geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

Not-So-Great Finds

<< < (4/91) > >>

just_add_coffee:

--- Quote from: rowdy on Thu, 17 August 2017, 21:55:15 ---
AND they replaced the green LEDs with blue - don't forget that!

--- End quote ---

As well as cleaning and bolt-modding it, along with a new membrane and a warranty.  I think it looks rather nice as well.

ander:

--- Quote from: just_add_coffee on Fri, 18 August 2017, 17:29:24 ---
--- Quote from: rowdy on Thu, 17 August 2017, 21:55:15 ---
AND they replaced the green LEDs with blue - don't forget that!

--- End quote ---

As well as cleaning and bolt-modding it, along with a new membrane and a warranty.  I think it looks rather nice as well.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it looks great. Except that it's not a real Industrial Model M, but a kind of simulation of one.

ander:
Wow!! Check this out:

IBM 1391240 RARE VINTAGE CLICKY MODEL M KEYBOARD WITH PS/2 CABLE WITH WARRANTY

As you know, the elusive Model M p/n 1391240 not only has an Esc key that says "ESC Reset", but also has a tiny letter T on its logo badge:

...two remarkable distinctions that undoubtedly make it worth its BIN price of $275 + shipping!  :?)

just_add_coffee:

--- Quote from: ander on Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:42:06 ---Yes, it looks great. Except that it's not a real Industrial Model M, but a kind of simulation of one.

--- End quote ---

It's not trying to be a "real" Industrial Model M.  Certainly not at that price and with the original label on the back.

ander:

--- Quote from: just_add_coffee on Sun, 20 August 2017, 00:29:33 ---
--- Quote from: ander on Sat, 19 August 2017, 18:42:06 ---Yes, it looks great. Except that it's not a real Industrial Model M, but a kind of simulation of one.

--- End quote ---

It's not trying to be a "real" Industrial Model M.  Certainly not at that price and with the original label on the back.

--- End quote ---

But... but... [sounds of flusterment]

"Real" Industrials—that is, those that don't look like Industrials that have never existed—go for considerably less than this, not more.

And as I pointed out, the "original" label on the back of this was no label—not a plate label, which would never be seen on the back of any M, ever.

But wait a minute, look more closely at the photos... The seller didn't just put a plate label on the back of the case; they also put a case label (from, I'm guessing, the non-Industrial M the inner parts came from) on the plate. Too weird! Er, I mean, just another thing that makes this such an incredible value [ahem] !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version