Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2775028 times)

Offline megasthenes

Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #6450 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 11:54:17 »
IBM KB-7953 (ISO-DE), despite having some other boards (G80-1800 with older blacks, modern G80-3000 with new blacks which suck, IBM Model M) this is the one I'm always coming back to. It just feels right.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6451 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 12:56:02 »
IBM KB-7953 (ISO-DE), despite having some other boards (G80-1800 with older blacks, modern G80-3000 with new blacks which suck, IBM Model M) this is the one I'm always coming back to. It just feels right.

The 8923/7953/etc model families are some of the best rubber domes out there. I keep a couple of black and beige 8923s around for use in environments where I don't want to bring a "good" mechanical keyboard. They also look good if you swap the keys to make a contrasting key/case combination.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6452 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 19:04:32 »

You're dual-wielding the battleship and battlecruiser? That poor desk must want to be set ablaze to be put out of its misery. Are you amassing an invasion fleet?

*Awesome Leading Edge Keyboard*

I am using my Leading Edge DC-2014. It could use some more cleaning I suppose, the yellowing stays though. It gives it character. The original cable is safe at home, I just like to lug it around sometimes since it is my only blue alps board.

It's nuts, I won't pretend it looks sane, it doesn't. But it has helped me with my RSI alot, and it allows me to use two of my favorite keyboards. I do also just enjoy seeing so many keys, I'm trying to setup more macros I can use day to day to make use of them all.

It certainly sounds like a battlefleet while typing!  ;D

I love the yellowing on your leading edge, I had one for a time coincidentally, not in the XT layout like that, it was a Model M clone if I recall, I need to find a picture of it. I wish I still had it now, it was a cool looking keyboard.

on that note, take an art for it, I love the leading edge logo and yours brought back good memories, so you can have a pixel one for your signature.  ;)

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2020, 20:10:25 by jacethesaltsculptor »

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6453 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 08:49:00 »
It's nuts, I won't pretend it looks sane, it doesn't. But it has helped me with my RSI alot, and it allows me to use two of my favorite keyboards. I do also just enjoy seeing so many keys, I'm trying to setup more macros I can use day to day to make use of them all.

It certainly sounds like a battlefleet while typing!  ;D

I love the yellowing on your leading edge, I had one for a time coincidentally, not in the XT layout like that, it was a Model M clone if I recall, I need to find a picture of it. I wish I still had it now, it was a cool looking keyboard.

on that note, take an art for it, I love the leading edge logo and yours brought back good memories, so you can have a pixel one for your signature.  ;)

Hey, it looks cool. Who cares if it looks sane or not? Makes it look like some sort of evil genius' lair, or a recording studio. Is that a Hackintosh you've got there, or is there a Mac hidden somewhere in there? I can't imagine that poor desk could handle the weight of a Mac Pro added to it.

Nice on the M clone. What sort of switches did it have? What made you part with it? I'd love to see it. I agree on the logo. It reminds me of 80's movie evil corporation logos like Terminator's Cyberdyne Systems, or Robocop's OCP.

Did you seriously just make that for me? You must have read my mind. When I set up my profile and signature just recently I was disappointed that I couldn't find a DC-2014. Thank you, very much.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6454 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 19:16:59 »
Hey, it looks cool. Who cares if it looks sane or not? Makes it look like some sort of evil genius' lair, or a recording studio. Is that a Hackintosh you've got there, or is there a Mac hidden somewhere in there? I can't imagine that poor desk could handle the weight of a Mac Pro added to it.

Nice on the M clone. What sort of switches did it have? What made you part with it? I'd love to see it. I agree on the logo. It reminds me of 80's movie evil corporation logos like Terminator's Cyberdyne Systems, or Robocop's OCP.

Did you seriously just make that for me? You must have read my mind. When I set up my profile and signature just recently I was disappointed that I couldn't find a DC-2014. Thank you, very much.

I'm glad you think so, It's not caught on with my friends, but then again they don't have my wrists so I'm cool with it. I hope someday it's either an Evil Genius lair, or a recording studio. (I'd need more genius first though.)

The Mac is actually a nomachine session to a Mac Pro in my front living room. I couldn't fit it in this room, the picture doesn't quite do the justice to how small the room is, but I manage to squeeze in what I can.

Honestly, I had the keyboard before I really got into keyboards. I wish I honestly knew. I knew it was mechanical, and it had a 5 pin DIN connector.

The story of how I lost it is fairly long, but it revolved around a guy I knew who had a teacher from the late 80's at a College up in Phoenix. Well the student caught up with his professor and found out that some of the old photo work they did on a computer from that time was STILL on the computer after all these years! (This was 2015) However no-one he knew had access to a keyboard old enough. Enter me.

I had bought the keyboard at a yard sale for a few bucks, because it was cool. I kept it in the closet, and my buddy told me about how the teacher had his pictures, but no-one had access to the computer because no-one had one with a "Strange Connector" I put 2 and 2 together and got it out and visited Phoenix with him and in the afternoon of that day, booted up Windows 95 on it, and got the photos onto floppies and then onto a Flash drive. The professor then asked if he could keep it so he could put it on display in the college up there in Mesa. I marked it as a donation and I'm told it's still sitting in a case up there in a "history of computing" exhibit, which I thought was pretty cool.

The logo for it was what got me to look at the keyboard in the first place, and when I typed on it, I realized it was mechanical and bought it. I didn't know anything about adapters at the time either so I was more than willing to give it away. If only I knew what I knew now!

Here are the only two pictures I have of it I can find right now:233369-0233371-1

And yeah, it's no biggie, I enjoy drawing the little guys. I hope you enjoy it.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6455 on: Fri, 10 January 2020, 23:42:24 »
I'm glad you think so, It's not caught on with my friends, but then again they don't have my wrists so I'm cool with it. I hope someday it's either an Evil Genius lair, or a recording studio. (I'd need more genius first though.)

The Mac is actually a nomachine session to a Mac Pro in my front living room. I couldn't fit it in this room, the picture doesn't quite do the justice to how small the room is, but I manage to squeeze in what I can.

Honestly, I had the keyboard before I really got into keyboards. I wish I honestly knew. I knew it was mechanical, and it had a 5 pin DIN connector.

The story of how I lost it is fairly long, but it revolved around a guy I knew who had a teacher from the late 80's at a College up in Phoenix. Well the student caught up with his professor and found out that some of the old photo work they did on a computer from that time was STILL on the computer after all these years! (This was 2015) However no-one he knew had access to a keyboard old enough. Enter me.

I had bought the keyboard at a yard sale for a few bucks, because it was cool. I kept it in the closet, and my buddy told me about how the teacher had his pictures, but no-one had access to the computer because no-one had one with a "Strange Connector" I put 2 and 2 together and got it out and visited Phoenix with him and in the afternoon of that day, booted up Windows 95 on it, and got the photos onto floppies and then onto a Flash drive. The professor then asked if he could keep it so he could put it on display in the college up there in Mesa. I marked it as a donation and I'm told it's still sitting in a case up there in a "history of computing" exhibit, which I thought was pretty cool.

The logo for it was what got me to look at the keyboard in the first place, and when I typed on it, I realized it was mechanical and bought it. I didn't know anything about adapters at the time either so I was more than willing to give it away. If only I knew what I knew now!

And yeah, it's no biggie, I enjoy drawing the little guys. I hope you enjoy it.

I know a guy that works for M$, his name is Matt. I got one of those old 4.1 Mac Pros at a recycler, upgraded it to a 5.1, upgraded to a faster Xeon, dropped an old graphics card in it, a GTX 670 or something, put a red circle with a slash through it decal over the Apple logo, plastidipped a Windows 10 logo next to it, installed Windows 10, dubbed it the Matt Pro, and gave it to him. It was playing Doom 2016 surprisingly well for such an old machine, especially being a single cpu version.

Great old computers.

So, it is ANSI but it is missing the pen tray (part of me hopes that's what it is for, because it is so useful as such). I can't say I have ever seen one of those before. You should swap them a plain Jane Model M for it back. I'm sure more people would recognize it, and it is obviously a bigger piece of computing history. If it is weird/unique enough, Chyros may even want to borrow it for a video.

Cool story on the pictures. Anything interesting? I imagine they would be pretty low res and ... color deprived, being that old. I wonder how the teacher remembered that that exact computer happened to have those pictures, but maybe classrooms of the sort were different back then, with only one to begin with. I like the idea of XT/AT switchable keyboards, but I still know it is unlikely that I'll ever encounter that sort of scenario myself.

I very much enjoy it. I figured when I first looked for pixel art for it that it would probably be one of the few keyboards that didn't just look like a rectangle ... with small squares inside of it, and you did it just as I imagined. There's no mistaking at all that that's a Leading Edge.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #6456 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 04:30:00 »

The NEC APC-H412. Very nice board. It didn't cost too much but the shipping from US to Finland was brutal. But I wanted to try the NEC blue ovals.
Switch operation is smooth and the sound is pleasant and there's something really elegant about the whole typing experience on the board.
The pinging is something I wouldn't mind getting rid of, but on the other hand it brings some character to the board so it doesn't really bother me too much.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6457 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 06:13:17 »
I know a guy that works for M$, his name is Matt. I got one of those old 4.1 Mac Pros at a recycler, upgraded it to a 5.1, upgraded to a faster Xeon, dropped an old graphics card in it, a GTX 670 or something, put a red circle with a slash through it decal over the Apple logo, plastidipped a Windows 10 logo next to it, installed Windows 10, dubbed it the Matt Pro, and gave it to him. It was playing Doom 2016 surprisingly well for such an old machine, especially being a single cpu version.

Great old computers.

So, it is ANSI but it is missing the pen tray (part of me hopes that's what it is for, because it is so useful as such). I can't say I have ever seen one of those before. You should swap them a plain Jane Model M for it back. I'm sure more people would recognize it, and it is obviously a bigger piece of computing history. If it is weird/unique enough, Chyros may even want to borrow it for a video.

Cool story on the pictures. Anything interesting? I imagine they would be pretty low res and ... color deprived, being that old. I wonder how the teacher remembered that that exact computer happened to have those pictures, but maybe classrooms of the sort were different back then, with only one to begin with. I like the idea of XT/AT switchable keyboards, but I still know it is unlikely that I'll ever encounter that sort of scenario myself.

I very much enjoy it. I figured when I first looked for pixel art for it that it would probably be one of the few keyboards that didn't just look like a rectangle ... with small squares inside of it, and you did it just as I imagined. There's no mistaking at all that that's a Leading Edge.

A Matt Pro, that's fantastic. Do you have pictures? I'd love to see that.  :D

But I know what you are on about, I got the dual processor version for a steal because it was being thrown away, I figured resetting it's PRAM wouldn't hurt, and it fired right up fine. It's been on for about 4 months now. I had a project years ago to become familiar with multiple OS's and in the process got used to a few Mac Apps, so having them available on a machine with a pretty hefty amount of power is very handy to me. Plus it lets me sort my thought processes between work and play easier.

(Windows=Play, Mac=Media work,Linux=@Real Work)

I found out which one it is with a bit of researching: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Sejin_Electron_EAT-1010

It's a leading edge version of that. And the descriptions I've found fit it well, it was a heavy switch and they felt very worn out. I've thought about getting it back, but I do like having contributed to a "museum" of sorts. (Funnily enough after finding out what switches they are, Chyros had already done one. Not that I wouldn't love to find something to give him for a video one day.)

They were lightly edited fashion designs for blouses, skirts, dresses, and some promotional art, all absolutely tiny, as we could fit around 20 on a 3.5 floppy. They were very retro looking, I wish I kept a few, they would have been cool blown up.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6458 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 22:26:50 »
Show Image

The NEC APC-H412. Very nice board. It didn't cost too much but the shipping from US to Finland was brutal. But I wanted to try the NEC blue ovals.
Switch operation is smooth and the sound is pleasant and there's something really elegant about the whole typing experience on the board.
The pinging is something I wouldn't mind getting rid of, but on the other hand it brings some character to the board so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Nice board you've got there. How would you compare the switches to other types of clicky switches?

A Matt Pro, that's fantastic. Do you have pictures? I'd love to see that.  :D

But I know what you are on about, I got the dual processor version for a steal because it was being thrown away, I figured resetting it's PRAM wouldn't hurt, and it fired right up fine. It's been on for about 4 months now. I had a project years ago to become familiar with multiple OS's and in the process got used to a few Mac Apps, so having them available on a machine with a pretty hefty amount of power is very handy to me. Plus it lets me sort my thought processes between work and play easier.

(Windows=Play, Mac=Media work,Linux=@Real Work)

I found out which one it is with a bit of researching: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Sejin_Electron_EAT-1010

It's a leading edge version of that. And the descriptions I've found fit it well, it was a heavy switch and they felt very worn out. I've thought about getting it back, but I do like having contributed to a "museum" of sorts. (Funnily enough after finding out what switches they are, Chyros had already done one. Not that I wouldn't love to find something to give him for a video one day.)

They were lightly edited fashion designs for blouses, skirts, dresses, and some promotional art, all absolutely tiny, as we could fit around 20 on a 3.5 floppy. They were very retro looking, I wish I kept a few, they would have been cool blown up.

I do, somewhere. I'll send them in a PM at some point. No need to keep taking over this thread with random stuff. Crazy that someone was throwing that thing out without having done any cursory troubleshooting. At least you saved it and put it to use. I bet it has been running for 4 months because every time you turn the monsters on the lights in the room flicker. lol. I consider MacOS/OSX to be a bit of a joke OS all in all, but I could understand people wanting to compartmentalize like that if they have the means. I can't think of anything that can be done on it that can't be done just as well or better on other operating systems. I picked up a 4.1, upgraded to 5.1, upgraded the CPUs, and got it running the latest possible OSX, High Sierra I think it is? Did it for my best friend, since he makes music and has refused to ever learn any software other than Garabgeband. He ends up with so many tracks running that older/slower systems with less memory weren't cutting it. I think that one came with 16gb of ram, picked it up on Craigslist for $100.

Ah, yes, so you knew before I even sent that PM. Yeah, I don't think Futaba switches are all that uncommon, or even universally liked. People seem divided about them.

I'm sure your friend still has them somewhere.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #6459 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 02:53:46 »
Show Image

Nice board you've got there. How would you compare the switches to other types of clicky switches?

The very first two things that stood out to me when I first tested the board was

a) switch travel, which feels longer than on SMK 2ng gen and SKCM white, which are my most used clicky switches.
b) weighting, which is very light.

I doubt they are lighter than MX blues, but they certainly are not that much heavier either. But I'd have to take a board with MX blues out to make a proper comparison and I have a restless 1-year old on my lap currently, so I'm trying to make this brief :)

The whole event of pressing a key on the board is very nicely balanced. The tactile event is sharp enough but not too sharp to ruin the smoothness. There's a higher pitched component in the click, but it's not overpowering and doesn't sound like someone was doing unpleasant experiments on your ear, like it can be with MX blues. I'm making the comparison because the sound has some resemblance to the MX blue. But the NECs sound deeper and more thocky.

The more I type on these the more I like them, and I'm not surprised that these are so well liked by some.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2020, 02:56:08 by ollir_ »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6460 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 05:12:11 »
The very first two things that stood out to me when I first tested the board was

a) switch travel, which feels longer than on SMK 2ng gen and SKCM white, which are my most used clicky switches.
b) weighting, which is very light.

I doubt they are lighter than MX blues, but they certainly are not that much heavier either. But I'd have to take a board with MX blues out to make a proper comparison and I have a restless 1-year old on my lap currently, so I'm trying to make this brief :)

The whole event of pressing a key on the board is very nicely balanced. The tactile event is sharp enough but not too sharp to ruin the smoothness. There's a higher pitched component in the click, but it's not overpowering and doesn't sound like someone was doing unpleasant experiments on your ear, like it can be with MX blues. I'm making the comparison because the sound has some resemblance to the MX blue. But the NECs sound deeper and more thocky.

The more I type on these the more I like them, and I'm not surprised that these are so well liked by some.

Nice. I assume the unpleasant experiments is a reference to Cherry MX's rattle. Smoothness compared to your white alps? Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper. Anything better than Cherry MX Blue is more than good enough for me.

Offline ollir_

« Reply #6461 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 09:41:46 »
Nice. I assume the unpleasant experiments is a reference to Cherry MX's rattle. Smoothness compared to your white alps? Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper. Anything better than Cherry MX Blue is more than good enough for me.

Meant mostly the click of MX blues, which sounds too artificial and like it just doesn't belong plus it's at really annoying frequency. And smoothness overall but I guess I am comparing to the SKCM mostly as that has been my definition of smooth clicky switch up to date.

As I'm typing this I also notice that you can type really softly with the board. With Alps and SMK I deliberately go for full bottom out, because it sounds and feel the best that way, but these NECs allow for much softer action while still retaining most of what makes them feel so good. Fantastic! But to get the most out of these, I like to bottom out properly as well :D

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #6462 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 15:21:27 »
So, my F77 Model F keyboard from Model F Labs arrived yesterday, and that is what im using.  Quickly becoming my new favorite.

Offline pmaddocks

« Reply #6463 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 15:44:14 »
During the holiday price drop on Drop, I bought a OLKB preonic with Red Samurai caps and have been LOVING it...once I got used to the layout. The biggest problem I have had is going back to touch typing on my laptop with the staggered keys.

Offline Disciplexeon

« Reply #6464 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 16:45:27 »
I am currently using a used Dell AT101W with linear modded, greased, black alps. A few days ago, I bought an AKKO 3068 SP Ocean Star, with Cherry reds, that I will leave stock, or lube, because Cherry switches scratchy as frick. :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6465 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 22:39:52 »
So, my F77 Model F keyboard from Model F Labs arrived yesterday, and that is what im using.  Quickly becoming my new favorite.

Lucky

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #6466 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 23:31:19 »

Lucky

Yea man, looking at the thread and seeing how few have shipped I thought so too.  But ive also been eyeing this keyboard for roughly 4 years now and was beginning to think it would just never happen.  So glad to see that this project has finally started bearing some fruit!  So far I think it is worth the wait.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6467 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:07:38 »
Yea man, looking at the thread and seeing how few have shipped I thought so too.  But ive also been eyeing this keyboard for roughly 4 years now and was beginning to think it would just never happen.  So glad to see that this project has finally started bearing some fruit!  So far I think it is worth the wait.

I can't complain too much, I already have an F AT and XT. An ANSI F77 in that chunky zinc case though. It must be thunderous. I imagine if an earthquake destroyed a recipient's home, that could be all that remained intact in the ruins.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #6468 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:16:44 »

I can't complain too much, I already have an F AT and XT. An ANSI F77 in that chunky zinc case though. It must be thunderous. I imagine if an earthquake destroyed a recipient's home, that could be all that remained intact in the ruins.

It is denser than a brick (almost like a metal ingot of pure keyboard), and I love it.  Now that the "F" key problem I originally had is no longer giving me issues, I am in absolute awe of this keyboard.  It was definitely worth the 4 year wait.  Admittedly ive never typed on a Model F before, so I can't compare it to the originals, but it is definitely distinct from my memories of the Model M, and superior to my Unicomp (by a big margin).  Louder, but with better feels.  I don't know the press weight (or whatever you call it), but it is definitely a lighter keypress than what im used to with a BS board, and im liking it a lot.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:54:59 by eternalmetal »

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6469 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:25:15 »
It is denser than a brick (almost like a metal ingot of pure keyboard), and I love it.  Now that the "F" key problem I originally had is no longer giving me issues, I am in absolute awe of this keyboard.  It was definitely worth the 4 year wait.  Admittedly ive never typed on a Model F before, so I can't compare it to the originals, but it is definitely distinat from my memories of the Model M, and superior to my Unicomp (by a big margin).  Louder, but with better feels.  I don't know the press weight (or whatever you call it), but it is definitely a lighter keypress than what im used to with a BS board, and im liking it a lot.

You've never typed on a Model F before and you shelled out for a brand new one? That was a leap of faith. I have done the same sort of thing before though myself.

Capacitive BS is more consistently smooth, and lighter, for sure. When I first got an M, I didn't even want to type on it. It was too heavy for me at the time, and honestly didn't even feel all that great to me either (I haven't inspected either of my Model Ms yet, but the guy I got one from takes good care of his). I jumped right in and stayed in with an F though. It will trounce any Model M, not just the Unicomps.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 January 2020, 20:12:12 by Maledicted »

Offline livewirerc

« Reply #6470 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:31:27 »
I've been stuck on HHKB layout lately, so I'm primarily typing on either this Tokyo60 Seq1 with Holy Pandas and GMK BoW (my work keyboard), or on my new HHKB Professional Hybrid Type-S (everywhere else). This new keeb is everything I've wanted out of an HHKB and then some. Great to have something I'm not feeling driven to mod.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #6471 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:53:32 »
It is denser than a brick (almost like a metal ingot of pure keyboard), and I love it.  Now that the "F" key problem I originally had is no longer giving me issues, I am in absolute awe of this keyboard.  It was definitely worth the 4 year wait.  Admittedly ive never typed on a Model F before, so I can't compare it to the originals, but it is definitely distinat from my memories of the Model M, and superior to my Unicomp (by a big margin).  Louder, but with better feels.  I don't know the press weight (or whatever you call it), but it is definitely a lighter keypress than what im used to with a BS board, and im liking it a lot.

You've never typed on a Model F before and you shelled out for a brand new one? That was a leap of faith. I have done the same sort of thing before though myself.

Capacitive BS is more consistently smooth, and lighter, for sure. When I first got an M, I didn't even want to type on it. It twas too heavy for me at the time, and honestly didn't even feel all that great to me either (I haven't inspected either of my Model Ms yet, but the guy I got one from takes good care of his). I jumped right in and stayed in with an F though. It will trounce any Model M, not just the Unicomps.

I got myself a new job about 5 months ago in my career, work nightshift, and get tons of overtime, so shelling out $350 for a keyboard I knew I would like was basically nothing.  As for the comparison with the Model M, im going to have to wait until I get mine.  Though if the Unicomp is indicative of what a vintage M will feel like, im pretty certain that I will prefer the feel of the Model F.  But the sound of the M is nostalgic to me, so it will probably get frequent use nonetheless.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6472 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 18:39:36 »

:eek: I'm so jealous, I'd kill to try some new Model F's, I'm really curious what the feel of a new one is like. I've got a new old stock Bigfoot, but I don't think even it would hold a candle to a brand new manufactured F.

I got myself a new job about 5 months ago in my career, work nightshift, and get tons of overtime, so shelling out $350 for a keyboard I knew I would like was basically nothing.  As for the comparison with the Model M, im going to have to wait until I get mine.  Though if the Unicomp is indicative of what a vintage M will feel like, im pretty certain that I will prefer the feel of the Model F.  But the sound of the M is nostalgic to me, so it will probably get frequent use nonetheless.

Model M's are thock-ier, and have a heavier switch, Which is actually more my personal preference, but despite that I type a wee bit more on my F122 because it's feel is just so perfect, and it's built like a tank. If what you say is true about the new F77's I may have to get one of the next run's. I'd love to have a brand new one.

Still enjoy! It's always nice to hear someone take to the Buckling Spring lifestyle. ;)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6473 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 20:13:52 »
Model M's are thock-ier, and have a heavier switch, Which is actually more my personal preference, but despite that I type a wee bit more on my F122 because it's feel is just so perfect, and it's built like a tank. If what you say is true about the new F77's I may have to get one of the next run's. I'd love to have a brand new one.

Still enjoy! It's always nice to hear someone take to the Buckling Spring lifestyle. ;)

I'm sure all it takes for most is a few presses, then there's no escaping it.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #6474 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 20:24:55 »

I'm sure all it takes for most is a few presses, then there's no escaping it.

I'm honestly curious how many people would turn to the BS lifestyle if they had a Model M? I suppose if there was newer cooler looking ones, that'd change a few things, most of them look retro, and you have to sort of be into that lifestyle.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6475 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 20:37:44 »
I've been really enjoying the blue alps build that I finished over winter break for my Jane CE. The switches initially resulted in a higher error rate for me when typing but I have now become used to the feeling. It definitely makes me want to do some more alps builds.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Lovepig78

« Reply #6476 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 21:47:23 »
Vortex Race 3

Offline Quercus

• I have not been murdered.
« Reply #6477 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 09:44:01 »
January 1987 IBM model M that I restored. It had what I think was bbq sauce caked inside the case when I opened it. I'm doing light data entry at the moment. I also have a Vortex Tab 90M with Cherry blues if I do a lot of typing. At home it's a Vortex Core 40% (Cherry blues) with a Maypad kit numpad I built with Cherry Greens.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6478 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 16:37:44 »
Wish I had buckling springs. I think they would be the perfect switch for me. I need something with a defined bump, and I don't think White Alps are tactile enough. I think the Model F's capacitive buckling springs would be just the thing. Even the Model M would probably be a better fit for me. I'm using Fujitsu 3rd gen clickies right now, and while they feel very smooth, they are linear switches at heart.

My tastes have been developing. After using Greens, I thought I was a linear guy, and then I fell in love with Whites because I loved their sound. I thought they were so tactile compared to MX Blue when I got them, and I still love the sound they make. It is a bit annoying how there's no travel after the initial bump, and I can't feel the second bump that makes Alps linears so nice.

I really like these Fujitsu clicky switches, and I WISH they were more tactile, plus being undamped. I think CBS would be the best fit for me. What do you guys think?

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6479 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 17:29:21 »
Model F is excellent. I think the next best thing in the Cherry mount world are Kailh box jade. I feel like I'm recommending those all over the place, but they really are the best and most pronounced tactility currently available in the Cherry compatible switch world. Input club is promising the moon (AKA beamspring feel) with their Silo Beam switches, but those are still in development, so results remain to be seen.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6480 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 18:00:28 »
Wish I had buckling springs. I think they would be the perfect switch for me. I need something with a defined bump, and I don't think White Alps are tactile enough. I think the Model F's capacitive buckling springs would be just the thing. Even the Model M would probably be a better fit for me. I'm using Fujitsu 3rd gen clickies right now, and while they feel very smooth, they are linear switches at heart.

My tastes have been developing. After using Greens, I thought I was a linear guy, and then I fell in love with Whites because I loved their sound. I thought they were so tactile compared to MX Blue when I got them, and I still love the sound they make. It is a bit annoying how there's no travel after the initial bump, and I can't feel the second bump that makes Alps linears so nice.

I really like these Fujitsu clicky switches, and I WISH they were more tactile, plus being undamped. I think CBS would be the best fit for me. What do you guys think?

I don't have any complicated alps white switches, but if they're as close to blues as others say, you would actually be losing a lot of tactility in going to buckling spring. I don't think pronounced tactility is the magic of buckling spring though, moreso how effortlessly/smoothly it builds in pressure until the spring buckles and you hit the plate. If you want even more tactility than white alps, then this:

Model F is excellent. I think the next best thing in the Cherry mount world are Kailh box jade. I feel like I'm recommending those all over the place, but they really are the best and most pronounced tactility currently available in the Cherry compatible switch world. Input club is promising the moon (AKA beamspring feel) with their Silo Beam switches, but those are still in development, so results remain to be seen.

Kailh thick clicks are more tactile than alps, which are much more tactile than buckling spring.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6481 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 20:49:06 »

Kailh thick clicks are more tactile than alps, which are much more tactile than buckling spring.
I gotta disagree with you there. To me, box jade tactile drop-off feels very roughly equivalent to capacitive buckling spring, though the actuation point is higher on the Kailhs. Pine white and blue Alps feel different than both to me, and the actuation point is higher still.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6482 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 08:29:20 »

I gotta disagree with you there. To me, box jade tactile drop-off feels very roughly equivalent to capacitive buckling spring, though the actuation point is higher on the Kailhs. Pine white and blue Alps feel different than both to me, and the actuation point is higher still.

What is it that we disagree on then? All of that is certainly true. Buckling spring isn't exactly the most tactile thing around is all I was saying. I do agree that the tactile event of thick clicks is similar in feel to buckling spring, up to but not including the bump itself. I didn't say anything about point of actuation. They're certainly more tactile than most "tactile" switches I have tried, but they're actually fairly smooth throughout their travel. There's not much of a bump at all, which is fine by me, given their other characteristics. The tactile event, itself, is the sudden drop.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6483 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 11:21:29 »
I have revised what I am looking for in terms of tactility. White Alps feel very "refined" in tactility. MX compatible is not refined.  Model Fs are supposed to be very smooth AND very refined. And I want to enjoy them after months of typing on them, which I think I will. I've kind of given up on my whites since they don't feel as nice as they were when I got them. I think that has to do with enjoyability over long periods of time, and I can't think of anything better than capacitive buckling springs.

I'm dead set on getting an F XT.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6484 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:31:17 »
I have revised what I am looking for in terms of tactility. White Alps feel very "refined" in tactility. MX compatible is not refined.  Model Fs are supposed to be very smooth AND very refined. And I want to enjoy them after months of typing on them, which I think I will. I've kind of given up on my whites since they don't feel as nice as they were when I got them. I think that has to do with enjoyability over long periods of time, and I can't think of anything better than capacitive buckling springs.

It really is worth saving a little more, and waiting for a good deal on an AT. The XT layout is too weird for modern typists. If you're lucky, and vigilant, they do still go for around $150 on Ebay from time to time.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6485 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:33:31 »

It really is worth saving a little more, and waiting for a good deal on an AT. The XT layout is too weird for modern typists. If you're lucky, and vigilant, they do still go for around $150 on Ebay from time to time.

Someone on mechmarket is willing to give me one for $125. As long as the alphas are in their modern places, I don't mind. I barely use the arrow keys anyway, and it isn't that bad using a mouse to select where you want to go. I have a gaming mouse, so low DPI for the win :)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6486 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:33:56 »
"willing to give me one for $125"

By this, I mean a Model F XT.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6487 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 13:53:35 »
"willing to give me one for $125"

By this, I mean a Model F XT.

That's more than I would ever pay for an XT, but I'm also cheap. They're much more common than an AT, having been made for years throughout the 1980s as opposed to months. The XT's arrow keys are the same as an AT, and both are fine. It is the stepped modifiers and vertical enter that are terrible. The metal lower casing is wonderful, but it can't make up for the layout.

I thought I could deal with it too. I was wrong.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6488 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 15:20:24 »
The misaligned enter key and oddly placed (for someone used to ANSI layout) shift keys are the XT layout deal breakers for me.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6489 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 16:41:55 »
Thanks guys, I notified the person I wouldn't be buying from them. Going to look for an AT layout one, or see if I can get a new-production model.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6490 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 08:19:11 »
Lubed and stickered ergo-clear Filco TKL. Honestly I haven't even had the inkling to use any of my other 6 boards since this one was finished. Dat grail.

Living that FILCO life
234126-0

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #6491 on: Thu, 23 January 2020, 09:21:46 »
I dressed my Realforce R2 with MDA Big Bone caps.

234149-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2020, 09:28:03 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6492 on: Fri, 24 January 2020, 12:01:09 »
I am currently using my apocalypse-prepared Corsair K65 with Kailh box navies and some cheap Amazon "Dolch" doubleshots with teal legends I recently picked up. The apocalypse cable is at home, I only have one that doesn't still need some tweaks. I modified the space bar to fit with a razor blade.

234226-0

Offline VP

« Reply #6493 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 05:11:15 »
I have got to test IBM Model M (1985). I am using Cherry MX Blue keyboard. Now I have a chance to meet the legendary Model M. Buckling springs are fine, but I like the Cherry MX Blue more. I do not like the sound of buckling springs.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6494 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 13:26:31 »
I have got to test IBM Model M (1985). I am using Cherry MX Blue keyboard. Now I have a chance to meet the legendary Model M. Buckling springs are fine, but I like the Cherry MX Blue more. I do not like the sound of buckling springs.

Would you like me to show you out? The exit is just over there.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6495 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 14:49:27 »

If I were you, I would reserve my conclusions until I have had the chance to try an IBM Model F. Capacitive buckling spring is much better than membrane. If I were to compare a Model M (especially in poor shape) to Cherry MX Blue, I may also be inclined to choose Cherry MX. With the Model F, there is no contest whatsoever.

Offline VP

« Reply #6496 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 16:17:44 »
I realy like buckling springs. But MX Blue seems better. :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6497 on: Sat, 25 January 2020, 17:27:25 »

I really like buckling springs. But MX Blue seems better.

Most of us find the sound of blue Cherries annoying. LeslieAnn invented an excellent mod called "jailhousing" blues.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline AJM

« Reply #6498 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 06:45:23 »
Despite my avatar picture I'm not a fan of Buckling Springs sound, either. I think there are quite a few, who like MX blues. They may just not have as much fervor as the Buckling Springs and Alps faction.
At least I see no need to immediately trying to convert them to ones own "conviction".

Offline TheDroidClicks

• newb that types alot
« Reply #6499 on: Sun, 26 January 2020, 11:25:58 »
Just joined the community :cool: Currently I am using a Logitech G19 keyboard - I look forward ditching that to get a mechanical one that better suits my needs at work. I stumbled upon this forum in my search for the perfect upgrade and wow do I have a lot to learn regarding this new found hobby. Somehow I have already set my eyes on trying to find a CM QFR XT Stealth with MX Blues or MX Greens. Hopefully I am moving in the correct direction! Looking forward to learning more regarding this hobby.