Author Topic: Does this split exist?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Does this split exist?
« on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 15:53:26 »
I really like the idea of a split space bar keyboard.  I've been looking at the M65-A, JD40, Minivan, Vortex Core, and the Banana Split, but I haven't seen anything that splits in a way that would be usable for me.

I have recorded myself typing to analyze how I use the space bar when typing and I've found:

I generally press the space bar with my right thumb almost exactly beneath the intersection of "B" and "N"
When I type a word that ends in the letter "Y", my thumb presses the space bar a bit more to the left, close to the center of the "B"

So, I played around with the layout editor and came up with some thing that seemed reasonable (with the exception of a 3u spacebar, but they aren't impossible to find).  I'm mostly interested in keeping the split where it is.

So, does anyone know of any 40 or 60% boards with this bottom row layout possible?

166388-0

Edited to include 3u spacebar idea.  Pretty cool symmetrical bottom row, don't you think?
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:09:51 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Does this split exist?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:10:57 »
And I guess my next question would be.... how do I go about making a PCB?   :eek:

I just checked out https://github.com/ruiqimao/keyboard-pcb-guide#setting-up and I was a little overwhelmed to say the least.

Maybe hand wiring would be the only way I could make this happen... although I'm not confident that I could accomplish that either :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:33:18 by reececonrad »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:27:29 »
And in case you were wondering why the triple split, i was thinking that you could use the center key for space and the other two for Fn or modifiers.  Personally, I would use them both for Fn keys so that I could accomplish any Fn + Keypress with one hand.

Offline cutterline

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:22:17 »
Minila or Z70 is the closest thing (commercially) to that bottom row.

PCB? Just learn how to KiCAD, there's a lot of guide out there.
Handwiring is faster, TMK or QMK has all the tools and layout for columns and rows wiring.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:47:57 »
Minila or Z70 is the closest thing (commercially) to that bottom row.

PCB? Just learn how to KiCAD, there's a lot of guide out there.
Handwiring is faster, TMK or QMK has all the tools and layout for columns and rows wiring.

oh man, the minila is perfect!  thanks.

Offline cutterline

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 23:22:05 »
The downside is Minila is not programmable. Unless they did a breakthrough with those Holtek custom firmware project. Edit : It seems minilauses OTP chip, but the bright side you can just custom a small part to make kt programmable (source https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/filco-minila-swap-alt-and-win-key-teensy-my-best-bet-t5751.html)
You can always make a new pcb or handwire using the old plate and case though.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 23:33:19 by cutterline »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 00:35:32 »
That reminds me of the Cartesian Longboard https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68818.0.

How exactly would you map that bottom row?
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 02:38:43 »
Don't make the board as is, unless there's some weird vintage board with a 3u keycap you'll never be able to find one.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline cutterline

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 06:14:16 »
Don't make the board as is, unless there's some weird vintage board with a 3u keycap you'll never be able to find one.
Fortunately, it's 2017 now and God bless the Chinese for making those affordable keycaps. You can easily find a set with 3u keycaps in many profiles, cherry, oem, dsa.
For example : https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=&SearchText=minila
Note : Minila uses 3u keycaps for spacebar

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 07:40:28 »
Was about to buy a Manila but I just noticed the second row (shift , z, x, c, etc...) has all been shifted over to the left slightly??  Anyone with this board that can comment on that aspect.