Author Topic: Vintage style keyboard kits similar-ish to Class80?  (Read 4139 times)

Offline hippo008

Vintage style keyboard kits similar-ish to Class80?
« on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 19:53:38 »
I am pretty bummed I missed out on the Class80 groupbuy as that board is an ideal board in my eyes. Its got the classic styling, interesting colors, high quality construction and size that I really enjoy. I am a systems administrator and I need the function row in my daily tasks so I prefer the TKL or 75% layouts. The Class80 ticks all the boxes and I just missed it. If anybody has one with a winkey in red or beige im a buyer  :cool:

What other classic styled keyboards are out there like that? The NCR-80 v3 seems like an OK option but thats a cheaper board. Theres some interesting 75% options on Amazon but I am not sure I trust the quality.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 January 2023, 20:01:59 by hippo008 »

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Vintage style keyboard kits similar-ish to Class80?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 20:35:59 »
If only you could get away w/o function keys, the Command65 would be perfect:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112938.0

There were some plateless TKLs and suchlike styled in the classic Cherry format by JER. You can look into the JER-A06 and JER J80, although I'm not sure either of them are in current production.

The NCR-80 is a cheaper board, but it's good for some purposes. The case is really resonant for clicky switches, if you like those. It also functions okay as a silent board, if you fill it with the optional dampener. I also see people using it with classic linears like Cherry Blacks or super-smooth Tealios. Seems the plateless format is well adapted to that, according to some.

Offline hippo008

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 21:40:51 »
The Command65 is pretty nice. The Bluetooth option would be awesome. Too bad it didnt have the Function row or a metal body :(

I have heard that the NCR plays well with board mounted linear switches. Maybe with some mods and some nice linears the could be a nice board.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 January 2023, 10:42:58 »
The NCR-80 may look cheap, but I see it as classic-styled. It really is built in the way of old Cherry, at least on the outside.

The plastic won't crack or come apart on its own. Without dampening, it is very light and easily moveable, probably a goal of the original boards.

So I think it fulfills the role of a classic G80-style board very well.

If you want luxury, you can use the best parts - smooth hand-built linears + the best stabilizers [TX, Zeal or C3 V3]. I have experience with three of them, and there's no in-built defects: switches and keycaps sit straight on the board, and stabilizers work well if built properly. The LEDs work perfectly, and the case can easily handle aftermarket cables [if you want something fancy].

The adjustable feet are another issue - they feel as if they shouldn't be toggled too much.

Anyway, the cases go great with expensive PBT like OG Cherry or CRP, as well as GMK and other high-end ABS, and high-profile like MT3. So these can be really dolled up. I've even seen switch LEDs installed on them.

Offline Karley Bruen

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 06:46:36 »
Yes, there are several vintage style keyboard kits that are similar to the Class80. The Atreus, ErgoDox EZ, and Kinesis Advantage are all kits that offer a vintage look and feel. They all feature mechanical switches and ergonomic designs, making them great for typing comfort. Additionally, they all have programmable layers, allowing you to customize the keys and macros. You can also find other vintage style kits such as the Alps64, HHKB Pro2, and Poker3.