Author Topic: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 | GB Closed, all kits will be made!  (Read 56763 times)

Offline grundlemere

[GB] GMK Houhai 后海 | GB Closed, all kits will be made!
« on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 08:20:33 »
GMK Houhai 后海

A sense memory of misspent Beijing nights

Group buy closed, order pending

In the heart of Beijing, tucked behind the Forbidden City thronged with tourists, and the party compound heavily guarded, there is a small lake. At night this lake comes alive with neon lights piercing the city haze, advertising every pleasure under heaven, plied by pedal boats in the summer and speed skaters in the winter, redolent with the sights, sounds, and smells of the city. They call it Houhai (pron. HOH-high): 后海.  In this place, a photo negative of Pleasure Island, the ancient, the modern, and the futuristic live side by side.

GMK Houhai is an ancient-futurist keycap set design inspired by the sights of the Chinese capital at night. Rendered in a mix of custom RAL and GMK stock colors, GMK Houhai (pron. HOH-high) evokes the Beijing night sky in a warm, hazy grey, with alpha legends in the fluorescent red of the Chinese city sidewalk reflecting neons after a rain, and modifiers in shades of cobalt, aqua, jade, gold, and clean white that can be found in both the ornate woodwork of historic sites and in the kaleidoscope of city lights.

The GMK Houhai set legends are based around the Cangjie (仓颉) typing system, first among many methods of typing in Chinese using Chinese characters. The set is fully functional for Cangjie typists, as well as Pinyin and Latin character users.

See a full gallery of board renders

Follow me on IG @fort_stevens for photos and project updates, and feel free to reach out on Discord at grundlemere#1126 with questions or to say hello.

Timeline

Production expected to complete at 48 weeks from order placement in September 2021, expected to ship from manufacturer in Q4 2022.

Updates

• July 27: GB thread posted
  • August 2: Posted vendor links
  • September 6: Posted closure information

Vendors

US: Cannonkeys
China: Zfrontier
SE Asia: iLumkb
Europe: CandyKeys
Australia: Daily Clack
Canada: Deskhero.ca
UK (non-EU): Prototypist.net

Kits

In the base kit, Latin legends and Cangjie Chinese sublegends, while the numrow displays Chinese numeral sublegends, all rendered in brilliant fluorescent red on hazy dark grey. The numpad features complex financial characters used on money and in transaction records to prevent forgery. Simplified Chinese (as used in Beijing) and Traditional Chinese (used in overseas territories and increasingly popular on the mainland) base kits are availale. Perhaps most eye-catching, the other kits offered include clean Cangjie monolegend alphas + Chinese character arrow sets to complete the look, and a novelty kit I hope will knock your socks off. Novelties are rendered in seven kit colors, with the famous sights, legendary bites, and urban highlights of the Chinese capital...plus a ghost story.

燕京 Yānjīng (Capital of Swallows) SC base kit

琉璃廠 Liúlíchăng (Culture Street) TC base kit

小吃 Xiăochī (Little Snacks) novelties kit

笔顺 Bĭshùn (Stroke Order) Cangjie monolegend alphas kit

太空人 Tàikōngrén (Taikonaut) spacebars kit

See a full gallery of kit renders

Pricing

This is a higher-end set for sure, but well in line with both our costs and the market. In fact, compared to GMK Shanshui, most of the kit pricing is comparable, as I had hoped and all but promised. Enormous base kits, including six total colors (three custom), an alt character numpad, generous kitting, and numerous accent keys, are only $5 USD more than the monochrome Shanshui. The alt monolegend alphas kit is in fact significantly cheaper this time around, while the spacebars, with more colors, are a bit more expensive.

The real sticker shock may come from the novelties kit. It's my favorite kit and certainly the one that caught most people's eyes when this IC first launched. It is a super-premium novelties kit, perhaps the most complex ever rendered in doubleshot. Twenty-four brand-new molds, 16 color combinations, seven total colors including a novelty-exclusive custom midnight purple, and 36 pieces altogether? It was never going to be cheap.

I can tell you that all seven vendors and I worked very closely to try other options for a more limited, simplified, and streamlined kit, and we all agreed instead to YOLO it and give you what was promised. This kit will need your support to get made, but I also feel like we will be seeing a lot of regrettable r/mm FOMO buys when it ships.

What can I say? It's a premium set at a premium price point. You're worth it.

KitsCannon.keys
(prices in USD)
Zfrontier/English
(prices in RMB/USD)
iLumkb
(prices in SGD)
CandyKeys
(prices in EUR, incl. VAT)
Prototypist.net
(prices in GBP, incl. VAT)
Deskhero.ca
(prices in CAD)
Daily Clack
(prices in AUD)
燕京 Yānjīng (Capital of Swallows) SC base kit (162pcs)$139.99¥978/$165$204€144£125$184.99$196
琉璃廠 Liúlíchăng (Calligraphy Street) TC base kit (162pcs)$139.99¥978/$165$204€144£125$184.99$196
小吃 Xiăochī (Little Snacks) novelties kit (36pcs)$94.99¥640/$105$139€94£82$124.99$129
笔顺 Bĭshùn (Stroke Order) Cangjie monolegend alphas kit (64pcs)$64.99¥445/$72$95€62£56$85.99$88
太空人 Tàikōngrén (Taikonaut) spacebars kit (15pcs)$36.99¥245/$40$54€37£32$48.99$50

RAMA Collabs

Deskmats

Collaborations

Luxe Cables for a custom aviator cable
RAMA WORKS
Destroyer Caps
Landcaps
Mastonon Caps
Sodie Caps
Lo-Ki Caps
Miniworld
rtg caps
Frumpzkeys
Bhomasx Caps
Sway Caps
Hungry Hustlas
Zero Keycaps
A.X Studios
Froueloop
Fraktal Kaps
Rejecks Caps

Acknowledgments

NathanAlphaMan for the gorgeous renders and the critical design feedback early in the process
Exclusive for the the cultural translation help and the permission to use his beautiful e8.5 in our renders
My sibling, Maho, for the defining artistic style of the icons
The MK Community for supporting GMK Shanshui 山水 and helping me make this set a reality
David, Alex,Louis, Jerrold, and Phatty for their immediate passion for this project and being the best hypemen
Nero and the Matrix Labs team for talking me out of a bad decision
Digital Carpentryfor being my first partner and my biggest sounding board through all of this
energieschleuder for convincing me this could really happen
The people of Beijing for opening my eyes to what is possible

Thanks for reading this far and thank you for your feedback.

Show your support for GMK Houhai with this sig banner!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107034.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/hTyx9ji.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 September 2021, 10:05:05 by grundlemere »

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 - Live August 1-September 1
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 08:51:14 »
Reserved

Offline DigitalCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 09:12:23 »
So hot, can't wait!

Offline shutuphamish

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 10:03:47 »
my wallet is pain but my heart is joy

Offline MaxineCh

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 00:30:27 »
串門 means to drop by for a visit. don't see how it means run?

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 09:24:15 »
串門 means to drop by for a visit. don't see how it means run?

只是开玩笑的。如果你出去串门的话,你最好带足好够串!

Me and my friend Jake from Beijing just thought it was kind of funny to have the common international exit sign modified to represent someone running through the door in a panic carrying chuan'r on his way to visit friends. Often when I go 串门 I like to go 吃串!

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 03:07:02 »
祝 Groupbuy 好運!  :thumb:

Offline PancakeGoon

• *•° tape hiss *•~
    • goonf!sh.beets~
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 July 2021, 03:17:29 »
God, what a game-changing, just unspeakably incredible keyset. And another for GMK!

How unfortunate.

Offline ryogawa

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 04:32:16 »
Looks like the links for candykeys aren't up yet. Did they forget?

Incidentally that's a rather steep novelty kit. I guess it's the number of keys in the kit and the molding?

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:22:21 »
Looks like the links for candykeys aren't up yet. Did they forget?

Incidentally that's a rather steep novelty kit. I guess it's the number of keys in the kit and the molding?

Products are up on Candykeys now: https://candykeys.com/search/houhai but no main page

There's an explanation in the post about the cost of the novelty kit. Basically this is the most complex novelty kit ever doubleshotted, so far as we know. We tried some ways to simplify it but decided to YOLO it.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:23:38 »
God, what a game-changing, just unspeakably incredible keyset. And another for GMK!

How unfortunate.

I mean, thank you for the kind words! I hope the beauty of the set changes your mind. I made these legends for GMK before the delays got this out of hand, and by god, I'm getting my money's worth out of them. I think, when it's all said and done, it's going to be an incredible set, and worth the wait.

Offline raymondzzd

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:27:04 »
what are the lengths of left bottom row of spacebar kit? thanks

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:29:14 »
what are the lengths of left bottom row of spacebar kit? thanks

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 - Houhai is LIVE!
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 09:31:26 »
Everyone, all vendor links except iLumkb are live in the post above! Keep the questions and comments coming.

Offline raymondzzd

Re: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 | Houhai is LIVE!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 02 August 2021, 10:12:15 »
2*3u, 2*2u and 2*1u, these are perfect. Thank you!  :thumb:
I am planning for these to go on Gok's Type K.

Offline MortyGoldy

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 August 2021, 16:16:58 »
Been waiting on this for SUCH a long time!

Glad it finally went through :)  Grabbed the Cangjie and Novelties kits.

GLWGB!

Offline Firebear31

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 03:02:08 »
let's goooooo!

Got myself the SC Set, RAMA Duck and novelties  :)

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 August 2021, 12:26:17 »
let's goooooo!

Got myself the SC Set, RAMA Duck and novelties  :)

2*3u, 2*2u and 2*1u, these are perfect. Thank you!  :thumb:
I am planning for these to go on Gok's Type K.

Thanks everybody for the support! You're making me blush. I'm having a lot of fun with this GB. It's been so much pressure to get it launched and finally out to the world and I'm taking as much of an opportunity to enjoy it as possible. Great to meet so many fans of the work!

Been waiting on this for SUCH a long time!

Glad it finally went through :)  Grabbed the Cangjie and Novelties kits.

GLWGB!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 09:39:15 »

Sweet new render from NathanAlphaMan!

We are on track for all kits to be made, except for the Bishun Cangjie Alphas kit. That kit needs your support but for all the other kits, including both base kits, buy with confidence!

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 |TWO WEEKS LEFT! Base Kits and Novs Will Be Made!
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 14:57:02 »
Here's the GMK Houhai 后海 progress update you've been waiting for: both base kits and the novelties kit will be made, as will both RAMAs and deskmats! If you were waiting to see if these kits would get made before joining the GB, wait no longer, we have arrived! Purchase with confidence and know that despite the widely known GMK delays, our manufacturer in Germany is poised to move this set through as quickly as possible once global resin supply issues are resolved. With their additional manufacturing capacity, it's hopeful they will catch up soon. I'll be waiting just as eagerly as you will.

Where the set needs support is for the Cangjie Monolegend Alphas and the Spacebars kits. We still need about 100 alpha kits and 75 spacebar kits to reach MOQ. If you were on the fence about either of these kits, you can help by choosing to support them now. With the base kit and the monolegends, you can easily cover two boards, and the spacebars kit brings 40s and other minimal layout support to the table with the generous kitting in the base.

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 |FINAL WEEK! Base Kits and Novs Will Be Made!
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 25 August 2021, 10:07:24 »
We have hit the final week of the GMK Houhai GB! Everything will be made except, right now, for the spacebars kit and the Cangjie alphas kit. Spacebars kit is close, and if I had to guess will be made in the final week, while the Cangjie alphas kit is up to you.

Here's one more look at a render of the Iron165 with the clean, simple, Cangjie alphas kit to remind you of the possibilities at stake for your board.

Finally, here's a look at one of my favorite artisan collabs with Landcaps. Check out my latest IG post for more awesome collabs. Plenty more to come, including Sodiecaps and Wildstory Caps, just announced!

« Last Edit: Wed, 25 August 2021, 10:09:12 by grundlemere »

Offline LordHaveMercy

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 21:44:45 »
Grundle, the Novelty set price is killing me at $95 USD!! I’m happy I finally bought into this, but jeez those novelties are beyond what I thought they were going to cost.

Excellent set overall! Looking forward to having this on my desk sometime next year! 😄

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 August 2021, 09:10:17 »
Grundle, the Novelty set price is killing me at $95 USD!! I’m happy I finally bought into this, but jeez those novelties are beyond what I thought they were going to cost.

Excellent set overall! Looking forward to having this on my desk sometime next year! 😄

Yeah, it's more than I would have liked for them to be, and we certainly tried to keep the costs down. At a certain point, though, the difference between an $80 kit and a $95 kit just isn't going to dissuade too many people and we were concerned that because so many people bought into the kit on the strength of the novelties then delivering anything less than the best would have felt like a betrayal. I hope everyone loves it, truly. It is as things stand the single most popular kit, so it seems like the gamble paid off. Thank you for your support and I truly understand that it's not easy dropping that much coin on a novelties kit! I hope it's worth it when it arrives. It's certainly my favorite thing I've ever worked on.

Offline unixb0y

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 08:38:17 »
Hey grundle! How many alphas and space bars are now missing? Hopefully we can make those happen! I would love an all-chinese keycap set so much, man...  :)

Offline ashendarien

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 09:48:44 »
I went in on alphas....that clean look is too nice. Really hoping they pull thru!

Offline unixb0y

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 10:54:11 »
I went in on alphas....that clean look is too nice. Really hoping they pull thru!

Sameeee and very unique - never seen before (did any GMK set so far have all chinese alphas (not just sublegend)?)!

Offline ashendarien

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 12:58:57 »
I believe GMK Shanshui has the same monolegend option, but I've not seen a base kit.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 10:03:52 »

Hey grundle! How many alphas and space bars are now missing? Hopefully we can make those happen! I would love an all-chinese keycap set so much, man...  :)

I don't have a commitment from vendors but I believe the spacebars are out of the woods, once final sales and extras come in this week. Alphas are going to depend on this final few days of sales...we will know soon. It's going to be down to the wire.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 10:07:31 »

Sameeee and very unique - never seen before (did any GMK set so far have all chinese alphas (not just sublegend)?)!

I believe GMK Shanshui has the same monolegend option, but I've not seen a base kit.

There have been a few sets to use the monolegend alphas as a child kit, including Shanshui (which guaranteed the manufacture of the molds), and GMK Panda and GMK Fenglisu are planning child kits. I think a monolegend Cangjie alphas base kit would be risky, given that most users are not touch typists and very few users are still well versed in Cangjie typing. Someone may try it and I would encourage it, but there would definitely have to be another base kit option!

Offline unixb0y

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 18:07:31 »

There have been a few sets to use the monolegend alphas as a child kit, including Shanshui (which guaranteed the manufacture of the molds), and GMK Panda and GMK Fenglisu are planning child kits. I think a monolegend Cangjie alphas base kit would be risky, given that most users are not touch typists and very few users are still well versed in Cangjie typing. Someone may try it and I would encourage it, but there would definitely have to be another base kit option!
Alright, fingers crossed haaard man! I touch type since I'm a kid, but like the looks of legends on keycaps. And damn a wholly Chinese keycap set with latin alphas and just chinese subs, it would be a shame  :D

Offline jkteoh

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 30 August 2021, 19:16:09 »
Fingers crossed here as well. I jumped in on Shanshui monolegends but I really did that so that we'd get Houhai monolegends haha.

Thanks Grundlemere for all your work!

Offline unixb0y

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 08:47:03 »
Fingers crossed here as well. I jumped in on Shanshui monolegends but I really did that so that we'd get Houhai monolegends haha.

Damn that's some dedication  ;D Getting one keycap set just so there's the chance that another will be made ^^

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 31 August 2021, 09:25:11 »

KING

Offline lovechan

• one for all,all for one,I'm lovechan,doing better.
    • HLZZ Keycaps
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 04:50:42 »
 :))
When I saw " 串门” and “小心鸭”,big smile on my face! Very funny!
And I think its a phrase with a double meaning,  “串门” implies "肉串”/“烤串”(one kind of xiaochi)and points to Chinese culture“拜访朋友”;“小心鸭”more lmao, "小心”means “be careful”,“鸭”means“duck”(implies Beijing Roasted Duck)also its pron refers to “呀” (Interjection,like"ah” in English),if you put them together like “小心鸭”,its pron likes “小心呀”. Very humorous expression and full of wisdom.
In addition, Gmk houhai it shows the Chinese Beijing City in the eyes of foreigners,it is an objective portrayal and subjective expression.
So... I am all in,looking forward to this, cant wait to get my gmk houhai.

加油!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 10:03:04 »
:))
When I saw " 串门” and “小心鸭”,big smile on my face! Very funny!
And I think its a phrase with a double meaning,  “串门” implies "肉串”/“烤串”(one kind of xiaochi)and points to Chinese culture“拜访朋友”;“小心鸭”more lmao, "小心”means “be careful”,“鸭”means“duck”(implies Beijing Roasted Duck)also its pron refers to “呀” (Interjection,like"ah” in English),if you put them together like “小心鸭”,its pron likes “小心呀”. Very humorous expression and full of wisdom.
In addition, Gmk houhai it shows the Chinese Beijing City in the eyes of foreigners,it is an objective portrayal and subjective expression.
So... I am all in,looking forward to this, cant wait to get my gmk houhai.

加油!

This makes me smile so much! I am humbled that my play on words is appreciated by Chinese users and that you find my cultural translation of my experience in Beijing both true to life and subjectively expressive. Your comments mean a lot and I thank you for your support and for your kind words!

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Houhai 后海 | GB Closed, all kits will be made!
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 10:08:25 »
Final GB period update: We are closed, and all kits will be made! Thanks to everyone for your HUGE support of the pricy novelties kit, and your support of the monolegend alphas kit. It's the soul of the project and I'm glad we took a gamble on making something so special. We hope that your wait for this set is well worth it and that you absolutely love what we've come up with.

We are negotiating final extras and plan to place our orders with manufacturers later this month. In the meantime, I will be working on a few fun Houhai-related merchandise projects, potentially to include another deskmat, enamel pins, and even clothing items. Stay tuned for more info there and please feel free to share your ideas!

Offline jkteoh

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 11:02:24 »
YESSSSSS. I was so worried about the monolegend kit. God I'm so happy that got made.

Offline unixb0y

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 September 2021, 07:55:23 »
Final GB period update: We are closed, and all kits will be made! Thanks to everyone for your HUGE support of the pricy novelties kit, and your support of the monolegend alphas kit. It's the soul of the project and I'm glad we took a gamble on making something so special. We hope that your wait for this set is well worth it and that you absolutely love what we've come up with.
Heck yeah!! This makes me so happy! An all-chinese keycap set... this will look sooo unique.

We are negotiating final extras and plan to place our orders with manufacturers later this month. In the meantime, I will be working on a few fun Houhai-related merchandise projects, potentially to include another deskmat, enamel pins, and even clothing items. Stay tuned for more info there and please feel free to share your ideas!
Oh nice! Where will those projects be sold? At the normal Houhai vendors or somewhere else?

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 13:37:58 »
Any update on RAMA's DUCK!? 
TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline ashendarien

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 03:40:07 »
Any update on RAMA's DUCK!?

Did those ever ship? I don't remember seeing them in the wild.

Offline ComfyK

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 27 April 2023, 19:54:27 »
After nearly 2 years, finally received my GMK Houhai set!

Just a couple of things:

-the white novelty keycap (with the red logo of what looks like a Chinese vampire with a seal stuck on their forehead, same logo on R1 of novelties that's black logo on red keycap) - the logo isn't 100% symmetrical. The left side of the vampire seems to have a gap from their face to their hat vs the right side. It's a bit annoying that it's not symmetrical, maybe GMK weren't able to do this properly? Strange cause the rest of the novelties look perfect.
-Overall color on base kit isn't as saturated as the renders. Was expecting a really saturated and poppy color set. It still looks great but wish it was more saturated (just like in the renders).

Overall a great set!

Offline Ranker2

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 02 August 2023, 10:18:32 »
Did the Ramas ever get made and shipped?
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 August 2023, 10:20:09 by Ranker2 »

Offline ashendarien

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 August 2023, 19:46:27 »
Did the Ramas ever get made and shipped?

They did, although they're now Hibis! Imo they came out pretty well.