geekhack Community > Keyboards

Recommendation for low keyboard (but not low-profile as such)

(1/2) > >>

BenGeeMin:
Hi all,

I’m looking for a suggestion for a keyboard/barebone for my next build.

I have a GMMK TKL and am very happy with it. However, I’m thinking about building another keyboad and am looking for some suggestions.

The GMMK has floating keys. For the next one, I would like the keys to be recessed.

What’s more, the GMMK is quite high, like most mechanical keyboards, so I use a wrist rest.  I’d be happy, if the next one is a bit lower – but without being a low-profile keyboard as such, which requires special switches and caps as far as I understand. I think a relatively low base and low caps (but using standard parts) will also make a reasonable difference.

So, do you have a suggestion for a relatively low base (keyboard/barebone) with recessed keys, which I could use?

Thank you very much!

Handke:

--- Quote from: BenGeeMin on Mon, 24 January 2022, 06:06:39 ---Hi all,

I’m looking for a suggestion for a keyboard/barebone for my next build.

I have a GMMK TKL and am very happy with it. However, I’m thinking about building another keyboad and am looking for some suggestions.

The GMMK has floating keys. For the next one, I would like the keys to be recessed.

What’s more, the GMMK is quite high, like most mechanical keyboards, so I use a wrist rest.  I’d be happy, if the next one is a bit lower – but without being a low-profile keyboard as such, which requires special switches and caps as far as I understand. I think a relatively low base and low caps (but using standard parts) will also make a reasonable difference.

So, do you have a suggestion for a relatively low base (keyboard/barebone) with recessed keys, which I could use?

Thank you very much!

--- End quote ---

If you think that the gmmk is high, you probably need to change hobby :-D You won't go much lower than that, probably 3mm lower maximum.

Get an apple a1243 keyboard.

Having a wrist rest is an health problem. Your hands don't need to touch the table, you need to be like a pianist.

BenGeeMin:
Yes, the GMMK PRO is a bit lower, but it is not a TKL - I've got the TKL version...

Floating with the hands is fine for typing, but not so much for playing games, e.g. floating over WASD is quite awkward. That works better with a wrist rest imho.

Handke:

--- Quote from: BenGeeMin on Mon, 24 January 2022, 07:42:33 ---Yes, the GMMK PRO is a bit lower, but it is not a TKL - I've got the TKL version...

Floating with the hands is fine for typing, but not so much for playing games, e.g. floating over WASD is quite awkward. That works better with a wrist rest imho.

--- End quote ---

Sorry I meant gmmk tkl, you can't go much lower than that.

There are some sets that are lower profile than cherry profile. One of them is made by cherry itself, you find it on the cherry 3.0 keyboard.

https://techgage.com/article/cherry-on-top-a-review-of-cherrys-mx-board-3-0-professional-keyboard/

Leslieann:
If I remember right the GMMK (non pro) has about 1/2 - 1mm of clearance in the base (about a micro SDcard) and already has pretty slim feet.
Different caps can shave a mm or two and if you 3d print a keyboard you can shave another 1/2 to 1mm by thinning the case below each switch leaving a webbing for support, but you're pretty much tapped out for MX style switches at that point as there's just nothing left to remove.

Low profile switches cut the switch in half (above and below the plate, about 6-8mm total (1/4in-3/8in) but you still need that bottom plate and clearance, the caps are also somewhat thinner, but a lot of that's mostly an illusion. If you really want lower you're going to need to ditch mechanical switches and go rubber dome or even scissor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version