Author Topic: I am not alone!  (Read 860 times)

Offline VVhitel2abbit

I am not alone!
« on: Fri, 24 April 2015, 02:59:39 »
I have felt for years that the keyboard was a horrible design. I have dabbled with new designs in my head and in random sketches, but never went very far with any of it. (I was most bothered by the fact that my left thumb did nothing all day...)
I would often tell other nerds about my big keyboard revolution ideas. They usually just kinda changed the subject or something. Just a month ago, however, I told a fellow nerd and he mentioned how he had been wanting to build a keyboard for a long time too. He then mentioned how there were lots of guides, but he didn't have the money (newlywed...) I got excited and looked online only to find that making a custom keyboard was way more simple than I had made it out to be in my fantasies. This whole last month has killed my social life and my wallet. I figure I can rectify at least one of those problems here. My many searches seemed to always lead me back here. I suppose it was only a matter of time before I joined up.
Well, if you are interested, here is the forum post I made about my summer project:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71304.0
Anyway, its good to be home... finally, with folks who, like me, do not want to say fettered to the inefficiencies of the past. Ok, I better end this before I start sounding too religiously fanatic and get thrown out for being too zealously ant-typewriter-layoutey.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: I am not alone!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 April 2015, 02:20:43 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

An interesting project you have - and I see you have found the making stuff together forum already - best place for that.

Please continue with the build log, we like photos and stuff here :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ