/when a vendor agrees.

But you picked an incredibly ill-suited person to personally vouch for you.
Your reputation is now intrinsically linked to that of Pheonix.

For the record, I didn't exactly tell her to say anything. She just got trigger-happy, I guess. But regardless, we've been interlinked since her severely poor handling of Keylace and her two group-buys.

The ferocity with which certain members of this community have rushed to defame and threadcrap here, however, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 04:20:11 »

Cool, so two weeks ago when you said Hailey was canceled unless a vendor or another runner wanted to pick it up, you were lying?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/e9tvia/an_apology_to_all/
The Hailey prototypes where ordered long before the entire drama with the GBs being cancelled and the post you've linked.
They are being made even though the board is not going to run anymore.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 December 2019, 04:21:49 by elmo »

Offline phabulous

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 06:00:54 »

I'd requested her services before the 'shtshow.' I'm sure you delight yourself in trashing on every other GB with whose threads she has her fingers intertwined.

For the record, I didn't exactly tell her to say anything. She just got trigger-happy, I guess. But regardless, we've been interlinked since her severely poor handling of Keylace and her two group-buys.

The fact that you thought it wise to link your project with her name only two weeks after what you yourself describe as a "rabid dumpster fire" shows poor business sense and judgment.

Even people linked with teslatron were smart enough not to put his name on their projects even though he assisted with them.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 06:03:53 »
The ferocity with which certain members of this community have rushed to defame and threadcrap here, however, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Tell me honestly what you expected. If I were you I’d given it a couple more months and spent the time finding someone else to collaborate with. You have seemingly no issue throwing Pheonix under the bus with your narrative anyway, which I do find interesting.

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 06:44:05 »

I think your youth and ignorance really shows here. The reason people have flocked to this thread to share how they feel is due to the situation Pheonix got not only herself involved with, but you as well. The moment she placed your name on her site, you linked yourself with her, for better or for worse.

And please, explain to me how aligning yourself with someone who took $14,000 in payment, got it locked up, and then planned to run a GB concurrent with her financial situation (and only realized how bad that looks when the community took to sharing how they feel in the Cygnus thread) doesn't leave a bad taste in your mouth while this does.

Offline srxl

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 07:04:13 »
If you really didn't agree with how Pheonix handled Cygnus/Hailey/whatever, why did you still choose to go with a commissioned PCB from her, let alone explicitly link her name to the project? By doing that, you've tarnished both the reputation of the board and yourself a fair bit, with no benefit gained. Which is really unfortunate, because this looks like a pretty neat design.

GLWS. You're gonna need it.
polaris hhkb | endash
waiting on: kepler fc65, tsukuyomi

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 08:26:30 »
too much drama at the begining, RIP the GB  :eek:

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 09:11:22 »
The fact that you thought it wise to link your project with her name only two weeks after what you yourself describe as a "rabid dumpster fire" shows poor business sense and judgment.

Even people linked with teslatron were smart enough not to put his name on their projects even though he assisted with them.

I completely disagree. I think if you're partnered/collaborating in any way with a questionable member of the community, hiding their involvement only makes you look less trustworthy - if you're gonna do that, at least have the decency to let your prospect customers know what the situation is and be transparent else the backlash will be far worse when people inevitably find out.

Either way, associating with someone and then ****ting on them right after is completely nonsensical and I don't see this going anywhere (good).

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 10:57:42 »
Seems like a pretty generic design. Why not just use a different PCB? Change the design. It’s not hard. Renders are done, but you can switch pictures over to the prototype when it comes in.
It’s not too late to salvage this and cut ties if you really want to.

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 12:37:25 »
Any renders of the side profile and from the back usb port side?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 16:07:18 »
I'm curious how forged CF will feel/sound as plate material, compared to the usual (woven?) stuff.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline illusixn

• Formerly illusixn
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 16:33:50 »
Look man, while the idea of giving you–a first-timer GB runner with zero experience or credential–465 bucks is pretty damn crazy--

Didn't people pay more than this to join the Iron165 GB, given a similar situation (aside from the issues raised about a collaborator)?

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 16:59:23 »

Didn't people pay more than this to join the Iron165 GB, given a similar situation (aside from the issues raised about a collaborator)?

A big difference is that the Iron165 guys spent a lot of time IC'ing their product and making themselves part of the community.

Also, while they could be lying, they also talked about their qualifications and experience.

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 17:06:24 »

Both Vox and Lbaron have practical experience with this from their jobs iirc, plus they were sharing/teasing things for quite a while before it went public. It never felt like it was rushed out the door just to get the GB started, and they were always very professional about everything. So imo it feels pretty different than this.

GLWGB on the Karbon though.

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 17:06:44 »
double