Author Topic: HHKB Hybrid Type-S spacebar noise  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Deduce2612

HHKB Hybrid Type-S spacebar noise
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:59:16 »
Hey guys! First post here.

I recently got my HHKB and noticed that the spacebar makes a weird noise when I bottom out and release.
Have you guys experienced this before and/or know how to fix this? I ordered lube today so I will apply it to the stabs when I receive it.

Cheers  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2023, 00:40:04 by iamjokerface »

Offline PantoneC

Re: HHKB Hybrid Type-S spacebar noise
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:08:34 »
You can try to remove the the spacebar there is a spring that sits under the middle slider see if you can lube or adjust it that way.
If not your only other option is to have it modded by lubing from the inside, the sound you get from it should be a single thock sound. GL  :thumb:

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 06:25:49 »
You can try to remove the the spacebar there is a spring that sits under the middle slider see if you can lube or adjust it that way.
If not your only other option is to have it modded by lubing from the inside, the sound you get from it should be a single thock sound. GL  :thumb:

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I will try lubing the stabs and fill the gaps between the plastic and the wire.
Is this sound what people call the rattle or do you think it's different?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 13:17:07 »
I shove a bunch of dielectric grease in there and Teflon grease where the stab slides in the stab mount and I’m gucci

Offline Polymer

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 15:07:40 »
Or get a PBT spacebar...tends to help keep the stabilizers from knocking around..

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 03:56:50 »
I shove a bunch of dielectric grease in there and Teflon grease where the stab slides in the stab mount and I’m gucci

Will do!

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 03:57:19 »
Or get a PBT spacebar...tends to help keep the stabilizers from knocking around..
The hybrid models come with PBT spacebars so that's not the issue :/

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 09:06:14 »

Sorry, I just assumed I knew what sound it was...I totally passed over the Hybrid portion or I would've known.

I don't know what weird sound you're talking about...slight stabilizer sound?  Not something I'd be concerned with.  Spacebars don't sound the same as regular keys..sounds about right IMO..

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 10:19:48 »

Sorry, I just assumed I knew what sound it was...I totally passed over the Hybrid portion or I would've known.

I don't know what weird sound you're talking about...slight stabilizer sound?  Not something I'd be concerned with.  Spacebars don't sound the same as regular keys..sounds about right IMO..

In the video I posted, you can hear slight clicks along with the thock, especially on the right side of the space bar. I've grown used to it but was just wondering what it was. I will apply lube once I get it and will update!

Offline Pie

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 13:47:03 »

I recently got my HHKB and noticed that the spacebar makes a weird noise when I bottom out and release.
Have you guys experienced this before and/or know how to fix this? I ordered lube today so I will apply it to the stabs when I receive it.

https://streamable.com/42czom

I have the exact same "problem" on my unit. I put some thick lube down the stab holes which helped significantly, but I reckon some of the sound comes from the stabilizer hitting the inside of the keyboard frame, if that makes sense. Fixing that would require taking the board apart to lube the bendy bits of the stabilizer wire, but unfortunately PFU or whoever decided to put screws underneath stickers to prevent "tampering".

I suspect some screws are hidden beneath the rubber feet aswell, which would suck big time if true. At least I know there's one in the upper right corner of the big sticker on the back, and I guess one under the "DO NOT REMOVE"-sticker in the battery compartment. I'm very hesitant to take it apart just for this, so hopefully I spill coffee on it soon.

If anyone thinking about buying this board uses the right side of their spacebar, would be bothered by the clicking sound AND doesn't want to void their warranty, maybe stick with the Pro 2.

Edit: I'm incorrect
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 07:14:25 by Pie »

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 02:37:58 »

https://streamable.com/42czom

I have the exact same "problem" on my unit. I put some thick lube down the stab holes which helped significantly, but I reckon some of the sound comes from the stabilizer hitting the inside of the keyboard frame, if that makes sense. Fixing that would require taking the board apart to lube the bendy bits of the stabilizer wire, but unfortunately PFU or whoever decided to put screws underneath stickers to prevent "tampering".

I suspect some screws are hidden beneath the rubber feet aswell, which would suck big time if true. At least I know there's one in the upper right corner of the big sticker on the back, and I guess one under the "DO NOT REMOVE"-sticker in the battery compartment. I'm very hesitant to take it apart just for this, so hopefully I spill coffee on it soon.

If anyone thinking about buying this board uses the right side of their spacebar, would be bothered by the clicking sound AND doesn't want to void their warranty, maybe stick with the Pro 2.

Yes, I have seen people lubing their Hybrids on youtube. There is indeed a screw under the warranty sticker in the battery area, but nothing underneath the rubber feet and the sticker in the back with dip switch instructions (phew).
I think my lube will be coming in this week so I will take photos of the process and can share it here too. I think the scariest part is removing the delicate ribbon cable. Hopefully, I can buy a replacement in a hardware store if I manage to break it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 02:44:08 by iamjokerface »

Offline Pie

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 04:29:11 »
Neat thanks, just found the taeha types teardown/lubing stream. I'll definitely be taking mine apart now.  ;D

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:28:17 »
Neat thanks, just found the taeha types teardown/lubing stream. I'll definitely be taking mine apart now.  ;D

As an update, I lubed the spacebar stabs. I think I did the left side of the stab well because there is no more ping on that side, but there is still the sound on my right :rolleyes:. While inspecting, I noticed that the sound is most likely from something sticking (it might have been overlubed). So I removed the prelube with a clean brush and applied my superlube mix.

Taking apart HHKB was easier than expected. Just remove the seal and use a regular phillips screwdriver to unscrew. The ribbon cable was quite easy to remove and reattach. When you reattach, you should push the cable in using the clip (the hinge thing you have to open and close to remove the ribbon). I think the hardest part was putting together the front and back casing lol. I had to rewatch Taeha snap back the two pieces together.

I lost my keycap puller so I didn't lube the sliders this time, but when I get it, I will inspect the spacebar again and apply more lube on the right side of the spacebar.

All in all, pretty happy with the results.

Offline Pie

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 18:11:03 »

As an update, I lubed the spacebar stabs. I think I did the left side of the stab well because there is no more ping on that side, but there is still the sound on my right :rolleyes:. While inspecting, I noticed that the sound is most likely from something sticking (it might have been overlubed). So I removed the prelube with a clean brush and applied my superlube mix.

Taking apart HHKB was easier than expected. Just remove the seal and use a regular phillips screwdriver to unscrew. The ribbon cable was quite easy to remove and reattach. When you reattach, you should push the cable in using the clip (the hinge thing you have to open and close to remove the ribbon). I think the hardest part was putting together the front and back casing lol. I had to rewatch Taeha snap back the two pieces together.

I lost my keycap puller so I didn't lube the sliders this time, but when I get it, I will inspect the spacebar again and apply more lube on the right side of the spacebar.

Thanks for the update. I decided to take mine apart and lube some too. I ended up also using a little hot glue to secure the stabilizer housings, which were wobbly against the frame. I don't know if that made any difference, but now I get pretty much zero ping  :D

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 00:45:36 »

Thanks for the update. I decided to take mine apart and lube some too. I ended up also using a little hot glue to secure the stabilizer housings, which were wobbly against the frame. I don't know if that made any difference, but now I get pretty much zero ping  :D

Ooo. That sounds interesting. I did notice that the housing wobbled too. Could you point out to me which part you glued?

If I recall correctly, the entire black piece (not sure if this is considered a part of the "housing" you are talking about) wobbled around. Is this what you glued down? Thanks :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2023, 00:40:27 by iamjokerface »

Offline Pie

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 05:11:58 »
Ooo. That sounds interesting. I did notice that the housing wobbled too. Could you point out to me which part you glued?

If I recall correctly, the entire black piece (not sure if this is considered a part of the "housing" you are talking about) wobbled around. Is this what you glued down? Thanks :D

That's exactly right, the black pieces are what I mean by housings. I put some glue along the sides where there is room, not above or below the housings (when the keyboard is horizontal).

While I could hear them clicking around when the board was taken apart, I'm not sure if they wobble noticeably when the PCB is screwed onto the frame.

I think putting lube in all places where surfaces meet in the stabilizers is what did the most in terms of sound reduction, but it might be worth a try with the hot glue. Good luck!  :thumb:

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 12:23:03 »
Final update

The pings went away, but now the upstroke sounds a quite bit louder than before haha
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2023, 00:40:37 by iamjokerface »

Offline Deduce2612

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 12:27:35 »

Edit: I'm incorrect

What helped the most was actually removing the space bar and putting krytox 205/105 mix in the stab hole as you mentioned here. I think the stock came over lubed or inconsistent lube, so the plastic was sticking at the bottom out position.  :eek:
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 March 2023, 00:40:50 by iamjokerface »