Author Topic: perished o-rings on my filco's keycaps.  (Read 980 times)

Offline atarione

perished o-rings on my filco's keycaps.
« on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:29:20 »
huh.. so this is weird.. anyone see this happen before?

the keyboard is just barely 2yrs old and these vortex keycaps I got a few months later so they are 21~mos old.. while cleaning the keyboard today I just noticed like 30~40% of the o-rings have either cracked or broken entirely..

I have never had this problem before on other keyboards.. hopefully none of the little o-ring bits fell into any of the switches.. (as far as I know they haven't as I had noticed no problems using the keyboard up to this point..)

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:34:31 by atarione »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
Re: perished o-rings on my filco's keycaps.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:47:35 »
huh.. so this is weird.. anyone see this happen before?

the keyboard is just barely 2yrs old and these vortex keycaps I got a few months later so they are 21~mos old.. while cleaning the keyboard today I just noticed like 30~40% of the o-rings have either cracked or broken entirely..

I have never had this problem before on other keyboards.. hopefully none of the little o-ring bits fell into any of the switches.. (as far as I know they haven't as I had noticed no problems using the keyboard up to this point..)

Were those marketed as keyboard o-rings or did you buy a pack of cheap o-rings from the hardware store? All o-rings will dry out and crack/ age over time and they aren't designed to be used as keycap landing pads so it's possible that the extra beating just caused them to age faster.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:57:24 »
the o-rings on my QFR are fine and they've been there for like 4 years

prolly just too dry in your room or something
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline atarione

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:21:43 »
the o-rings on my QFR are fine and they've been there for like 4 years

prolly just too dry in your room or something

ah.. good point these were cheapies from amazon.. people had been putting them on keyboards but they weren't marketed for such use.. probably why the other o-rings I had used before were from WASD and they have indeed held up better.