Author Topic: Question about 45g Topre silenced vs 55g  (Read 6318 times)

Offline wqsz7xn

Question about 45g Topre silenced vs 55g
« on: Sat, 03 April 2021, 23:28:07 »
I've decided that I would like to get a topre board because my old keyboard has given up the ghost on me. I have quite a bit of experience with only different MX switches which makes me want to try something different and get a topre board. The reason also being is that I use a Microsoft ergo 4000 quite a bit and find it very nice apart from the binding of keys, which makes me think that realforce topre keyboards will be an 'upgrade' over this rubber dome. I just need help deciding what would be best for me in terms of switch weight. I have the following experiences with different MX switches:

• Cherry MX red: A bit too light, found myself accidentally hitting keys when I didn't want to which was a big problem for me.
  • Cherry MX Black: Perfect for a while, been using a fc900r for over two years with black switches, but have as of recently found them a bit too heavy (6 month problem). I find myself only half compressing the keys and never bottoming them out. I would like something lighter than this ideally.
  • Cherry MX Brown: Pretty good, I enjoyed the weighting when I had this board and find that the tactility was quite nice. I know people hate on browns for feeling linear but personal taste I guess.

What would be the best choice for me here in terms of topre with the descriptions above? I have the choice of:
  • 45g topre silents
  • 55g topre
  • variable weight (already ruled out unless you can convince me otherwise?)

I think that I'm looking for something that has similar weighting to a brown switch without the double hitting issue of the red switch. Which of the options would give me that?

Sadly I can't try these switches in person because I live in a very isolated country.
Thanks for your help!  :D

Offline Tactile

Re: Question about 45g Topre silenced vs 55g
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 10:38:29 »
MX blacks are my favorite switches from Cherry. I also own both a 55 gram Realforce & a HHKB Type S in addition to a regular HHKB. If MX blacks are too heavy for you then you wouldn't like 55 gram Topre. I've never touched a variable weight Topre board so I can't comment on that.

Why silenced 45 gram Topre instead of just plain 45 gram? The (unmodified) silenced Topre have a very small added bit of scratchiness & drag as the silencing rings slide in the barrel, where the regular 45 gram Topre have the closest feel to a rubber dome keyboard (which they are). I think regular 45 gram Topre would be the closest to what you're after. And there are also keyboards with clone, or copies, of Topre switches which are lighter than 45 gram. I don't keep track of those but I think there are some out there with 35 or maybe even 30 gram Topre-alike switches. The drawback to something like that is that with the reduction of switch weight you also lose tactility and the lighter switches don't have as much "pop", or the Topre feel, as 45 gram or heavier.
REΛLFORCE

Offline wqsz7xn

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 12:44:31 »
MX blacks are my favorite switches from Cherry. I also own both a 55 gram Realforce & a HHKB Type S in addition to a regular HHKB. If MX blacks are too heavy for you then you wouldn't like 55 gram Topre. I've never touched a variable weight Topre board so I can't comment on that.

Why silenced 45 gram Topre instead of just plain 45 gram? The (unmodified) silenced Topre have a very small added bit of scratchiness & drag as the silencing rings slide in the barrel, where the regular 45 gram Topre have the closest feel to a rubber dome keyboard (which they are). I think regular 45 gram Topre would be the closest to what you're after. And there are also keyboards with clone, or copies, of Topre switches which are lighter than 45 gram. I don't keep track of those but I think there are some out there with 35 or maybe even 30 gram Topre-alike switches. The drawback to something like that is that with the reduction of switch weight you also lose tactility and the lighter switches don't have as much "pop", or the Topre feel, as 45 gram or heavier.

I was under the impression that a silenced 45g was a direct upgrade. I'll do some more research on 45g vs 45g silenced. But it looks like 55g is ruled out. Thanks for your help!

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 12:44:55 »
Based on what you said, I think 45g silent is the choice for you here. I'm guessing that those are your three choices because they're the only options for Realforces right now? If you look around the used market you can find some stock 45g options. If you decide to go with the stock 45g option, you can follow up with silencing rings and lube to your preference.

Topre is my favorite switch and I hope you enjoy it!  :)

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 April 2021, 19:49:44 »
I think A 45G silent PFU would be to your liking. Do not expect it to be anything like MX switches. I too think it is much nicer for actual typing.

Offline pilfered

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 01:29:57 »
I found that lubing my 45g Topre made it much quieter. I do think about getting a silent 55g though.

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 07:51:46 »
  • Cherry MX red: A bit too light, found myself accidentally hitting keys when I didn't want to which was a big problem for me.
  • Cherry MX Black: Perfect for a while, been using a fc900r for over two years with black switches, but have as of recently found them a bit too heavy (6 month problem). I find myself only half compressing the keys and never bottoming them out. I would like something lighter than this ideally.
  • Cherry MX Brown: Pretty good, I enjoyed the weighting when I had this board and find that the tactility was quite nice. I know people hate on browns for feeling linear but personal taste I guess.

I find Red horribly light, Black too heavy, Brown just a tad on the light side.

I use a Realforce 55 (not silenced) and find it perfect for me. It definitely has higher resistance than Brown, and my other 65g MX style boards. Much higher degree of tactility.

I have a 45g topre clone, with factory silencing (dental band). Not sure how close to 'real' 45 it is and the silencing removes some resistance. It is too soft for me, I do not use the board at all. Reminds me a bit of Reds.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 10:41:58 »
45g Topre is the sweet spot for most people.  I agree that MX browns feel a little light, but 45g Topre switches seems to feel just a little bit heavier, at least to break through the tactility.  I thought that MX blacks in a plate-mounted keyboard were just a little too heavy, but they feel about right in a PCB-mounted keyboard.  I've never heard of silenced Topre keyboards feeling scratchier, and I haven't experienced that myself.  I've owned a couple of factory silenced Topre keyboards and a few that I silenced myself with a couple of different rings (KBDFans and DesKeys).  They've all felt equally smooth, but the silenced ones are a lot more refined sounding, and the silenced Realforce RGB I have in my office right now is about the quietest keyboard there.

Offline evilkidsmeal

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 10:49:10 »
45g Topre is the sweet spot for most people.  I agree that MX browns feel a little light, but 45g Topre switches seems to feel just a little bit heavier, at least to break through the tactility. 

This. Perfect description for the weight of topre in comparison to browns. They feel heavier, but its that initial force required that feels great to type on (for me at least)

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 19:21:45 »
Maybe my perception is skewed from only trying an FC660C, which allegedly uses 50 G instead of the listed 45 G domes.

But I found the '45 G' FC660C to be significantly heavier and draggier than MX Browns. I also have an ABKO K935P with '45 G' domes [that actually measure at around 48-50 G, according to coin-measuring], and it is also heavier and more tactile than MX Brown.

If the OP truly enjoys MX Brown, I may have to be the dissenting voice and suggest 35 G Topre or 30-35 G Niz as being the closest experience.

I would even suggest Variable-weight Topre if the board will strictly be used for typing.

Definitely don't get 55 G. A Topre with BKE Ultra-Light domes [aftermarket] may also be a good option here. But in my view, there's definitely a significant tactility and perceived weight leap from MX Brown to 45 G Topre, especially if you type lightly on the Browns.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 07:51:39 »
I like the silenced. 45 is good because it hardens over time.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 11:21:11 »
45g...it'll feel the most similar to browns weight wise.  Browns have a higher peak weight but lower starting force requirement so you have momentum and it doesn't feel "heavier". 

Variable is great if you use proper typing form....sucks for gaming though since WASD and QWER are used in so many games....

Offline wqsz7xn

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 15:33:42 »
Thanks for the help everyone! I've decided to go for the realforce r2 tkl w/ silenced topres (the limited edition one). I think the black on black lettering looks nice as well.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 20:02:39 »
Silenced Topre is pretty good, and I appreciate the more reasonable noise.

It can be a bit scratchier / shufflier. But I tried out someone's user-silenced, user-lubed 45 G Topre Realforce at a meetup, and it was excellent.

It could be highly beneficial to lube the domes at some point. I'm not familiar with Topre modding, maybe it's best to wear it in before lubing.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 12:54:57 »
I don't think lubing the domes will do anything except have the potential to cause problems...

You might want to lube the sliders but honestly, Topre is pretty damn smooth without that...

Even silenced Topre lose a bit of the scratchy noise once they wear in (they feel smooth but definitely have a shuffle noise which is more noticeable when they're new IMO). 

Personally..I enjoy the sound of Topre....With RF, I think I might like the silent ones a bit better....with HHKB I prefer them to not be silent...

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 14:03:21 »
Yeah, sorry, I should have said sliders. I know nothing about modding Topre.

A worn-in, silenced user-lubed Topre board is something to behold, though.

Offline jamster

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 21:00:09 »
Off topic a bit, but this is veering into the nuances of Topre:

For those of you with extensive MX experience- is there anything that compares in terms of smoothness and strong tactility to stock RF Topre 55? I've looked, ordered a good load of tactile switches to try, and the closest I could come up with falls significantly short (Outemu Sky). The Skies have a strong tactile event, a soft bottom out, similar to Topre 55, but it's not as smooth, and they are wobbly. They're also much weaker, but I have found that with MX springs going heavier just leads to a big ramp up of force towards bottom-out, which I find unpleasant (this is why I don't use MX Black).

I can swap out my Outemus very easily, I just have not come across anything more "Topre-like." I guess I could mod switches if I had a high confidence that they'd be significantly better, my old Ergo Clears are the closest I've ever come, but they still fall short.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 22:15:18 »

For those of you with extensive MX experience- is there anything that compares in terms of smoothness and strong tactility to stock RF Topre 55? I've looked, ordered a good load of tactile switches to try, and the closest I could come up with falls significantly short (Outemu Sky).

Oh, the irony. If only you had tried OUTEMU's latest custom silent tactile: the U4 Boba.

The U4 Boba is a silent tactile for those who thought the Silent Sky didn't have enough ooomph.

The stem is shaped more like a T1 or even a Halo True than the MX Clear of the OUTEMU Sky that you tried.

The tactile bump is 'D' shaped, which means it takes up most of the keystroke. So it more strongly resembles a Topre.

The leaf is more tactile, it tends to make all stems more tactile. And the housing is carefully designed to reduce wobble, and it wobbles far less than OUTEMU Sky. It's also fairly smooth out-of-box, and is designed to be used without lube. [You should still lube the springs.]

Even the stock 62 G spring is more than enough to power the U4 Boba, and you can get it in 68. It will work in the 55 - 78G + range.

I have many of the 62 G Bobas, and they feel closer to my ABKO K935P than any other MX switch. [The ABKO is a Niz EC]. If you prefer the weight of 55 G Topre, you might want to go with the 68 G U4 Boba.

In short, the U4 compares to the Silent Sky by being:
-more tactile
-more like an EC dome switch
-smoother
-less wobbly

Just be sure to order with the tight 'no-slot' tops, if given that option. You can likely order them in pieces from Gazzew.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 22:16:56 by HungerMechanic »

Offline jamster

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 23:01:44 »

For those of you with extensive MX experience- is there anything that compares in terms of smoothness and strong tactility to stock RF Topre 55? I've looked, ordered a good load of tactile switches to try, and the closest I could come up with falls significantly short (Outemu Sky).

Oh, the irony. If only you had tried OUTEMU's latest custom silent tactile: the U4 Boba.

The U4 Boba is a silent tactile for those who thought the Silent Sky didn't have enough ooomph.

The stem is shaped more like a T1 or even a Halo True than the MX Clear of the OUTEMU Sky that you tried.

The tactile bump is 'D' shaped, which means it takes up most of the keystroke. So it more strongly resembles a Topre.

The leaf is more tactile, it tends to make all stems more tactile. And the housing is carefully designed to reduce wobble, and it wobbles far less than OUTEMU Sky. It's also fairly smooth out-of-box, and is designed to be used without lube. [You should still lube the springs.]

Even the stock 62 G spring is more than enough to power the U4 Boba, and you can get it in 68. It will work in the 55 - 78G + range.

I have many of the 62 G Bobas, and they feel closer to my ABKO K935P than any other MX switch. [The ABKO is a Niz EC]. If you prefer the weight of 55 G Topre, you might want to go with the 68 G U4 Boba.

In short, the U4 compares to the Silent Sky by being:
-more tactile
-more like an EC dome switch
-smoother
-less wobbly

Just be sure to order with the tight 'no-slot' tops, if given that option. You can likely order them in pieces from Gazzew.

Thanks. I had been aware of the u4 variant but didn't hunt any down.

Regarding the ABKO comparison, I was under the impression that the tactile event was very muted (cannot remember why now, something about it being a 35g membrane with a certain weight conical spring under it, making it close to linear?)

I'm not after a 'weight' in terms of simple resistance to bottoming out, it's more about the highly pronounced, but still extremely smooth, tactile event.

I'll get some U4 stems(?) and various spring weights, hopefully I can get somewhere with them. Your four points are all pretty much what I am looking for with MX.

Offline cameronmcleod71

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 23:40:18 »
I use an HHKB Pro 2 and a RF 87u 55g on the daily. Before I used topre, I craved tactility and I was a fan of cherry clears. After a long session of typing on clears, my hands always began to hurt. I thought that I would prefer the lighter weight 45g switches on the HHKB, but I found that with topre it is somehow different. For me, the 87u seems to be way more satisfying to type on. The 87u has way more tactility, and it never tires my hands. It's definitely a hard decision though, I could see how some people would prefer the 45g weights. Maybe try out a Leopold if you have the chance because I hear that their 45g switches feel more like 50g.

Offline cameronmcleod71

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 23:52:37 »
Forgot to mention, my HHKB was unsilenced out of the factory, and I actually have two RFs (the 87u I mentioned earlier and a factory silenced 55g R2). I've silenced and lubed my HHKB so I got a decent idea about silenced and unsilenced HHKB, RFs, 55g, and 45g.

If you are going to go for an HHKB, I would recommend going silenced. There is just something about silenced HHKB thocks that sound so great. It is never a boring sound to hear. If you want to try both and you don't mind taking apart your board, you can always try to silence it yourself.

If you go for a 55g RF, I would recommend unsilenced. I feel that the sounds that an unsilenced RF board makes are very relaxing. Somehow, it sounds a lot like rain hitting the ground. Another sound that never gets boring.

Offline jamster

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 02:34:34 »
Forgot to mention, my HHKB was unsilenced out of the factory, and I actually have two RFs (the 87u I mentioned earlier and a factory silenced 55g R2). I've silenced and lubed my HHKB so I got a decent idea about silenced and unsilenced HHKB, RFs, 55g, and 45g.

If you go for a 55g RF, I would recommend unsilenced. I feel that the sounds that an unsilenced RF board makes are very relaxing. Somehow, it sounds a lot like rain hitting the ground. Another sound that never gets boring.

Factory silenced RF doesn't affect the feel of the switches, right? And DIY silencing does, by slightly depressing the domes permanently?

I'm in the "keyboard feels amazing out of the box, don't do anything to potentially ruin it" camp, but have been curious about reducing sound.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 12:12:09 »

Thanks. I had been aware of the u4 variant but didn't hunt any down.

Regarding the ABKO comparison, I was under the impression that the tactile event was very muted (cannot remember why now, something about it being a 35g membrane with a certain weight conical spring under it, making it close to linear?)

I'm not after a 'weight' in terms of simple resistance to bottoming out, it's more about the highly pronounced, but still extremely smooth, tactile event.

I'll get some U4 stems(?) and various spring weights, hopefully I can get somewhere with them. Your four points are all pretty much what I am looking for with MX.

Yeah, the ABKO is known for a muted tactility, as compared with Topre.

I find it to be a 'linear' EC tactility, and others have made similar comments. It's like there's a consistent tactility as you press down, but it's uniform rather than having a significant, sloping 'bump.' Like a tactile, rubbery MX Red.

The U4 Boba is similar to ABKO in that it has a tactile event that takes up most of the keystroke. The so-called 'D-shaped' bump. And it has padded stems, so it bottoms-out kind of like a rubberdome. That's why I say it resembles my 45 G ABKO more than any other MX switch.

As for the ABKO weight, it comes primarily in 35-45 G weights. The 45 G, in the Korean ABKO, seems to be closer to 50 G. But the 35 G Niz really are light. Both types come with 10 G springs you can use to increase the weight by that amount. I think that the 45 G ABKO is naturally 45 G, and not a 'boosted' 35 G, but it may be different in other NIZ models. The 10 G springs are usually optional, and they really only give you enough for the stabilized keys.

Back to the U4 Boba, it's not a miracle switch or anything, it's just closer in feel to an EC rubberdome than most other MX switches. Bobas already have quite a following, as it has become a favourite tactile for many. Since it really is more tactile than most other silent switches.

If you want best results, you should not pick up just the stems. You need the Boba housing. It's optimized for the U4 stem. The Boba housing is very sturdy and tactile, so it presents the kind of results you are looking for. You can often order the housings [with choice of colour and tightness] along with the stems and springs directly from Gazzew, unassembled so that they are easier to build. It's best to use aftermarket springs, though. They like TX and sometimes Spirit. The tactile event and switch design overshadows spring weight.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 13:03:18 »
Also, if you want something like Topre, you might want to consider the 'Bushi' silent tactile.

Some reviewers have said it compares to Topre:

https://www.keebwerk.com/bushi/

I think they are still available at DeskHero.ca | I have no experience with them, though.

Offline jamster

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 21:34:30 »
Back to the U4 Boba, it's not a miracle switch or anything, it's just closer in feel to an EC rubberdome than most other MX switches. Bobas already have quite a following, as it has become a favourite tactile for many. Since it really is more tactile than most other silent switches.

If you want best results, you should not pick up just the stems. You need the Boba housing. It's optimized for the U4 stem. The Boba housing is very sturdy and tactile, so it presents the kind of results you are looking for. You can often order the housings [with choice of colour and tightness] along with the stems and springs directly from Gazzew, unassembled so that they are easier to build. It's best to use aftermarket springs, though. They like TX and sometimes Spirit. The tactile event and switch design overshadows spring weight.

Thanks for this, it was a lot of useful detail!

I looked up Gazzew yesterday and he seems to have exploded out his options, and moved from an enthusiast to an actual business. I'd noticed that he has 'P' and 'D' type stems, figure I'll just get a mix of parts to try out to see if anything appeals to me.

What's the difference between the slot and no slot housing- is it a matter of wobble or is it something else, and what's the 'slot' anyway?

The timing might be good for this, I am halfway through printing a Dactyl Manuform case to test fit, and was thinking that I'd need a bunch of switches to properly test it out.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 02:20:47 »

If you are going to go for an HHKB, I would recommend going silenced. There is just something about silenced HHKB thocks that sound so great. It is never a boring sound to hear. If you want to try both and you don't mind taking apart your board, you can always try to silence it yourself.

Haha..I feel the exact opposite..and to me the HHKB has these little rain drop sounds that I love and why I don't want it silenced...RF is a bit less thocky and doesn't have those little bloops..

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 09:40:30 »

I looked up Gazzew yesterday and he seems to have exploded out his options, and moved from an enthusiast to an actual business. I'd noticed that he has 'P' and 'D' type stems, figure I'll just get a mix of parts to try out to see if anything appeals to me.

What's the difference between the slot and no slot housing- is it a matter of wobble or is it something else, and what's the 'slot' anyway?

The timing might be good for this, I am halfway through printing a Dactyl Manuform case to test fit, and was thinking that I'd need a bunch of switches to properly test it out.

Yeah, Gazzew has been working hard with OUTEMU from what I hear, really going through the design and testing of all sorts of new stems.

The so-called 'P' stems are the "Silent Sky / Silent Forest" or "Silent Tactile." They're called 'P' because the bump is near the top, and limited. [Kind of like Kailh Pro Purple]. It's more about there being a limited, discrete tactile event, followed by a linear keypress. The bump is actually fairly centre-mounted, almost like regular Cherry.

The 'D' stems are called that because the bump is not limited like the 'P' but present through most of the keystroke.

The slot issue is very important. I think the 'slot' refers to clearance for RGB / LED. For serious typing, this is not a consideration, and so you can get a much tighter top with no clearance for lighting - these are the 'tight-tops.' You definitely want the tight-tops. My U4 Bobas were ordered with tight, no-slot tops. And you definitely get very little wobble compared to earlier designs. It's absolutely essential to get some kind of tight no-slot top setup. That's why it's helpful to communicate with Gazzew, and he will ask what you need to do and advise you further.

---

Also, with regard to the Topre discussion, I  can confirm that Realforce 55g sounds awesome, no need to mute that. You buy it for the thock.

[In fact, put it in a thockier case, if you can!] And get MX sliders and put PBT MT3 on it, while you're at it.

But yeah, 55 G Topre is heavy and you'll notice it if you're coming from MX Brown. I think that 55 G Topre is one of those switches that feels awesome at meetups, because it is, but it's for someone with a heavier switch preference [maybe they were using heavy rubber-domes before].

45 G silenced is much more sustainable if you're used to MX tactiles. And the BKE Ultra Lights are a serious consideration.

Offline jamster

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 09:53:21 »
The so-called 'P' stems are the "Silent Sky / Silent Forest" or "Silent Tactile." They're called 'P' because the bump is near the top, and limited. [Kind of like Kailh Pro Purple]. It's more about there being a limited, discrete tactile event, followed by a linear keypress. The bump is actually fairly centre-mounted, almost like regular Cherry.

The 'D' stems are called that because the bump is not limited like the 'P' but present through most of the keystroke.

The slot issue is very important. I think the 'slot' refers to clearance for RGB / LED. For serious typing, this is not a consideration, and so you can get a much tighter top with no clearance for lighting - these are the 'tight-tops.' You definitely want the tight-tops. My U4 Bobas were ordered with tight, no-slot tops. And you definitely get very little wobble compared to earlier designs. It's absolutely essential to get some kind of tight no-slot top setup. That's why it's helpful to communicate with Gazzew, and he will ask what you need to do and advise you further.

Thanks... in that case it turns out I have the P stems already, I've got the Silent Sky/Forrest switches straight from Taobao. They're okay.

I'll have to try both the slot and non-slot versions. My split board had LEDs built in, which I usually dislike but for the split board it's useful as there are blank keycaps deliniated only by colour of LED. If I build another board, it'll be a Dactyl without LEDs.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 20:06:23 »

Thanks... in that case it turns out I have the P stems already, I've got the Silent Sky/Forrest switches straight from Taobao. They're okay.

I'll have to try both the slot and non-slot versions. My split board had LEDs built in, which I usually dislike but for the split board it's useful as there are blank keycaps deliniated only by colour of LED. If I build another board, it'll be a Dactyl without LEDs.

Both stem types are worth modding.

The Silent Sky stems work really well in Cherry MX Clear housings at around 60-62 G. They operate basically as a light tactile at that weight, as you'll be lubing them with 3204, and can be made pretty smooth and bouncy.

[Or you can throw them in Boba housings at 68 G and minimal lube. Should be more tactile]. Don't use the old teal OUTEMU Sky housings.

People have reported success with Silent Sky stems in leftover Halo Clear housings. Good for after making Holy Pandas.

You can either put the U4 stems in Boba housings, or experiment with less tactile housings [Cherry can work, but may conflict with Cherry-profile keycaps]. So far, I haven't had much success with the less-tactile housings, although OUTEMU Blue Ice + Tight Tops may work.

Offline jamster

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 01:58:42 »

Mild necro here- thanks for posting this recommendation earlier this year. I procrastinated for months, then discovered that Gazzew now as a factory-ready switch using the U4 stems (...which now that I read your post in more detail, might be what you are already talking about!). Initial impressions are accurate, these do feel closer to topre than anything else I've come across in an MX design. I'm going to order a load for a board build.

Edit: 'Closer' in terms of tactility feel and a slightly cushioned bottom-out. Still not as smooth, and a totally different sound (higher pitched, a bit 'rattley') but overall still worth pursuing. I'm usually on 55g Realforce, tried both 62g and 68g U4s, and will be going with the latter.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 August 2021, 02:13:15 by jamster »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 August 2021, 16:55:47 »
Yes. There is some fighting over whether U4 Boba really feels like Topre, but it is certainly one of the closest MX switches to Topre [or EC] feel.

For me, I think I'd be comfortable typing on something like 35 G Silenced Topre, so I build U4 Boba with 55-57 G springs and 3204.

Wait till you find out how many variants there are of Boba switches these days. And the Bobagum linear. [Now that one might be more like Niz Plum.] But then again, regular U4 Boba is likely to satisfy your needs.

I'm glad everyone is enjoying U4 Boba, but I wish Gazzew would make a near-linear light-tactile version. Right now, I'm building the previous "Silent Sky" stems in TTC Gold Brown V2 housings. It's more of a Silent Ergo Clear, instead of the "Silent T1" that U4 Boba is.

I should add that U4 Boba switches are actually very smooth for an unlubed silent MX tactile. Most other contenders are less smooth.