Author Topic: How Do You Suffer Flaky Buyers on Classifieds?  (Read 4436 times)

Offline morpheus

How Do You Suffer Flaky Buyers on Classifieds?
« on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:27:01 »
So, I'm trying to sell something in classifieds, and a user pays me, then decides to opt out after paying.
I give him a good deal, and he says he wants his money back because he saw another deal, after inconveniencing me.

Is this a common thing you've experienced here? And how do you deal with it?

Would like to know how you dealt with such experiences.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: How Do You Suffer Flaky Buyers on Classifieds?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:31:47 »
I personally have not had this problem, thankfully but I have seen a few threads lately where people list things as sold and have to go back and start over so to speak, assuming the buyer backed out of those.

As long as you have not shipped the item, refund the money and don't sell to that person again :-X

But that is bad taste for the buyer, people should research and be sure before they pay.

« Last Edit: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:33:40 by SpAmRaY »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:35:16 »
I've bought and sold quite a lot on GH classifieds at this point, probably close to 40 transactions. I've never had anything like this happen, but I can imagine being quite frustrated if it did. I agree with Ray's advice though. I'd probably insist that the buyer cover any PayPal fees incurred as well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 11:36:19 »
Flaky buyer goes on personal blacklist and leave negative feedback on Heatware, if applicable.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:09:58 »
Flaky buyer goes on personal blacklist and leave negative feedback on Heatware, if applicable.

Yup this. Refund them their money like ray said then personal blacklist.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:20:42 »

Is there like a statute of limitations for refunds?
What's to prevent anyone to ask for their money back (PayPal), let's say 3 days or 1 week, or 1 month, or 1 year after the transaction?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:23:49 »

What's to prevent anyone to ask for their money back (PayPal), let's say 3 days or 1 week, or 1 month, or 1 year after the transaction?

Paypal is usually 45 days maybe thats to dispute...see captains response in the post below this one.

(Unless they are really scammy and file a credit card chargeback, that depends on the credit card company policy for length of time.)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:23:59 »

There's a window on PayPal as to when you can request a refund. Window is 60 days after your purchase and then you can't ask for refunds. The window for opening a dispute (i.e you didn't get the product you thought you bought) is 45 days. There's no controls like that on GeekHack.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:35:07 »

There's a window on PayPal as to when you can request a refund. Window is 60 days after your purchase and then you can't ask for refunds. The window for opening a dispute (i.e you didn't get the product you thought you bought) is 45 days. There's no controls like that on GeekHack.

If there are no statute of limitations and controls on Geekhack, then can I defer to PayPal rules, or is it just ruled by GH's Buyer Beware rule?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:38:28 »
Personally if I sell someone something and it arrives and is in working order I see no reason they should ask for a refund just because they don't like it etc.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:44:47 »

If there are no statute of limitations and controls on Geekhack, then can I defer to PayPal rules, or is it just ruled by GH's Buyer Beware rule?

GH's rule is Buyer Beware. Anything concerning your payment can be run by PayPals rules. So in this case, defer to PayPal rules.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:45:00 »
Personally if I sell someone something and it arrives and is in working order I see no reason they should ask for a refund just because they don't like it etc.

But what about the off chance that they do?
What if they break something after receiving an item, and then say that it's it's not working, and then ask for a refund?
What can I do in that situation?

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:47:05 »

What if they break something after receiving an item, and then say that it's it's not working, and then ask for a refund?

paypal rules would be as long as he returns the item to you, you need to refund him.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:52:27 »

paypal rules would be as long as he returns the item to you, you need to refund him.

Even if the buyer breaks something and reports it falsely as broken or otherwise?
In which case, I would have to refund him, on top of having a broken item.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 12:56:30 »
This is an issue with all goods sold via PayPal. You could insist that everyone send money as a gift, but a buyer could still initiate a chargeback by paying with a credit card. As a seller, you ultimately have to trust in the goodness of humanity to some degree.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 13:07:14 »
This is an issue with all goods sold via PayPal. You could insist that everyone send money as a gift, but a buyer could still initiate a chargeback by paying with a credit card. As a seller, you ultimately have to trust in the goodness of humanity to some degree.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 13:12:18 »

Even if the buyer breaks something and reports it falsely as broken or otherwise?

I did an issue once, sold a very nice and much loved key set to what I call a 'zero poster' and somehow two stems cracked/seperated a few weeks after they received the caps....of course this was after they admitted they tried orings...they didnt' neccesarily ask for a refund but they could have and they could have publicly raised an issue with me and then it is one persons word against another.

I didn't have to help them but I got them replacement caps (thanks to some awesome GB organizers who went above and beyond) because I do think it is a good idea to have a good reputation and to try to help people, but that can lead people to take advantage of others sadly.

^^ basically this, I try to sell to people are here, who participate. I'm always cautious when someone joined the same day they want to drop $$$$ on my stuff.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 15:15:40 »

Show Image

only way to guarantee no funny business is deal in person for cash.
Every other option will always result in some form of possible scam.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 15:26:47 »

In person you might get robbed. :-X

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 20:46:22 »

well crap, just keep everything you buy then,  **** selling

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 21:08:27 »

well crap, just keep everything you buy then,  **** selling

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 21:25:56 »
I backed out on a deal recently. Jumped real fast then regretted it. It was about twenty minutes later I asked the guy if I could back out. Gave him the option to say no. Felt like a jerk but it happens. He was polite about it. I did plenty of deals here back in the day. So I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:11:14 »

Regrettably, yes.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:30:59 »

I did an issue once, sold a very nice and much loved key set to what I call a 'zero poster' and somehow two stems cracked/seperated a few weeks after they received the caps....of course this was after they admitted they tried orings...they didnt' neccesarily ask for a refund but they could have and they could have publicly raised an issue with me and then it is one persons word against another.

I didn't have to help them but I got them replacement caps (thanks to some awesome GB organizers who went above and beyond) because I do think it is a good idea to have a good reputation and to try to help people, but that can lead people to take advantage of others sadly.

^^ basically this, I try to sell to people are here, who participate. I'm always cautious when someone joined the same day they want to drop $$$$ on my stuff.

Yup, have a good rep, don’t be known as ScamRay…

BTW, mind telling you more about your cracked keysets? The reason I'm asking, is I wanna figure out what keysets (made by who) are so lousy they can't even accept o-rings.

For all the flimsiness of cooler master keycaps, I don't think they have ever suffered any stem cracking before. (Typed to death or cracked on the top/side, yes.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 22:33:57 »
I backed out on a deal recently. Jumped real fast then regretted it. It was about twenty minutes later I asked the guy if I could back out. Gave him the option to say no. Felt like a jerk but it happens. He was polite about it. I did plenty of deals here back in the day. So I don't think it's that big of a deal.

All depends on how you say, honestly. If you're asking something reasonable, and you're being polite and giving the other guy the option to back out, I see no problem with it. If you're demanding a refund, and talking about better deals that obviously don't exist, it would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth.
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:21:58 »

All depends on how you say, honestly. If you're asking something reasonable, and you're being polite and giving the other guy the option to back out, I see no problem with it. If you're demanding a refund, and talking about better deals that obviously don't exist, it would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth.
My situation is I have money to buy one set. Jumped on a set real quick because I have been stalking to classifieds for a week. Then realized I got impatient. But yeah if he would have said he wasn't cool with it because I already paid I would have been fine with that.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 March 2014, 23:52:52 »
I guess each situation is different.  I got something from a listing here months ago then read more about it and realized it was going to be a 'defective' product for my purposes and asked for a refund within 5 minutes of paying. To compensate for my inconsiderate action, I told the seller to keep some portion of the amount I paid, so he got some cash out of the inconvenience, and he agreed (but I said that if he did not want to refund, I would stick with the purchase, since it was my fault for not researching it fully).  Needless to say I've been checking many times before getting anything after that.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:08:37 »
btw i've had this done b4 on an ebay listing
my brother somehow got to my computer and onto ebay when he was young and bought something, it was like $10 bucks

i emailed the dude apologizing for it and offered to pay him the listing fee, like $3 bucks

he accepted it and was very understanding about it lol.

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 14:22:49 »
Honestly, once the money has changed hands IMO it's on the person who bought the product without doing research. These are classifieds, there is no price match guarantee. If said person is unhappy with their purchase, they can flip it for what they paid. I would always be as reasonable as possible, but if something is in the mail then as far as I'm concerned the transaction is done and you have to live with the buyer's remorse.
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:27:09 »
Honestly, once the money has changed hands IMO it's on the person who bought the product without doing research. These are classifieds, there is no price match guarantee. If said person is unhappy with their purchase, they can flip it for what they paid. I would always be as reasonable as possible, but if something is in the mail then as far as I'm concerned the transaction is done and you have to live with the buyer's remorse.
I agree once its in the mail its a done deal.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:28:23 »
imo once the money changes hands don't go asking for a refund

anytime before that nobody gets hurt

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 20:50:04 »

I see this as any other negotiation, where interested parties may reach common ground, in the benefit, or at least, no harm for both. To reach a smooth transaction is always the best, but it cannot be always reached. With that in mind, any mutual agreement may work. In other words, I think there is no a rule of thumb for theses cases.

From a personal perspective If I have agreed to buy something, I try to stick with it, that is why I prefer to think first, and to commit later. I have lost some opportunities, but I prefer it, being that way.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 21:11:34 »
Geez. This makes me feel kinda ****ty about backing out of a couple things, albeit without paying for either of them, one because I didn't pay on time for a group buy and I didn't want to guy to try to find an extra, and the other because I had procrastinated way too long on paying and the member basically left the community.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:26:21 »
Honestly, it depends upon what was offered. Classified cover such a broad range that any blanket statements would likely encounter a plethora of situations in which they were inappropriate. I do believe that it is the seller's responsibility to declare an item "as-is, no refunds" if they want the buyer to assume the risk, but that seller should also expect to get much less money for items sold as such, since the seller has shunted the associated costs of that risk.

If the classified was listed as "as-is" *and* the description was accurate, then the buyer has no reason to complain once the transaction is complete. Example, seller lists, "XT Arabic keyboard, no way to test, unknown condition, sold as-is" and upon receiving it the buyer requests a refund "because there's no way to plug it into an iPad", then yeah, that's the buyer's fault since the seller never said it would. If, on the other hand, the buyer receives it and the back of the case is one big melted scorch mark, then the condition was misrepresented and a refund would be appropriate.

On the other hand, if the unit was not listed as-is, and the unit fails under normal use within a reasonable amount of time (30 days of purchase seems usual), I don't think requesting a refund is out of line, as the seller sold defective goods -- presumably unknowningly, I'm assuming no way to demonstrate malice from either party. Does that suck for the seller? Sure, but that's also part of the cost of doing business, and should be worked into a seller's prices; it's stupid to bet against entropy, something will always fail. The seller would also be responsible for shipping costs, transaction fees, etc, since again, they sold defective goods, and these costs should be worked into prices (or accepted as a gamble on the seller's part).

As far as a buyer "finding a better deal" -- that's a tougher needle to thread. If the item was not sold as-is and the buyer returns the item in the same condition, again, within a reasonable amount of time, then there's no reason for the seller to refuse a refund. The buyer would be responsible for getting the unit back to the seller (shipping costs, insurance, etc), but the seller would be responsible for any money transaction costs (PayPal fees, credit card percentage, the stamp to mail back the envelope full of cash, whatever), since it was the buyer's decision to rescind the transaction, but the seller's choice for how to accept funding.

On the whole though, the onus will always fall more heavily on the seller, since a reputation for being unreliable in any way hurts a seller far more than a buyer.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 14:20:34 »
buyer remorse sucks, thats why stores have fast checkout lines, GET THEIR MONEY! computer store i worked for years ago in ny had superfast cashiers. we were also allowed to "cut" the lines if we walked a customer to the next cashier, cuz **** it we worked on commission and wanted to make sure this computer sale went through before the customer thought more. (thinking customers are annoying, at least to salesmen) unfortunately our payment processors were pretty stringent, unless it was amex, you'd probably have to talk on the phone with your credit card company (cashiers would call and hand the phone over).

also having an ebay store sucks, ESPECIALLY ebay where idiots bid and back out, **** them.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 04:25:35 »
buyer remorse sucks, thats why stores have fast checkout lines, GET THEIR MONEY! computer store i worked for years ago in ny had superfast cashiers. we were also allowed to "cut" the lines if we walked a customer to the next cashier, cuz **** it we worked on commission and wanted to make sure this computer sale went through before the customer thought more. (thinking customers are annoying, at least to salesmen) unfortunately our payment processors were pretty stringent, unless it was amex, you'd probably have to talk on the phone with your credit card company (cashiers would call and hand the phone over).

also having an ebay store sucks, ESPECIALLY ebay where idiots bid and back out, **** them.

Wait, you're allowed to back out AFTER winning a bid on Ebay? I thought you were obligated to pay no matter what.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 05:27:36 »
tons of ppl back out on ebay, i think you get like 2 or 3 back outs (and it goes to the next highest bidder) and they flag your account.

just look up all those stupid bids on like old nintendo ****

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 05:35:07 »
Wait, you're allowed to back out AFTER winning a bid on Ebay? I thought you were obligated to pay no matter what.
You're not allowed to, but what are they going to do? Ebay its self doesn't have your payment information. Its like they say;
They can do all they like to sellers because there will always be someone to sell to the market, they need to keep the buyers there, to create the market.
Thus they side with the buyers so much.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 06:06:51 »
tons of ppl back out on ebay, i think you get like 2 or 3 back outs (and it goes to the next highest bidder) and they flag your account.

just look up all those stupid bids on like old nintendo ****

So, what constitutes "backing out?" Is it like, you win a bid, then choose not to pay?

After 3 times of "backing out", what happens?

When you say they "flag your account," does that mean they give you a negative rating?