Author Topic: [IC] ErgoMax - a DIY split keyboard with room for activities  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Louwii

[IC] ErgoMax - a DIY split keyboard with room for activities
« on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 01:57:28 »
Hello guys

This is one of the first project I worked on and I always wondered if it would actually get some interest from the community, so here it is.

It started out of curiosity about split keyboards. I was really curious about trying out a split board while keeping almost a full layout. Because I'm one of those that don't like having to use a second and third layer to access all my keys.

While the Ergodox was almost fulfilling all that, it was also kind of expensive for something I wasn't sure I'd like. And it was missing the F row.

So, bored as I was during the rainy season of the Canadian west coast, I started learning and designing my own split keyboard, on a budget. Being a complete noob, I've cowardly took inspiration from the Ergodox itself.

Being on a budget means:
  • very simple PCB
  • solderable by hand
  • using cheap & widely available components

Being a newbie in the mech world, I considered using hotswap sockets so I could easily test whatever switches I wanted. I thought the extra cost was kind of worth it.

The ErgoMax

232970-0

So here it is, it's not beautiful, it's not high end, it's not very original. But it's practical, cheap and accessible to almost anybody.

The layout is the exact same as the Ergodox, except it has an extra F row. More room for activities, yay! I do understand it kind of goes against the concept of moving your fingers as little as possible while typing. But why not?

Name isn't the best. I've always been bad at naming stuff... But at least it's kind of coherent.

Key features:

• each side uses an Arduino Pro Micro
  • runs QMK firmware
  • uses TRRS cable to join the 2 sides (jack cable)
  • master/slave can be either side
  • both sides can be run independently (2 masters, no slave, requires 2 USB cables)
  • hotswap sockets
  • 2 pins lefts on the Pro Micro, can be used for anything you want
  • multi layer acrylic case

All of it is open source:

I then discovered that people do seem to like rotary encoders. And what a coincidence, the ErgoMax does have 2 pins left on its Arduino Pro Micro. So as you probably guessed it by now, I've added one, just for fun. And it works. Cool!

232968-1

Now, I'm kind of curious about how people would like it, that's why I'm posting here. I'm willing to take the project a bit further if it's worth it.

Here's what I'm thinking improving:

• acrylic case (I would love to get one designed by Qlavier! https://www.instagram.com/qlavier/)
  • PCB graphics (removing the name and/or PCB side indication, create logo?)
  • include the encoder into the PCB itself (yes/no?)

I'm looking for constructive feedback, or just raise your hand if you'd be interested in buying (kit with all components, just the PCBs, kit for one side only, assembly service...). I'll probably launch an interest form later on if I get enough interest here.

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 02:00:22 by Louwii »

Offline psxndc

Re: [IC] ErgoMax - a DIY split keyboard with room for activities
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 05:47:30 »
I think of it was any bigger, it'd develop its own gravitational field.

Good on you though. Looks cool!
Ortho. Always.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 06:48:16 »
I really dig the function row at the top and the 1.5 mods. Not too into the thumb cluster though. I like the idea of pcb graphics. Look forward to watching this progress.

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 07:21:48 »
Well I have an Ergodox-EZ now so I'm already used to the layout... Very interested!

I would miss the usual Esc key far upper left location. That's kind of a sacred spot, if ya know what I mean. But the Pro Micro is there. I'd probably map it where you have the ~ .

Excited to see this evolve!  :thumb:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 07:54:11 »
I would have made a few degrees tenting mandatory and put the Pro Micros under the thumb-keys, a bit sunken with a straight cable channel for the connector to avoid it being wiggled — the Pro Micro's port is only SMT and it is a too common problem that the cable gets wiggled back and worth breaking the port.
The TRRS ports could also be on the underside, if not replaced with 4P4C under the thumb-clusters, or at least so that it sticks out to the side of the case.

There would be more layers in the case though, but that solution would also the overall footprint to be smaller and allow for the Esc/BS? key in the upper corners. Do have a space between 1u Esc and function keys in the case, but do also make provisions for 1.5u key in that position in the PCB and plate. (would require that builder cuts off the spacing in the top case himself)
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 08:00:44 by Findecanor »

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 08:39:28 »
Looks nice, I am very interested in the project as well.

Offline theNestruo

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 09:11:54 »
So (...) I started learning and designing my own split keyboard, on a budget. Being a complete noob (...).

Being on a budget means:
  • very simple PCB
  • solderable by hand
  • using cheap & widely available components

Being a newbie in the mech world, I considered using hotswap sockets so I could easily test whatever switches I wanted. I thought the extra cost was kind of worth it. (...)
Even newbier here. I'm currently designing my own (non-split) layout, so the details of the process are quite interesting for me!!
For the moment I've only played around with KLE and kbfirmware... but I would be more than happy if I end up with a keyboard as good looking as yours!!!
Congratulations!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 10:26:57 »
And I thought having big hands for a regular ergodox was enough of an advantage

Offline cheswick

• https://cheswick.dev/
    • cheswick.dev
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 13:22:26 »
Interested into this