Author Topic: How do you track group buys you have joined?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
How do you track group buys you have joined?
« on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 18:59:41 »
I keep forgetting what group buys I have joined, which I have paid, which have stalled, what has shipped when.

I try to send myself an email with all the details - URL for the GB thread, description, what I ordered, original estimated cost + shipping, final cost + shipping (usually converted from US$ to AU$), payment date, shipping date, tracking info (where applicable), delivery date.

I sometimes struggle to remember to update the email properly, have to remember to send it to work and home, and sometimes just generally forget about things.

Has anyone got a good application or methodology for tracking group buys (and maybe interest checks too)?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: How do you track group buys you have joined?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 19:23:31 »
I keep forgetting what group buys I have joined, which I have paid, which have stalled, what has shipped when.

I try to send myself an email with all the details - URL for the GB thread, description, what I ordered, original estimated cost + shipping, final cost + shipping (usually converted from US$ to AU$), payment date, shipping date, tracking info (where applicable), delivery date.

I sometimes struggle to remember to update the email properly, have to remember to send it to work and home, and sometimes just generally forget about things.

Has anyone got a good application or methodology for tracking group buys (and maybe interest checks too)?
I use Google Keep, and basically just have a memo of things that I am expecting to come in.  I try and keep it updated with minor details in case I forget the status.  I am sure there are better ways to go about it, but I use Keep rather frequently and it has syncs across my devices. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 19:53:01 »
I use Google Keep, and basically just have a memo of things that I am expecting to come in.  I try and keep it updated with minor details in case I forget the status.  I am sure there are better ways to go about it, but I use Keep rather frequently and it has syncs across my devices. 

Interesting - I hadn't heard of Google Keep before now.

As I am inside Apple's walled garden I could use iOS Notes application (same functionality, especially if you have a recent version of OS X).

But I was hoping for something a bit more structured.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 19:57:23 »
Also LOL Google, very fast indexing, but I didn't create this thread 18 hours ago, more like 1 hour ago :))

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 19:59:12 »
I keep a spreadsheet on google drive with a list of things I buy for hobbies with date of purchase/paid and cost.  Whenever something comes in I highlight it green.  Nothing special but it gets the job done. 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 20:02:28 »
I keep a spreadsheet on google drive with a list of things I buy for hobbies with date of purchase/paid and cost.  Whenever something comes in I highlight it green.  Nothing special but it gets the job done. 

Good idea!  That's a similar approach, but a bit more structured.

Maybe the ideal would be an online app/service that could also send email alerts when something is overdue by a certain amount.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 20:20:34 »
I have a spreadsheet that has all my finances in it - has like charts and stuff showing spending over time lol

I have one worksheet called Capex which tracks any purchases that are non recurring (e.g. groupbuys)

Each row is an item I have bought and has criteria for who I bought it from, date purchased, links to tracking info etc

Rows have conditional formatting so that if something hasn't been delivered it is coloured bright yellow

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 20:43:08 »
I don't. And then I'm totally surprised and delighted.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 June 2015, 20:45:13 »

Same here :)

But sometimes it's nice to know what has gone missing for too long.

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 00:54:18 »
tbc turned me onto this thread and I think we could add a function like this to the keyset tracker, keyset.me. It would be something lowkey that would just let you remember what has been purchased or what you'd like to keep track of such as a link that sorted only what you 'saved'. It would delete itself because the buy would be removed from the tracker once most items have been shipped out.

Do you have any ideas for how you'd like to see it implemented?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:05:26 »
tbc turned me onto this thread and I think we could add a function like this to the keyset tracker, keyset.me. It would be something lowkey that would just let you remember what has been purchased or what you'd like to keep track of such as a link that sorted only what you 'saved'. It would delete itself because the buy would be removed from the tracker once most items have been shipped out.

I was also vaguely thinking of some sort of mobile-friendly web service that would track such things.

Would your proposal include Massdrop and other purchases from vendors sites?

In my case, however, I'd prefer to have a permanent record of what I have bought, kinda like swimmingbird's spreadsheet.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:18:08 »
The payment are tagged in my mailbox so I remember.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:19:36 »

I think someone else said (in a different thread) that they keep all the GB emails in a specific mail folder, but I wanted a bit more than that, including some GBs that don't involve any emails.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:20:00 »
I'm not normally in too many buys at once, so I can hold all of the information in my head fairly readily. Exact numbers are sitting in my paypal transaction history.

I also only order stuff I have a clearly thought-out use for, so it's easy for me to keep track of what is what. Easier to remember that I have Hack'd by Geeks coming because I wanted a SA set for the Novatouch than just that I have Hack'd by Geeks coming.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:21:45 »
I'm not normally in too many buys at once, so I can hold all of the information in my head fairly readily. Exact numbers are sitting in my paypal transaction history.

I also only order stuff I have a clearly thought-out use for, so it's easy for me to keep track of what is what. Easier to remember that I have Hack'd by Geeks coming because I wanted a SA set for the Novatouch than just that I have Hack'd by Geeks coming.

My current list includes 16 GBs or similar that I have joined, and that was all I could remember last time I updated the list.  I know it is already out of date as 3 or 4 of them have shipped.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:27:03 »

I think someone else said (in a different thread) that they keep all the GB emails in a specific mail folder, but I wanted a bit more than that, including some GBs that don't involve any emails.

You must have at least the mail regarding the payment on paypal.

Otherwise spreadsheet.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:35:47 »

My current list includes 16 GBs or similar that I have joined, and that was all I could remember last time I updated the list.  I know it is already out of date as 3 or 4 of them have shipped.

I wish I had that kind of money :P

I'm only in six buys right now, and because several of them are with [Ctrl]Alt, I only have four orders to be shipped.

I also have a springs/stabilizers order from Sprit, but that's shipped already, so I'm not really counting it.

Probably if things started getting out of hand, I'd just make up a text file and leave it in dropbox or something.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:36:27 »

You must have at least the mail regarding the payment on paypal.

Otherwise spreadsheet.

Sometimes.

But I also like to track giveaways and trades.

And occasionally I don't pay with PayPal.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:38:46 »

I wish I had that kind of money :P

I'm only in six buys right now, and because several of them are with [Ctrl]Alt, I only have four orders to be shipped.

I also have a springs/stabilizers order from Sprit, but that's shipped already, so I'm not really counting it.

Probably if things started getting out of hand, I'd just make up a text file and leave it in dropbox or something.

They are not all that big - a few Sadster keys, some O-rings are in the smaller GBs, a couple of Tai Hao keycap sets are in the larger GBs.

I prefer to track these until I actually receive the items.  So far one GB was completely lost in the email (and already resolved to the satisfaction of all parties, btw), and another is dragging its heels far too long.

I like to see my data sorted and filtered :)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 01:41:14 »

yessss surprise motha****a
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline animal

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 02:55:10 »
The only way to do it right is to remember to update emails/spreadsheets or whatever you use. Other than that, get someone to do it for you  :D
But the surprises are very pleasant when you forget your orders.
Real men do it with a keyboard.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 03:21:38 »

Can't agree more
That moment when you receive a mystery box, priceless
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 03:35:27 »

Can't agree more
That moment when you receive a mystery box, priceless

Or you get a bill and don't know first what you have to pay again!

I don't track the group buys I am in, and always surprised when I get a package.
... ...

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 10:06:04 »

I was also vaguely thinking of some sort of mobile-friendly web service that would track such things.

Would your proposal include Massdrop and other purchases from vendors sites?

In my case, however, I'd prefer to have a permanent record of what I have bought, kinda like swimmingbird's spreadsheet.

It would include whatever keysets are added to the tracker. I usually add everything I find whether it be from Massdrop or Keypop or whatever. The exception being ones that run on Massdrop all the time like the ABS single color keys or the Vortex caps.

I'm guessing the site would mostly just hold on to what you pick. Almost like pinning it for you. A dedicated permanent record one would probably be something a little more involved that would be put into it's own page. Maybe a link at the top that would allow you to go to your Keyset History where you could enter all the information like where it came from, what sets you bought, how much you paid, and more.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 June 2015, 10:09:00 »
+1 Google Keep
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 11:34:31 »
I don't. I forget about it usually right after I participate.

Most of the time something cool just shows up at my doorstep some random afternoon, and it's a good day. So far, so good. Don't think I've ever not received something (but have been forgotten once, the GB runner made it right in a day or two).
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 06:00:19 »
When I get around to it I'll probably write something simple to suit my needs.

Some interesting ideas though :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 06:44:24 »
Ok I'll take this the other way. How do you effectively ignore GB's you didn't join?

I wish I could mute a GB I'm not interested in. Like it goes into a muted expandable area like Stickies. Doesn't come up in unread posts.
I'm back.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 06:59:20 »
Ok I'll take this the other way. How do you effectively ignore GB's you didn't join?

I wish I could mute a GB I'm not interested in. Like it goes into a muted expandable area like Stickies. Doesn't come up in unread posts.
I wish I could ignore some group buys, especially ones where the group buy leader chooses to spend all the money on 'innovations' without actually delivering anything.

Typically I don't keep track, I know I've  got a GH60 order, it'll come some day, at this point I'll probably just use the PCB for wall decoration.

I've got an R5 order and it should ship soon, my other keycap buys are all Ctrl[Alt], they've always delivered so no worries there.

I'm thinking at any given time I've got ~$1,000 in outstanding buys yet to be delivered.

I think I'm about done or at least I want to be, I'm beginning to see where photekq was coming from about this place.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 July 2015, 07:12:17 »

I wish I could ignore some group buys, especially ones where the group buy leader chooses to spend all the money on 'innovations' without actually delivering anything.

Typically I don't keep track, I know I've  got a GH60 order, it'll come some day, at this point I'll probably just use the PCB for wall decoration.

I've got an R5 order and it should ship soon, my other keycap buys are all Ctrl[Alt], they've always delivered so no worries there.

I'm thinking at any given time I've got ~$1,000 in outstanding buys yet to be delivered.

I think I'm about done or at least I want to be, I'm beginning to see where photekq was coming from about this place.

I've said that before and actually made good on it. I was off this board for about 18 months a couple of years ago.

But I can never stay gone.
I'm back.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 03:15:16 »
I just buy the things, forget about the things, wonder why I have less money than I did before, and eventually there is a box at my door. It's like Christmas!
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 04:06:48 »
i just..... Remember.. Maybe i dont join enough GBs

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 06:58:48 »

I usually read most areas of GH every day, and pretty quickly spot threads I have decided to ignore.

In response to this, it is more a case of things taking around 3 weeks to ship, usually from the US.  By that time everyone else has received theirs (usually after 3 days!), posted pictures, and then forgotten about it.

I usually forget about it too.

If I don't keep track of something, there is a chance that I will remember seeing a picture of it, but not necessarily associate that with my order not having arrived yet.

Also I seem to somehow manage to be one of the last orders shipped for many of the GBs, which only seems to add to the delay.  Not blaming anyone, I know US orders are always much easier to ship for US GB oragnisers.  No blame or anything there, I'd probably ship AU orders if I ever happen to run a GB.

The main thing for me is something to automatically remind me when things are taking too long.  With 16+ GBs on the go at the moment, they are easy to lose track of.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 07:30:41 »
I've only been around since the beginning of this year, but I've joined a handful of group buys (albeit small ones, no full boards or anything). I'm also in Aus so I know the feeling you mentioned where everyone else gets their orders weeks before we do haha.

But yeah as for tracking them, I'll usually just see the thread bumped up one day and think "oh yeah, wonder how that's doing" and then read the most recent page of replies, which usually give a pretty good indicator of how it's doing.

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 04 July 2015, 18:45:27 »

me 2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 00:43:16 »
A basic system has been written, but I still need to add editing (including status change e.g. moving from paid to shipped), a mobile interface and automatic reminders.

I've imported my active GBs into it, and already added one new one.