Author Topic: Cherry ML (or Clones) Where to purchase?  (Read 6192 times)

Offline SNReloaded

Cherry ML (or Clones) Where to purchase?
« on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 19:11:20 »
Hello All,

I've been interested in Cherry ML switches for a while, and I have 3 main questions.

1) Where do I purchase them?

2) Where do I purchase alternative keycaps?

3) I assume that the switches could be soldered into standard MX pcbs. Is this correct?

Thanks all!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Cherry ML (or Clones) Where to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 19:41:52 »
3) I assume that the switches could be soldered into standard MX pcbs. Is this correct?

Nope

edit: didn't realize the quote didn't go through on tapatalk  8)

but daniel's answer below is much better anyways  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 13:33:30 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 13:29:04 »
1) I bought mine from RS Components, but I see that Mouser and DigiKey sell them too (very brief search online for the only extant part, ML1A-11JW). The only other part was ML1B-11JW, the "robust" type that should be less prone to binding, but those went EOL a little while ago.

2) Signature Plastics may be able to get them produced as a group buy (if they still have tooling for that keycap mount and a suitable keycap profile), and Devlin advertise an ML keycap series (called ML series funnily enough — http://www.devlin.co.uk/products/components/keycaps.html) but I don't know what their MOQ is, blank or printed.

3) They're a fully distinct design and require a custom PCB. Note that they contain a built-in jumper (the J in the part number) to help with PCB routing.

The alternative if you like small switches is to keep your eye out for Kailh PG1350 series as those promise to be an improved ML, with linear and clicky options. The click bar design they use is also in the new SMD PG1511 series variants which can be bought now, but I've not seen PG1350 for sale yet. Note that these need their own custom keycaps. As do Alps SKFSAA (the nearest Alps switch to ML), which are available for sale NOS — they're not regular Alps mount.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 13:30:47 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 10:17:00 »
Thanks everyone! So essentially building on ultra-slim keyboard with a standard PCB is out of the question, correct?

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 13:07:22 »
You're better off waiting for this:  https://www.facebook.com/LinusTech/videos/1191507957612314/

Suppose to come out Q2 this year.  I'm eager waiting for it too.

:)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:29:17 »
Curious, the Tesoro keyboard doesn't use PG1350 series switches — they're using something similar.
Bore Awards

Offline Hyde

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:47:58 »
Curious, the Tesoro keyboard doesn't use PG1350 series switches — they're using something similar.

They're basically using a Cherry ML clone developed by Kailh I think.

But they moved the keycap stem to centre so it won't work with actual Cherry ML keycaps (which have a top or bottom shifted stem location something like that).

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:49:35 »
1) I bought mine from RS Components, but I see that Mouser and DigiKey sell them too (very brief search online for the only extant part, ML1A-11JW). The only other part was ML1B-11JW, the "robust" type that should be less prone to binding, but those went EOL a little while ago.

2) Signature Plastics may be able to get them produced as a group buy (if they still have tooling for that keycap mount and a suitable keycap profile), and Devlin advertise an ML keycap series (called ML series funnily enough — http://www.devlin.co.uk/products/components/keycaps.html) but I don't know what their MOQ is, blank or printed.

3) They're a fully distinct design and require a custom PCB. Note that they contain a built-in jumper (the J in the part number) to help with PCB routing.

The alternative if you like small switches is to keep your eye out for Kailh PG1350 series as those promise to be an improved ML, with linear and clicky options. The click bar design they use is also in the new SMD PG1511 series variants which can be bought now, but I've not seen PG1350 for sale yet. Note that these need their own custom keycaps. As do Alps SKFSAA (the nearest Alps switch to ML), which are available for sale NOS — they're not regular Alps mount.

to add - i believe ML caps are only available as pad-print and possibly dyesub. i don't think anyone does doubleshot ML caps.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 16:50:40 »
They're basically using a Cherry ML clone developed by Kailh I think.

The Kailh version is PG1350 series; you can see the various Kailh types here:

http://www.kailh.com/gb/products.asp?Categoryid=86&rel=1

That Tesoro switch is something similar but it's not a match for anything Kailh have yet demonstrated.
Bore Awards

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 10:18:31 »
Tesoro uses switches from Gateron AFAIK.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 13:23:55 »
Ah, that rings a bell. Gateron's website is awful. Now we need to know who of Gateron and Kailh has done a better job of this idea!
Bore Awards

Offline SNReloaded

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 23:32:44 »
Does anybody know if the Tesoro keyboard will be only coming in a full keyboard layout, or will there also be TKL or smaller keyboards.

I'm personally hoping for 75% or smaller will also be available, because these would be perfect for travel purposes.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:32:04 »
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82008.0

This might fit the bill but it's still under development.  :P