Author Topic: Hello! I'm so happy!  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Mechanical Click

Hello! I'm so happy!
« on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 14:45:04 »
Hello! :)

I'm so happy because I have ordered my first retro keyboard!
Chicony E8H5IKKB-5191 don't know yet which switches are on the board.
After when I clean it I will make photo session to share with you first retro keyboard in my collection! :)
This forum was very helpful for me, I have learned a lot about mechanical keyboards, thank you!

PS.
Now I'm hunting for IBM model M, wish me luck :)

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Hello! I'm so happy!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 21:42:38 »
Hello! :)

I'm so happy because I have ordered my first retro keyboard!
Chicony E8H5IKKB-5191 don't know yet which switches are on the board.
After when I clean it I will make photo session to share with you first retro keyboard in my collection! :)
This forum was very helpful for me, I have learned a lot about mechanical keyboards, thank you!

PS.
Now I'm hunting for IBM model M, wish me luck :)

Welcome to geekhack!  In your pursuit of Model M keyboards, which one in particular were you looking for?  I'm wishing you luck!  I'm sure you will find what you really want!

Offline Mechanical Click

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 01:15:15 »
Thank you Snowdog993! :)

Right now does not matter for me which model I will get. My dream is of course SSK Space Saver (would be nice to have it for daily work) but I think I will never get it, because keyboards like this in my country are very rare, I'm from Poland. So I will be happy with decent standard version, just need to be QWERTY. I don't want to put it in the box, it have to be used :) Anyway SSK Space Saver will be my white raven, no one knows maybe someone in my neighborhood has it in the basement.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 05:48:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There's a thread about the Chicony keyboard here.  Seems like a few models were made with wildly different switches.  It will be interesting to see which one you end up getting.

Good luck also in your search for a Model M!  I have 4 and counting (two SSK and two full sized).  All ANSI layout though.

Could you use ANSI, or do you need a specific local layout?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mechanical Click

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 06:55:30 »
Thank you rowdy!

I saw the thread about Chicony already, I have read it's always roulette with those keyboards.
Over the years they use different switches, so it can be:
- Mitsumi
- Futaba
- Aristotle
- Cherry MX Blue

More info. here >>> http://deskthority.net/wiki/Chicony_KB-5191

I will be glad no matter which one I get :)

I can use ANSI keyboard layout, even german, but I prefer QWERTY.

This is my alphabet: a ą b c ć d e ę f g h i j k l ł m n ń o ó p r s ś t u w y z ź ż

For letters like ą ć ę ł ń ó ś ź ż I have to use Alt
For example if I want to write "ą" I have to press Alt + a

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2015, 21:38:07 »
Sounds like a lucky dip!

Whatever you get, I hope it is complete and functional :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Mechanical Click

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 06:39:10 »
I know already, it's Futaba clicky switch (Cherry MX mount) :)
I've heard that this switches are very nice, hard to compare them to any other switches.
I hope it's functional, was hidden in basement for long time!
I will ask for full story of this keyboard!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=71589.0

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:15:47 »
Welcome to GH! Good luck finding your Model M. :cool:

Offline Mechanical Click

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 07:54:59 »
Thank you LXXXIX! :)