Author Topic: Magicforce 68 Troubleshooting - Stutter-like problem  (Read 5632 times)

Offline Vox

Magicforce 68 Troubleshooting - Stutter-like problem
« on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:33:48 »
Hello! Forgive me if this was posted in the wrong subforum.

So I got my magicforce 68 and today I really wanted to try it out. I typed an essay with no problems but when I went to play Overwatch I was met with a big problem. When I hold down W or any other button to move, it stutters a lot as if I had bad ping or a crappy computer. This happens in all games and does not occur when I plug my blackwidow back in. I linked a clip of the issue, I am holding down W for the entire clip:

https://streamable.com/d4zk8

Thanks guys!

Offline Tactile

Re: Magicforce 68 Troubleshooting - Stutter-like problem
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 21:40:29 »
If you can with that keyboard, try toggling N-key rollover. If it's off, turn it on or vise versa.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Vox

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 July 2017, 22:05:27 »
If you can with that keyboard, try toggling N-key rollover. If it's off, turn it on or vise versa.

While trying to figure out if there was any way to change to toggle n-key rollover I saw that I could change the polling rate. The default was 40C/S. Only the 20C/S setting worked fine in games. 60C/S was even worse than the 40C/S. I don't understand why people change the polling rate and why I would need to change it for the keyboard would work though.

Also, what would be the best way to silence the clack as it is quite loud. I don't like o-rings though.
Thanks

Offline Bi0

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 00:13:08 »
Hey Vox.

I have one of the Magic Force 68's and notice the stutter as well you pretty much have to use 20 c/s polling for games sadly.  I'm guessing it has something to do with how the board is trying to force that faster polling and the game is in turn seeing it as multiple keypresses or something similar.  When I was using mine I just left it at 20, you don't really notice the difference inside or outside of gaming. 

As for silencing, other than opening the switches and changing the stem or going to a one piece stem, etc...  Your best option really is the orings sadly. Most other ways to silence or quite them down involve desoldering the switches.

Hope that helps!

Offline raxander

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 July 2017, 19:44:12 »
Also, what would be the best way to silence the clack as it is quite loud. I don't like o-rings though.

Zealencios might be an option: https://zealpc.net/products/zealencio.  Way more expensive than o-rings though.

Offline Vox

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 01:08:41 »
Hey Vox.

I have one of the Magic Force 68's and notice the stutter as well you pretty much have to use 20 c/s polling for games sadly.  I'm guessing it has something to do with how the board is trying to force that faster polling and the game is in turn seeing it as multiple keypresses or something similar.  When I was using mine I just left it at 20, you don't really notice the difference inside or outside of gaming. 

As for silencing, other than opening the switches and changing the stem or going to a one piece stem, etc...  Your best option really is the orings sadly. Most other ways to silence or quite them down involve desoldering the switches.

Hope that helps!

Why do people change the polling rate anyway? Does it enhance typing performance or something? I couldn't notice any difference between the two settings other than the stutter of course. Could you possible link or give the name of the stems I would be looking for as I'm having trouble finding them?

Offline Vox

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 01:21:24 »

Zealencios might be an option: https://zealpc.net/products/zealencio.  Way more expensive than o-rings though.

yeah, $50 is rather expensive especially as I'm paying $140ish for other stuff for this keyboard...

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 July 2017, 03:28:27 »
Hey Vox.

Hope that helps!

Why do people change the polling rate anyway? Does it enhance typing performance or something? I couldn't notice any difference between the two settings other than the stutter of course. Could you possible link or give the name of the stems I would be looking for as I'm having trouble finding them?
There's something on this forum about it.

Yeah polling rate refers to how frequent the computer checks the USB for data.

125 hz = 8 milliseconds and 1000 hz = 1 milliseconds.

Oh mouse it's important because you want fast and accurate movement.  But on keyboard it's mostly a gimmick because keyboards have built in delay on key strokes.

What happens is that when you press a key, the contact metal (to complete the circuit) will actually vibrate a little bit before it settles and it will register as a few keystrokes even though you only press it down once.

So they implement a delay to basically kill off all the extra keystrokes after the initial one.  It's generally a really short delay until it takes another command.

The delay typically is long enough to kill off any benefit of having 1000 hz polling rate, so people don't bother with it on keyboards.

However if you want fastest input possible then use PS2 connection since it's interrupt based, so the moment your keyboard sends a signal your computer will gets it.

From this thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64039.0