Author Topic: [IC] Prophet - 60% Keyboard  (Read 96557 times)

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
Re: [IC] Prophet - 60% Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 07:48:32 »

Heh, I get it, though lookz with the brass base are top notch :)

Will be most probably joining this keyboard anyway, cause it sounds just outstanding :)

agreed that it looks stunning and the heft of it with a brass base is definitely unique. Thanks for understanding!

Offline fluidin

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 08:27:30 »
we would be able to purchase more than one top right? thinking of going for a red wkl + black hhkb. any estimates on how much an extra top would cost?

Offline LarryBWilliams

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 08:29:45 »
I'd like to add that I opted for a brass base in the private run, because of aesthetics only. After trying both, and playing with different plate materials on both, I think the board sounds better with an aluminium base.

Thanks for the feedback :) That kinda convinces me lol
This does not fit my budget. I want a simple swivel mechanism

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 09:28:29 »
we would be able to purchase more than one top right? thinking of going for a red wkl + black hhkb. any estimates on how much an extra top would cost?

You are the first person to ask. I will look into how feasible it is for us to do this.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 09:32:52 »
Super interested in this, the typing test videos I've seen over the course of last year have had caught my attention.

Offline fluidin

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 09:39:29 »

You are the first person to ask. I will look into how feasible it is for us to do this.

ahh ic. i think that would be one of the strengths of this board though.
given that the tops appear to be interchangeable, it would be like having different layouts and colored boards in one.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 10:46:21 »

given that the tops appear to be interchangeable, it would be like having different layouts and colored boards in one.

They are interchangeable! We'll try and work out something  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 10:57:10 »

They are interchangeable! We'll try and work out something  :thumb:
Yeah. That'd be really cool. And different.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 11:46:54 »
Filled in e-white. Been having my eye on this keyboard for a while. Definitely in.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 January 2020, 11:51:26 by _PixelNinja »

Offline MK47

• Don't talk to me
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:22:06 »
Can someone who has tried this board give a brief description of the typing experience? Is it quite soft and uniform?

Offline MKUltraCorp

• MKUltra Corporation
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:24:11 »
Would really like to see a case only (no PCB, no plate) option. I've been talking with quite a few other Boardwalk users that have deep interest in this case but buying PCBs and plates we won't use are part of what kept us away from the Klippe S cases. Please give us an option to buy this as case only!

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:37:56 »
Would really like to see a case only (no PCB, no plate) option. I've been talking with quite a few other Boardwalk users that have deep interest in this case but buying PCBs and plates we won't use are part of what kept us away from the Klippe S cases. Please give us an option to buy this as case only!
Huh. So you can use other PCBs and plates in this? If so that's pretty unique for a board that gives this flex. I know gasket boards all require specific PCBs and/or plates.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 15:12:51 »
Huh. So you can use other PCBs and plates in this? If so that's pretty unique for a board that gives this flex. I know gasket boards all require specific PCBs and/or plates.

It supports standard 60% PCBs, you would need to get a custom plate cut to fit.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:27:16 »

That won't be a problem. I plan on doing just that.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:48:36 »

Damn. That's pretty awesome. I'm assuming the plate files will be posted (it's probably in OP and I'm dumb).

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:50:53 »
:eyes:
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:55:06 »
:eyes:
Hey. I said it was prolly in there foo!

Offline consumer

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 17:50:10 »
Case angle?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline Cobertt

• Control on Caps
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 18:37:38 »
I'm definitely in for one. Love this case design. It'll be a great upgrade from my tofu HHKB
HHKB Pro2 | Mira SE | FJELL | KARA HAZE | CW88 FNF WKL Wine | HHKB Prophet | Tengu | Prototype CW60 HHKB Skunkworxxx | Prototype K80 | Tokyo60 | Gingko65Midway LEKei | Frog TKL | Saturn60

Offline wt1155

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 20:56:43 »
What are the 3 colours ?

Offline Man In Blue

• formery Sollace
  • Man In Blue#9548
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 20:57:16 »
Yes. Please and thank you.
The Koreans did it all right ;)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 21:38:44 »

That won't be a problem. I plan on doing just that.

Same

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 21:43:10 »
I'm stoked for this!

Offline Sshimosawa

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 21:45:46 »
This is so cool. So in for this.

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 22:25:42 »
I'm probably a bit of a dunce and can't figure this out. If there is no downward pressure from the top on the plate, what keeps the plate vertically constrained preventing rattle against the pins & bottom?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 22:31:53 »
I'm probably a bit of a dunce and can't figure this out. If there is no downward pressure from the top on the plate, what keeps the plate vertically constrained preventing rattle against the pins & bottom?
Was trying to figure that out too. Wouldn't it rattle around when typing and/or transporting?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 04:42:42 »
What are the 3 colours ?

undecided, there is a form in the first post with a vote

Damn. That's pretty awesome. I'm assuming the plate files will be posted (it's probably in OP and I'm dumb).

Not released yet, once design files are finalised and submitted for production I will release them.

Was trying to figure that out too. Wouldn't it rattle around when typing and/or transporting?

the plate is designed to be very tight in terms of tolerance. the idea is that typing creates the downward pressure. Nylon shrinks slightly after machining so fits very snug, same with PP to a lesser degree. PC will be able to move up and down in transport but in my experience it doesn't bounce whilst typing. The reason I only am offering the plastic plates in this instance is to mitigate this, if you wanted to use a metal plate for example I think it would need some kind of gasket material as the vibration would carry across the whole plate in a way that it doesn't whilst typing with the plastic plates.

Case angle?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

6° - added to first post

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 07:55:32 »
@westfoxtrot I'm definitely very much interested in multiple top case options as well.

You mentioned using padding or gaskets with metallic plate options. I don't suppose you have a video or pictures of that. Itd be cool to get a half-plate alum cut and install some gaskets (assuming there's space somewhere for them) for ultimate flex.

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 08:15:32 »
Very interested & would love a brass base option if possible.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 08:37:26 »
@westfoxtrot I'm definitely very much interested in multiple top case options as well.

You mentioned using padding or gaskets with metallic plate options. I don't suppose you have a video or pictures of that. Itd be cool to get a half-plate alum cut and install some gaskets (assuming there's space somewhere for them) for ultimate flex.

It's not something I have done personally. There is 0.75mm of space between the top of the plate and the bottom of the top case. I can make up some dxfs of a cutout for a gasket I suppose? It could probably also be cut by hand from something. I imagine that 1mm would work and compress down OK. I have some neoprene at home I think I will try it out.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 09:42:59 »

It's not something I have done personally. There is 0.75mm of space between the top of the plate and the bottom of the top case. I can make up some dxfs of a cutout for a gasket I suppose? It could probably also be cut by hand from something. I imagine that 1mm would work and compress down OK. I have some neoprene at home I think I will try it out.

I'd actually be curious how this affects the plastic plate anyway.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 09:44:49 »
Koen had a brass plate in his and indeed there were some issues, but I think he resolved it. He might be able to fill in. :)

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 10:01:22 »
Yeah, unfortunately to get that full gasket/isolation sound you'd probably have to run some padding/gaskets around the upper lip of the base of the board as well. Seems too thin for that to be possible. But I'd still be interested to see what a metal plate compressed by some foam/gasket would sound like.

Offline avtar

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:15:04 »
Any chance of a frosted polycarbonate option? I'm still interested regardless.

Offline noorejji

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:42:39 »
I saw in your Lockheed IC that you'd be offering cerakoting, will that be an option here as well?

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:45:33 »
Any chance of a frosted polycarbonate option? I'm still interested regardless.

not this time as we are trying to keep the SKUs down. Maybe in the future.

I saw in your Lockheed IC that you'd be offering cerakoting, will that be an option here as well?

Unfortunately for this we are planning to use a different manufacturer so won't be offering cerakote. If you want to ask Salvun for a quote : https://salvun.com/ he is very close to mykeyboard.eu so could handle the re-finish.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 15:03:49 »

I would also be interested in a no pcb option, although I would still like to buy a plate. I have a pcb sitting in my parts drawer that would be perfect for this case.

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 15:28:46 »

the plate is designed to be very tight in terms of tolerance. the idea is that typing creates the downward pressure. Nylon shrinks slightly after machining so fits very snug, same with PP to a lesser degree. PC will be able to move up and down in transport but in my experience it doesn't bounce whilst typing. The reason I only am offering the plastic plates in this instance is to mitigate this, if you wanted to use a metal plate for example I think it would need some kind of gasket material as the vibration would carry across the whole plate in a way that it doesn't whilst typing with the plastic plates.

Will the plastic plates wear down over time allowing those tight tolerances to loosen? Can friction fit between plastic plate and alu case can loosen up over time/use? In either case I am 100% down for multiple to mess around with vibration isolation setups + plate styles + top variations.

This may be off topic but does anyone know of a source for flex-cut 60% pcb that might be able to be dropped in? (If I understand the board design correctly)

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 15:34:08 »
This may be off topic but does anyone know of a source for flex-cut 60% pcb that might be able to be dropped in? (If I understand the board design correctly)

https://mekanisk.co/products/wt60-d

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 16:38:09 »
Any ALPS plate support?

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 22:59:26 »
this looks really nice!

the mount style is the same as the kbdfans 661 right?

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 03:18:17 »
this looks really nice!

No, this is pin mount

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 03:52:35 »
this looks really nice!

No, this is pin mount

But so is the 661, right?

Offline regionfree

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 04:56:29 »
since there's no pressure from the top piece of the case on to the plate, wouldn't this lead to some amount of rattling between the plate and the top and bottom pieces of the case?

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 05:13:44 »
since there's no pressure from the top piece of the case on to the plate, wouldn't this lead to some amount of rattling between the plate and the top and bottom pieces of the case?
He went over this a bit back. Basically unless your a violent typer, the plastic plates will absorb most of the impact preventing it from rattling against the bottom. This is doubly true for the nylon build plate which should really never experience this. It should only rattle against the top during transport. If adding your own metallic plate you'll most likely want to compress it from the top with some kind of foam to prevent it from rattling during transport/typing. That said the case is primarily built for flexible plastic plates.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 06:50:44 »
this looks really nice!

No, this is pin mount

But so is the 661, right?

It's similar, the 661 is very much sandwich in the way the plate is secured though. I basically took the idea from the 661 and played with it to improve it.

Offline westfoxtrot

• Cable Car Designs
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 06:57:31 »

Will the plastic plates wear down over time allowing those tight tolerances to loosen? Can friction fit between plastic plate and alu case can loosen up over time/use? In either case I am 100% down for multiple to mess around with vibration isolation setups + plate styles + top variations.

I have been using mine from the private round with a nylon plate daily for the last 6 months or so and not experienced any issue, again there isn't particularly any friction that should cause a problem but it's possible that in years it might be a problem.

https://imgur.com/a/D4IMiSv <- there's an image in here of the PCB that comes with the buy. I plan on open sourcing the PCB files somewhere down the line as well.

Any ALPS plate support?

probably not with the buy but I will be releasing files.

He went over this a bit back. Basically unless your a violent typer, the plastic plates will absorb most of the impact preventing it from rattling against the bottom. This is doubly true for the nylon build plate which should really never experience this. It should only rattle against the top during transport. If adding your own metallic plate you'll most likely want to compress it from the top with some kind of foam to prevent it from rattling during transport/typing. That said the case is primarily built for flexible plastic plates.

I have personally used PC and Nylon plates and never experienced any rattle/unpleasant movement during typing. If you pick it up and shake it it will rattle with the PC as it stays pretty firm, the nylon fits tight to the pins in my experience.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 09:02:19 »
Thank you bery much for the technical explanation. Now understand how well it works.

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 09:45:22 »
this looks really nice!

No, this is pin mount

No it's the same construction. Just glad he made it a 60%. The kbd661 is rare now and has too many keys for my liking.   Looks hype

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 22 January 2020, 10:23:48 »
this looks really nice!

No, this is pin mount

No it's the same construction. Just glad he made it a 60%. The kbd661 is rare now and has too many keys for my liking.   Looks hype

I mean it uses pins, and is sandwiched, but unlike the kdb661, the plate is loose. In the kdb661 I'm pretty sure the upper body places continuous pressure on the bottom. The Prophet's plate, on the other hand, just rests on top of the bottom, no top pressure, less snug fit.