Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1621471 times)

Offline ItsBc

• BARACOOT
    • Portfolio
Re: GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #400 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 07:03:14 »
Going to sign up for the GB, just trying to decide which switches I want. :)

Offline edrago

« Reply #401 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 09:16:00 »
If you want something "flat" like that, your best bet is to try and find a Vortex CNC Pure case. It is a low profile design, similar to the one in those pictures, although not quite as low. The GH60 PCB will fit perfectly in the Pure CNC case.

You would order the GH60 PCB, switches, and stabilizers, and then try to find one of those Pure CNC cases.

This picture from Mashby shows the profile of the Pure CNC case quite well:
Show Image

Side-by-Side with Keyboard by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

I think this will do. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll research a little more and place my order soon

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #402 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 09:28:13 »
jd, looking back at your poker sale post, you said you had i believe said 'red, green and magenta' as led options for colors. and i know someone said wasd, esc, caps lock and some other keys (winkeys) might become available as an option...should i be putting down those colors in the comments section?

Those are colors I have for doing custom Pokers, which has nothing to do with the GH60 assembly. Once we know more about LED options, there may be some changes or options available. As of this moment, the only LED supported on the PCB is Caps Lock.

Never-mind about the first question, this one is much more important, how would one program this keyboard? =This one decides DEFINITELY if I get it or not, because I don't want to take it apart and I don't know any programming=

If you order an assembled GH60, the controller will be flashed with a firmware before it ships to you. There will be no further programming required, unless you want to change the keymap. Also, the plates are the "Phantom-style" where you can open the switch without desoldering.

Right I don't understand why the plates and names shown in post 2 don't match to the names on the order form.

I want an exact cherry replica of a HHKB, so am I ordering the ' true" HHKB plate'?

Cheers

Yes, order the "true HHKB" plate. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #403 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 09:29:54 »
My wallet hurts but can't wait to get these :D
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #404 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:52:43 »
Sorry for being daft, I just scrapped my previous order and changed it based on the example order from the OP.

Apologies for the noise.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #405 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:55:00 »
I wish we could get GBs like this, with high costs that are due a good amount of time away, into Matt3o's app, so that you can keep track of your order and cost, and easily modify if need be. I think I already forgot what I ordered...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #406 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:34:45 »
If we were able to switch to Matt3o's form at this point, I would even offer to transfer all the current orders into the new form. But I don't know how much he is planning to charge for use and/or hosting, if it's even an option.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #407 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:54:37 »
I wish we could get GBs like this, with high costs that are due a good amount of time away, into Matt3o's app, so that you can keep track of your order and cost, and easily modify if need be. I think I already forgot what I ordered...
If this is still possible, it would make it easier and more convenient for everyone. That's up to Matt3o if he is ok with this. Google doc is nice, but is still greatly limited.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #408 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 14:26:40 »
I was just thinking this same thing! I want to add some, but don't remember what I ordered.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 14:30:55 »
Matt3o's system>Google Docs ALL DAY LONG!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #410 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 14:47:41 »
Matt3o, where you at, son? People looking for yo goods. If we can get a price for it, depending on what it is, I would be willing to chip in. I think it's worth it.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #411 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:32:58 »

The GH60 does not support full backlighting. This was done by design, as backlighting was not one of the objectives of the project.

As of Rev. A of the PCB, the only LED supported is Caps Lock. In the final revision, there may be the option to add LEDs to the WASD cluster and Esc, but nothing has been finalized, yet.

If there are going to be any through holes (besides caps, esc, or space because those make good indicators), they should be on all the keys. Not everyone uses wasd to game. I personally use esdf and know people who use rdfg. Plus if I were a lefty I'd use ijkl. It's not like holes complicate things if they aren't hooked to anything.

Not a fan of gaming set backlighting (or keycaps, or anything gaming set related for that matter), but I'm sure there are people who are, and some might not use wasd.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:37:51 »
Never-mind about the first question, this one is much more important, how would one program this keyboard? =This one decides DEFINITELY if I get it or not, because I don't want to take it apart and I don't know any programming=

Read reply #2 on the first page!
Oh... its USB? For some weird reason I just assumed it would be a PS/2 keyboard... damn.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #413 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:39:24 »

Oh... its USB? For some weird reason I just assumed it would be a PS/2 keyboard... damn.

the end on the keyboard is a Mini-USB B, but I've seen plenty of cables with Mini-USB B to PS/2, so just get one of those! I need one :(
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline miscsubbin

« Reply #414 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:47:35 »
Hey I'm pretty new here and I was wondering if something like this would ever show up again (I'm not in the position to be buying a new keyboard now). If not,  what would I need to buy now that I wouldn't be able to in the future? PCB, plate, case (let's hope not)? That way I could buy as little as possible, and then finish it when I have the money.

Thanks, a lot.

Sounds about right.
But if you are really strapped for cash, you can do without the plate, but then just note that you have to buy PCB-mounted switches then. (Plate-mounted switches will not work without a plate).
Tinlong has an interest check for plastic cases, so they should be a lot cheaper than the aluminium ones. Not nearly as nice, but cheaper :P

So the things I would have to buy now are the PCB, plate (if I want it), and case. Are you sure that I definitely need to buy a case right now? My whole point is to get the parts that I would be unable to get at a later date, and sadly a case wouldn't allow for that. It seems like a pretty standard case design so I felt like it would show up more often. It's just a poker case right?

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #415 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:49:40 »

So the things I would have to buy now are the PCB, plate (if I want it), and case. Are you sure that I definitely need to buy a case right now? My whole point is to get the parts that I would be unable to get at a later date, and sadly a case wouldn't allow for that. It seems like a pretty standard case design so I felt like it would show up more often. It's just a poker case right?

Gonna be a while before these ship to you. You can wait on the case.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #416 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:51:54 »
The plates are probably something that you won't see being offered all too often, because it'll pretty much be assumed that everyone who bought a PCB bought a plate for it. If anything, you'd be most likely to find a Poker plate, but that limits you to that layout. So, if you're looking for a custom layout, now is really the time to get the plate for it.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #417 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:18:38 »

the end on the keyboard is a Mini-USB B, but I've seen plenty of cables with Mini-USB B to PS/2, so just get one of those! I need one :(
Would that make it have NKRO? If not then I'll still have to pass even though I would love to have a 60% keyboard.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline miscsubbin

« Reply #418 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:22:24 »
The plates are probably something that you won't see being offered all too often, because it'll pretty much be assumed that everyone who bought a PCB bought a plate for it. If anything, you'd be most likely to find a Poker plate, but that limits you to that layout. So, if you're looking for a custom layout, now is really the time to get the plate for it.

Ok, thanks a lot.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #419 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:23:31 »
Would that make it have NKRO? If not then I'll still have to pass even though I would love to have a 60% keyboard.
What exactly is your question? Are you worried about NKRO over USB?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #420 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:32:11 »

komar will have to answer this one but i am pretty sure it wouldn't support ps2, i thought i saw this discussed before.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:35:05 »
I'm worried about if I can get NKRO over the PS/2 thing that you were talking about. Also how much latency that there would be because I'm a gamer.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #422 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:37:40 »
You're going to get NKRO over USB via a USB to Mini USB cable. And that is pretty much your only option.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:41:32 »
I'm worried about if I can get NKRO over the PS/2 thing that you were talking about. Also how much latency that there would be because I'm a gamer.

NKRO is NKRO. There shouldn't be any difference between PS/2 or USB in that regard here. You shouldn't worry about latency either.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:44:15 by Broadmonkey »

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #424 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:47:45 »

NKRO is NKRO. There shouldn't be any difference between PS/2 or USB in that regard here. You shouldn't worry about latency either.

I'm worried.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:59:31 »
I believe the hardware itself supports NKRO and high polling frequency. But it will depend on the firmware to implement these two.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #426 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:02:28 »

Yeah... I'm worried too, I don't play COD so its not like I can just use any keyboard.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:53:06 »
Your mouse don't use PS/2 so why should your keyboard?

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 18:27:22 »
lol polling rates and nkro; you guys are drinking the marketing kool aid. 6kro is fine for literally everything. if you think you need all this stuff you are not worthy of the awesomeness that is the GH60.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #429 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 18:33:11 »
6KRO is fine, the latency is fine. Improve your reaction time and stop blaming the equipments :p

Offline gnubag

« Reply #430 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 18:45:12 »
if i have a PS/2 port and a ps/2 compatible device... why shouldn't i use ps/2

also unlike latency nkro can be critical for gaming if you play rhythm games like o2mania (or other maina games) where you would have to press 7 keys at once. :)  (just putting that out there)

Offline salmo

• messmore.org
« Reply #431 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 19:20:28 »

also unlike latency nkro can be critical for gaming if you play rhythm games like o2mania (or other maina games) where you would have to press 7 keys at once. :)  (just putting that out there)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm betting you'd have to write firmware that autodetects and speaks PS/2.  Or you'd have to use some sort of active USB to PS/2 adapter (read as latency).  The design basically has a teensy integrated into it, which has the hardware and software libraries to fairly easily create USB devices.  If you're wondering what can be done I'd ask around about what folks have done with the Phantom boards.  They're similar.

And this isn't directed at yo in particular but a lot of questions that have come up lately:
If you want weird layouts in hardware, or to write fun function layers, or just like doing stuff for yourself, then this is for you.  But if you want "gaming gear" that meets all the cool specs, you're probably best off buying that instead, unless you want to try and implement it (and risk not being able to).  This really is a DIY effort, that folks are trying to make as easy as possible (and doing an excellent job of it).

Offline gnubag

« Reply #432 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 20:11:06 »

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm betting you'd have to write firmware that autodetects and speaks PS/2.  Or you'd have to use some sort of active USB to PS/2 adapter (read as latency).  The design basically has a teensy integrated into it, which has the hardware and software libraries to fairly easily create USB devices.  If you're wondering what can be done I'd ask around about what folks have done with the Phantom boards.  They're similar.

And this isn't directed at yo in particular but a lot of questions that have come up lately:
If you want weird layouts in hardware, or to write fun function layers, or just like doing stuff for yourself, then this is for you.  But if you want "gaming gear" that meets all the cool specs, you're probably best off buying that instead, unless you want to try and implement it (and risk not being able to).  This really is a DIY effort, that folks are trying to make as easy as possible (and doing an excellent job of it).

for 1: i am just saying that if you can use PS/2 why not use it?

for 2: i just brought that up because people say that nkro has the same usefulness as 1k polling etc. while this is not true.
also true if you don't want to deal with DIY don't go DIY.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #433 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 20:57:48 »
I don't know if this question was answered but, what mx switch types can we ask for? I assume the for usual suspects are already included. (Ex. Blues, reds, blacks, browns) Is there a possibility of  requesting other switch types like greens, whites, greys??

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #434 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 21:23:08 »
6KRO is fine, the latency is fine. Improve your reaction time and stop blaming the equipments :p
I never blame the equipment except when the equipment is to blame. A few months ago I tested the theory of "6KRO is fine", by taking the PS/2 off of my Das and playing CS competitively with it. I noticed that my K/D was significantly less, thus proving my theory.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline vardhana

« Reply #435 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 22:37:48 »
I don't know if this question was answered but, what mx switch types can we ask for? I assume the for usual suspects are already included. (Ex. Blues, reds, blacks, browns) Is there a possibility of  requesting other switch types like greens, whites, greys??

See this...
what are the options for the switches?
Are can we get any type of switch? I'm looking at grey and whites

Switches and stabilizers

I was a little reluctant to include switches and stabilizers with this GB at first, because it'll just further complicate ordering, choices, invoice, and organization/management. But I figured it'll be a tad cheaper and easier to have a centralized place to get stuff.

7bit will just send 1 large order directly to us. Feel free to get it directly from him. We're not in control of how much they cost, choices, and when they're available. But ordering large amounts in a GB can be cheaper for everyone. Refer HERE for direct info and which switch choices are available. Then just fill out which ones you want in the order form.

As for stabilizers, I only have plate-mounted cherries, but I believe alaricljs will get a bunch of PCB-mounted cherry stabilizers soon. You can get Costars directly from WASDkeyboards, or if there are enough orders for the costars at the end, we'll put a large order for those as well. The problem is the spacebar wires. They can't be bought anywhere, so they'll have to be made. I'll post a guide so you can make your own. I'll make as many as I can, but it takes me ~10 minutes each, so I don't think I'll be making 200+ of them.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #436 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 23:15:35 »
I never blame the equipment except when the equipment is to blame. A few months ago I tested the theory of "6KRO is fine", by taking the PS/2 off of my Das and playing CS competitively with it. I noticed that my K/D was significantly less, thus proving my theory.

But 6KRO doesn't mean a maximum of 6 keys while you're playing...it means certain combinations of keys may only get you up to six. 

So how often did you run your test?  Did you do it blind?  Pretty poor "proof" of a theory...

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #437 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 02:32:58 »
But 6KRO doesn't mean a maximum of 6 keys while you're playing...it means certain combinations of keys may only get you up to six. 

No, in this case it means  maximum 6 different keys at a time. That is a limitation of the communication protocol (which can and have been side-stepped). That is actually 6 keys plus any combination of the 8 modifiers Shift, Alt, Win, Ctrl - left and right.

But you still need to be using very specific applications to need more than that. And ultra polling is just marketing bollocks. PS2 is the technology of yesterday...

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #438 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 03:08:22 »

Gamer here (mostly MMO based), but anything that changed going from PS/2 to USB resulting in a lower K:D was all in your mind.

I've researched this a bit and if you don't believe me a few searches into the difference between low-speed/full-speed USB v. PS/2 latency on modern motherboards along with how key presses register across different switches and controllers will tell you it's absolutely all in your head. Most of the more informative data can be found in posts on these forums even.

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #439 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 08:01:37 »

Have a friend randomly (with a generator/coin, not just deciding on his own) set up the board in either PS/2 or USB. Then have him record your k/d with a note as to the connection method. Repeat this a couple hundred times. You will not be told which was which until the end of the study.

Then your results will be worth looking at and not totally meaningless.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #440 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:10:46 »
So the gaming bull**** has arrived to geekhack... run while you can!

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #441 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:36:28 »
If you want to attract more people who are new to the 60% scene I suggest adding a section on sourcing keycaps (as related to various layouts) in one of the first three posts.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #442 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 10:01:01 »
If you want to attract more people who are new to the 60% scene I suggest adding a section on sourcing keycaps (as related to various layouts) in one of the first three posts.

The 60% form factor keyboard has been established for some time now. I think most people know about it already. In fact, I would say that, with all the major manufacturers releasing 60% boards onto the market right now, 60% is the growing trend right now.

However, the GH60 project was designed from the beginning as a DIY, choose-your-own-layout keyboard project. We will provide assembly for those who aren't comfortable building their own board, so that we don't exclude that group from participating and from their chance to own a GH60.

That said, sourcing keycaps is beyond the scope of this group buy. If there is a specific question regarding a certain choice of layout, I would be happy to answer it. Most of the layouts available would be covered by a standard base + mods + tsangan kit offered in the many keycap group buys going on now. Poker layout would not require the tsangan, and ISO would of course require an ISO kit.

in memoriam

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #443 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 10:48:11 »
Hm, this is looking more and more attractive to me... especially with my Leopold at home being on the fritz. The time may be right to try some new modded switches. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #444 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:11:46 »
i told some people who were not familiar of the gh60 over at reddit and they were kinda turned off with supplying their own case, usb cable and keycap set

i am fine with providing all of those things on my own. i think it makes it more fun because it's more personal
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:14:00 by Dubsgalore »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #445 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 11:18:41 »
over at reddit

Well, there's your problem right there!
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #446 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:01:06 »
over at reddit

Well, there's your problem right there!

I'm over at that reddit and I want this...then again I started here, so that may be why. :D
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Chesshire

« Reply #447 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:31:18 »
I read through it and there was a lot to take in... and I am fairly new to all of this, but if I were to get the GH60 plate would that allow me to mess around and try out different layouts? I am torn between the HHKB and the Poker pure.

Offline gnubag

« Reply #448 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:34:35 »
I read through it and there was a lot to take in... and I am fairly new to all of this, but if I were to get the GH60 plate would that allow me to mess around and try out different layouts? I am torn between the HHKB and the Poker pure.
if you want to try layouts with a plate, take the universal plate, so you don't have to resolder everything if you want to swap layouts. (because of the split backspace)

also you have to get 2 case tops because of the hhkb layout.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
GH60 Group Buy
« Reply #449 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:58:25 »

If you want to try and mess around and try different layouts, the Universal ANSI plate will allow you to do that. However, I would recommend not using a plate until you decide which layout you want to stick with. The plate is entirely optional. There are several GH60 prototype boards out there right now with no plate installed at all.

With the Universal plates, you need to know where the switches mount to the PCB, as there is no guide for where to install them in the holes with "universal" positions.

in memoriam