Author Topic: I'd love to see more designs similar to this left-handed keyboard  (Read 2941 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
I've always liked left-handed keyboards like the A4 Tech's design:

I like how the Home/End is horizontally arranged, which differentiates it from the Page Up/Down visually. I'm neutral about where the Delete key is, since I've used that layout for a few years and I'm very used to it, but the more standard location of being to the right and one row lower than the Backspace is still preferable. The numpad on the left is great if you don't want a separate numpad.

I personally would like to see more keyboards using that Home/End horizontal arrangement (but maybe pushed to the left a bit so the arrow keys can be pushed to the left too, shaving off that 1/4" on the right), and the 75% vertical strip of the navigation cluster. How do you guys feel about it?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: I'd love to see more designs similar to this left-handed keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:05:41 »
That doesn't look like a left handed keyboard at all. That looks way more ergonomic for right hand users than for left. If that was Cherry MX I'd probably actually buy one of those.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:09:06 »
This keyboard is a crime scene  :p but placing the numpad on the lefthand side is a worthwhile idea. I've done this before with a 60% and a discrete numpad, but I never practiced with it long enough to become efficient at left-handed data entry. The right column is OK, but I'd prefer to see it stacked over the right arrow like :

Home
Pg Up
Pg Down
End
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 January 2015, 19:47:47 »
This keyboard is a crime scene  :p but placing the numpad on the lefthand side is a worthwhile idea. I've done this before with a 60% and a discrete numpad, but I never practiced with it long enough to become efficient at left-handed data entry. The right column is OK, but I'd prefer to see it stacked over the right arrow like :

Home
Pg Up
Pg Down
End

You'd be surprised by how quickly you adapt to left-hand numbers entry on a numpad. I think it's because you already know the layout from a normal numpad and you're just mirroring it with your left-hand.

I never liked how many 75% keyboards break up the Home and End like that. It makes much more sense to me to have it like

Home  End
Page Up
Page Down

Or

Home
End
Page Up
Page Down

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 17:52:17 »
Those keycaps, though... *shiver*

Hmm, I like the idea though, especially if you were left-handed, although the left hand tends to already be somewhat overloaded on a standard layout... I actually dislike the semi-mirrored numpad; I think either the entire thing needs to be reversed, number order and all, or the layout needs to be the same as a right-handed numpad. So like, top row would read from left to right  - * / NumLock, the next + 9 8 7, the next + 6 5 4, the next Enter 3 2 1, the last Enter . 0.

I can see what they're going for with the right side, but it looks awkward and balky.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 18:31:59 »
That doesn't look like a left handed keyboard at all. That looks way more ergonomic for right hand users than for left. If that was Cherry MX I'd probably actually buy one of those.

Me 2. I'm right hand but find out left handed setup are more ergonomic for me  ;D
Right hand never leave my mouse = efficiency. Thanks for gaming.

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:34:48 »
[quake4mhg]
The left handed tenkeyless keyboard looks nice. What is that left handed keyboard (make/model) or did you custom make it?

Need one desperately :(
Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 00:52:13 »
I found it easier to adapt to using the number row rather than have a numpad on the left.

I agree with the placement of Home/End and Page Up/Page Down. It places a little more separation between them and you'll likely be able to tell the keys apart without looking. Hopefully if you don't have to look you won't see how horrible the key caps look too.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 02:57:07 »
[quake4mhg]
The left handed tenkeyless keyboard looks nice. What is that left handed keyboard (make/model) or did you custom make it?
Need one desperately :(
But only in Cherry MX red
http://dsi-keyboards.com/product/dsi-left-handed-usb-keyboard-with-cherry-mechanical-red-key-switches-new

If you don't mind UK layout, this is Cherry MX Black
www.keyboardco.com/keyboard/black-left-handed-keyboard-ps2-and-usb.asp

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 03:05:43 »

Me 2. I'm right hand but find out left handed setup are more ergonomic for me  ;D

Show Image

I was thinking about that when OP posted too, basically gets rid of the need for a TKL and brings your hands even closer since the arrows are out of the way too.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 12:01:37 »
If you are going to have a large keyboard like that, with a lot of space wasted on every side, JUST DON'T MESS WITH THE F...G NAVIGATION CLUSTER.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 14:25:05 »
22Mini-XTD left num version:

http://22kbd.com/m/post/156
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 15:55:39 »

How much is one of those boards?

Offline blueSmoke

• Life is what happens while you're busy Fixing RSI
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 18:10:32 »

Show Image

[quake4mhg] /others:
I was not asking about the full size ones, rather, the tenkeyless one (the topmost keyboard), the one with green spacebar/escape key as in the photo above. make/model and is this available in US/Canada?

Model M, Filco Tenkeyless White, Few others, few more others, Noise-hater (ongoing project), blah-blah (to be fillled later...)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 21:09:46 »

How much is one of those boards?

If you're actually interested in getting one you can email him at awshim@gmail.com.
IIRC they're like 300-400 but i could be wrong.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 22:55:24 »

Show Image

[quake4mhg] /others:
I was not asking about the full size ones, rather, the tenkeyless one (the topmost keyboard), the one with green spacebar/escape key as in the photo above. make/model and is this available in US/Canada?
Sorry, it is the KBTalking/Vortex Race 1
I think you can find Race 2 more easier now.

Love 22Mini-XTD left num version the compact desgin, but I need F keys for games & work. And ... too expensive :D

« Last Edit: Sun, 25 January 2015, 23:02:30 by quake4mhg »