Author Topic: KBP V60 MTS case swap  (Read 5780 times)

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
KBP V60 MTS case swap
« on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 09:23:58 »
On the Cherry MX version, all your standard 60% cases fit just fine, however there have been reports that the KBP V60 with Matias switches have different screw mounts. Interestingly enough the current 60% Alps PCB fits in the KBP V60 Matias case with only small modifications (nothing to do with screw mounts).

Has anyone found a case that works?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: KBP V60 MTS case swap
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 09:34:19 »
I have a V60 MQC, and you are correct that there are issues with putting it in a new case. The trouble is that the holes in the plate are not punched out to allow the screws to secure it. They are clearly there, they just aren't actually punched out. The stock case is secured with screws going through the bottom of the case. You could try to secure it to an after market case but putting some putty in the corners to hold it down. Or you could try to remove the punch outs in the plate to secure it normally.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 10:52:08 »
I was unaware about the punch outs, can you or someone provide pictures?

I assume I'd be able to dremel these out?

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 10:56:07 »
I was unaware about the punch outs, can you or someone provide pictures?

I assume I'd be able to dremel these out?

As soon as I have it in my hands I'll post up a pic of the plate. The trouble with removing them is that if you do something wrong, you could damage the PCB. If you went from underneath with a small enough tool to fit though the PCB hole, you may be able to get them to pop out. It is already perforated, they just aren't removed. I don't know why, it is super annoying.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 13:03:15 »
Here is a picture of the place on the plate where the mounting hole should be. If you can punch those out, you should be good to go.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 13:27:08 »
I wrote to MK about this and they sent some pics from the KBP rep:

110125-0

110127-1

As you can see, there are 4 potential mounts in a standard Aluminum case for 60% keyboards that might be used for the V60MTS. The one in the center has conflicts with essential components. There is only one opening currently in the V60MTS PCB and plate that can be used. They are going to consult with KBP engineers to examine the feasibility of using mounts 1 and 4. If it is feasible, they will consider making these available in future versions of the V60MTS.

It looks like it might be possible to drill a hole for site 1 and maybe for site 4.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 13:32:08 »
Very interesting...If you can get 3 screws in that should be enough to secure it reasonably well. It seems possible with a bit of effort. It is very annoying that they over looked this. The caps are bad enough, but to not be able to change the case, which is especially frustrating since mine came warped, is just dumb.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 September 2015, 13:47:15 »
You guys are awesome, thanks for the quick responses.

The response from the KBP team seems to ignore that screw mount where the punch-out seems to be over. I wonder if its also an issue with running a screw through pcb components or what not. They commented on screw mount #1.

Offline kebby

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 13:35:59 »
slaction has apparently successfully made a case swap using two screw holes and he told me this:
Quote from: slaction
I don't have my board anymore, but here is a pic of a scrapped V60MTS that I have laying around.

http://imgur.com/HHLxeM3

Out of the box only the #1 hole fits poker cases without changes.  On my board the #2 hole in the plate was already pre-drilled out, which is different than this image.  The part I used a dremel on was hole #3.  There is already a screw hole on the PCB, it just needs to be widened a small amount. The plate however is what needs to be notched out to make it work.

Attached the linked image here. So apparently there are multiple versions of the board and even his two individual ones differed in that one had a pre-drilled hole and the other one didn't.

Offline Panzerhawx

• Endgame is a lie. You just end up buying more.
    • cartel
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 17:59:26 »
I wrote to MK about this and they sent some pics from the KBP rep:

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

As you can see, there are 4 potential mounts in a standard Aluminum case for 60% keyboards that might be used for the V60MTS. The one in the center has conflicts with essential components. There is only one opening currently in the V60MTS PCB and plate that can be used. They are going to consult with KBP engineers to examine the feasibility of using mounts 1 and 4. If it is feasible, they will consider making these available in future versions of the V60MTS.

It looks like it might be possible to drill a hole for site 1 and maybe for site 4.

Bumping an old thread, but I actually took upon this challenge and found the same results.

The edge site near 4 can actually be used to screw in, for site 4. In the end, I just went with 3 and 4, which is not very secure but it holds.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 23:36:20 »
I've been told that the new versions of this keyboard have taken these mounting issues into consideration.