Author Topic: Ergodox assembly woes, looking for help  (Read 2962 times)

Offline ff6600

Ergodox assembly woes, looking for help
« on: Mon, 13 July 2015, 20:03:17 »
I'm in the midst of building out an Ergodox with parts mostly sourced from Falbatech (board, electronics and a compact PVC case (http://falbatech.pl/prestashop/index.php?id_product=44&controller=product&id_lang=2)

I got them to partially assemble the keyboard, I picked up some Gateron brown plate mount keyswitches from Amazon and sat down to start assembling it this evening.

First thing I noticed is that even with the switches completely seated, the pins aren't long enough to poke through the back of the board. I'm extremely worries that It's going to be near impossible to guarantee a good electrical connection without anything sticking out the back. Any suggestions?

Also, when I purchased the case there wasn't a warning on their site saying that it's a difficult installation…

Some pics:

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline wholphin

Re: Ergodox assembly woes, looking for help
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 04:30:33 »
Only thing I'd check is that the switches you have received aren't PCB mount. If they are, there'll be two little plastic prongs either side of the centre stem. As per this post: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68943.msg1646588#msg1646588. I've never put together an ergodox, or worked with Gaterons, so just something I remembered from reading threads on this forum haha

Best of luck!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline ff6600

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 12:55:59 »
I emailed the gents at Falbatech and they let me know that everything is by design. Since the case is compact you quite literally have to drip solder down into the hole to make the connection.

One other fun bit of info: Once you solder in the switches there's no way to access the push button on the Teensy…\

I ended up having to reach in with the allen key provided to disassemble the case and probe around until I hit it.

A photo of the right hand half that I completed. Now onto the left side.

Offline wholphin

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 15:19:27 »
Glad to see you got it fixed - weird that that's "by design" though!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | Ducky Shine 3 Tuhaojin (Browns) | Poker II (Blues) | Model M, bolt modded x2 (03 Jan '90, 18 Jan '90) | Leopold FC660M (Ergo Clears) w/ aluminium case | HHKB Pro 2 | Model M SSK (04 Dec '91) w/ PhosphorGlow's replacement controller | Leopold FC660C | Realforce 104U | Realforce 23UB

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 00:40:34 »
To me, the mounting plate looks thick enough to hold the switches too far away from the PCB.  That, and/or the PCB doesn't go far enough into the plate.  This looks like a questionable design decision, placing form over function.  "Dripping" solder into holes is definitely a bodge - but hey, as long as you can get it to work, it works.
Jesus loves you.

Offline KTKM

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 15:28:05 »
I emailed the gents at Falbatech and they let me know that everything is by design. Since the case is compact you quite literally have to drip solder down into the hole to make the connection.

One other fun bit of info: Once you solder in the switches there's no way to access the push button on the Teensy…\

I ended up having to reach in with the allen key provided to disassemble the case and probe around until I hit it.

Why not flip the teensy?

Offline ff6600

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 13:57:19 »

Why not flip the teensy?

This turned out to be a non issue once I programmed the Teensy the first time. The firmware that Massdrop recommends has a software button for the teensy that I'm using now. 

To me, the mounting plate looks thick enough to hold the switches too far away from the PCB.  That, and/or the PCB doesn't go far enough into the plate.  This looks like a questionable design decision, placing form over function.  "Dripping" solder into holes is definitely a bodge - but hey, as long as you can get it to work, it works.

Total bodge. I'd probably recommend against this case in the future. Their regular or the acrylic case would save a lot of hassle. There are visible seams when the case is together that would be fixed with some strategic sanding of the PCB.

Right now, I've been using the keyboard full time at work 4 days and am generally enjoying the heck out of it (or at least I'm telling myself that to justify the purchase).

There's one, glaring issue I'm having with a few of the keys though: Certain keyswiches aren't responsive. Some need to be hit extra hard while some will register a double keypress. I tested the continuity of the keys while assembling them and they all showed good connectivity. I'm going to spend some time this weekend debugging it further but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to debug hardware like this (I'm on OS X). This is my first real experience with hardware, I'm a software guy by trade (First step is going to be to use a different system, obviously.)

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 July 2015, 21:38:02 »
Pressing harder could be a funky switch, maybe due to a poor fit in the mounting plate.  But double presses make me think of a setting in the software/firmware - which could also be the cause of requiring harder (longer) key presses to flip the bit in software.

But pressing harder could also be to overcome  a gap or cold solder joint.  If it is only certain keys in particular, you might try to re-solder those switches which seem not to want to register properly.
Jesus loves you.

Offline ff6600

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 07:45:49 »
Pressing harder could be a funky switch, maybe due to a poor fit in the mounting plate.  But double presses make me think of a setting in the software/firmware - which could also be the cause of requiring harder (longer) key presses to flip the bit in software.

But pressing harder could also be to overcome  a gap or cold solder joint.  If it is only certain keys in particular, you might try to re-solder those switches which seem not to want to register properly.

I got pretty sick of the wonky keys so I ended up taking note and simply kept melting solder into the holes until I had no issues. I ended up re-soldering 10 keys or so, but after that the keyboard has been solid and dependable.