geekhack Community > Off Topic

Any professional writers here? ...Advice?

(1/2) > >>

FKSSR:
Hello all,

I want to make a career switch to become a writer, preferably for a magazine or web site that covers computer hardware.

Brief relative facts about me:
I'm 27 (just to tell you that I'm not in HS, college, or just starting to work as a professional).
I work doing tech. operations/account management type stuff right now.
I have a BS in Psychology and a BS in Sociology.  I took 2 years of grad classes in Sociology, but I didn't finish my thesis to get my MA (long story).
I write articles currently for a site about Pro-Gaming.
I live near NYC and currently work in Manhattan.

So, are there any writers here that can give me advice on how to get into the business?

I am aware it is tough to start, and I'm willing to take the time to find a job.  I currently have a good, secure job, but I want to get started on the process.

Thanks!

wellington1869:
what kind of tech articles do you want to write? you mean reviews of computer hardware?

ozar:
Lots of computer hardware/software sites pay contributors for their articles, so that might be a good place to get started.

Edit: if you want to write Linux articles, I know of a site that you can probably write for and get paid up to $125 per article (the last time I checked).

FKSSR:
I'd actually prefer to write articles about upcoming products or more creative articles about products (i.e. "the history of..." or "looking back at...").

Reviews are fine, but they usually require testing that I don't have experience doing.  Maybe I could work up to that.

I thought about contributing one-off articles to site to start off, as well, but I don't really even know where to look for that.  I figure I just need to start emailing sites like Tom's Hardware or the like...

BigWopHH:
I'm the managing editor at hothardware.com.  If you can send me a resume and some samples of your work, I'll pass them along to my partner.  No promises, but we're always looking for good tech writers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version