Author Topic: What happened to you in 2021?  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Kavik

What happened to you in 2021?
« on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 14:52:38 »
In 2021 (in no particular order),
-My dog lost her eye.
-I got a pretty good pay rise, but it's going to be mostly eaten up by inflation.
-I played through all the original Doom games (Doom 1, Doom 2, Master Levels, TNT Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment) and played lots of other games. I played, but did not necessarily beat, 33 games total if you count all the Dooms as one.
-I bought a Nintendo Switch and have played one game on it.
-I spent most of my time taking care of my elderly mom only for her to get worse and basically give up.
-I threw out some stuff and sold some stuff (but I still have a lot that I can't seem to get anyone to buy), but my house is still a mess.
-I got to talk to my friends a lot more via the Marco Polo app.
-I failed to save much money.
-Two of my mom's cats died.
-I gained no strength because I took most of the year off lifting because of a shoulder issue (that is somewhat resolved now).
-I basically maintained fat and then gained some more these last couple months.
-My doctor fixed my years long wrist pain that I thought was a torn ligament with a simple injection.
-I finally received my F77 keyboard, just in time for me to lose interest in keyboards entirely.
-I learned how to make Chicken Tikka Masala fairly well.
-My chronic neck and jaw pain waxed and waned throughout the year, but it seems to be on a downward trend overall. In 2020, it was so bad making it through each day was tough.
-I played more paintball this year than I had in the last several years combined. I somehow got my wife into it as well. But that interest went from obsession to nearly non-existent in the past month or two.

I'll list more if I think of any.

My perception of the year is mostly negative, but there are a few positives sprinkled in. The few positive memories were from gettogethers with friends, like camping or cookouts, but those were rare.

What about you?
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 December 2021, 23:05:58 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yuppie

Re: What happened to you in 2021?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 14:53:14 »
NFTs happened to me.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline yuppie

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 14:57:35 »
In 2021 (in no particular order),
-My dog lost her eye.
-I got a pretty good pay rise, but it's going to be mostly eaten up by inflation.
-I played through all the original Doom games (Doom 1, Doom 2, Master Levels, TNT Evilution, The Plutonia Experiment) and played lots of other games. I played, but did not necessarily beat, 33 games total if you count all the Dooms as one.
-I bought a Nintendo Switch and have played one game on it.
-I spent most of my time taking care of my elderly mom only for her to get worse and basically give up.
-I threw out some stuff and sold some stuff (but I still have a lot that I can't seem to get anyone to buy), but my house is still a mess.
-I got to talk to my friends a lot more via the Marco Polo app.
-I failed to save much money.
-Two of my mom's cats died.
-I gained no strength because I took most of the year off lifting because of a shoulder issue (that is somewhat resolved now).
-I basically maintained fat and then gained some more these last couple months.
-My doctor fixed my years long wrist pain that I thought was a torn ligament with a simple injection.
-I finally received my F77 keyboard, just in time for me to lose interest in keyboards entirely.
-I learned how to make Chicken Tikka Masala fairly well.
-My chronic neck and jaw pain waxed and waned throughout the year, but it seems to be on a downward trend overall. In 2020, it was so bad making it through each day was tough.
-I played more paintball this year than I had in the last several years combined. I somehow got my wife into it as well. But that interest when from obsession to nearly non-existent in the past month or two.

I'll list more if I think of any.

My perception of the year is mostly negative, but there are a few positives sprinkled in. The few positive memories were from gettogethers with friends, like camping or cookouts, but those were rare.

What about you?

Doesn't sound like you had a great one but looks like you're primed to improve things in '22.

Glad to hear that you're getting some of that pain resolved.

My interest in hobbies is so on/off it's wild. I can't keep focused on any one for very long but thats ok because I always come back to them with a fresh perspective.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 15:38:03 »
NFTs happened to me.

Can Tp4 borrow some money Mr. yMillionaire...

TP4 can borrow as much as he wants from Yuppie Bank. 0% interest.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 17:51:59 »

Would like to borrow 2.3 million to invest in an apartment complex outside of newark newjersey.

Offline yuppie

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 18:48:52 »

Would like to borrow 2.3 million to invest in an apartment complex outside of newark newjersey.

Bank of Yuppie needs 1 OTD 356.2 and 356CL as collateral, as well as 2 double shot mummy II in MX stem.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 20:05:43 »
Interesting idea.  In approximately chronological order:
- Got good at job
- "Change to stupid hours or leave" so left job
- Got new job which is easier but worse paid
- Poked myself in the eye with a cupboard door
- Found love and caught Covid at a festival
- Spent probably the happiest 10 days of my life alone in my room
- Introspection/depression (relationships)
- Gave up on love, for her sake
- Messed up at work
- More introspection/depression (hobbies, or lack thereof.  Decided should sell stuff, haven't)
- Did something to same eye as before (unresolved)
- Messed up at work
- Further introspection/depression (realised I haven't seen any friends all year or contacted them in 9 months)
- Got properly ill with something other than Covid for the first time in many years
- Yet more introspection (mortality)
- Endured Christmas and New Year "celebrations" which were pale imitations of previous years as half the people were missing

In summary Tennyson was wrong about love - it's better to only imagine tomorrow could be better than to have experienced love and be aware just how far from happy you currently are.  Between this, my new job sucking and my eye 2021 was a terrible year and nothing makes me think 2022 will be any better.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 December 2021, 21:02:28 »
Had both knee joints replaced with artificial mechanisms.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 00:14:48 »
NFTs happened to me.

I didn't know you were legally retarded, does your carer know you use the internet without supervision? 

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 00:46:57 »
All jhoki

Did you wake up with an Austrian accent and the sudden urge to do this:

All kidding aside, I would not be at all surprised to learn that the fellow who came up with that knee decided to name it "The Terminator."

(I know I would.)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 07:59:14 »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iri

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 09:04:18 »
I bought a house and got a British passport.

Also made some gains. Expected sick, got thicc. My thighs now touch each other :confused:
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 14:26:19 »
My interest in hobbies is so on/off it's wild. I can't keep focused on any one for very long but thats ok because I always come back to them with a fresh perspective.

Same, but I wish I could just stay focused on anything in life. I am envious of the people who love something enough and for a long enough time to become a master (either in skill or knowledge) in a subject. I'm more of a hobby tourist; although, keyboards did hold my interest for a few consecutive years. I'm sure it will come back at some point.

Interesting idea.  In approximately chronological order:
- Got good at job
- "Change to stupid hours or leave" so left job
- Got new job which is easier but worse paid
- Poked myself in the eye with a cupboard door
- Found love and caught Covid at a festival
- Spent probably the happiest 10 days of my life alone in my room
- Introspection/depression (relationships)
- Gave up on love, for her sake
- Messed up at work
- More introspection/depression (hobbies, or lack thereof.  Decided should sell stuff, haven't)
- Did something to same eye as before (unresolved)
- Messed up at work
- Further introspection/depression (realised I haven't seen any friends all year or contacted them in 9 months)
- Got properly ill with something other than Covid for the first time in many years
- Yet more introspection (mortality)
- Endured Christmas and New Year "celebrations" which were pale imitations of previous years as half the people were missing

In summary Tennyson was wrong about love - it's better to only imagine tomorrow could be better than to have experienced love and be aware just how far from happy you currently are.  Between this, my new job sucking and my eye 2021 was a terrible year and nothing makes me think 2022 will be any better.

I'm sorry you've had a rough go of it. I am somewhat pessimistic of the future too, but there's some level of hope that always creeps in with a new year somehow. I used to be very introspective myself, but I've been distracting myself a lot more the past couple years; I'm not sure that's a healthy alternative.

That is pretty cool. I know the recovery is really hard for knee replacements, but I have no doubt the result is worth it. I had a torn ACL for a few years, and getting it reconstructed drastically improved my life. Knee problems suck.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.