Author Topic: [GB] MIRA SE - Custom 80% Keyboard (CLOSED)  (Read 494253 times)

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
Anyone that received an email from paypal that their item was shipped - untrue obviously. It happened because of a work around to prevent paypal from locking the paypal account.
Why does that even happen? And do you know when this may or may not happen?

Looking forward to my MIRA!

Paypal requires you to send a product, they dont technically allow group buys. So the GB runner lies and says its shipped so Paypal doesnt freeze the account.

Offline nevaenuf

Anyone that received an email from paypal that their item was shipped - untrue obviously. It happened because of a work around to prevent paypal from locking the paypal account.

Paypal requires you to send a product, they dont technically allow group buys. So the GB runner lies and says its shipped so Paypal doesnt freeze the account.

That's interesting.  If one of these group buys goes south, does this process affect the buyer's ability to get money back from PayPal?  I always assumed that people preferred PayPal because it offers some level of protection.  Has anyone gone through the process of attempting a reimbursement if the item's already been marked as shipped and PayPal's already released the funds? 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"

That's interesting.  If one of these group buys goes south, does this process affect the buyer's ability to get money back from PayPal?  I always assumed that people preferred PayPal because it offers some level of protection.  Has anyone gone through the process of attempting a reimbursement if the item's already been marked as shipped and PayPal's already released the funds?

it absolutely affects that

makes it a huge PITA for everyone involved
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Actually this is something that should have only affected the recent few slot transfers.  What happened was ninja used the 'shipped' option to clear the funds from being held by paypal instead of 'processed' -- an accidental mistake on his part.  As soon as I saw the posts here about shipping notifications, I realized that must have been the root cause.  The original payments months ago were set to 'processed' correctly, which is PayPal's preferred method of marking preorders without a clear shipping date (he had talked to PayPal a number of times about how to approach this group buy before he started taking payments).  Anyone whose order has been marked as "shipped" (hence the e-mails) and if if bothers you, please send a PM to ninja to sort it out.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Actually this is something that should have only affected the recent few slot transfers.  What happened was ninja used the 'shipped' option to clear the funds from being held by paypal instead of 'processed' -- an accidental mistake on his part.  As soon as I saw the posts here about shipping notifications, I realized that must have been the root cause.  The original payments months ago were set to 'processed' correctly, which is PayPal's preferred method of marking preorders without a clear shipping date (he had talked to PayPal a number of times about how to approach this group buy before he started taking payments).  Anyone whose order has been marked as "shipped" (hence the e-mails) and if if bothers you, please send a PM to ninja to sort it out.

Thanks photoE.

I'm probably gonna have a change of address anyway, depending on when these come in. Doesn't bug me at all.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline wodan

Having your order marked as shipped does _not_ affect your ability to file a dispute at all so don't be worried. The seller has to provide ACTIVE or COMPLETED tracking to satisfy the PayPal dispute team.

Offline ninjadoc

I apologize to anyone that received the notices and I will be happy to re-invoice all that received them - just PM me.
In order for funds to be available orders must be processed or shipped. The option is in a drop down menu and if you get distracted, your computer or theirs lags, you twitch - you may hit the wrong option. If you look in the thread of one of LZ's recent GB's he apparently made the same error on an order or two. Thanks to Photoelectric for her more articulate explanation and the GB's participants for their patience and understanding.

Offline ninjadoc

Actually the product must be processed or shipped. I spent a lot of time on the phone with them so I would know their rules and so that had documentation of what I was doing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 July 2017, 08:16:03 by ninjadoc »

Offline ninjadoc

Doing that only accomplishes one thing for you in a group buy - it locks the organizers account. The organizer can't access the funds and PayPal won't refund them to the buyer. That can result in both you and other participants in whatever GB that is done in not receiving their money or their product. I know this has happened in the past in other GB's resulting in a bad outcome for the organizer of the GB and the participants. That is why PayPal states a dispute should be done only as a last resort.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy

Actually the product must be processed or shipped. I spent a lot of time on the phone with them so I would know their rules and so that had documentation of what I was doing.

Im not knocking you for using the tools at your disposal to get the job done, I understand what it requires to get **** done thru paypal. Thanks for running this at all!

Offline nevaenuf

Doing that only accomplishes one thing for you in a group buy - it locks the organizers account. The organizer can't access the funds and PayPal won't refund them to the buyer. That can result in both you and other participants in whatever GB that is done in not receiving their money or their product. I know this has happened in the past in other GB's resulting in a bad outcome for the organizer of the GB and the participants. That is why PayPal states a dispute should be done only as a last resort.

Makes sense.  Hence the CAVEATS. 

Offline 1905ChelseaBlues

Hey everyone, I hang around reddit quite a bit and finally made my way over here due to this beauty. Truly an awesome board. Is there anyone who is in on the buy that is thinking about giving up their spot? I'm kicking myself for missing this and would love some way to get in on it!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Hey everyone, I hang around reddit quite a bit and finally made my way over here due to this beauty. Truly an awesome board. Is there anyone who is in on the buy that is thinking about giving up their spot? I'm kicking myself for missing this and would love some way to get in on it!

If you can't get one right now, you might have better luck when they ship. Usually right as a GB ships, some get listed on classifieds or /r/mechmarket for close to GB price.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Any pics of the ano process?

Norbauer has me reading about it.

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
What are the chances of me being able to purchase a PCB this late into the group buy???

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
What are the chances of me being able to purchase a PCB this late into the group buy???

You can always message Leeku and purchase a TX87 pcb. Furthermore, the MIRA SE is compatible with multiple PCBs, more information is on the first post.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
You can always message Leeku and purchase a TX87 pcb. Furthermore, the MIRA SE is compatible with multiple PCBs, more information is on the first post.

Ahh okay, I will. I'm just looking for a pre soldered 80% pcb.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Ninjadoc actually got extra PCBs (overcounted a bit), so he can add an extra to an order. PM him if you want extra TX87 PCB(s).

Offline bigDave

• The biggest
Ninjadoc actually got extra PCBs (overcounted a bit), so he can add an extra to an order. PM him if you want extra TX87 PCB(s).

Sounds good, I will drop him a PM

Offline Damonskv

If anyone is interesting in taking my spot, shoot me PM. I'm 23 on the sheet. I got wkl pink, pink plate, brass weight.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
If anyone is interesting in taking my spot, shoot me PM. I'm 23 on the sheet. I got wkl pink, pink plate, brass weight.

Dammit I want that numbered weight.

Offline Damonskv

Dammit I want that numbered weight.
Man, it only number on list ;)

Offline theillumedpanda

• Don't point that gun at me - I'm an unpaid intern!
Ninjadoc, can you already say what kinds of materials you're able to offer for the Alps plates?

Offline Sissy

We all on schedule?
I put my Aristotel stems in my Zeal switch housing today, cant wait to get ahold of the board

Offline SpareWalrus

We all on schedule?
I put my Aristotel stems in my Zeal switch housing today, cant wait to get ahold of the board

I have about half of my Gateron Blues j-switched. Can't wait to get this board either. This is my first custom so it's especially awesome.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
We all on schedule?

I have about half of my Gateron Blues j-switched. Can't wait to get this board either. This is my first custom so it's especially awesome.

wait a second, your going to put gateron blues in a Mira?  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

RIP resale value

Offline SpareWalrus

We all on schedule?

wait a second, your going to put gateron blues in a Mira?  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

RIP resale value

I have a second plate if I decide to sell, so that's not really a concern.

Might put mod-m's in still instead, still undecided.

What kind of switch should I be putting in?

Offline ___q

Vintage blacks, always vintage blacks.

But seriously, use whatever switches you want, it's your board and replacing them down the line if somehow need be isn't much work.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy
We all on schedule?

RIP resale value

Not sure about how much experience you have with expensive customs like this but generally any clicky switch is looked down upon (sence they are inconsistent and generally hated by everyone, especially with some weird ass mod). Not sure if you have been exposed to the Gateron clone switch circle jerk where everyone assumes they are "better" even though they are super inconstant and the stems in them wobble a LOT side to side, not to mention a 1:1 cherry ripoff/copy/counterfeit switch..... Gateron is snake oil.

This is going to sound super elitist but IMO there are only a couple criteria of switch anatomy that I would even think about putting in this board:

Stems: Cherry Clear, Cherry Vintage Black, Cherry Speed, Cherry Silent, Mod M
Housings: Cherry or MOD
Springs: (as much as i hate sprit) Sprit gold plated springs
Lube: Techkeys krytox (viscosity depending on stem type)

But I mean its your board so do whatever you want its just like sacrilege seeing someone disrespect a board like this with clickys.  :))

Offline SpareWalrus

We all on schedule?

RIP resale value

Not sure about how much experience you have with expensive customs like this but generally any clicky switch is looked down upon (sence they are inconsistent and generally hated by everyone, especially with some weird ass mod). Not sure if you have been exposed to the Gateron clone switch circle jerk where everyone assumes they are "better" even though they are super inconstant and the stems in them wobble a LOT side to side, not to mention a 1:1 cherry ripoff/copy/counterfeit switch..... Gateron is snake oil.

This is going to sound super elitist but IMO there are only a couple criteria of switch anatomy that I would even think about putting in this board:

But I mean its your board so do whatever you want its just like sacrilege seeing someone disrespect a board like this with clickys.  :))

I see your point. They are Jailhouse blues though, so they're technically not really clicky any more at all.

Ignorant question, but what's the benefit of swapping out the springs in my Mod-Ms to spirit gold plated? Was already going to take them apart to lube them.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
I wouldn't even put MOD switches on that list. They're not gaterons, but they're not better than MX linears. Vintage Browns are much better, though hard to find.

No need to swap springs on MOD switches, if you do go that way.

Kin sells springs at similar weights to sprit springs, message him on telegram. I think it's like $3 per 100 with $1 shipping. They're not gold, but that doesn't matter.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.

Isn't the point of a custom to customize it to one's own liking? I think the only disrespect here is harping on someone for putting, god forbid, his/her preferred switch in his/her custom.

I see your point. They are Jailhouse blues though, so they're technically not really clicky any more at all.

Ignorant question, but what's the benefit of swapping out the springs in my Mod-Ms to spirit gold plated? Was already going to take them apart to lube them.

A custom spring weight if you don't like the stock spring weight.

Offline redbanshee

• actually Dade Murphy

With my personal experiences Sprit has a different (lighter, then heavy at the end) force curve that i like more then stock cherrys. Plus the gold looks dank with clear housings.

I wouldn't even put MOD switches on that list. They're not gaterons, but they're not better than MX linears. Vintage Browns are much better, though hard to find.

No need to swap springs on MOD switches, if you do go that way.

Kin sells springs at similar weights to sprit springs, message him on telegram. I think it's like $3 per 100 with $1 shipping. They're not gold, but that doesn't matter.

Forgot about Vintage Brown!! That is a very nice stem!!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
The demerit to using sprit springs, is, of course, that they're sprit springs.

Buy them from oco, at least, so that sprit doesn't get any money from it.

Offline megaforce

Omentu browns are  :thumb: as well.
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Rayoui

We all on schedule?

RIP resale value

You should put in whatever kind of switch you like best. It's your board and you should build it the way that will provide the most enjoyment for you.

Not everyone buys things just to resell them. Alas, there are far better things to invest money in than keyboards if one is just looking to make profit.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline Sissy

We all on schedule?

RIP resale value

You should put in whatever kind of switch you like best. It's your board and you should build it the way that will provide the most enjoyment for you.

Not everyone buys things just to resell them. Alas, there are far better things to invest money in than keyboards if one is just looking to make profit.
Pretty much, We all have our preferences for switches we like but it be so silly to change them based on the value you think you would get out of that.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
We all on schedule?

RIP resale value

Pretty much, We all have our preferences for switches we like but it be so silly to change them based on the value you think you would get out of that.

For me, it's more about purism/elitism. I avoid non-cherry switches on purpose, whether they're good or not.

But again, I'm not the boss of you. Put whatever you want into your mira.

Offline ninjadoc

Waiting/hoping/requested pictures - then will update.

Offline ninjadoc

PCB's - I will have extra's

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Waiting/hoping/requested pictures - then will update.

Woohoo! Thanks ninja.

Offline ninjadoc

We all on schedule?

Put the switches that you like on the board, not what others tell you that's "correct". It is your board to enjoy, not for others.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
We all on schedule?

RIP resale value

For me, it's more about purism/elitism. I avoid non-cherry switches on purpose, whether they're good or not.

But again, I'm not the boss of you. Put whatever you want into your mira.

I've been very happy with a few types of Cherry-branded switches, and have been unimpressed with Gaterons (tried a bunch of different colors) despite their high popularity.  However some of the new "3rd party" brand switches have been piquing my interest: specifically Kailh "BOX" (for the sheer interesting new design of them, as opposed to the generic Cherry-type stems that everyone else uses) and Kailh's "Speed" switches, as "Copper" seems like they can be similar to my light-spring Jailhouse Blues, and the linear click "Bronze" switches are a curiosity.  I've tried the new Cherry linear "speed Silver" in a Corsair keyboard at Microcenter and did not like them at all, but I like most of the classic/vintage Cherry switches.  Moral of the story is the same as what others wrote: get what you like to use, not what others might recommend.  Also resale value for customs is all over the place, and if I were to buy someone else's kit, I'd prefer for it to be unassembled rather than have any number of random switches I'd rather not use and spend time replacing anyway.  If you're buying a board for resale, then of course go with what's the popular switch du jour...
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 July 2017, 12:34:42 by Photoelectric »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
Pretty much agree with photoe.

Unassembled kits always sell really fast when they come up, because they're the best.

Offline iArson

PCB's - I will have extra's

I pmd you about an extra

Offline ninjadoc

Link to album of pictures is in the second post

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
Link to album of pictures is in the second post

Show Image

Woohoo! Thanks for the update!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
words cannot describe how excited i am. have waited for this for so long

Offline mason

• have fun with her, ryan
v excited!!  ;D

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
YES

very hype