Author Topic: 2016 NYC Keyboard Meetup Planning Thread  (Read 6311 times)

Offline Pdub

2016 NYC Keyboard Meetup Planning Thread
« on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:50:38 »
This might be a good place to start.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
Re: 2016 NYC Keyboard Meetup Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:52:02 »
Are you the one planning this?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:52:15 »
Definitely interested. It's easy for me to get to NYC.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:52:42 »
I will need money for a ticket, but I'd love to be able to make it.  :thumb:

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:53:48 »
I have a number of friends in the city, so if people are gracious guests I might be able to get a couple people places to stay.

If the meetup is after summer though I'll be in Germany and unable to attend.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:55:06 »
Are you the one planning this?

Looking to Help Jb1830 with it.  :thumb:

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:56:42 »
ill be there.

SIKE. I HATE NEW YORK U CHEESE COAST LAMES
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:58:45 »
ill be there.

SIKE. I HATE NEW YORK U CHEESE COAST LAMES

It's okay, we didn't believe you anyway.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 17:59:33 »
<3
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 February 2016, 18:37:55 »
I'd love to make it out to another NYC meetup
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 07:00:32 »
I'm in!

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:54:36 »
Word up. I'll have to reach out to a few people to try and get a decent space.

Would people rather it be in Manhattan or outside of it? I know travelling in and staying in the city for those not already in it is a major PITA.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:55:13 »
Depending on the date (not September) I'm in!
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 10:38:46 by dgneo »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:23:52 »
i have family and friends in the city... i could be in depending on dates.
-Dana

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:28:33 »
Well do you guys have any suggested dates? Given that we are just starting the planning phase, I'm thinking this won't happen for another 2-3 months. I could just wait and do it sometime mid June after the school year is over? Also idk when colleges are on break...that might factor in as well.

Please don't be shy to tell me when you would like this to happen.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:44:46 »
I can almost certainly be there.

Ellipse was planning an NYC meetup as well to test out the Model F replica prototypes – possibly worth combining these.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 09:51:13 »
I can almost certainly be there.

Ellipse was planning an NYC meetup as well to test out the Model F replica prototypes – possibly worth combining these.

Awesome. I'll have to reach out. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 10:20:18 »
As long as I have advanced notice, any weekend should be fine. Late may-early june might be a good time, before the summer social calendar gets in full swing.

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:44:11 »
I can help organize as well . Was trying to garner interest on r/MK and also posted a thread earlier in the year on here... But glad to see some support.

My vote is for manhattan as well.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 17:59:12 »
Well do you guys have any suggested dates? Given that we are just starting the planning phase, I'm thinking this won't happen for another 2-3 months. I could just wait and do it sometime mid June after the school year is over? Also idk when colleges are on break...that might factor in as well.

DO NOT plan around me, but my opinion FWIW is that I prefer later than sooner, so I can ensure funding.  End of summer or so.  But again, DO NOT plan around me.  :thumb:

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 22:12:39 »
For those interested in trying out the F62/F77 Model F keyboards in person as well as attend a general meetup and try out everyone's keyboards:  I hope to hold a Manhattan meetup some time this month for those wanting to get in before the early bird round ends on 2/29 for the Brand New Model F Kishsaver / Industrial F77 project.

I spoke to some local forum members and they seem to think picking a Thursday evening might be a good idea.  So how about Thursday 2/11, 2/18, or 2/25 in Manhattan?  Does anyone work at a startup in Manhattan or some place where we could use a conference room in the evening?  Or we could consider one of those privately owned indoor public spaces in Manhattan (not all of these are indoors so you have to check the photos):  http://apops.mas.org/

I'd also be up for a second meeting in May/June just before the end of the regular round on June 30.

Offline Pdub

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 22:26:06 »

DO NOT plan around me, but my opinion FWIW is that I prefer later than sooner, so I can ensure funding.  End of summer or so.  But again, DO NOT plan around me.  :thumb:

I was thinking August, personally.

One sooner might be difficult for me to be involved in.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 22:33:20 »
Anytime after the end of May and I might not be able to make it depending on if I get a job and the possible location of said job.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:06:02 »

So my only problem right now is that the farther into the year we go, the less I know if I'll still be working in NYC which makes it harder for me to be involved with planning. However I will get the ball rolling because if I can at least secure a place then someone else can easily take the reins from there.

For those interested in trying out the F62/F77 Model F keyboards in person as well as attend a general meetup and try out everyone's keyboards:  I hope to hold a Manhattan meetup some time this month for those wanting to get in before the early bird round ends on 2/29 for the Brand New Model F Kishsaver / Industrial F77 project.

I spoke to some local forum members and they seem to think picking a Thursday evening might be a good idea.  So how about Thursday 2/11, 2/18, or 2/25 in Manhattan?  Does anyone work at a startup in Manhattan or some place where we could use a conference room in the evening?  Or we could consider one of those privately owned indoor public spaces in Manhattan (not all of these are indoors so you have to check the photos):  http://apops.mas.org/

I'd also be up for a second meeting in May/June just before the end of the regular round on June 30.

I'm totally down to come out to one of these meets to check out the new Fs and that'll give me an opportunity to meet some of the locals and hopefully make some contacts. Definitely keep me/us updated!

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 13:07:48 »
interested, +1 for manhattan & anytime after feb. !  :p
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline Pdub

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 14:25:35 »

So my only problem right now is that the farther into the year we go, the less I know if I'll still be working in NYC which makes it harder for me to be involved with planning. However I will get the ball rolling because if I can at least secure a place then someone else can easily take the reins from there.

I'm totally down to come out to one of these meets to check out the new Fs and that'll give me an opportunity to meet some of the locals and hopefully make some contacts. Definitely keep me/us updated!

I'd be cool with doing that.

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 18:55:54 »

Let me see what I can do, I might have a lead. I'll keep you posted!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 13:32:19 »
I'm good any time after mid may.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 08 February 2016, 12:09:34 »
I'll be in nyc at the beginning of March for class if anyone wants to do a meet up :) just the 5-7 though
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Pdub

2016 NYC Keyboard Meetup Planning Thread
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 21:01:30 »
So we need to get the ball rolling on this. If no one has a venue and we get a crowd we may need to rent out a hotel conference room. So that means people prepaying an admission fee to cover the room cost.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 21:12:43 »
Really depends on the date and where I end up with a future job.

Offline Dernubenfrieken

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 06:01:32 »
I'd be fine with chipping in for a venue.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 06:52:30 »
I'm only interested if Bloomberg shows up with vintage Bloomberg terminal keyboards.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 17:06:45 »
So we need to get the ball rolling on this. If no one has a venue and we get a crowd we may need to rent out a hotel conference room. So that means people prepaying an admission fee to cover the room cost.

Yo. I have a short list of venues that im working on reaching out. I just started working in NY full time as of this week so I'll have a little more time to find places in the next coming weeks. If you have any suggestions let me know. I'm really trying to avoid anyone having to put money down.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 17:28:25 »
No need to pay for a venue in Manhattan - take a look at the indoor Privately Owned Public Spaces that are free and require no reservations for groups.