Author Topic: Controversy about space bar flipping  (Read 39433 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Controversy about space bar flipping
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 21:00:31 »
Get rid of it entirely. I'm behind Google on this. It's just too much.

(Attachment Link)
#GoogleGlass4Lyfe

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 09 April 2016, 02:08:50 »
nobody likes a flip flopper
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline alexjd99

• oozing through the cells of one's own construction
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 22:58:33 »
Ok I have a theory, and hear me out on this.

It's all about the desk and chair. If your desk is low and chair is somewhat high, your thumb should rest on the curved part of the space bar. On the other hand, if you have a higher desk, your thumb would hit the edge of the space bar, making flipping nicer. Same applies for keyboard angle and wrist rests. High deskers like higher keyboard angles, and low deskers like lower keyboard angles and wrist rests

That said, #flippedbarmasterrace

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:32:33 »
In my experience it feels more natural in flipped position, but it is entirely personal preference.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:42:26 »
Personally, I like the feel of it flipped more.  On my RF87U, my spacebar clicked a bit but after I flipped it, the clicking stopped.  Now it's uniform with my other keys with the Hypersphere rings.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:05:55 »
It's all about the desk and chair. If your desk is low and chair is somewhat high, your thumb should rest on the curved part of the space bar. On the other hand, if you have a higher desk, your thumb would hit the edge of the space bar, making flipping nicer. Same applies for keyboard angle and wrist rests. High deskers like higher keyboard angles, and low deskers like lower keyboard angles and wrist rests

To be more precise, if your thumb is hitting the edge of the spacebar, your keyboard is tilted wrong for your furniture. You want the top of the keyboard parallel to your forearms. Pull the keyboard closer to your body and flip the rear feet down. If your thumb is still hitting the edge, try tilting the keyboard steeper by piling something under the far side of the board, or try lowering your desk or raising your seat. Most importantly, make sure your wrists are straight.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:26:03 »

To be more precise, if your thumb is hitting the edge of the spacebar, your keyboard is tilted wrong for your furniture. You want the top of the keyboard parallel to your forearms. Pull the keyboard closer to your body and flip the rear feet down. If your thumb is still hitting the edge, try tilting the keyboard steeper by piling something under the far side of the board, or try lowering your desk or raising your seat. Most importantly, make sure your wrists are straight.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:29:47 »

(Attachment Link)

Ok so you just pull the space bar out, sometimes it helps to use two cap removers, and then when you take the key off the board, you rotate it precisely 180 degrees, and put it back on the board.

I mean that's pretty simple </s>

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:38:21 »

(Attachment Link)

Ok so you just pull the space bar out, sometimes it helps to use two cap removers, and then when you take the key off the board, you rotate it precisely 180 degrees, and put it back on the board.

I f****d it up.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:39:32 »

(Attachment Link)

I f****d it up.

(Attachment Link)

My bad, should have specified which axis to rotate. :))

Offline jaffers

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 00:49:18 »
Flipping space bar is sin. There shouldn't even be a thread on this. You flipped people know that you are sinning and choose to do so, if you hide the fact or not.

You don't grab the keyboard, you press it. Rotating 180 degrees is stupid. You wouldn't rotate an ice cream 180 degrees and grab it, that's just ****ing stupid.

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 01:45:09 »

This debate has never cooled down even a little bit

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 06:59:54 »
Ok I have a theory, and hear me out on this.

That said, #flippedbarmasterrace

Nice theory bro.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:00:28 »
In my experience it feels more natural in flipped position, but it is entirely personal preference.

It feels more natural for me as well. Not sure why so many haters for flipped spacebars.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:00:55 »
Personally, I like the feel of it flipped more.  On my RF87U, my spacebar clicked a bit but after I flipped it, the clicking stopped.  Now it's uniform with my other keys with the Hypersphere rings.

What do you mean with "clicked a bit"?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:01:52 »
(Attachment Link)

Actually, it is usually the first thing I do when I got myself a new board.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 11:10:33 »
I just flipped mine. I must say the angle of the space bar makes a better contact with the side of my thumbs. I'm keeping it like this now  :D

Offline Faeja

• more gg more skill
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 12:21:03 »
the angle of the space bar makes a better contact with the side of my thumbs.

My wrists are almost parallel with my keyboard when I type and I still flip my spacebar. The way my thumb lays on a normal spacebar has the edge hitting my thumb. The thunk is also more satisfying when flipped.

Leopold FC750R

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:09:15 »

My wrists are almost parallel with my keyboard when I type and I still flip my spacebar. The way my thumb lays on a normal spacebar has the edge hitting my thumb. The thunk is also more satisfying when flipped.
Show Image
Show Image

Great pictures! Good illustration.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:20:04 »
Seems like this would be bad for the switches and or stabilizers. One day I will try it to confirm, but as of right now I don't see the benefit

Offline alexjd99

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:23:07 »
Seems like this would be bad for the switches and or stabilizers. One day I will try it to confirm, but as of right now I don't see the benefit

Since you're hitting the space bar at more of an angle, it would be bad? Makes sense, since it's not a mostly vertical force, but then again, there's also SA R1, which is at an absurd angle, and backspace on most boards is R1, so if there are any problems there there may be some here, but I haven't ever heard of any.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:00:56 »

Since you're hitting the space bar at more of an angle, it would be bad? Makes sense, since it's not a mostly vertical force, but then again, there's also SA R1, which is at an absurd angle, and backspace on most boards is R1, so if there are any problems there there may be some here, but I haven't ever heard of any.

You are always hitting the spacebar from an angle unless - like others have pointed out - you keep your hand exactly above the keyboard. So I don't really see how the force would be different when you flip the spacebar.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 21:49:07 »
If everyone stops flipping there won't be any controversy :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 21:58:30 »

I cannot betray myself, no flipping is not an option.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 03:51:09 »

You mean like flipping em bars? Or flipping about flipping the spacebar? :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:19:32 »

Both :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:22:49 »

Haha. Well.. I really need to flip dem bars. Not because off them looks or to show off but because I genuinely like it more. I'm gonna get hate for this... Impending doom in 1..2..

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:39:09 »

Haha. Well.. I really need to flip dem bars. Not because off them looks or to show off but because I genuinely like it more. I'm gonna get hate for this... Impending doom in 1..2..

I tried it once, flipped a space bar on an MX keyboard.  It felt weird, and looked really off (kinda set off my OCD), so I flipped it back and felt better ever since.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:51:49 »

I tried it once, flipped a space bar on an MX keyboard.  It felt weird, and looked really off (kinda set off my OCD), so I flipped it back and felt better ever since.

I can imagine.. but didn't you think it FELT better flipped? Or can't your OCD handle it :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:59:29 »

I can imagine.. but didn't you think it FELT better flipped? Or can't your OCD handle it :p

No, it did not feel better.  If anything it felt worse.

I might have tried to get used to it for a while (I tried for about half an hour), but seeing the keyboard with a flipped space bar triggered me.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:00:49 »

I might have tried to get used to it for a while (I tried for about half an hour), but seeing the keyboard with a flipped space bar triggered me.

Good thing you flipped it back then! For me, it depends on how low the front-end of the bar is when pushed down. On my HHKB, when I push down the flipped spacebar it is as low as my case, which is really annoying because I'm tapping on my case every time I hit space, which basically defeats the purpose of flipping.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:04:16 »

Good thing you flipped it back then! For me, it depends on how low the front-end of the bar is when pushed down. On my HHKB, when I push down the flipped spacebar it is as low as my case, which is really annoying because I'm tapping on my case every time I hit space, which basically defeats the purpose of flipping.

Time to flip it back :p

Offline mrlooolz

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 09:27:46 »
I have tiny hands and on day one of adopting my first MK i went with flipped bar. I like it and it works well with my typing  and gaming style
Ducky Shine 5 w Mx Browns  | White fox w Zelio's purple 67g | Gateron Blank set

Current Aims: Jack O Lantern is my end game cap. Looking for one.
                                                   --> MrLooolz's Classified. <--

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 21 April 2016, 14:23:33 »
I have short fingers and the flipped spacebar means that I never hit a hard edge. But honestly i think that the domed spacebar style of a SA row 3 profile spacebar is about ideal if it came in many heights. All my SA sets I have tried to find the matching spacebar in Row 3 profile.

flipped spacebars are FTW for those of us with short fingers (i.e. like a girl...cus I am one).

Offline cozmonort

• Coz Caps
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 09:47:50 »
I never considered flipping my spacebar, as I only game and don't really do a heap of typing... but I recently got a bro set and that profile really feels better flipped.. pretty sure it's DCS. With my OEM Miami I never really felt the need, but I've flipped the DCS.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 12:27:19 »
Time to flip it back :p

NEVAH! Except for on the HHKB.

Offline MasterZebra

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 09:27:44 »
I want to try flipping to see what the hype is about but I am afraid I will do it and won't want to go back. The peer pressure!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:24:52 »
I want to try flipping to see what the hype is about but I am afraid I will do it and won't want to go back. The peer pressure!

Don't do it!

Keep the keyboard as the great manufacturer intended!

Have you EVER seen a keyboard shipped from the factory with the space bar flipped?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 19:52:19 »

Don't do it!

Keep the keyboard as the great manufacturer intended!

Have you EVER seen a keyboard shipped from the factory with the space bar flipped?

This is how I imagined it would look.

^-^

Offline AgentZen

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 21:50:21 »
I just bought my first cherry profile keyset a few weeks ago. The first thing I did was put the spacebar on backwards. I don't even know what it feels like to have set up the right way. You can hate me if you want, but it doesn't make a difference to me. Keysus loves me just the way I am.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 00:00:09 »
I just bought my first cherry profile keyset a few weeks ago. The first thing I did was put the spacebar on backwards. I don't even know what it feels like to have set up the right way. You can hate me if you want, but it doesn't make a difference to me. Keysus loves me just the way I am.

Offline Anole

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 15:00:33 »
i personally find a flipped spacebar to be more ergonomic. But to each their own.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:38:18 »
i personally find a flipped spacebar to be more ergonomic. But to each their own.

If you are typing "properly" then your hands should be above the keyboard, not down in front.

That being said, I've now got my spacebar (and left alt) flipped on my Varmilo, since I primarly use it for gaming.

But for my "work" keyboards, no way.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:53:24 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:50:45 »

Show Image
Show Image

No, no, no. Look what happened when I tried that. DON'T DO IT!

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 00:52:02 »
Save your thumbs!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:09:04 »

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 01:52:07 »
Save your thumbs!

Save your sanity!

I'm an insane hypocrite. MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 02:09:17 »
Save your thumbs!

Save your sanity!

I'm an insane hypocrite. MWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

(Attachment Link)

And look, you've only gone and flipped Alt too :eek:

Offline JigsawSaint

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:12:04 »
Just... no to flipping. 

Can we bring back the burning people at the stake for things like this?  And if so, can we reassign their keyboards to happy, less abusive homes after?

Offline dunglefinker

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:17:52 »
Personally, I flipped all my spacebars on my MX board, but on my Topre board it just feels...WRONG