Author Topic: in-switch LED's causing keyboard to reboot/have issues?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline schoolbus

in-switch LED's causing keyboard to reboot/have issues?
« on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 10:38:18 »
Hi everyone,

I built another KBD75 recently w/ sip sockets for LED's and the switches actuate/etc everything seems to be working great.

However, after I start adding in-switch LED's to the SIP's probably after the third row up the board will inevitably end up in a re-boot loop with my PC. Restarting the board causes it to work fine again briefly but it'll always end up back to frozen/constant windows removal device sounds.

Symptoms go away when I remove them. I haven't dabbled too much time in isolating the specific "socket" where it happens or if it's something else. They're UV lights if that matters at all.

(I have built another KBD75 in same fashion but no issues like this).

I'll probably need to spend more time in root cause analysis to isolate if it's a specific sip set and trying to replace but I struggle to think that alone could be causing the board to just reboot? I would expect the LED's to simply not work if there was an issue like that, but the LED's appear to work as intended, it's just my board itself starts acting up.

Curious is anyone has ever encountered something like this or thoughts on the matter. I've investigated the soldering of just about every switch now and cant see anything out of the ordinary. I'm thankful everything works fine w/o LED's but obviously I would prefer to add them (it'll nag me now knowing I can't). I initially thought maybe there was a false solder joint connecting a diode and an LED or something that I made in error but visibly I can't see anything of the sort.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: in-switch LED's causing keyboard to reboot/have issues?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 11:16:07 »
Could it be drawing too much power as you add the LEDs?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 12:56:11 »
Could be that I suppose which would be a bummer since it works fine on the other one
:(

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 14:59:56 »
SpAmRaY is right in that it seems it would be power related. But if a USB device is drawing too much power the computer should simply turn off the USB port, or even the entire hub. A reboot just shouldn't happen.

It's a long shot but (I'm assuming Windows here) go into the device manager and under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" go through all entries and on the "Power management" tab make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked for everything. I really don't expect that to help but you'll be able to cross that off the list and say, "Yes, I tried that, too".
REΛLFORCE

Offline schoolbus

m
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 17:58:09 »
SpAmRaY is right in that it seems it would be power related. But if a USB device is drawing too much power the computer should simply turn off the USB port, or even the entire hub. A reboot just shouldn't happen.

It's a long shot but (I'm assuming Windows here) go into the device manager and under "Universal Serial Bus controllers" go through all entries and on the "Power management" tab make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked for everything. I really don't expect that to help but you'll be able to cross that off the list and say, "Yes, I tried that, too".

Just checked and they're all unchecked, but I think you guys are on to something. Seems to be related more to adding additional power draw.