Author Topic: I just built a quad.  (Read 978 times)

Offline KaminKevCrew

I just built a quad.
« on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:09:39 »
So, after two solid days of trying to get it working, I have finally finished building my first quadcopter. It's a 450 class, with 10" props on them (I forget the pitch) and the thing is goddamn terrifying!!! I've never been around a larger size quad before (biggest I've used before is a QX nano) and these props, when spinning are truly something to respect. Just wow.

Loving the flying though. The thing is absolutely rock solid, and ridiculously easy to fly.
Edit: Pictures added (sorry for their potato quality XD)
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2016, 17:34:13 by KaminKevCrew »

Offline scubaste

Re: I just built a quad.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:11:26 »
Pics plz! That does sound pretty big. I have a DJI Phantom 2 but with all the laws they have passed I havent wanted to fly it much. They are a ton of fun though.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 17:39:23 »
Pics plz! That does sound pretty big. I have a DJI Phantom 2 but with all the laws they have passed I havent wanted to fly it much. They are a ton of fun though.

Photos added in OP :)

I'll more than likely be upgrading the frame at some point, but I'm pretty happy with this, being that it's my first quad and all. So far, I've only flown it for 10 min, but that used half of a battery, so I think I can get roughly 20 minute flight times out of this thing, which is insane. Also, I'll probably be adding a gimbal here at some point for a gopro, in which case I hope it'll still be good for 15 minute flight times or so. (the thing hovers beautifully at almost exactly 50% throttle, which is perfect)

I might also grab some larger props for it. I think I should be able to fit 11", if not 12" props. The motors aren't being challenged at all right now, so that would be a good way to get more out of it.

I've also got a CF tricopter frame that I'll be building at some point. I might try to get my hands on a KISS ESC/FC setup, but I don't think I'm experienced enough with that yet.

Offline scubaste

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 17:49:08 »
Awesome stuff man. The gimbal and gopro will be a fun upgrade. I have the zenmuse h3-3d gimbal and a gopro 3 black edition and the quality of video is really something. And that is nothing compared to what a lot of people have. 20 minute flight time is solid. I bought a few extra batteries so I could cover more ground in a day. Great hobby, legislators need to get together and make some fair drone laws for commercial use. Right now you have to basically get a pilots license and submit an exemption which is a ridiculous hassle. The laws for hobbyist are a lot more reasonable though. Enjoy flying that monster!   

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 18:19:37 »
Awesome stuff man. The gimbal and gopro will be a fun upgrade. I have the zenmuse h3-3d gimbal and a gopro 3 black edition and the quality of video is really something. And that is nothing compared to what a lot of people have. 20 minute flight time is solid. I bought a few extra batteries so I could cover more ground in a day. Great hobby, legislators need to get together and make some fair drone laws for commercial use. Right now you have to basically get a pilots license and submit an exemption which is a ridiculous hassle. The laws for hobbyist are a lot more reasonable though. Enjoy flying that monster!
Yeah! Fortunately, I happen to be working on my pilots license right now, so that works for me. The laws are pretty ridiculous though.

A friend of mine had a father who was a cinematographer, so once I get the money together, we will be using his DJI ronin and a dslr on a big hexa/octa, but that's a ton of money...

The other thing is that the damn FAA won't take my debit card (I don't have a credit card) so I can't register the damn thing. I think the police in my town would be understanding about it though, and I never fly anywhere near anyone else. Plus, I land if I think anyone is going to walk anywhere near it.