Author Topic: [Interest Check] Media keys  (Read 4159 times)

Offline bavman

[Interest Check] Media keys
« on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 16:26:20 »
Hi guys,

I was wondering if there's any interest in some double shot media keycaps?
I've attached some simple designs I found online that could be converted to svgs later, but right now I'd like to see if theres any interest and what keys these would replace. I was thinking six and they replace "insert/home/pgu/delete/end/paged". Let me know.

Feel free to contribute suggestions to change number of keys, location, color, or anything.

Also reply here if you're interested with how many sets you'd like if this does happen.

Thanks

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30232[/ATTACH]

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 17:40:43 »
VolDown, Mute, VolUp
Skip Back, Play, Skip Forward
I would recommend the set up in that order, for the reason that I change the volume far less than I change the song I am playing. Also, great idea using the 2x3 grouping there.
Pending the price I might be interested.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 October 2011, 18:18:02 »
Quote from: bloodygood;441418
VolDown, Mute, VolUp
I would recommend the set up in that order, for the reason that I change the volume far less than I change the song I am playing. Also, great idea using the 2x3 grouping there.

Opposite here. I really only listen to albums, so I almost never change the song. Also, I think it'd look really nice above the arrow keys.

I'd be interested, though I think the legends could maybe use a little tweaking.

Offline Grond

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 October 2011, 03:18:08 »
I'm currently using relegendables as media keys. I may be interested depending on the style of the legends and color chosen.
The ideal for me would be:
- Mac os-x media keys including brightness up/down, eject and power (Mission Control and Dashboard may be changed to more generic symbols, like diamond or circle, so other people can make other uses of them);
- White legend on black key, Cherry style matte finishing.
I also belive the kit should cover the full F-keys row, maybe including more symbols than they actually fit so people can choose their favourite depending on their OS and taste. And of course the setup order doesn't matter at all, since all the keys have the same profile!

Edit: the OSX media keys.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30298[/ATTACH]

TheSoulHunter's pictograms:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30299[/ATTACH]
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5905

My daily driver (currently using Tipro relegendables, may switch to Cherry relegendables soon):
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 30300[/ATTACH]
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 October 2011, 03:31:17 by Grond »

Offline Skoobs

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 23:04:30 »
extremely interested. I was about to make a thread about this, but i wasnt sure if people would be interested in using media keys in the area you described rather than the F keys, which is where everyone seems to want them.

Quote from: bloodygood;441418
VolDown, Mute, VolUp

this exactly. mute should be between volume, and play should be between skip back and skip forward. other than that, i think the layout is superb. however, to make this a popular group buy, you may have to switch to the f keys... just so people dont bicker about which to put on the top, volume or skip. which is lame, i really want media keys where you wanted to put them.

However, i would want black keys with dark grey symbols, dark grey keys with black symbols (like the dark grey happy hacking where you can barely see the letters), or black keys with white symbols.

please do this group buy!

Offline bavman

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 23:08:42 »
I don't think theres gonna be anywhere near enough interest to get this going. This thread has been up for almost 15 days with 4 responds haha

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 00:50:45 »
If it would include more than just the 6 keys Id buy 4 sets...

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 09:30:03 »
Quote from: TheSoulhunter;451619
If it would include more than just the 6 keys Id buy 4 sets...
Like which ones would you want?

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 November 2011, 09:48:24 »
Like the ones I use atm...