Author Topic: Hello :D  (Read 1972 times)

Offline 127001

Hello :D
« on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:05:23 »
Hello all,

My name is loopback (127, or whatever you prefer) and I've been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks and have found it rather interesting.

Recently, for no reasonable reason, I have found myself very interested in keyboards.

I am utterly baffled by this. It is such a strange thing to be interested in and yet I find myself looking up information on various keyboards throughout the day.

When friends and family ask me why I'm interested in keyboards I have no real provocative answer to give them. The best I have be able to come up with is that I find the interface with technology that keyboards provide to be provocative and beautiful. I hope to learn even more about this magical interface by participating in the discussions.

Thus far, I have found myself most interested in IBM keyboards; I think this is largely due to their influence on the technology along with the masterful implementation there of. Currently I'm in the process of collecting all the iterations of the IBM Model M which I would eventually like to have displayed tastefully in and office or something (much to the dismay of my partner :P). I, of course, am always on the lookout for an SSK or an M15 but am realistic with my goals at present and am trying to collect the "standard" models. At present the collection is comprised of: 1501100(Model F which I am in the process of restoring), 1390120(work keyboard), 1390131, 1391401 (Home keyboard), and a 1395660 (with a teensy).

Clearly I have long way to go but the dream is there; something with a wall of floating shelves lit nicely and displaying the manufacturing stickers in some fashion.

I wish everyone a very pleasant evening and the best of luck with everything.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Hello :D
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 22:05:43 »
Wow, very nice collection

And welcome!

Offline SNF

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 12:35:09 »
Hello  :)

GL on your search  :cool:

Offline ElfShotTheFood

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 13:50:28 »
Great idea for the Model M collection...  You could charge admission and give tours!

It's hard explaining the keyboard 'thing' since most people just don't see why anyone should care about keyboards.  Some of us take it into the realm of obsession, but why the heck aren't people more interested in a tool that they use so much?  I spend so much of my life using a keyboard that I really want to optimize the experience.  My wife thinks it's 'just another keyboard' but for me it's an investment in productivity.  At least, that's what I tell myself...

Anyway, welcome!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 13:52:51 »
Show us pictures of your collection? :D

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 13:55:55 »
Welcome, I approve of your username and your collection. :thumb:

Offline 127001

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:36:02 »
I'll try to get some pictures of them this weekend sometime. Right now most are stuffed in a linen closet as I've recently just moved to a new place and started a new job.
 Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:48:23 »
Welcome to paradise!

Offline mr_schnrub

• Click Click Doin the Click
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 07:53:41 »
Welcome! I like the sound of your wall.  :D
4 x IBM 1391401 | IBM 1390120 | IBM SSK 1397681 | Unicomp UB4041A

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 10:01:11 »
HELLO
          WELCOME
                         TO
                             GEEK
                                     HACK
                                              DOT
                                                     ORG.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS